• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Still have my N64 and Dreamcast version on which I already 100% the game. So I am pretty hyped to discover the new stuff and improved controls (which was the main problem in the game).

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game on N64 even though it took me a bit to get into. It was just so different from any other game I had played at the time, so it took a bit before I could even figure out how to go about navigating the world to figure out where I should be going. Turns out it was to just pick a direction and see how far you could get lol.

I remember the devs or publisher hyping up the VISTA engine the game used in an IGN64 article. Draw distances like you'd never seen before on the N64!

I'll cop the remaster when it shows up on LRG.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Edward850
A quick question. Can we choose the spoken language without having to deal with censorship? The old PC game on Steam didn't allow the German dub to be used without the censored USK version (unless you replaced the voice files manually)

Would be lovely to play the uncensored version with German audio (which is absolutely stellar)
I don't know enough about the game to know what you regard this "censorship" to be, but we only have one SKU of assets so if it has nothing to do with audio or dialogue, yes using German will not change anything unrelated to that.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know enough about the game to know what you regard this "censorship" to be, but we only have one SKU of assets so if it has nothing to do with audio or dialogue, yes using German will not change anything unrelated to that.
Cool. The original German version was heavily censored. Ridiculously so, making some enemies invincible (dogs) changing blood to green, no Gibs etc. The old Steam version downloaded that censored version if you chose German audio.

Shadowman was one of the few games with a genuinely great German dub with A-list voice actors (German dub for Samuel L Jackson, Whoopy Goldberg, Dennis Hopper and the German Dub for ALF as Jaunty) all giving great performances. Even to this day a good German dub is rather rare so getting the complete game with that dub is absolutely sublime for me. Thank you.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Nightdive did an awesome job with the PC port on this.

So if word is that the console versions are good, I would highly reccomend this version to anyone interested in the OG Shadowman game. It feels essentially like the best possible version of the game we could have hoped for (on PC).

Awesome atmosphere, great characters, such a cool vibe, and the game still feels fun to play after all these years.

Oct 26, 2017
Nightdive did an awesome job with the PC port on this.

So if word is that the console versions are good, I would highly reccomend this version to anyone interested in the OG Shadowman game. It feels essentially like the best possible version of the game we could have hoped for (on PC).

Awesome atmosphere, great characters, such a cool vibe, and the game still feels fun to play after all these years.
I'm going to get it on Switch and really can't wait. The OG was one of my favourite games of that generation.
With Nightdive I am buying blind on Switch. So far every single one of their Switch ports were outstanding.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the Experimentation Rooms. Having a blast! This port is amazing. Incredible work.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Cool. The original German version was heavily censored. Ridiculously so, making some enemies invincible (dogs) changing blood to green, no Gibs etc. The old Steam version downloaded that censored version if you chose German audio.
Ah, of course. So the way the old version worked was some languages were actually a wholly different build of the game, so different executable and assets. For the remaster we only want to be making one executable so we tokenise all the strings and have all the languages in the assets combined. So yes this is uncensored, as it'll be using the same assets for all languages, just changing the text and audio.

Bought. Glad we can download from ps application now

Edit: or not. Still not available... Norway PSN that is šŸ˜”
Same. I can find it in the app, but Sony seemingly won't let us Norwegians neither buy it nor even save it to the wishlist.
Working on it. We are missing some store text localisations the PSN store requires us to have to sell in all regions. For obvious reasons we can't simply run this stuff through google translate so it will take us a few days to resolve.

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, of course. So the way the old version worked was some languages were actually a wholly different build of the game, so different executable and assets. For the remaster we only want to be making one executable so we tokenise all the strings and have all the languages in the assets combined. So yes this is uncensored, as it'll be using the same assets for all languages, just changing the text and audio.
You have no idea how happy that clarification makes me. Thank you for your awesome work. Gonna grab it on Switch. Just a few more days.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Did they end up adding the cut content into the game? Extra boss etc. I've been waiting for that patch

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Did they end up adding the cut content into the game? Extra boss etc. I've been waiting for that patch
It's presently my understanding that content is still being worked on. To be clear, while this content was cut, it also didn't have much left of it survive, a good chunk of it needs to be recreated.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Working on it. We are missing some store text localisations the PSN store requires us to have to sell in all regions. For obvious reasons we can't simply run this stuff through google translate so it will take us a few days to resolve.
I see.

Thanks for explaining

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Woking on it. We are missing some store text localisations the PSN store requires us to have to sell in all regions. For obvious reasons we can't simply run this stuff through google translate so it will take us a few days to resolve.
Does that affect all European countries then? I can see the game, the text is translated correctly on the storepage and it says it released yesterday but I can't buy it at all ;_;

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Does that affect all European countries then? I can see the game, the text is translated correctly on the storepage and it says it released yesterday but I can't buy it at all ;_;
Not from what I can tell. I can purchase it in New Zealand fine, I can confirm others have bought it in Germany. I'm guessing that your issue appears to be despite it being translated, Belgium however requires Dutch which is one of the languages we are currently missing.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Not from what I can tell. I can purchase it in New Zealand fine, I can confirm others have bought it in Germany. I'm guessing that your issue appears to be despite it being translated, Belgium however requires Dutch which is one of the languages we are currently missing.
That explains it then! I don't see Dutch on my storepages (only English and French) so I didn't know it was missing.
I'll just wait a bit then, thanks for the clarification.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
No problem. Needless to say, this should be a mistake we only ever make once. We now have a firm understanding of how the pricing regions do and don't work. A bit frustrating we had find out this way, though.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
No problem. Needless to say, this should be a mistake we only ever make once. We now have a firm understanding of how the pricing regions do and don't work. A bit frustrating we had find out this way, though.
The port is really excellent on console with plenty of options, and the controls have being improved which is great.

But the camera is really a problem for me and I don't remember it being a problem on either the Dreamcast or the N64 game. It's not analog (which could be OK in itself) but then the acceleration is way too high. It's almost unuseable for me as I am used to modern responsive cameras (Monster Hunter world, Bloodborne and such).

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
But the camera is really a problem for me and I don't remember it being a problem on either the Dreamcast or the N64 game. It's not analog (which could be OK in itself) but then the acceleration is way too high. It's almost unuseable for me as I am used to modern responsive cameras (Monster Hunter world, Bloodborne and such).
Did you try changing the Look Sensitivity X/Y in the gamepad options?

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy that this finally made it to console. An amazing, underrated game that I'm super excited to experience again. It will be interesting playing this as an adult, it took me months/years to beat when I was younger.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Did you try changing the Look Sensitivity X/Y in the gamepad options?
The problem was because of dead zone defaut settings. it's much better now. Though I am still annoyed by the inertia of the camera. When I stop moving the camera it still continue on its own for like half a second.

But it's very playable now and am enjoying the game.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I keep looking every day on the turkish psn store for this but it's still not ready. Its on my wishlist just waiting patiently to actually be able to buy it...

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
Is this good at all without nostalgia. With games like this, the turok remasters and even new installments like Streets of Rage 4, I feel alienated from them because I never grew up with the originals, like I shouldn't be playing them or something

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Bought. Glad we can download from ps application now

Edit: or not. Still not available... Norway PSN that is šŸ˜”

Same. I can find it in the app, but Sony seemingly won't let us Norwegians neither buy it nor even save it to the wishlist.

That explains it then! I don't see Dutch on my storepages (only English and French) so I didn't know it was missing.
I'll just wait a bit then, thanks for the clarification.

I'm hearing reports that this should now be resolved.