• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
gaming since 1989, i am 36 years old now... and i have never played the original game...

it was a time where i paused gaming for a few years, so i am, on one hand, really excited for this experience. but on the other hand, i am a little wary cause i don´t really liked The Last Guardian so much...i am not really a fan of cinematic experiences and more of a "gameplay first!" guy

am i in for a major disappointment or should i go ahead and buy this remaster?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
gaming since 1989, i am 36 years old now... and i have never played the original game...

it was a time where i paused gaming for a few years, so i am, on one hand, really excited for this experience. but on the other hand, i am a little wary cause i don´t really liked The Last Guardian so much...i am not really a fan of cinematic experiences and more of a "gameplay first!" guy

SotC is basically a pure boss rush game, pretty different to TLG. ;) The controls and camera are also not nearly as frustrating as in TLG.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017

I'll admit that I haven't played TLG but I have played and finished ICO and while I loved it I much prefered SOTC. It's much more action gameplay orientated, you take in the sights on the way to the bosses but when you hit the bosses it's pure action gameplay which I love.

If there's one of Team ICO's games you'll enjoy chances are it'll be this one.
Pre load ready to go! One day and 12 hours to go!
What's the file size if you don't mind me asking?

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
One of the greatest games i have ever experienced.
Finished it 2 times on Ps2, 2 times on Ps3, and the soundtrack is always present on my phone and in the car (Dat intro song).

Cannot Fucking wait to re-experience it all again on PS4.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Can anyone post some impressions on how loud the PS4pro gets when playing in performance/cinematic mode? Would be a shame if the jet takes off during some emotional scenes.

Oct 30, 2017
Wow... the design of the OT is really beautiful and fit the game so much, well done :-)

I can't wait to get this, will spend hours just exploring and admiring the gorgeous world.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone post some impressions on how loud the PS4pro gets when playing in performance/cinematic mode? Would be a shame if the jet takes off during some emotional scenes.

I have played through the game in Performance mode on my Pro. The Pro did never go into overdrive mode, it ran fine.
Last night I tried some time attack challenges in Cinematic mode .. and my PS4 Pro was way more noisy.. especially when you unlock an item and go to the pool to pick it up. It is the combination of lightning and water that makes the fans speed up.

So what I experienced was that Performance mode does not stress the Pro as much as Cinematic mode.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I have played through the game in Performance mode on my Pro. The Pro did never go into overdrive mode, it ran fine.
Last night I tried some time attack challenges in Cinematic mode .. and my PS4 Pro was way more noisy.. especially when you unlock an item and go to the pool to pick it up. It is the combination of lightning and water that makes the fans speed up.

So what I experienced was that Performance mode does not stress the Pro as much as Cinematic mode.

Thanks for the quick reply! Performance mode it is then.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the footage I saw from digital foundry, performance mode looks good enough, I mean 1440p isn't that huge of a jump to take 30fps over 60fps. The 60fps footage looks amazing.

Whoop, first time I turned my Pro on since the X launch.....can't wait to play this bad boy.

I remember picking this up as a kid when we were on vacation. We went to the local mall and I got arguably the two of my favorite games on each genre without even knowing. Shadow of the Colossus and need for speed MW black edition.

Never did I realize how much I would replay shadow of the colossus on normal mode....the sites, lizards for stamina increase and just all the beautiful locations.

It was an empty world that I enjoyed....didn't need any quests or what not to explore. You enjoyed the beauty of the world and the lore that you came up with your own personal ideas of what could have happened. What were these mysterious lands with creatures? Why were they here, and why must I kill them? Are they really evil? This along with YouTube slowly coming about, you got to see fan theories and truly wonder yourself. Never has a game, had my Jaw drop. I cannot wait for the um......Titan 5....didn't want to spoil it. Those draw distance and photo mode are going to produce some god tier shots.....like holy crap it's probably going to be one of the most beautiful fights.

I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough for hard mode or the times.....like rushing through the whole game in a little over 5 hours is nuts....I'd easily screw up on one of the mechanics

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Based on the footage I saw from digital foundry, performance mode looks good enough, I mean 1440p isn't that huge of a jump to take 30fps over 60fps.

It actually is, it is a huge difference, after the last discussions we had in the review thread, I find it the (well made and with huge effort made) DF video from Dark1x pretty inaccurate to be honest. No mentioning of the picture quality that is blurrier in the 60fps mode than on a base ps4 and no mentioning of all the other improved resolution mode details that the user Tyaren summarized here:

I agree. For "just" a boost up to 1440p the image quality and detail got imo a considerable boost in the Pro cinematic/resolution mode. The image is a lot cleaner and crisper, textures are crisper and less smudged in the distance, grass, foliage and trees are a lot more detailed and in some of your image comparisons it also looked as if grass tufts were drawn out a little farther as well as shadow casting of grass tufts. Last but not least bloom and light shafts are more pronounced there as well.

If you want to look for yourself, my 5 Mouse over screenshot comparisons are right here.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130825/picture:0

The 60fps mode feels awesome I agree completely, but that jump from 1080p to "just" 1440 has a little bit more behind it and it differs way more than I expected.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
She'll navigate most paths in general. The input needed for horse-riding in this game is minimal.

This is why I've always maintained that those that spoke negatively of SotC's horse controls never actually knew how to play the game.
Yeah SotC's horse controls are the best i've seen in a game. When you ride a horse in other games it's like the controls switch from the player character to the horse, but in SotC it's like you're still controlling Wander, who is guiding the horse.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at screenshot comparisons, I personally find the improvements in cinematic mode to be rather minimal on a 1080p screen (not sure how they translate to a 4K screen, but with it being 1440p I doubt it's that different). At the distance I play, looking at screenshots comparisons, the difference is barely noticeable. The added clarity becomes a tiny bit of added of clarity, unlike a framerate that increases twofold.

Yeah SotC's horse controls are the best i've seen in a game. When you ride a horse in other games it's like the controls switch from the player character to the horse, but in SotC it's like you're still controlling Wander, who is guiding the horse.
100%, this is one of the wonderful things about the controls in SotC. You are always controlling Wander, even when you're on Agro. You aren't moving Agro around. You're moving the reins.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

lDRhqm2.png

;O)

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Believe it or not that's the only reason that I will not buy the game. Fucking hideous factions.

You won't buy a game purely based on the fact that you don't like the look of the main characters face?? That's absolutely ridiculous lol. An amazing game is still an amazing game regardless. People today!

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will play Dandara tonight on switch @ midnight and this whenever the delivery man delivers it!

Pretty excited! Never played SotC before and i heard praise and masterpiece claims all over in all my years on the internet so i finally wanna see it with my own eyes and experience if that's truly true :P

I got a splatoon 2 tattoo last weekend (Marina) so what nice game to play while my leg/calf tatoo heals :)

(look on my profile if you wanna see it all my videogame tats are there even art of the planned ones)

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017

I have decided I will make my first play through in Cinematic mode and subsequent play throughs in Performance mode.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Was hoping ShopTo would have sent it out by now so it arrives tomorrow. It's been in the processing stage since Friday night.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Amazon decided to push my special edition to Thursday, so now my debate becomes how badly I want a steel book and printed manual over my ability to play it tomorrow. (Initially) Lucky for me, my work schedule synced up for a Tuesday release but not a Thursday one. Decisions, decisions...

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You won't buy a game purely based on the fact that you don't like the look of the main characters face?? That's absolutely ridiculous lol. An amazing game is still an amazing game regardless. People today!

Already played it dozen of times.
I prefer to play the PS3 version again instead of giving my money to this insolence.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can share my own photos... :)
The architecture and lighting are so beautifully reimagined in this game. The atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

40064559412_f875b93218_o.png

40064562182_fe3b47c1b6_o.png

39386077264_311a8ed305_o.png

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Insolence huh? Such strong word for something that should be celebrated .

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finally I can share my own photos... :)
The architecture and lighting are so beautifully reimagined in this game. The atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

40064559412_f875b93218_o.png

40064562182_fe3b47c1b6_o.png

39386077264_311a8ed305_o.png
Performance or Resolution? And I am jelly. had a day off but need to way til it unlocks nearly two more days. =(
Edit: sorry DP

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The pre-order theme is so ugly
I agree, I ended up switching to the free live.playstation theme, it's still not perfect but the pre-order theme was dissapointing.

On another topic:
As for the Wander's face issue, it would be nice if it was kept to the thread dedicated to that issue instead of shitting up this thread.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Is the life sword something that I'll wish I had if I don't pre-order? I have that 20% off coupon and saving $8 is hard to pass up unless that pre-order sword is awesome.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So excited to play this tomorrow! I haven't played it since I beat the original PS2 version, despite owning the HD Remaster, so this will be a welcomed trip down memory lane.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was surprised when IGN called the game a 6-8 hour game. I remember it taking me like 15 hours on the PS2 version.

I took me 5 hours and 40 min... on Normal difficulty..

But I have played and completed the PS2 version 3 time, and the PS3 version once or twice..

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should really, really cancel multiple preorders. I now have 2 copies of the special edition coming in tomorrow. One from Best Buy and the other from Amazon.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Already played it dozen of times.
I prefer to play the PS3 version again instead of giving my money to this insolence.

Insolence ? Come on man :p

I was surprised when IGN called the game a 6-8 hour game. I remember it taking me like 15 hours on the PS2 version.

It really depends on how you'll play the game. If IGN just went from colossus to colossus without doing any exploration it can be really short indeed.
Personally I took me around the same amount of time as it took you but I decided to explore the whole map (because it's gorgeous imo).

I can't wait to read what the people who experience it for the first time will think of it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution, always resolution. :)

I was torn between resolution and frame rate but after some recent comparisons (from Candyland's youtube video) it looks like the Performance mode seems to drop asset quality to below base PS4 level to maintain the frame rate.

Resolution mode is an easy choice for me in that case. I want to be sucked in the world in the best visual way possible.