• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How is this compared to the sequel?
I loved the idea of the sequel, but I just never really found it fun to play for some reason. Was it more of the same, or did they change stuff for the worse for 2econd Coming?

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
How is this compared to the sequel?
I loved the idea of the sequel, but I just never really found it fun to play for some reason. Was it more of the same, or did they change stuff for the worse for 2econd Coming?
Changed for the worse I'm afraid. They dialled way down the exploration of a huge interconnected world aspect that was the best thing of the original, it was pretty linear and streamlined in comparison. Still a solid action adventure though.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Changed for the worse I'm afraid. They dialled way down the exploration of a huge interconnected world aspect that was the best thing of the original, it was pretty linear and streamlined in comparison. Still a solid action adventure though.
Ah, OK. i Probably wasn't clear in my post, but I only played 2. This one sounds cooler, as the change s you mentioned were like my biggest problems with it.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing Steam owners of the original are getting a limited time discount?

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Very cool. Never played this. I remember the Dreamcast version being the defacto release.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Remember always wanting to play it since N64 era but never got around despite owning the PC version on Steam for years. After hearing early news for a possible remaster I didn't bother and decided to wait...now I finally bought it (12EUR seemed like a fair price).

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
12 hours in now with 80+ souls found.

Huge nostalgia bomb but you can tell the cut content is cut content. Outside of my memories of the base game it just feels less coherent with the rest of the game. Fantastic to have this kind of stuff added back in though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a bit of trouble with the controls (using an xbox one controller). Didn't this game used to use some sort of z targeting mechanic?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
In case someone missed this gem of Redd Pepper going over some of his lines again:

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
This game was a big deal for us n64 players who were often told mature games weren't an option. Shadowman was the grim dark game we used as a reference point for that being an incorrect statement, lol.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Going by the DF video it seems more like PC > N64 > Dreamcast > PS1.
I played the PC version back in the 2000s myself.

The remaster is neat, but man when it comes to lighting (and darkness) a lot of the mood has been ruined :/
The opening Jack the Ripper scene looks so much worse for example. The remaster is just way too bright.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Framerate aside i think the ps1 version looks pretty cool
I agree lol... I find its gritty-ass look to be more atmospheric, and just more appealing overall than the vaseline/smudged out "smooth" look of the other older versions. Though that framerate is obviously unacceptable hah.

(Obviously the remaster looks a lot better than all of them.)

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Soā€¦.has anyone heard anything about the console ports? I love the work Nightdive does with these old games and I was really looking forward to returning to Shadow Man.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hell yeah. Anticipating the inevitable LRG physical release going up shortly thereafter.

Night Dive is so good. Better than the poor work Ziggurat did on Bloodrayne.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
This will be me. N64 to Switch :)
Same! It'll be great to play the game closer to the PC/DC version. The major differences between each version is such a unique and nostalgic part of that era when Dreamcast was co-existing with the N64 and PS1, and the hardware capabilities of each console were so vastly different.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely excited to see it coming to consoles this month. Interesting that it's hitting PS4 a full 5 days before the Switch - is that the case for the Xbox as well? I'll probably get it for Switch down the line for the portability, but I'd like to get it for my Series X first (especially if it's gonna be out at the same time as the PlayStation version).

Aug 25, 2021
Great memories playing this on psx back in the day, i remember i bought it on Christmas eve so holidays were spooky as hell, I was like 12 so I had no idea what to do but i had a blast doing it

the dogs at the beginning scared the crapt outta me

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought. Glad we can download from ps application now

Edit: or not. Still not available... Norway PSN that is šŸ˜”

Oct 26, 2017
Edward850
A quick question. Can we choose the spoken language without having to deal with censorship? The old PC game on Steam didn't allow the German dub to be used without the censored USK version (unless you replaced the voice files manually)

Would be lovely to play the uncensored version with German audio (which is absolutely stellar)

Sep 16, 2021
Was tempted to get it but then I remembered how unforgiving (sometimes frustrating) the game was and how much time I took me to complete it as there was no hand holding, maps, pointers, clues etc what do do next. The poor controls didn't help either and are supposed to be only slightly improved in the remaster. The gunplay was also very poor if I remember correctly. I don't think I could do it all again with slightly better graphics. Game was not very good then and I don't think it's much better now to justify a replay. Some games are simply better remembered than replayed and shadow man is one of them for me.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this port is fucking fantastic. Options for AA, AO, motion blur, DOF etc on console. Runs like a dream on Series S.

So happy to be playing such a great, clean version of this. One of my faves.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It may have accidentally fired off based on my own timezone. The store front configurations aren't all that straight forward to understand if you aren't in America.

Weird. Thanks for the insight!

Either way, I'd have grabbed it whenever it was available. Thank you for your work on getting it out! Nightdive's never let me down.