• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone enlighten me in regards to the platinum playthrough. I plan on platinuming it but confused on a few things

1. For time attack is it boss by boss seperate or do you have to do the time attack for all 16 bosses in one go? Can I select which ones on which difficulty (I heard you have to do time attack on normal and hard for each boss too?)

2. For speed run trophy can I carry my stamina over to new game plus and still go for the speed run with extra life and stamina?

3. What difficulty are you guys playing this on? Shall I start on hard just to get the beating it on hard trophy out of the way first? And then do speed run after on normal?

4. Lastly to get all fruits and collectibles can you do this in one playthrough? Or do you need more stamina than the game gives you so you have to carry it over to another playthrough? Wouldn't that mean I couldn't go for the speed run until a third or fourth playthrough?

Last edited:

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That forest on the way to the 12th colossus is so damn good. Also, I wish they had made a way for you to get down to all those water falls on the way to that colossus. You have no idea how much time I spent trying to get down there back in the day.

Also, playing this is making me want a new Elder Scrolls game so badly. I want a new Elder Scrolls game to wander around in with graphics this good. Declining substance of Bethesta RPGs or not, they still know how to make a beautiful world to explore. Too bad they seem dead set on not coming out with a new Elder Scrolls game this gen. ):

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone enlighten me in regards to the platinum playthrough. I plan on platinuming it but confused on a few things

1. For time attack is it boss by boss seperate or do you have to do the time attack for all 16 bosses in one go? Can I select which ones on which difficulty (I heard you have to do time attack on normal and hard for each boss too?)

2. For speed run trophy can I carry my stamina over to new game plus and still go for the speed run with extra life and stamina?

3. What difficulty are you guys playing this on? Shall I start on hard just to get the heating it on hard trophy out of the way first? And then do speed run after on normal?

4. Lastly to get all fruits and collectibles can you do this in one playthrough? Or do you need more stamina than the game gives you so you have to carry it over to another playthrough? Wouldn't that mean I couldn't go for the speed run until a third or fourth playthrough?

There is a trophy guide here that will answer most questions..
http://www.powerpyx.com/shadow-of-the-colossus-ps4-remake-trophy-guide-roadmap/

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Can you really not pet Agro while playing with modern controls??? Game ruined.

Oh, thank god, I thought I had imagined petting Agro! I can't find a way to do it. (I was having a crisis - did I spend so much time petting Trico in TLG that I now want to instinctively pet Agro?! But I swear I used to pet her in the original!)

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I think I had Agro somehow glitch to the bottom of the lake during the 12th colossus fight. Whenever I'd have the camera focus in her direction, it would focus toward the bottom of the lake like she's down there moving around. Hope she can hold her breath LOL

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, thank god, I thought I had imagined petting Agro! I can't find a way to do it. (I was having a crisis - did I spend so much time petting Trico in TLG that I now want to instinctively pet Agro?! But I swear I used to pet her in the original!)

• [*]
    x.png
    to jump of its back
    [*]
    l-down.png
    +
    triangle.png
    while standing still to start a gallop
    [*]
    l-down.png
    +
    triangle.png
    while galloping to perform a quick stop
    [*]
    l-down.png
    +
    triangle.png
    twice, for agro to turn quickly
    [*]while galopping press
    r2.png
    +
    l-up.png
    to stand up
    [*]while galopping hold
    r2.png
    and
    x.png
    and press
    l-left.png
    to hang on Agros left side
    [*]while galopping hold
    r2.png
    and
    x.png
    and press
    l-right.png
    to hang on Agros right side
    [*]jump with Agro from any small cliff
    [*]Pet - Press O when standing next to aggro, and while sitting on him when not moving.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any trick to beating the 13th colossus in one go? I've pulled it off on occasion back in the day, but it was completely random. I'd like to be able to deal with it during the time attacks without it going under the sand, and I've seen speed runners do it, but I still have no idea how its pulled off correctly.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fighting the 7th colossus right now. Game is sexy. With some tweaking of filters you can get it to look MUCH more like it did on the PS2. I'm so happy they included those. With that done, I have pretty much no beef with the environment: Environment art + filter lighting results in what I feel is a faithful look to GenDesign's visual style. The ONLY problem is Wander. Oddly enough, Mono (and the dudes at the end, based on the footage I've seen) look absolutely fine. But his stylization seems to be gone, as well as much of what gives him character (the way he reacts to things like swinging the sword, being his, etc). It's a noticeable flaw in what would otherwise be a 10/10 game for me. Bluepoint shoulda hired a character artist/animator from Gendesign to collab with them and make the characters. I hope they can fix the stiff animations and lack of face movement in a patch, and will not make this mistake again if they remake Ico.

I miss the nuclear bloom. This lighting may be more natural and such, but it's got an entirely different feel and the filters don't really manage anything like the original look. I don't really know how to express it properly, but it makes the game feel more normal and almost generic. The intro alone suddenly didn't look like SotC, it looked like any random game. It looks good of course, but it didn't feel like SotC. I've only quickly done the first Colossus, but there seems to definitely be a huge tonal shift thanks to that. I'm not saying it's bad per se (not at this point), but it's certainly different.

If you change over to the "Bright" filter and pump up the effect like 75% you might be surprised how accurately the lighting matches the original.

Last edited:

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

• [*]
    x.png
    to jump of its back
    [*]
    l-down.png
    +
    triangle.png
    while standing still to start a gallop
    [*]
    l-down.png
    +
    triangle.png
    while galloping to perform a quick stop
    [*]
    l-down.png
    +
    triangle.png
    twice, for agro to turn quickly
    [*]while galopping press
    r2.png
    +
    l-up.png
    to stand up
    [*]while galopping hold
    r2.png
    and
    x.png
    and press
    l-left.png
    to hang on Agros left side
    [*]while galopping hold
    r2.png
    and
    x.png
    and press
    l-right.png
    to hang on Agros right side
    [*]jump with Agro from any small cliff
    [*]Pet - Press O when standing next to aggro, and while sitting on him when not moving.

Thank you! I must not have had the right angle for the pat. brb, patting the hell outta poor Agro.

Edit: Or square! Will try both.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, once you get inside the castle for the 15th colossus, there used to be a door there that people speculated that if you could find a way to open it, it would take you to the 17th colossus. Now the door is broken down into ruins and shows that all it does is lead to the other side of the wall. I almost want to believe it's a jab at the 17th colossus hunters of old.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
man I just had a crazy thought...

what if those collectible shining coins unlocks... a fight against TRICO...? there already is an easter egg connected to that game.. and fuck that would be hard on the feelings..

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry but I triggered an awful bug. As soon as I try to climb on the second colossus, my controls invert, making impossible to actually climb on it.
If I push up Wander goes down, if I push left he goes right. It happens exactly when I push R1 to climb on the colossus, I don't know how to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUagN7cw1Ts

The video is still processing and it should be available in a moment, but I quit playing because I was so angry and I couldn't find a way around it.
Playing on Hard if this can help.

EDIT: Another thing: if you notice in the second colossus Wander does a weird animation when running, this is another bug too, since it doesn't happen in the original.

Am I the only one who got those problems?

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Onto the last colossus. I'm super disappointed that Wander doesn't look anywhere near as banged up by the end as he did in the original.

Edit: The rain starting earlier when 'that' scene happens is A+ though.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i played till the 3rd colossus last night...while i think its graphically tremendous, it faces the problem every game with near photorealistic look has: there is little room left for imagination. and gaming for 30 years now, thats exactly my problem with many of todays games..

the moment to moment gameplay while simple (climb the coloss and stab him) in this its more like a puzzle game, you must find the weakspot, find the way to climb the colossi, its certainly better than The Last Guardian in the gameplay department.

i really don`t like the protagonist animations, he is a little too tipsy for me

So far so cool, but certainly no mindblower (for me at least, but i have seen so many games, its rare that a game really blows me really away these days).

What i really really like is the scope of the world and the feeling of nature..its majestic, gigantic and there is a feeling of "you in this world" thats really well done here. there is some mystic, sacral air blowing that i really appreciate

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the new rain effect during the climb just to get to the last colossus is so damn good.

Edit: And the rain dripping off the last colossus now. This is sooo damn good.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Can't find a lizard tail nor a fruit in trees. Why the hell im forgetting all this!

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can't find a lizard tail nor a fruit in trees. Why the hell im forgetting all this!

lizard tails are found on a "save" shrine.. there is always at least one lizard at a shrine.

Fruits are hanging around in lots of places... BUT I am colorblind, so I have a problem spotting them most of the time..

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
lizard tails are found on a "save" shrine.. there is always at least one lizard at a shrine.

Fruits are hanging around in lots of places... BUT I am colorblind, so I have a problem spotting them most of the time..
Ah right, thank you! I'm colorblind too so I'll have a hard time as welll

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squirrel is still in the ending 10/10, best remake ever. Was some of the ending music re-arranged, because it sounds a little different to me, although I'm not sure if it's just my TV.

Hawk doesn't make its call at the end of the game anymore. O/10, worst remake ever.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game is stunning in its simplicity. The world is so empty yet captivating at the same time.

Just took a break from work and beat the first 2 colossi. Controls are still a tad janky at times but everything else more than makes up for it.

Bluepoint did a great job here.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
For people having issues with the horse, just remember that you are guiding the horse, not directly controlling it. I really struggled with using the horse way back when until I was given that advice and suddenly it clicked. If you try to control the horse as if you are the horse, you're going to trouble with it. While riding through the forbidden lands, just remember that she will, in most cases, avoid running into things on her own, so just move the stick slightly to course correct when you need to and she usually will handle the rest.
This so much this.

This can be applied to TLG as well.

Its not games fault at all.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
For people having issues with the horse, give him a boost with triangle button then use the left stick only to correct direction. You don't need to push the left stick like a madman, only slight touches works well.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I rented this from Red Box and I'm just rushing through it to check it out. So far im half way done in 1 hr and 40 min, but my god it's gorgeous. I'll need to buy it eventually and actually take it all in.
You are playing it wrong. Explore the world. Roam bro. Colossi to Colossi is not a good approach.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Much like The Last Guardian, you shouldn't be wrestling with the camera or horse controls. Your job is to guide it with short, soft movements in most cases. I understand that it's difficult to adjust to this given that it's how we control the vast majority of games, but it will save you a lot of frustration if you learn to let the horse and camera controls have some autonomy.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so here's my general thoughts now that I've completed my first run through of the game. While this is very much the definitive version of SOTC for new comers who won't notice any of the changes, for a long time SOTC player like me, I do still feel like there isn't a definitive version of the game. The PS2 has its frame rate problems, the PS3 version has the grip issue, and while there is so much that I love about this remake, there is still a lot that I'm missing from the original version that been changed here. It's a bunch of little things that add up for me, like Wander's corruption being way too subtle now, many of the sound effect changes for the colossi being much worse than the original, and a few art style changes that I'm not fond of. Overall I'd say that if I want to play SOTC in the future, I'll definitely play this, but if I'm feeling really nostalgic, I'll still crack out the PS3 version on occasion and deal with the grip problem. I'd love for there to be another re-release of the HD version somewhere down the line with the grip issue fixed for us old time fans, but this remake is still stellar, aside from some changes that I'm not fond of. This was the last game on the planet I ever thought would get a full blown remake, and I was grinning like an idiot while playing through this at so many points. While somewhat flawed due to some of its changes from the original, it's still absolutely amazing to play through.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Damn, died for the first time. Those smog clouds kill you much faster than I remember. One shot behind me that I was barely in finished me off in seconds.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Booting it up now. This better be the best game in the history of life and better looking than Horizon: Zero Dawn 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, even though I still prefer the aesthetics of the original game, it really doesn't bother me while playing, unless I'm directly comparing it to the original. So that's a fantastic thing for me, as the 60fps really make this feel so amazing, and I think this will be the version I come back to the most.

There's one exception, though: Wander's face and hair being made of plastic during gameplay is just as weird when you're playing as it is when you're looking at gifs. I hope they patch it. It is true that you don't see the face that often when you're playing through the game normally, but it only makes it even more jarring when you do look at his face for whatever reason.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Squirrel is still in the ending 10/10, best remake ever. Was some of the ending music re-arranged, because it sounds a little different to me, although I'm not sure if it's just my TV.

Hawk doesn't make its call at the end of the game anymore. O/10, worst remake ever.

Yeah the ending music is slightly different.