• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Curious to see how long it's taking beginners to figure out how to expose the 9th Colossus' weakpoint. That shit took me forever, and I eventually had to look it up.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's the general consensus for motion blur settings (in performance mode)? Slider all the way down, halfway, default?

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I was able to get the SE from Amazon earlier today, thanks to this thread. It was already going for double the retail price on Ebay.

vgU1egI.gif
JFC at the horse animation. Team Ico really is something else when it comes to animating animal creatures.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see how long it's taking beginners to figure out how to expose the 9th Colossus' weakpoint. That shit took me forever, and I eventually had to look it up.

Colossus 9 wasn't too bad, having to trek through that particular environment to reach it helps. Colossus 10 however was an absolute bitch to figure out, though when I finally did it was immensly satisfying.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I think it has the best implementation of HDR yet in a game or at least matches Horizon. The difference in picture quality when you toggle it on/off is like night and day in this game. Blows you away with the way it looks. If you can play this in HDR even better but it's still an amazing game either way of course

Oct 31, 2017
I think it has the best implementation of HDR yet in a game or at least marches Horizon. The difference in picture quality when you toggle it on/off is like night and day in this game. Blows you away with the way it looks. If you can play this in HDR even better but it's still an amazing game either way of course
HDR never did anything for me, I guess I'm one of the weird dudes that like 3D but not HDR, anyway it's good to know that even HDR is top notch in the remake, just stellar work.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really decide whether to stick with cinematic or performance mode. I keep changing the modes but for the most part am sticking with Cinematic on my current playthrough. They both have their strengths. Cinematic definitely looks cleaner, but in motion performance looks amazing, especially the colossi. I guess I'll play it all the way in each mode.

Oct 25, 2017

9th is basically a wake up fight. It is big, angry as all fuck and takes no shit from no one. You have to figure out its weakness and then guide it to do what you want, all while avoiding one of the most vicious attacks and relentless, neverending fury.

Also it is the first Colossus where

Agro is 100% required to even survive the beginning of the fight

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't really decide whether to stick with cinematic or performance mode. I keep changing the modes but for the most part am sticking with Cinematic on my current playthrough. They both have their strengths. Cinematic definitely looks cleaner, but in motion performance looks amazing, especially the colossi. I guess I'll play it all the way in each mode.

That's my plan.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
So, just beat it on normal. Im confused about a few things.

What's the diffrerence between NG+ and 'Continue'

Also, to get all the trophies, would I have to complete the game on both difficulties and complete time attack on each difficulty?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't somebody post a pic of the controls for Agro yesterday? To pet Agro, to stand on Agro, and so on? Can't find it.

Oct 31, 2017
oh i just hear SOC world is empty and void where in BOTW you had a lot to do. hmmm
they take two very different approach to open world, botw uses the open world mainly as a playground for your toys, sotc uses its open world in a more artistic and philosophical way to invoke scale, inspire mystery and stimulate imagination, its purpose is not as explicit as botw, but it's still hugely impactful, the game just won't be as good without the long stretches of time spent galloping in endless fields in search of your next mountain to defeat.

Last edited:

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
they take two very different approach to open world, botw uses the open world mainly as a playground for your toys, sotc uses its open world in a more artistic and philosophical way to invoke scale, inspire mystery and stimulate imagination, its purpose is not as explicit as botw, but it's still hugely impactful, the game just won't be as good without the long stretches of time spent galloping in endless field in search of your next mountain to defeat.
+1 they are both excellent

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished up hard mode time attack. 3 still gave me some trouble but it was nowhere near as nightmarish as the PS3 version. 5th colossus gave me a lot more trouble than I was expecting, and for some reason there was multiple times where Wander would just let go of its wing on his own. 15th colossus surprisingly didn't give me much of an issue since people tend to list it as one of the really hard ones to complete. The one that truly gave me problems? Freaking 12th colossus. Goddamn that turtle. It requires way too many hits while going through the same boring gameplay loop over and over again, but the worst part is that 90% of the battle is just waiting for the damn thing to stop mulling around. Almost every single one of my failed attempts with that thing came from it derping around for several minutes and never exposing its stomach. There does not seem to be anything you can do to guarantee that it will show its stomach. Arrows? It'll shoot at you but then start wandering back and forth in front of the tower for no reason. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm going to go blaze through hard mode with the queen's sword. It looks so damn cool in this remake. Just to be certain, if I beat hard mode and then start a new game+ on normal, the time attack items will carry over, right? Going to tackle normal time attack tomorrow.

Also, to all you people who are running into weird glitches, can you give them to me? LOL! Glitch hunting WAS my post-game for SOTC during the PS2 era. That version of the game had so many cool and interesting glitches. It's too bad that they removed most of them in the PS3 version. I'd love to run into some of the weirder glitches in this version, but my playthroughs have mostly been normal so far.

With whatever's going on with the coins, my dream scenario would be that they open up a path to the completed version of the dam. It more or less WAS the last great secret of SOTC that so many people had been searching for, and a chance to actually explore it in-game would be amazing.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
they take two very different approach to open world, botw uses the open world mainly as a playground for your toys, sotc uses its open world in a more artistic and philosophical way to invoke scale, inspire mystery and stimulate imagination, its purpose is not as explicit as botw, but it's still hugely impactful, the game just won't be as good without the long stretches of time spent galloping in endless field in search of your next mountain to defeat.
Man, reading this reminded me how pretentious we, the fans of this game, sound to people who haven't played it, or don't like it. And yet, that is how one would describe the feelings it invokes. And it is that way by design.

Oct 31, 2017
Man, reading this reminded me how pretentious we, the fans of this game, sound to people who haven't played it, or don't like it. And yet, that is how one would describe the feelings it invokes. And it is that way by design.
pretentious is exactly the way I would describe howI was feeling writing that but I honestly don't know a better way to describe this game to someone that hasn't played it, try describing 2001: a space odyssey to people who haven't seen it, it's the same thing, the concepts in these products are just too abstract to not sound pretentious.

DoctorBat

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Playing on Performance Mode with HDR enabled and seeing quite blatant screen-tearing whenever I'm in the starting temple with Mono. But outside and everything else is buttery smooth. What gives?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
In the PS4 version many of the larger structures actually look more imposing than in the PS2 version. I'm mainly talking about the central shrine and the bridge, but also some other things. It's probably because the increased LOD lets you see more of their details from greater distances.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time playing to his just killed second colossus is that all this gam is? Travel bland world looking for a cutscene to trigger a big monster that you climb? Surely I'm missing something?

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
In the PS4 version many of the larger structures actually look more imposing than in the PS2 version. I'm mainly talking about the central shrine and the bridge, but also some other things. It's probably because the increased LOD lets you see more of their details from greater distances.

Was fighting the 3rd boss and I could see the central shrine all the way the plateau. It was awesome.

First time playing to his just killed second colossus is that all this gam is? Travel bland world looking for a cutscene to trigger a big monster that you climb? Surely I'm missing something?

It's all about the art direction and vibes man. The Colossi themselves can get pretty challenging your first time through.

Rezon

Oct 28, 2017
I think there is a bug with the 60 fps mode. The 16th has a ranged attack, and I'm fairly sure it's tied to the framerate. He's like a machine gun at 60fps but at 30fps I just walked right through it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn. What did everybody else think about the slight change they made to that cut scene right before the last Colossus fight?

Right after Agro falls into the river.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
This game is amazing, taking my time with it to get the full experience by beating one colossi at a time then exploring the world a bit after.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I just got my SE copy and oh mai gad, the packing is beautiful! Best SE I've ever purchased.

Now to install this game and lost myself in this forbidden land once again

Oct 26, 2017
Played it at my brother's place today. Looks great, especially the HDR. Even though I had the game on PS2 I never finished it, so I don't remember this anymore but these controls took a little getting used to.

We used the default modern controls and it took us a while to figure out how to properly climb and scale things, lol. The controls also gave us some problems during some of the fights and the camera didn't reallt cooperate all that well either at times.

We did kill three of them. Was kinda surprised how in a relatively short time we defeated three of them.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't believe how good this looks. This might be the best looking 60 fps console game EVER. It's as majestic as ever, too. Just sterling.

BUT!!!! maybe it's the fidelity or context or whatever, but I feel really awful playing the game. The Mammoth let out this cry that just reminded me of a hurt dog or hurt cow or something and I kind of can't.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
literally stuck on the 3rd colossus for an hour lol. i keep running up his sword and then trying to grab onto his leg to climb higher and higher but there's no jumping points and eventually my stamina runs out.

Oct 31, 2017
Yo I played this game god knows how many times and I now just discovered this watching someone's playthrough, my mind is blown:
when a new shadow man appear near Wander when he defeats a new colossus, a new white dove also appear near Mono, the symbolism in this game still manages to blow my fucking mind 13 years later

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Glad to hear everyone is enjoying it so much. I don't usually notice such a split between people choosing between performance and cinematic mode.

I just need a 20% off coupon to get in there. Working on finding one.