• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 13, 2019

The Confederate flag place mat on the dining room table was Rob Mathis's first hint that something was off inside the home he was thinking of buying.

"I thought to myself, 'Wouldn't it be funny if this was a Klansman's house?'" said Mathis, who is black.

Previously, Mathis and his wife, Reyna, had been ready to make an offer on the five-bedroom home they viewed on Wednesday in Holton, Michigan, a small township of less than 3,000 people in Muskegon County. They thought the house on the 22-acre wooded lot about an hour outside of Grand Rapids would give them enough space to entertain their children and grandchildren. Then, Mathis walked into the NASCAR-decorated garage to see not one but two Confederate flags in what his wife would tell him was the home of a police officer, MLive reported.

When the family and their real estate agent went upstairs to check out one of the bedrooms, Mathis and his son noticed a lone wooden plaque holding an aged, yellowed document. Once the father and son got closer, they were disgusted to realize what they were looking at: an application to the Ku Klux Klan.

Also, this:

The discovery of Anderson's racist collection has cast new light on a nearly decade-old fatal shooting. Anderson was pursuing 23-year-old Julius Johnson during a traffic stop on Sept. 23, 2009. According to the findings of an investigation from the county's prosecutor, Johnson beat Anderson in the head, which caused the police officer, who said he feared for his life, to shoot and kill the black man. Johnson's sister, Tunisia Phillips, initially told investigators that she heard her brother beg for his life before Anderson shot him, according to WOOD.

The prosecutor later cleared Anderson of wrongdoing and eventually charged Phillips with lying to police, prompting protests from Johnson's family and the NAACP, according to MLive. Eric Hood, the president of the Muskegon County chapter of the NAACP, has now called for a comprehensive look at Anderson's dealings with people of color, WOOD reported.

EDIT:
1565367446647-KKKCop.jpeg

Source

Looking to buy houses while black.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this should be added too:

The prosecutor later cleared Anderson of wrongdoing and eventually charged Phillips with lying to police, prompting protests from Johnson's family and the NAACP, according to MLive. Eric Hood, the president of the Muskegon County chapter of the NAACP, has now called for a comprehensive look at Anderson's dealings with people of color, WOOD reported.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Realtor did an amazing job staging the house I see.

Back On Topic, utterly discusting. I don't get how racist folks could ever get a job in the force.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
This is just a snapshot of how fucked up the real world is with the police. I'm absolutely disgusted after reading this, especially the 2009 story.

I'm also waiting for the "good cops" to take a stand a stand and speak out...

Oct 27, 2017
As an act of principle I wish Mathis would have put the highest possible bid in for the home. Fuck you and your scaremongering.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Holy shit. That's something done out of complete and total racist ideology and purposefully staged during a fucking house showing (is the realtor blind?). If I had Klan documents that I felt were of historic value, I certainly wouldn't be framing them along with half a dozen Confederate flags hung tastefully around my home.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jfc the bit about killing the black guy, then sending his sister to jail for "lying to the police" about how she heard her brother beg for his life before he killed him.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Says alot that they didn't bother cleaning shit up before showing the house.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Lol! I shouldn't laugh but the kkk has...applications??!?!

That strikes me as absurd. When do they ditch that and just tell you to apply online?
I'm guessing it's an old application as it was yellowed and framed (family heirloom maybe?).

I just checked and you can indeed apply online these days. In my mom's old NC neighborhood they had membership cards. At one point she wasn't allowed to play with the neighbor kids anymore. Later on she learned it was because my grandpa had apparently found the neighbors membership card on the lawn.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
The Realtor did an amazing job staging the house I see.

Back On Topic, utterly discusting. I don't get how racist folks could ever get a job in the force.
Holy shit. That's something done out of complete and total racist ideology and purposefully staged during a fucking house showing (is the realtor blind?). If I had Klan documents that I felt were of historic value, I certainly wouldn't be framing them along with half a dozen Confederate flags hung tastefully around my home.

As someone who worked as a Realtor in the past, I should point out: it's possible this was either a For Sale By Owner showing, or one where the selling agent wasn't present (which is extremely common nowadays, as most Realtors use electronic lockboxes for showings now). If there is a selling agent, he definitely should have told the owner to stage the house and put that shit away (not that the seller would necessarily listen, someone that racist might have done it deliberately as Wishbone implied).

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm guessing it's an old application as it was yellowed and framed (family heirloom maybe?).

I just checked and you can indeed apply online these days. In my mom's old NC neighborhood they had membership cards. At one point she wasn't allowed to play with the neighbor kids anymore. Later on she learned it was because my grandpa had apparently found the neighbors membership card on the lawn.
This is super disturbing shit. I figured the answer behind no online registration was to hide ones allegiances from the world wide web, but no, nazis are IN FACT stupid enough to put themselves on a huge list of extremist terrorists.
I should not be that surprised.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine getting your application to the KKK rejected. I always figured joining would be a word of mouth type thing.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. You can't write shit like that! I live in Ohio and have to live next Confederate flag waving, thin blue line motherfuckers.
Any time I see a Confederate I just want yell at the asshole that has it "YOU LIVE IN THE NORTH. You're waiving the flag of the losers. THEY WERE LOSERS. Losers who were on the wrong side of history."

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. You can't write shit like that! I live in Ohio and have to live next Confederate flag waving, thin blue line motherfuckers.
Any time I see a Confederate I just want yell at the asshole that has it "YOU LIVE IN THE NORTH. You're waiving the flag of the losers. THEY WERE LOSERS. Losers who were on the wrong side of history."
If you live literally next to a Confederate flag waving neighbor, I'll paypal you $10 towards a Union Army flag.