• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The character looks silly, but Evil Ryu/Oni were a lot of fun to play, so I think this is a good addition to the game.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
He looks cool and fun to play, but if they wanted to keep an evil Ryu around, why did they write him out in SFV? Like, even if they wanted to keep Ryu conquering his dark side, they had him fight a soul devouring demigod in the story mode; it wouldn't have been hard to just throw together something about Necali taking his dark side out (and maybe not jobbing for once).

Because the devs probably weren't thinking about things in that way tbh

It seems like they wanted to earnestly do the "Ryu overcomes the Satsui no Hado" plot point... and then they later realized that "oh shit this means we can't market / sell Evil Ryu anymore" so they've kinda backtracked a little, hence why we've got Kage.

If they were originally planning for Kage in the SFV Story Mode, I agree that it would have been super easy to write it in. But they didn't, which is what makes me think they didn't plan this out / they're changing their mind.

Not that I mind this whole Ryu / Kage concept. Bison / Rose kinda already set the precedent for weird soul splitting shenanigans in Street Fighter. The only issue I take with Kage is that low effort design (and only the design. Kage animates pretty well, I just can't take those shitty devil horns and teeth seriously)

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken graphics shits on SFV graphics so hard it's not even funny. AND they are running on the same engine.

u211dcwrxy4y.jpg
They're wildly different stylistically, but I think he looks better in SFV personally.

QNkEHq1.png

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I can cherrypick too but I'm not gonna stoop so low.
You kinda did by using one of the worst shots of SFV Akuma. I mean, he's an ugly dude, but you're also free to play him looking like he traditionally has, which has him in a pretty similar representation but with the stylistic touches of each games. The original comparison only comes off as not like Akuma's redesign.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Strange they didn't announce the season pass with him.
A shame, last year they were pretty upfront about season 3 fighters.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Not feeling the design or name, disappointed at no season 4 reveal too, boo capcom :(

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You kinda did by using one of the worst shots of SFV Akuma. I mean, he's an ugly dude, but you're also free to play him looking like he traditionally has, which has him in a pretty similar representation but with the stylistic touches of each games. The original comparison only comes off as not like Akuma's redesign.
OK. I will go on google, search "SFV Akuma" and literally get the first result.

Akuma-1.jpg

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
OK. I will go on google, search "SFV Akuma" and literally get the first result.

Akuma-1.jpg

Seems pretty accurate to me.
Difference being it's no longer focusing on his puffed up beesting allergy face. I don't really know what you're trying to prove here because it seems more like you're angling this towards haha look at how dumb Akuma looks, and he does, he's some weird lion neckbeard hobo man, but that's his redesign you're criticizing, not graphics. I mean just look at the gi, it looks made of actual material, it has depth to it. In Tekken it's completely flat, like he's fashioned it from tissue paper.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Evil Ryu is a lame concept but SF4 made him really fun to play, and seems Kage is going the same path.

I wonder what they're doing with S4 differently tho. Also another year, another patch Juri gets jack shit and keeps on being garbage. At least they buffed the shit out of Sakura.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Just played with him a bit in training modem his combos are so easy to do and his v trigger 2 is the shit. New main.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Difference being it's no longer focusing on his puffed up beesting allergy face. I don't really know what you're trying to prove here because it seems more like you're angling this towards haha look at how dumb Akuma looks, and he does, he's some weird lion neckbeard hobo man, but that's his redesign you're criticizing, not graphics. I mean just look at the gi, it looks made of actual material, it has depth to it. In Tekken it's completely flat, like he's fashioned it from tissue paper.
Not just that. The image quality, details, backgrounds are so much better.

I'm not going "haha" and making fun of SFV. I genuinely want Capcom to make a good not dumbed down fighting game. I am a hardcore fighting game player and fan. However, Capcom are currently so behind the competition and I want to reflect that, because there's a lot of weird revisionism going on.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Not just that. The image quality, details, backgrounds are so much better.

I'm not going "haha" and making fun of SFV. I genuinely want Capcom to make a good not dumbed down fighting game. I am a hardcore fighting game player and fan. However, Capcom are currently so behind the competition and I want to reflect that, because there's a lot of weird revisionism going on.
I'm gonna have to agree to disagree there, as Tekken muddies up the IQ with film grain, CA and being sub-native res on consoles, and details are exactly why I find -- at least in this direct comparison -- Akuma presenting better in SF as I brought up in that post. The backgrounds I don't have any strong opinions on either way, but from the start the comparison was presented on character visuals. IMO they're in a graphical ballpark within one another, but they're stylistically doing way different things.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So is there a chance Kage will be part of a Season 4 pass later (if there will be one) or is it safe to buy him now?

The lack of communication from Capcom here is really frustrating. They're currently destroying all goodwill they earned for Season 3 with this and the whole ad debacle and less payout from Shadaloo soldiers.

Oct 30, 2017
So is there a chance Kage will be part of a Season 4 pass later (if there will be one) or is it safe to buy him now?

The lack of communication from Capcom here is really frustrating. They're currently destroying all goodwill they earned for Season 3 with this and the whole ad debacle and less payout from Shadaloo soldiers.

I think it's safe to say there won't be a character pass this season or if there is Kage won't be part of it. No company releases a character pass after a character is released they always promote a character pass preorder and make the first character part of it.

It's obvious Capcom are winding down their Street Fighter DLC content. I reckon we will probably get 3 characters this season and will just be released individually instead of part of a pass.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
7LGprLE.png

We've come a long way, fam. Ryu's internal struggle with the Satsui no Hadou over the years that looks to have culminated with the energy removing itself from Ryu altogether. Pretty dope.

n2fa2aC.jpg

vAq56Ls.jpg

What is interesting is that this kind of thing games series like Tekken do all the time. Horns and wings. Evil twisted versions of characters. But it seems to initially always get push back here. I think people tend to forget what kind of series this is. Or rather that there are people who enjoy "Evil Ryu", especially these later series versions which have become their own character entirely.

No one seems to be upset with Jin, Devil Jin, Kazuya, Devil Kazuya etc.

Oct 25, 2017
SF V really shines at high resolutions, too bad it's so demanding and doesn't seem to scale so well. Anything can run it perfectly fine at 1080p, start increasing the resolution and suddenly every PC is garbage.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Way more work was put here than older "evil" characters and it looks fine - it's not 100% new but it's bound to happen to every fighting game.

Two things that I didn't like were the right teeth and left teeth, lol. Reminds of

hqdefault.jpg

It was kinda funny there, it's kinda funny here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I like the character a lot, but I'm not interpreting this as a negative thing at all. I have a feeling instead of dropping a "clone" in the season pass, they have decided to release him on his own to AVOID backlash. I think he looks fun to play so there's no real complaints from me.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling instead of dropping a "clone" in the season pass, they have decided to release him on his own to AVOID backlash.

I don't have any strong feelings about this character, but I would figure that if Capcom intended him to be seen in that way they would actually say that. You don't tend to leave that kind of thing to be interpreted one way or another by your audience.

I think people just need to wait and see what is announced for 2019 before getting themselves in a state.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumsl...has-arisen-in-street-fighter-v-arcade-edition

Kage is only the beginning of the next season of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition! We're doing things differently this year, so we're eager to share the details with you soon! Thank you for all the continued support. We can't wait to show off what's next in 2019!

That's the bulk of what they've said, so there's a new season but there isn't a new pass at the moment and they're "doing things differently". You might be able to make some optimistic or pessimistic inferences from that but until they say exactly what they're doing I'd honestly recommend that people just wait and judge them on what they've put out so far.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Season 2
I mean...we've had 19 characters added to SF over the past three years. SF fans don't have to worry about there being continued support for 5.

Tekken had a season pass with two characters last year. Can only go up from there.

Hope it gets an S3...I guess.

S2 pretty much plugged up the glaring omissions in the roster and the guest characters have been far more interesting than the newcomers in SFV sans G and Kolin.

The saddest part IMO is that S3 characters were so interesting compared to this whack shit.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people unironically calling a character with completely new normals, specials and animations a clone? Kage isn't an echo fighter. I don't think he even uses Ryu's model (feel free to correct me if evidence points to the contrary).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SF V really shines at high resolutions, too bad it's so demanding and doesn't seem to scale so well. Anything can run it perfectly fine at 1080p, start increasing the resolution and suddenly every PC is garbage.

4K is a huge ask unless you have a monster card (even then I'm not sure), but 1440p is manageable for most affordable cards, especially if you disable motion blur.

But yes, running on or downsampling from higher resolutions does wonders for fighting games since the characters are relatively far away from the "camera."

YVttQaJ.png

HLg55OV.png

In SFV's case the post-AA it uses works A LOT better this way... :P

I can cherrypick too, but I'm not willing to stoop so low.

Overall, Tekken graphics are way better, technically and stylistically.

Ah yes, the cherrypicking of two super high resolution photomode pictures from the respective PC versions of each game showing the character models in their entirety.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I said it in other thread, but if they were going to waste an slot in a possesed shoto, they should have picked Violent Ken

db596a357ef58dc2868866022e362d4b4518025ev2_00.jpg

svc-violent-ken-portrait.jpg

Look at that pose and afro, swag as fuck

Oct 25, 2017
4K is a huge ask unless you have a monster card (even then I'm not sure), but 1440p is manageable for most affordable cards, especially if you disable motion blur.

But yes, running on or downsampling from higher resolutions does wonders for fighting games since the characters are relatively far away from the "camera."

YVttQaJ.png

HLg55OV.png

These comparison shots are 4K, right? I find that downsampling from 1440p doesn't make that much of a difference, but I'll give it a shot.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling + antagonizing other users; history of similar behaviour.

YVttQaJ.png

HLg55OV.png

Ah yes, the cherrypicking of two super high resolution photomode pictures from the respective PC versions of each game showing the character models in their entirety.
First of all, I thought you put me on ignore. What happened to that? Can't bear to look at your beloved game being criticized and had to respond?

Second of all, why are you derailing the thread? This thread is about Kage, not how SFV compares to Tekken.

Third of all, Tekken overall looks better. Stop lying to yourself and to the people and stop bringing me ultra super high omega resolution pictures to make SFV look good. Most people don't play at those resolutions.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I thought you put me on ignore. What happened to that? Can't bear to look at your beloved game being criticized and had to respond?

Second of all, why are you derailing the thread? This thread is about Kage, not how SFV compares to Tekken.

Third of all, Tekken overall looks better. Stop lying to yourself and to the people and stop bringing me ultra super high omega resolution pictures to make SFV look good. Most people don't play at those resolutions.
If this thread is about Kage, what are you bringing up Tekken for?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck is wrong with you?

No, seriously? What the fuck is wrong with you?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I said I took you off ignore, but didn't put you back on. You're actually too much fun. Especially when you say insane shit like this

You're the one that derailed the thread by first posting a comparison picture out of nowhere LOL.

These comparison shots are 4K, right? I find that downsampling from 1440p doesn't make that much of a difference, but I'll give it a shot.

Yeah 4K vs 1080p. Probably not that big a deal in motion and from a reasonable viewing distance.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
fuckin' under-bite ryu lmao.

I'm with the post above. Should have been V. Ken. I wouldn't even have minded the crappy redesign.
0479d82ddf44f3069da8b1bd946bd621d5360264_00.jpg

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Kage seems to have a last name, I was watching some matches on YT and the announcer said something like "Kage Narumono", which would be a wordplay that roughly translates to "That which turns into shadows".

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personal insults are not cool.
"What the fuck is wrong with you?" is not a personal insult, your posts are fucking weird. I won't even get started on "I'm a hardcore fighting game player" when all you're doing is talking about graphics for some reason.
Look back and you will see "rude" was the one who brought up Tekken.
>brought up Tekken
rude said no one wants a SF that looks like Tekken because REengine was brought up. The point is that realism isn't desired as an aesthetic choice, this isn't a difficult thing to figure out in context.
You then, unprompted, felt the overwhelming urge to derail the thread with some dumb comparison pictures because you had to prove that absolutely everything about SFV sucks because you have a giant chip on your shoulder.

Your posts are fucking weird.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

YVttQaJ.png

HLg55OV.png

This game needs a Pro patch!