• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just started my separate hardmode playthrough and also started playing around with photomode and holy shit is it good.

Here's what I posted in the photography thread:
RG03RwZ.jpg

kzqoSLa.jpg

0HhzkvI.jpg

qgIndbZ.jpg

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What are the base ps4 impressions? Is the game worth playing at 30fps? Does 60 make a huge difference? I hate the idea of buying something and knowing I'm missing out on the definitive version, I may just wait til I get a Pro someday.

it plays just fine on a standard PS4..

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How was I supposed to beat Colossi 3? Apparently I got a trophy for doing it the unintended way. Which was obvious to me because he took me 30 min to fight.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
How was I supposed to beat Colossi 3? Apparently I got a trophy for doing it the unintended way. Which was obvious to me because he took me 30 min to fight.
If you stand around the middle of the arena, there's a circular plate on the floor that when the Colossi hits, it cracks his wrist guard, which falls off and then you can climb up his sword and up his arm that way once he gets his sword stuck in the ground on his next swing.

Also...
utoQgPO.gif

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Make him hit the big sword onto the round stone thing in the middle, it will break the armor on his arm, so you can climb the arm

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you stand around the middle of the arena, there's a circular plate on the floor that when the Colossi hits, it cracks his wrist guard and you can climb up his sword and up his arm that way.

Also...
utoQgPO.gif

He mustve missed the plate when I tried it lol

I was like if hitting this plate does nothing, why is it here!?

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you stand around the middle of the arena, there's a circular plate on the floor that when the Colossi hits, it cracks his wrist guard, which falls off and then you can climb up his sword and up his arm that way once he gets his sword stuck in the ground on his next swing.

Also...
utoQgPO.gif

the mountain... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
j4oNw4W.gif

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh gee, 30 minutes? Man remember that time, you will feel so proud/embarrassed when you look back at your first playthrough.

There is a plate on the ground which you need to stand on, when he pummels the ground/plate with his sword the arm armor breaks apart allowing you to climb aboard his sword and reach his body via his arm.

Just wait til you get to Colossi 11 and 14. Everyone wastes so much time on those guys.

And share your time on 15, I'd love to hear your timing on that one.

Colossi become much more difficult and unclear from Colossi 5 outward.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Protip to those playing in Performance Mode especially: try Night Filter with the intensity set 4 or 5 notches from zero. Subtle change but I think it captures the feel of the original a little better with both modes, and in Performance it remedies the somewhat flat /washed out look.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's me, or Agro controls like shit (I mean, even compared to the original) in some locations? Like in the forest I dismount because it's pretty much impossible walking with Agro in that area.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This horse controls like dookie.
Since you're probably first time playing this, one of the less obvious things about the game is that horse can get around things and navigate twisty paths on his own, like well, real horse. If you have a twisty path in front of you, you don't have to slow down and steer around every curve, you can just gallop through it by pressing forward, horse will navigate around on his own.

Protip to those playing in Performance Mode especially: try Night Filter with the intensity set 4 or 5 notches from zero. Subtle change but I think it captures the feel of the original a little better with both modes, and in Performance it remedies the somewhat flat /washed out look.
I flipped between them many times, and there is no visual difference in terms of filters and colors between the Performance and Cinematic modes. The only visual difference is that cinematic mode is higher resolution.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this remake is VERY bugged. Not gamebreaking bugs, but annoying things which only who played the original game a lot can notice.
The second colossus as I wrote bugged for me too, giving me inverse controls (a restart of the game fixed the issue), once Agro went deep down the location with water on the ground near the
TLG cave
and he couldn't come back, forcing me to reload the game.
I also noticed the physics are not 1:1 with the PS2 version (aka stuff which modify the grapping system): they are much better and improved compared to the PS3 version which was simply broken, but they are not as good as the PS2 version. I had no problem on performing the sword trick on the third colossus on PS2, here is very very hard to perform it.

Yeah, it's annoying in Time Trial hard. My bugs:

• Quadratus: Climbing on his left side makes Wanda "shaking fast + flying" along the whole side until I stop grabbing.
  • Phaedra: 8 tries and only at the 8th time it looked inside the bunker. Try 1-7 (even with shooting and staying there until the last second) it went away the moment I entered the bunker, even if it was positioned perfectly. WTF?
  • Avion: First try: Rolling + flapping nonstop without any chance of doing anything with my limited stamina.
  • Barba: I hate this fucker, always stressful start. But he clipping-punched me dead in the shelter. ???
  • Hydrus: When at his head, he's teleporting like 20 meters up and down (above and then below the water) all the time on my first try.

These are all for the Time Trial until now. 9 to go, I think there will be more ...

Maybe some of it has to do with performance mode and 60fps? I don't know. It's not gamebreaking, but most of these appeared only in Time Trial for me, which sometimes makes the whole run pointless.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, which was the wrong way? I've never beaten that Colossi without using the plate
There are various ways to get onto all of the Colossi to save time. The game's robust physics system allows for some really cool shortcuts using momentum to fling Wander to where he needs to be.

With Colossus 3, for example, speedrunners will launch from the tip of his sword up into the air and land directly on his head.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's annoying in Time Trial hard. My bugs:

• Quadratus: Climbing on his left side makes Wanda "shaking fast + flying" along the whole side until I stop grabbing.
  • Phaedra: 8 tries and only at the 8th time it looked inside the bunker. Try 1-7 (even with shooting and staying there until the last second) it went away the moment I entered the bunker, even if it was positioned perfectly. WTF?
  • Avion: First try: Rolling + flapping nonstop without any chance of doing anything with my limited stamina.
  • Barba: I hate this fucker, always stressful start. But he clipping-punched me dead in the shelter. ???
  • Hydrus: When at his head, he's teleporting like 20 meters up and down (above and then below the water) all the time on my first try.

These are all for the Time Trial until now. 9 to go, I think there will be more ...

Maybe some of it has to do with performance mode and 60fps? I don't know. It's not gamebreaking, but most of these appeared only in Time Trial for me, which sometimes makes the whole run pointless.

Man, I have literally nightmares from some Hard Time Trial challenges, I hope to not do the bis here.
For now colossus 3, which was the one giving me more problems on the PS3 version of the game, seems just fine.
I didn't trigger the bugs you described, but I need to fight the seventh colossus yet. What really bother me is Agro, it feels like he needs to be patched, controlling him wasn't wonderful on the old version, but here it's just frustrating, I hate that forest area so much.

I've played all of 1/2 hour of the remake so far and for the most part it feels identical to the original to me in terms of controls (though it's been YEARS). But for the people having trouble with Agro, I wonder if they're aware that you don't really have to micromanage her movement... Think about it more like you're controlling the reigns by 'nudging' her, then let her go and she'll pretty much go along the path effortlessly, avoiding rocks etc.. (at least from my memory and the little I played last night). I'm not saying it's not's fiddly at all, it certainly can be at times, but once you start letting her run without tugging the reigns around left and right all the time it's pretty much smooth sailing.

Dunno, as I told I played PS2 and PS3 version 35 times, and I think I know the game pretty well. But Agro seems different to me. The general tip should be to just choose a direction and push X to run, without touching the stick if not to turn in and there when needed, but in this Remake Agro simply stops in some areas like the forest. Literally, he stops walking for me.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I've played all of 1/2 hour of the remake so far and for the most part it feels identical to the original in terms of controls (though it's been YEARS). But for the people having trouble with Agro, I wonder if they're aware that you don't really have to micromanage her movement... Think about it more like you're controlling the reigns by 'nudging' her, then let her go and she'll pretty much go along the path effortlessly, avoiding rocks etc.. (at least from my memory and the little I played last night). I'm not saying it's not's fiddly at all, it certainly can be at times, but once you start letting her run without tugging the reigns around left and right all the time it's pretty much smooth sailing.

EDIT: Ah, seems like lord error and some other folks covered it. Don't mind me being a broken record....

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I can't make the stupid jump to get to the third Colossus. The one that when you miss you gotta swim across the spooky lake and run back up that spire like thing. Help me out here, what am I missing.

Edit: Never mind I got it, I always get things after I complain about it haha.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I flipped between them many times, and there is no visual difference in terms of filters and colors between the Performance and Cinematic modes. The only visual difference is that cinematic mode is higher resolution.

The grass detail. and the detail over distance are noticeably worse in Performance -- the grass even becomes less dense in spots. Cinematic just offers a richer, fuller, picture. The filter trick made switching to Performance a bit less jarring.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maan I thought roach was unwieldy. But this is even more hardcore. I don't mind it tho. It actually feels like an actual animal rather than a thing you control like MGSV horse.
The intro is really nice. Jumping back and forth between performance and resolution. Resolution is nice , looks super sharp but due to the way character controls and animates, its kinda problematic with 30 fps. Speaking about that are you OK with the way movement and controls are, like not really snappy and all

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Dan from Giant Bomb of all people effortlessly jumping from his arm to his torso.

I'm not sure that was possible before.

That's how I beat him before. I never knew about the plate until now. I found out because the normal jump to his torso seemed different from last time and I couldn't quite pull it off.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Dunno, as I told I played PS2 and PS3 version 35 times, and I think I know the game pretty well. But Agro seems different to me. The general tip should be to just choose a direction and push X to run, without touching the stick if not to turn in and there when needed, but in this Remake Agro simply stops in some areas like the forest. Literally, he stops walking for me.

Well that's disheartening to hear... I wonder if its because they've changed a lot of geometry (things might be a bit more dense in the forest) so the Agro movement isn't gelling with the new environment... That kinda sucks.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody know if using special items invalidate certain trophies.

I can't seem to get the Reminiscence one while using the mask/cloak of power and queen's sword.

II've already downed 3 with the filter on.

Edit:

I am derping SO hard with these trophies. It's Reminisce MODE, not filter.

Durr

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a newcomer to the game, I am finding the hold and jump mechanic a little tricky to get to grips with (pun intended) especially during battle. Is there any tips for a complete newbie? The game doesn't seem to always tell you what is happening e.g. why does your sword icon start pulsing and heartbeat sounds start emitting? I appreciate games that don't hold your hand, but they seem like important things to tell you?

Absolutely stunning looking game though.

Oct 25, 2017
As a newcomer to the game, I am finding the hold and jump mechanic a little tricky to get to grips with (pun intended) especially during battle. Is there any tips for a complete newbie? The game doesn't seem to always tell you what is happening e.g. why does your sword icon start pulsing and heartbeat sounds start emitting? I appreciate games that don't hold your hand, but they seem like important things to tell you?

Absolutely stunning looking game though.

When you hold your sword before stabbing and your stamina meter begins glowing, it means you are charging up strength in your blow. The longer you charge up, the stronger your blow and the bigger the damage you make.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was playing this and the PS3 version together a few hours ago and Agro controls completely the same. The only change I've noticed is that she slows down a bit in the forest areas, but if you stay on the open paths, she navigates through them without much issue.

I'm working on hard mode now and after having played normal and easy back to back before this, I'm starting to think they tweaked the grip mechanics for those modes. Wander doesn't go limp nearly as much, but playing on hard mode, it feels like its back to what it used to be.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I have the feeling that the brightness setting in this game is way off. Everything looks like fog when I follow the developers their "intended brightness"

Is it supposed to look a little washed out?

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might be the most beautiful game ever created. Combination of amazing IQ, quality HDR, rich detail, and amazing art direction. I'm not the type to use photo modes much but with this game, i cant help myself

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I'm about to tackle the 3rd colossus on hard time attack. I think I'm about to have PTSD levels of flashbacks to the PS3 version while doing this.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you hold your sword before stabbing and your stamina meter begins glowing, it means you are charging up strength in your blow. The longer you charge up, the stronger your blow and the bigger the damage you make.

Ah ok thanks. So you stay charged up until you next strike, even if running around etc?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok thanks. So you stay charged up until you next strike, even if running around etc?

No, he means when you're holding on to a colossus and you lift up your sword to stab him

Shadow-of-the-Colossus-First-Colossus.jpg

The longer you lift, the more damage you inflict.

The circle is your stamina meter, which you consume every time you do an action, such as holding on, jumping or stabbing. When it's empty, you no longer will be able to maintain your grip, until it recharges. When you see it moving, that means you're using it up.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Is this game using checkerboarding? It looks super clean to me, dunno if its just good AA or what but, combined with the HDR it looks so damn good.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, he means when you're holding on to a colossus and you lift up your sword to stab him

Shadow-of-the-Colossus-First-Colossus.jpg

The longer you lift, the more damage you inflict.

The circle is your stamina meter, which you consume every time you do an action, such as holding on, jumping or stabbing. When it's empty, you no longer will be able to maintain your grip, until it recharges. When you see it moving, that means you're using it up.

Nope. If you let go, your strength resets. You can only charge up while holding on to the Colossi and holding up your sword. If you let go or are shaken away, you lose the charge.

EDIT : Beaten. :p

Thanks guys. That makes sense as I noticed the heartbeat effect after I had been doing a lot of climbing.