• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Really hyped for this, but where are the screenshots and videos, OP? Or is there something wrong with my browser?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I've seen some speculate that Jack had knowledge of anatomy, while others argue that the damages inflicted upon the victims didn't necessarily require anatomical knowledge. It's hard to say. Personally I believe he must've had some knowledge, even if only from working as a butcher or something similar. Levy is a plausible candidate, but didn't the end of the murder spree happen ca. when Kaminsky got locked up at Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum?

Yeah, Levy is a good suspect too - he lived at the time of murders right where Ripper's territory was, he was a butcher and he contacted syphilis from a prostitute. But there isn't real evidence that would connect him to the murders.. and you know, many men in those places (and times) had syphilis and were either doctors or someone with medical background or butchers.. and yeah, that is true about Kaminsky but at the same time, the same is true for many suspect in the case of Jack the Ripper - either died at the time that the Ripper's murders stopped, left the country or were put into asylums

And that discrepancy about Jack's medical background, I believe he had it mainly because that's what the police medical consultant Dr. George Bagster Phillips stated and I trust his words, because, well the police trusted him and he was present at all the murder sites and knew all the details about the case.. the other police medical consultant Dr. Thomas Bond, who wasn't present at the crimes scenes (the first 4) and only got some details of the case at later stage and saw only the last murder, that of Mary Kelly, which was very different to the previous Jack's murders, said that the man behind the murders has no medical knowledge whatsoever.. but in some places he contradics his own words in the same report, so yeah, probably not that trustworthy source of information as Phillips - who about the killer said :"Obviously the work was that of an expert - or one, at least, who had such knowledge of anatomical or pathological examinations as to be enabled to secure the pelvic organs with one sweep of the knife."

Kanokare

Nov 10, 2017
I've never played or even thought of purchasing Shadow Man when it was originally out, but for some reason as soon as I saw "Shadow Man" in the title, the first thing that came to mind was a dark and red looking man with darkened glasses/ shades holding a skull.

So bizarre. I probably saw it lots in magazines and usually passed over it. Guess it's a sign to pick it up finally.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this game being real bad but that can't be right seeing everyone else so pumped for it

The PS1 version, which I still own, was pretty bad, but the other console versions are supposedly much better. Didn't help that the game is fairly hard, and it's easy to get lost in the levels. I don't think I ever even got past the first boss.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Levy is a good suspect too - he lived at the time of murders right where Ripper's territory was, he was a butcher and he contacted syphilis from a prostitute. But there isn't real evidence that would connect him to the murders.. and you know, many men in those places (and times) had syphilis and were either doctors or someone with medical background or butchers.. and yeah, that is true about Kaminsky but at the same time, the same is true for many suspect in the case of Jack the Ripper - either died at the time that the Ripper's murders stopped, left the country or were put into asylums

And that discrepancy about Jack's medical background, I believe he had it mainly because that's what the police medical consultant Dr. George Bagster Phillips stated and I trust his words, because, well the police trusted him and he was present at all the murder sites and knew all the details about the case.. the other police medical consultant Dr. Thomas Bond, who wasn't present at the crimes scenes (the first 4) and only got some details of the case at later stage and saw only the last murder, that of Mary Kelly, which was very different to the previous Jack's murders, said that the man behind the murders has no medical knowledge whatsoever.. but in some places he contradics his own words in the same report, so yeah, probably not that trustworthy source of information as Phillips - who about the killer said :"Obviously the work was that of an expert - or one, at least, who had such knowledge of anatomical or pathological examinations as to be enabled to secure the pelvic organs with one sweep of the knife."

Yeah, the final murder was fairly different, and far more brutal than the preceding ones. The crime scene photos from the murder scene shows that there wasn't much concern for anatomical precision, it was blind, violent rage.

It's an interesting case because there are quite a few plausible suspects, and some that are not plausible but make for entertaining theories (Prince Albert, William Gull, Walter Sickert and Lewis Carroll).

In the end I don't think we'll ever know, unless someone invents a time machine. But the Ripper case will remain among my fave unsolved crimes, alongside the Olof Palme murder (I don't buy that story and conclusion the Swedish police served up last year just so they could close the book on that case).

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah, the final murder was fairly different, and far more brutal than the preceding ones. The crime scene photos from the murder scene shows that there wasn't much concern for anatomical precision, it was blind, violent rage.

It's an interesting case because there are quite a few plausible suspects, and some that are not plausible but make for entertaining theories (Prince Albert, William Gull, Walter Sickert and Lewis Carroll).

In the end I don't think we'll ever know, unless someone invents a time machine. But the Ripper case will remain among my fave unsolved crimes, alongside the Olof Palme murder (I don't buy that story and conclusion the Swedish police served up last year just so they could close the book on that case).

Yep, Mary Jane Kelly murder is one that I'm not sure if it should be included to the first four, but he could be so brutal because he had time and privacy so who knows.. and I don't know which is more creepy, that it was Jack or some bloke who only did this one and brutal murder and after this lived him life like nothing happened, totally normal life and was glad that the police went with Jack as the killer

Yeah, those suspects are in my opinion totally silly and they are basically just "which famous "gentleman" was in London and around Whitechapel in 1888" without any reason or evidence.. and many of them had alibies

And yep, the case conclussion from the Swedish prosecutors about the Olof Palme murder was BS and was criticized by policemen, journalists and lawyers all together.. BTW do you watch crime videos from BuzzFeed Unsolved Network, aka Shane and Ryan? They are great and fun :)

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This game is so 90s.

I do recall the magazine ads with the guy holding the skull. Great work whoever did that lol. First thing I think of when I hear the name. Never played it since back then I was young and couldn't afford my own games but yeah I remember the magazine ads.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I need to go to sleep because, in the trailer, when it said "Improved soundtrack & SFX", I read it as "improved soundtrack & SEX".

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Love to explore this world again. This is one of the best metroidvania-like exploration games of all time. The intricate puzzle box level design is just brilliant (well, once you get past the really terrible and bland first section of Deadside, past that it's all good).

Hope they include the map into the game somehow. It's essential.
v9tdW4s.png

The rest of the gameplay was not that great, especially the combat and platforming, so there is definite room for improvement there and judging from the trailer it looks like the jumping and climbing animations are already much improved and way less janky.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
My CRT was so dark that this game was near impossible to play at the time. Haha.

No idea why my old CRT tvs used to get super dark over time.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Sick. Fucking love this game. The soundtrack is GOAT material. Really looking forward to playing this again.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Mary Jane Kelly murder is one that I'm not sure if it should be included to the first four, but he could be so brutal because he had time and privacy so who knows.. and I don't know which is more creepy, that it was Jack or some bloke who only did this one and brutal murder and after this lived him life like nothing happened, totally normal life and was glad that the police went with Jack as the killer

Yeah, those suspects are in my opinion totally silly and they are basically just "which famous "gentleman" was in London and around Whitechapel in 1888" without any reason or evidence.. and many of them had alibies

And yep, the case conclussion from the Swedish prosecutors about the Olof Palme murder was BS and was criticized by policemen, journalists and lawyers all together.. BTW do you watch crime videos from BuzzFeed Unsolved Network, aka Shane and Ryan? They are great and fun :)

Yeah, the level of violence seen in the final murder is the kind of extreme violence I think that's normally only seen when there's some kind of personal connection between the victim and the perpetrator, often some kind of romantic or passionate connection. For all we know the final murder was not actually committed by Jack but by someone else entirely.

The conclusion they came up with in the Palme case is... flimsy at best. Sure, the man they pointed out was a plausible culprit, but they had no solid proof. It was basically all just a chain of circumstantial evidence used to close the book on the case and be done with it. I hope the truth will one day come out, but I kinda doubt it.

I haven't seen the BuzzFeed vids, but I watch a ton of true crime on YouTube when commuting to and from work 😅

less

Oct 25, 2017
I'll pickup a copy if only to support the team doing the remaster. Absolutely adore this game. One of the few games that I completely lost myself in due to the mesmerizing atmosphere. <3

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I am concerned from that gameplay trailer that there isn't dual analog / direct camera control, as there's no evidence of it from the trailer.
We primarily recorded those on PC with a keyboard and mouse where turning the player with said mouse is generally the more desired action. However it is there; for the mouse you can hold the middle mouse button (by default) and drag it around to control the camera.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Nightdive did a great job with Turok and I loved Shadowman back when I played in on N64 so I'm totally down for this.

I wonder if the PS2 Shadowman 2 will get the same treatment, while it wasn't as good I still liked it.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Night Dive remasters are routinely fantastic. IMHO the best developer working in that space currently. Only stumble was Blood: Fresh Supply on release, but they fixed that.

I've never really played Shadow Man all that much, but I have an great fondness for this type of game from that era, so I'm gonna be all over this. The currently available PC version is very finicky.

Last edited:

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
I played this originally on the Dreamcast. Will happily support it and give it a playthrough again. Completely forgot there was a sequel so if they do a remaster of that I'd be keen to try it (was it decent?)

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I am concerned from that gameplay trailer that there isn't dual analog / direct camera control, as there's no evidence of it from the trailer.

Shadow Man did not have vertical mouse look. That's just how that game was built. Think oldschool Doom for reference. If I'd have to take a guess they'll probably do it the same way as you handle Doom with modern controls. So dual analog, but only x-axis movement on the right stick. Similar thing with KB+M.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to playi this game on the Dreamcast, which was supposedly better than the original N64 version and still couldn't have a good time with it. I just remember walking through corridors made out stitched skin and a general lack of fun, which is a shame because i was pretty hyped for this game back in the day

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I read the title as Spider-Man and was like whooAAAA. Damn Ambien messing with me .

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I remember thinking this game was super cool back on the n64. I don't think I got all that far in it, though.

I'm... not sure if I'll play it again, though.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
As a 14 year old boy with an N64, I thought this was just the height of "mature" video game storytelling and atmosphere in 1999. I'm really curious to see what it's like now that I'm a grown assed adult.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Game is coming this week! There's no Steam page or GOG page for the game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm probably going to try to wait for the console versions for this (just seeing as that's where my other Night Dive ports are) but it's gonna be tough. Might just end up double dipping honestly.

Really pumped to play this.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Any news about what current Steam owners of the original are getting?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its out now, getting positive steam reviews so the port looks like it might be good. Didn't know they restored cut content and remastered all the music. If you've never played this and are looking for a dark zelda type of game i highly recommend. I need to replay this sometime.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Looking great.

Edit: The same guy also did a full review, the reintegrated cut content sounds substantial:

Edit 2: And there seems to be even more coming:
Nightdive said:
A message from NightDive

Hello everyone!

I'd just like to give out a quick update regarding Shadow Man Remastered.

We have been working tirelessly behind the scenes getting everything ready for the final 1.0 release of the game. Unfortunately, there are some things that we really wanted to get in the game that had to be delayed for the moment. These are:

The Seraph/Seraph Queen boss encounter, and the Deadworm.

We're working on getting these into the game for the next major update.

Thank you, and please enjoy exploring Deadside!

Daniel,
Producer,
Night Dive Studios

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1413870/discussions/0/4516523369463992721/

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Never played this though I was curious about it, maybe one day I can try the remaster.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
cannot wait to grab this on console... beat it on n64, then beat the much prettier version on dreamcast, now after all these years i want to beat the much much prettier version on xsx

a fantastic dark zelda

Last edited:

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I remember getting a used Dreamcast with most good games and this.
I tried it maybe once or twice and I felt really bad even experiencing it. Got rid of it quickly.

I don't like the Soul Reaver/Darksiders American aesthetic but I might give it a try again someday.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Absolutely one of the best third-party games on the N64, though I can't imagine it's a good playthrough in 2021 - especially for new players. But I guess new players isn't really the audience either.

I nearly finished the game in 1999, but was totally dependent on a guide to do so. I accidentaly deleted all save data towards the end of the game though. :/

Oct 25, 2017
Put 6 hours in today; it's been great so far. Actually surprisingly hard without a guide and very little memory of it. Night dive did a great job here overall despite my low expectations for it, so color me surprised and relieved.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
God it looks amazing.

I'll wait till the next update restores that stuff to jump in, but this looks so good.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely one of the best third-party games on the N64, though I can't imagine it's a good playthrough in 2021 - especially for new players. But I guess new players isn't really the audience either.

I nearly finished the game in 1999, but was totally dependent on a guide to do so. I accidentaly deleted all save data towards the end of the game though. :/
It was my favorite N64 game by far, and perhaps the most atmospheric Zelda-like ever made.

:Motorbass

Oct 28, 2017
While this is awesome news, I like the non-remastered music from the first trailer much more than the remastered one from Trailer 2... It's much more moody and dirty.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
While this is awesome news, I like the non-remastered music from the first trailer much more than the remastered one from Trailer 2... It's much more moody and dirty.
Yeah that main menu music is one of the greatest tracks I've ever heard in a video game. Don't remember much else from the soundtrack, it's been so long.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yesterday they posted the launch trailer and what funny is, is that they needed to cut the trailer before many of the HD textures were implemented so the game doesn't look in that trailer as good as it looks in the released version

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017