• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
www.ign.com

How Netflix's Shadow and Bone Improves Upon Alina's Love Triangle - IGN

Alina Starkov's relationship with her two love interests -- General Kirigan aka the Darkling (Ben Barnes) and Mal (Archie Renaux) -- have been changed for the better in Netflix's Shadow and Bone adaptation.
Honestly could have improved the love triangle even more by just removing it :p.

I only just read Shadow and Bone and I'm curious to see what Mal does in the sequels that makes him seem so self centered

edit -

First track available from the soundtrack

Last edited:

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Shocked at those reviews.

Good for the crew involved! Might watch, fiance will almost certainly watch.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, great to hear.
Just bought the first 3 books for my eldest son, maybe I'll give it a try.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, great to hear.
Just bought the first 3 books for my eldest son, maybe I'll give it a try.
It's a very fast read with almost zero downtime. It knows where it wants to go and makes some sacrifices to get there (deus ex machina sorta) but it's still really enjoyable and I think it'll make a really good Netflix series, as it has appeared to by the previews.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this trailer and it looks pretty interesting.

Is this a typical YA series? Or is it closer to something like GoT?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a movie or series?
It's two book series squeezed into one show. The Shadow and Bone (much worse written) series and Six of Crows which is infinitely better written with a much better and diverse cast, sadly I have no idea how they'll include that into 8 eps when it's being billed as just Shadow and Bone.

Waiting to be surprised.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
It's two book series squeezed into one show. The Shadow and Bone (much worse written) series and Six of Crows which is infinitely better written with a much better and diverse cast, sadly I have no idea how they'll include that into 8 eps when it's being billed as just Shadow and Bone.

Waiting to be surprised.

From what I understand, the 6 of Crows storyline in this season is a prequel to the books about them, and season 2 will focus on the 6 of Crows books.

May 10, 2018
Will definitely give this a shot.

I haven't used Netflix much at all recently so this getting good reviews is nice as the trailer didn't do much for me and I honestly hadn't even heard of the series before the show.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Ok some faith restored. Thank you.

Okay I misunderstood my wife about Season 2. It probably won't focus on the crows until later. I didn't know there were 3 S&B books to get through first. But I imagine if the show goes on long enough it will cover the Six of Crows books eventually.

But the crow stuff in Season 1 is all prequel stuff for sure.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
holy crap this is reviewing well. Never heard about it until now, they need to step up their marketing game if its really that good! will watch tonight

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Common opinion, but I hate that they've tied the Six of Crows crew into the shadow and bone plot. Shadow and Bone is so generic, while six of crows is genuinely really cool and special. I honestly think they should have just skipped shadow and bone altogether and done a sick Six of Crows series. I think there's a real concern that if this show was to do poorly, it would poison the brand of six of crows preventing us form ever getting that adaptation.

curious if this is actually good or like "YA/CW good"

Its profoundly reductive and ignorant of the widely varying quality of YA fiction to type "YA/CW" as if all YA is comparable to each other at the same level that all the CW slop is comparable to each other. The CW is one network with pretty clear and mediocre vision, YA literature is made of up numerous publishers with diverse authors from all walks of life.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Ugh, so Alina plot was tolerable at first but in 3rd episode it has gone full magic school bullshit. How many episodes will it last? I'm genuinely interested in the cane dude plotline but I'm not gonna suffer through chosen one in magic school drama for it.

Also the decision to call wizards with a regular-ass name is super cringe. "You're Gregory now, and we look out for each other", "Leave it, this guy is Gregory". Lmao, breaks my suspension of disbelief every time they say it.

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Me and my girlfriend are nearing the end of Six of Crows (we didn't even know there was a different trilogy before this was announced) and so far I don't really like how they portray Kaz

I know (think?) this is supposed to be a bit before the events of that book but he comes across differently in the show. In the book he's menacing and a cutthroat who doesn't fuck around and is serious but can still get cheeky.
He's reputation proceeds him and people don't just fuck around with him.

I'm only in the middle of the second episode but he's dynamic with Inej and Jesper doesn't remind me of that of the book and he doesn't feel nearly as menacing and I'm not getting this vibe of him being invulnerable while knowing he's still just a dude

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
OK, I was very skeptical about this show but decided to give it a chance. I have been on the fence about the books because the adult fantasy reviewers I follow weren't big fans of this series, and normally I tend to not like YA myself.

Five episodes in and it is YA AF but I find it charming. The cast is doing a very good job, especially Jessie Mei Li and Amita Suman. Last 5 minutes of the episodes had my holding my sides from laughing so much.

I'll give the books a chance after all, the show has managed to convince me. Unless of course something changes in the next 3 episodes.