• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why do you ignore the items in the pool? just pick them up.. and equip them. Press the touchpad (to go to the map) and triangle to see the items, then equip them..

No, I know how to equip them. It's just that I didn't (and still don't) understand how the game wanted me to obtain them to unlock that trophy.

I later realized they're not accessible across different saves (Normal, Hard), but I'm pissed that even though I technically have all the items, having beaten both Time Attacks, it doesn't count because I didn't "do it right".

It's annoying as fuck.

Now I'm not sure which file to delete and which to keep.

I know for sure my Normal Time Attacks are useless and will have to redo them.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No, I know how to equip them. It's just that I didn't (and still don't) understand how the game wanted me to obtain them to unlock that trophy.

I later realized they're not accessible across different saves (Normal, Hard), but I'm pissed that even though I technically have all the items, having beaten both Time Attacks, it doesn't count because I didn't "do it right".

It's annoying as fuck.

Now I'm not sure which file to delete and which to keep.

I know for sure my Normal Time Attacks are useless and will have to redo them.

maybe this guide here is better at explaining how to do it..

Speed King Trophy – Obtain All Time Attack items Together as One Set
Time Attack is unlocked after completing the game once (on Normal or Hard difficulty). To begin Time Attack, kneel before any of the 16 Colossi statues in the tower. Defeating the Colossi under the time conditions and you can unlock items. Defeat all 16 on both Normal and Hard difficulty to unlock them all as one set. To gather the items on both difficulties as one set, you must start a New Game+ and Load the gamesave that has the items saved on that file. For example:

1. Beat the game on Hard difficulty
  2. Start New Game+ on Hard difficulty. Complete Hard Time Attack and unlock all the items.
  3. Start New Game+ on Normal difficulty, loading the save file that had the Hard Time Attack difficulty items. Complete Normal Time Attack.
You don't need to complete the entire playthrough of the game. Once you've acquired the items, you can just begin a New Game+.

http://www.agoxen.com/shadow-of-the-colossus-trophy-guide-ps4/

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
This is the first game where I had to lower the brightness slider in game (with HDR). The default value made the colors too washed out.
That plus cinematic mode makes the game gorgeous on my TV. Not a fan of performance mode after using cinematic mode, I could clearly see the difference in image quality.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First time player, but man, the controls feel so awkward. Getting on the horse for the first time and all you do is spin around when moving the left stick is quite jarring.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thanks, that makes it easier to grasp.

It didn't occur to me that they would be separated per difficulty save file, or that the system wouldn't recognize you had two save files containing each set of 8 items...

I stupidly through you had to beat both Time Attacks then go to the pool and pick all 16 items one after the other for the Trophy.

Eughhhhh

Edit:

Hold on, does that mean I have to overwrite the Hard+ save file with a Normal+ one?

This both confusing and unnerving. :S

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I've no idea whats in it and I can guarantee it isn't worth the money.
I ended up buying the DLC anyway .___.

Haven't tried the items yet, but it comes with a couple of static themes and a bunch of ugly avatars:
Wander's Pack contains six items, including three in-game add-ons:
• Ancient Bow – reveals the colossi's weaknesses from further away.
• Cloak of Fate – increases Wander's health regeneration rate.
• Spotted Steed skin – changes the look of Agro, your trusty steed.

Plus, customise your PS4™ with two dynamic themes – the Colossus Theme and the Agro Theme, and a pack of 16 PlayStation® avatars – one for each iconic colossus.
The themes are bugged though, at least if you've got the physical disc version. It seems that you can only apply them from the Notifications screen; if you try it via the Themes sub-menu, you'll see there's a padlock icon on each and you'll be redirected to purchase the digital version of the game to unlock them. Uninstalling and reinstalling does nothing.

[edit] Never mind, restoring licenses fixed the issue. Definitely static themes though, not dynamic as described.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
All the special effects in the final hour are really something. This game feels so modern it's unreal.

The priest character looked fantastic compared to everyone else.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just beat Hard mode in 4:33h with 16 lizard tails.
This release is way more buggy than the original (PAL) release. On the 2nd coloss I bugged from it's tail to the front *lol*
And they seem to have changed Celosia? I played through this game more than 10 times and never died on this one. It was completely agressive and stomped on me without pause even in the corner of the fire. I couldn't really stand up and dies because of this 3 times. After landing on his back I couldn't do anything because it was just a wild beast without any chance of doing a single stab on him in minutes. WTF?

Still a great game, a shame
that Wanda's face looked great in the end sequences, but it wasn't any soiled before that like in the original.
Yeah, this remake is VERY bugged. Not gamebreaking bugs, but annoying things which only who played the original game a lot can notice.
The second colossus as I wrote bugged for me too, giving me inverse controls (a restart of the game fixed the issue), once Agro went deep down the location with water on the ground near the
TLG cave
and he couldn't come back, forcing me to reload the game.
I also noticed the physics are not 1:1 with the PS2 version (aka stuff which modify the grapping system): they are much better and improved compared to the PS3 version which was simply broken, but they are not as good as the PS2 version. I had no problem on performing the sword trick on the third colossus on PS2, here is very very hard to perform it.

Oct 27, 2017
Really digging the 60fps performance mode to be honest. Looks way better to me than Cinematic mode.

Once I switched to Performance Mode (on the third Colossus) there was no going back as it feels so much better to play for me and the game still looks great in comparison. FWIW, playing on a 4K TV with HDR. Got through the first five Colossi yesterday, looking forward to finishing the rest off over the next few days.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Alright just tried both modes on my 1080p plasma. The graphics and IQ in Performance mode are already fantastic, there must be a decent AA solution going on already because the shimmering isn't that bad. The locked 60fps is smooth as silk, this is the output I've been looking for since buying a Pro. The added fidelity of Cinematic mode doesn't even come close to being worth giving up 60fps, at least if you're just downsampling back to 1080. I mean if base PS4 are getting the same visuals as Performance mode at locked 30fps that's a great result too.

Yeah, the more I play the more I'm leaning towards performance with the same reasons and this is on a 4K TV. The AA used in Performance mode isn't half bad. Sure you can see some jaggies on distant things but it never becomes an issue in the fights and the performance bump is fan-freaking-tastic.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, seems like the hunt for all 79 enlightenment thingies is still underway. Shouldn't be long now until someone finds them all. I'm really curious as to what the reward will be.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, seems like the hunt for all 79 enlightenment thingies is still underway. Shouldn't be long now until someone finds them all. I'm really curious as to what the reward will be.

I was so gutted when I heard it was 79 and counting and not 20. I found 18 and thought I was a tip-of-the-spear hot shot...

I saw someone mention an engineer at BP changed Agro into a rainbow unicorn for the LOLZ one night.

Could be it.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I was so gutted when I heard it was 79 and counting and not 20. I found 18 and thought I was a tip-of-the-spear hot shot...

I saw someone mention an engineer at BP changed Agro into a rainbow unicorn for the LOLZ one night.

Could be it.
I'm still thinking that it'll be access to that island where the enlightenment count is on the map.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Picking up my UK copy from Smyths on my way home from work today. Only on an OG PS4 so no 60fps sweetness for me but I can't wait. I haven't play SotC since it came out and I've got a lot of memories attached to that time of my life that the game is intrinsically tied to. A lot of nostalgia! Looking forward to it.

Oct 27, 2017

Could be it.

I am digging all the wild theories on what, if anything, happens when they are all collected. From a way out there ICO castle submerged and rising into the world, to the unicorn.

Reminds me of the days before the internet existed, and all the wild gaming theories that transpired. Well done Bluepoint. Making us feel the joys of our hobby in various (almost lost) aspects again.

Even if it turns out to not be anything of grandeur, watching and reading the ride to it, is something I have not enjoyed in quite some time until the past few days.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am digging all the wild theories on what, if anything, happens when they are all collected. From a way out there ICO castle submerged and rising into the world, to the unicorn.

Reminds me of the days before the internet existed, and all the wild gaming theories that transpired. Well done Bluepoint. Making us feel the joys of our hobby in various (almost lost) aspects again.

Even if it turns out to not be anything of grandeur, watching and reading the ride to it, is something I have not enjoyed in quite some time until the past few days.

For reals.

This goes hand in hand with the advice I was trying to give new players of avoiding the urge to look to the internet for hints at all costs. Part of SOTC magic is belonging to an era when the internet wasn't as readily available and bustling with gaming channels and communities, which lead to games being mystified and gave rise to wild theories and digital legends.

This is totally bringing back that magic.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
First time player, but man, the controls feel so awkward. Getting on the horse for the first time and all you do is spin around when moving the left stick is quite jarring.

Damn, this was my main issue with the PS3 remaster (my first time) and I ended up quitting because of it. So the PS4 remake doesn't remedy this? Almost all the reviews mention upgraded/updated controls.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Collectors Edition is glorious. Smashed through the first three colossi and stopped just before my favorite. Truly feels like a new game. Bluepoint! You guys/gals really outdid yourselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding bugs I encountered in this version, I've had Agro completely ignore my calls to come to me a couple of times.

I also got temporarily stuck in invisible geometry while standing in the edge near Avion's lair (on the cliff overlooking the waterfalls). I spent some minutes trying to break free and in the end it worked, but no such thing ever happened to me in the previous versions.

Oct 27, 2017
For reals.

This goes hand in hand with the advice I was trying to give new players of avoiding the urge to look to the internet for hints at all costs. Part of SOTC magic is belonging to an era when the internet wasn't as readily available and bustling with gaming channels and communities, which lead to games being mystified and gave rise to wild theories and digital legends.

This is totally bringing back that magic.

I could not agree more, well said.

By the way, this will be my first play-through as well. I had the OG and only played to the first Colossi the week it launched but never touched it again (lot of different directions I was taking in gaming, etc., height of couples gaming for me and MMOs), have the PS3 collection since release, but only replayed ICO, a game I adore so much, and never got around to SotC (was going to play it in December, but never got around to it/backlog/time off from gaming, etc). So 3 times a charm, and what a great time for it indeed. Copy arrives today at my office.

This is going to bring me back 12+ years, and hit a wave of what we were just discussing, and I look forward to riding it through!

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Probably already asked but is there a difference between the amazon preorder bonus and the dlc
that comes with the special edition?

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Colosi get harder as it goes? This is my first time playing and I got through 8 of them last night while streaming in 2 hours 45 minutes. I didn't explore a lot, but I did get quite a few lizard tails (haven't seen or collected any fruit, no idea where that stuff is).

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First time gonna play this game. And can't decide which mode I want to run the game. Lol

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Do the Colosi get harder as it goes? This is my first time playing and I got through 8 of them last night while streaming in 2 hours 45 minutes. I didn't explore a lot, but I did get quite a few lizard tails (haven't seen or collected any fruit, no idea where that stuff is).

My first time around, 9 was the first colossus I had real difficulty with.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
EUvFL39.gif

lanczos

Oct 31, 2017
Not really imo, since despite the many complaints about the controls the execution isn't supposed to be really difficult or challenging. It's more of a puzzle game where you'll get stuck if the solution isn't immediately obvious to you. And the hints go a long way when you do get temporarily stuck (could be better to turn them off for this reason). It's probably a bit more of a challenge if you skip all the fruit and lizards though, the game never explicitly tells you about either so they're more or less optional.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I read that it's more than resolution, right? Like bloom, light shafts and stuff are more pronounced
Yeah, you get a few visual perks in Cinematic mode along with the resolution boost. Light shafts are more pronounced, grass seems to render further out in the distance with ambient occlusion applied to it, etc.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
Bleh... just can't get HDR on this game looking any good on my Sony X800D. So completely washed out and muted looking with it on, with it off it looks absolutely luscious.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Bleh... just can't get HDR on this game looking any good on my Sony X800D. So completely washed out and muted looking with it on, with it off it looks absolutely luscious.

Yeah, having exact same issues with TCP P605, Horizon was so easy to calibrate in comparison.

I'm continuing with HDR off. Everything just looks so much more vibrant and attractive with it off. I couldn't get rid of the extremely washed out yellow tint on everything with HDR even with expert settings.

Oct 25, 2017
So... My memory may be failing me on this but, isn't the map changed in some areas? I don't recall a second pathway next to Gaius (3rd) lair in the original version.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
"Modern controls" are good so far, but.... is there NO WAY to pet Agro using this config? If so, that's a travesty!

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
What are the base ps4 impressions? Is the game worth playing at 30fps? Does 60 make a huge difference? I hate the idea of buying something and knowing I'm missing out on the definitive version, I may just wait til I get a Pro someday.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So... My memory may be failing me on this but, isn't the map changed in some areas? I don't recall a second pathway next to Gaius (3rd) lair in the original version.
Yeah, I've definitely noticed new pathways and changes scattered throughout the Forbidden Lands. They're all subtly implemented, and I like having new places to explore in a game that I've already played through dozens of times before.

Also, here's another undocumented command that you can give Wander for new players:

When jumping over water, press and hold Triangle (modern controls) or X (classic controls) to transition into a dive. This is particularly fun to do from great heights.

Also, as others have mentioned you can press Square (modern) or Circle (classic) while standing next to Agro or while sitting on her to pet her.

You can also grab onto birds and fish using R2 (modern) or R1 (classic), including the doves that congregate around Mono's altar.