• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Uhhh Okay, I guess?

That alpha footage just looked like the original version, not really remastered.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Ok, just watched the video in the OP.

how can they get away with calling this a 'remaster'? Looks terrible

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was soooooo happy when they announced the remaster.
Now I'm sad. This looks like shit and still controls like shit.
What a disappointment.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I'm not crazy, right? Day[9] did confirm there will be cut content re-added to this release, didn't he?
It's gonna be hyped to have unseen content to one of my cult classics.

Too bad there is still no release date :(

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I hope they do something about the gun sound effects(the shadow gun was way too loud and annoying) and enemies being bullet sponges. a few changes to making the game easier to navigate like they did with turok 2 wouldnt hurt either.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

i imagine the "remastering" in this case is making the game more friendly to modern machines/audiences instead of the graphics. Modern controller support, not needing to tinker with settings to get it to run, stuff like that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
i imagine the "remastering" in this case is making the game more friendly to modern machines/audiences instead of the graphics. Modern controller support, not needing to tinker with settings to get it to run, stuff like that.

If that's the effort put into this, they better not ask for anything more than $10 for this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol

I can't say I expected the original game as-is in a higher resolution.

Kuyth

Jan 15, 2018
I love this game, i even have a tattoo of it on my arm, but this seems really poor. Well, i guess is not a very important game to invest too much on it.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
220px-Shadow_Man_Second_Coming.jpg

When's Second Coming tho?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
To all those "disappointed" this is by the same team who did the Turok 1 and 2 and Doom 64 remasters among others. They're not out to create Demon's Souls-esque remakes, they take the original code, clean it up and make it available on multiple platforms.

EDIT: and fyi, they only had the PS1 source code available so they had to reverse engineer the PC version to have some sort of parity. That takes a bit of work.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm in for anything Nightdive is involved in. Such a treasure of a studio <3

The trailer should probably highlight the changes and improvements.

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Brings back a lot of good memories :) and a lot of memories of bad overtime food and bottles of Lambrusco...

Oct 27, 2017
As everyone else I'm kinda disappointed by this. At least they could've added some fancy new effects like they did with Turok 2.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
A 7/10 game in the 90s is not gonna hold up well now....

Wonky Camera control, barely functioning combat and 90s edgy voodoo story.....

Good luck to all

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Kinda weaksauce. At least upgrade the lighting effects, lol
We did update the lighting, you can see it often in the trailer.
Samuel put a lot of work into the dynamic shadow mapping, enabling it to be used on even dynamic sources like projectiles and the player's torch. It can even cast shadows through transparent textures in its current iteration.
As everyone else I'm kinda disappointed by this. At least they could've added some fancy new effects like they did with Turok 2.
We did, the Shadow mapping we tried in Turok2 was brought over and refined. It's in the trailer.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't look too different from the PC version they already put out but I guess it makes sense for the eventual console releases.

For anyone wanting to go back and play it, PC > DC > 64 > PS. DC has an abysmal framerate sometimes, but obv not as bad as the 64 could get. PS version is a trimmed down game, kind of like Rayman 2. Shadowman is a decent collectathon of the era but it could use some QoL additions.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who's had experience with Nightdive studios' Kex Engine games should know that they restore these games to look as good as they possibly can while respecting the original art. Turok 1 and 2 are nothing short of brilliant, and exactly what I would want from an N64 remaster. The semantics of calling something "Remastered" aside, I'm sure there's a ton of work put into making Shadowman look great and run well on modern systems.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of the original Shadow Man this looks good. They seemed to have added new lighting system with new shadows etc. Cleaner visuals in some places but like the other nightdive games looks similar to the original source. Game is great if anybody is interested, like a dark voodoo zelda with really good music and atmosphere.

But really its just a good thing to have a modern version of this that doesnt need tweaks or hacks to get it running well at HD.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks great. Just like Turok 1&2 & Doom 64, I think this is just a case of the game seemingly looking exactly how your mind perceived it back in the day. I would imagine if you were to go back to look at the original product, without any emulation bells and whistles, you'd find the gap much larger.

Shadow Man was a fun, unfinished N64 rental back in the day. Look forward to a hopefully more user-friendly version, much like what helped in seeing the End game credits of Turok 1 & 2.

Thanks, Nightdive. As always, looking forward to your next project.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is by Nightdive who are well known for the Turok/Turok 2, the Forsaken and Doom 64 remasters.

They don't go in and change stuff and make new textures and models. They are the original games, as they were but running beautifully on modern hardware.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I just remember playing it because the box said "It's a game on Nintendo that has swears in it" and that sold teenage me on it based on that alone.

I don't remember much else. I don't think I beat it. I just rented everything back then. I couldn't afford $100CDN to buy new games back then.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
We did update the lighting, you can see it often in the trailer.
Samuel put a lot of work into the dynamic shadow mapping, enabling it to be used on even dynamic sources like projectiles and the player's torch. It can even cast shadows through transparent textures in its current iteration.

We did, the Shadow mapping we tried in Turok2 was brought over and refined. It's in the trailer.
What are the planned release platforms?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Just from the trailer calling it a "remaster" seems a biiiiiit of a stretch.
How so? Remastering means to go back to an original film negative and produce a new master of it. Going back to the original source code (well, disassembling the PC code using the PS1 as the only possible reference) and retooling the engine while adding new lighting and visual effects and bringing back previously cut content is the epitome of that. Not everything is (or can be) plastering 8K textures.

What are the planned release platforms?
PC, Switch, Xbox One and PS4.

Last edited: