• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is big enough to warrant a page in Hangouts, a mod can move it if necessary

2013-03-13-SFDebris.png

SFdebris is a Science Fiction reviewer dealing primarily in Star Trek, since next month's schedule is up I figured it was time for a topic on the new forum.

31-Oct • Cabin In The Woods
4-Nov • Desert Crossing
6-Nov • SG1: The Fifth Man
8-Nov • B5: The Quality of Mercy
9-17-Nov • OFF
18-Nov • Hope & Fear
20-24-Nov • Dragon Age II (round 1)
25-Nov • Tin Man
27-30-Nov • Dragon Age II (round 2)
2-Dec • Arena

Last edited:

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I too am a big fan of Chuck's. I don't know how many times I've put old reviews on in the background just because he's great to listen to.

I have always felt about bad about some of the anime he agreed to review though. For sure he's watched some good ones but others are... well, at best some of them were never going to be his cup of tea and at worst some of them are just horrible no matter what way you cut 'em.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see someone got this going. Was going to make one this weekend if I didn't see it.

Last week's episode, "Spirit Folk" was a doozy, and I can't wait for the "Hope & Fear" review.

Also, he has announced some changes for next year.

http://sfdebris.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=899

January marks the tenth anniversary of the video reviews, welcomed to the net with the feedback "Who does this asshole think he is?" Hence the origin of the phrase "I'm just a viewer with an opinion."

At this point, looking over where we've been and where we have to go, the show will be undergoing a shift that will be in one sense rather minor but in another sense, massive. Since the beginning, this show has been about Star Trek, and that will not change (you'll certainly see that when the anniversary hits). However, there's some unpleasant realities that need to finally be addressed:
-the number of episodes are finite
-the number of notable episodes (the very good and the very bad) are picked over
-there's a lot of other stuff out there that has been waiting

The feedback I received said what I was afraid of: after ten years and the extremes significantly dwindled, "all Star Trek!" was starting to feel like too much Star Trek, that the reviews could start to feel stale, or that I started to sound bored with the material.

So I asked the question: what if there were only three Star Trek reviews a month, and the fourth one a film? The response was overwhelmingly in favor of this move, WITH the caveat: make it a science fiction movie. Less like Cabin in the Woods, All-Star Superman, and The Day After, more like Star Wars, The Terminator, and Forbidden Planet.

However, while the opposition were the minority, they were a PASSIONATE minority. A Saturday Trek review was expected part of the routine.

In addition, I have been slowly trying to increase Youtube-viable works. While Youtube seems to have gone out of its way to make itself more and more hostile since I started there in 2008, the more I can SAFELY put there, the better. Some people I know are having problems accessing vid.me videos through the site, and I am working on a solution for that, but whatever problems it has, Youtube is more functional.

For managing the site, I break the schedule down into four week blocks (usually). Starting with the February block, the Saturday schedule is going to be like this:
-First Saturday, a science fiction film
--For the first year I have planned the two remaining Trek films, two more Star Wars films, and some classics like 2001, Them, and The Day the Earth Stood Still, to name but a few
-First Saturday will ALSO see a Youtube-safe Trek mini-review
--These will be somewhat like when I did The Worst of the Worst or the Awful-Thon, a short look at episodes I've covered before to get to the meat of them, and generally focused on those more extreme examples
--So if you're still interested in just Trek on Saturdays, these will be a chance to revisit the old favorites!
-Saturdays 2-4 will remain new Star Trek episodes

In addition, because there are a lot of films that wouldn't fit this criteria, there will be a standard film review during the week as usual (unless there's a game review, in which case ALL BETS ARE OFF THAT MONTH and anything can happen). I'll be doing the first Mobile Suit Gundam film this December, so don't be surprised if you see the two sequels in the new year.

Also, I have been giving some of my Patreon supporters EXTREMELY early access to the new addition: books. These are going to be more on the level of the Foundation ones than World War Z (though I also have an elaborate review of a book planned for next year), 10-20 minutes or so. Extremely early access means "a year or more," so as not to diminish their value.

And of course, there's a lot of animated works that will be presented in mutil-episode bundles such as Paranoia Agent, MLP, and Mahoromatic. The plan is to have one of those on a monthly basis too (and if I eat my Wheaties, i might even tackle a story arc in a non-animated show that way).

So generally, once February starts each month will have:
-3 New Star Trek Reviews
-1 Star Trek Mini-Review
-2 Films
-1 Book
-1 Multi-episode complilation
-2-3 Standard reviews
-2-3 Half-Hour show reviews

Again, when there's a game, all bets are off. And if I do a miniseries, that may throw a little chaos in there too.

So, there's the new plan! I hope this will continue to meet your expectations for the show, and maybe inject a bit of fresh life into it so the next ten years can be as much fun as the first!

As always, thanks for watching, and thank you to everyone who has helped support and/or spread word about the show!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
If he has to in the future he could easily replace Star Trek with Stargate.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
December Schedule

29-Nov • Hermit's Journey 1

2-Dec • Arena

4-Dec • Gargoyles: Thrill of the Hunt

6-Dec • Hermit's Journey 2

9-Dec • A Man Alone

11-15 Dec • Dragon Age II, Act 2

16-Dec • OFF

18-Dec • Hermit's Journey 3

20-Dec • Hermit's Journey 4

23-Dec • The Changeling

25-Dec • Christmas Show

27-Dec • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagen 7

29-Dec • Gambit, Part 1

1-5 Jan • Dragon Age II, Act 2

6-Jan • Gambit, Part 2

8-Jan • Hermit's Journey 5

10-Jan • Hermit's Journey 6

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Still no January schedule, but he updated today with a 10 year music video and a surprise review of "The Vulcan Hello", the pilot episode of Discovery.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Whoops, because the title uses "SFdebris" instead of "SF Debris", I didn't find this on a search and created my own topic.
top2.png

Website
Patreon

SF Debris is one of the best sci-fi series video reviewers out there, with a combination of deep analysis and dumb jokes. In addition to reviews for individual episodes of sci-fi and fantasy series, he also creates in-depth editorials analyzing the history of subjects like Transformers and Star Wars. His reviews focus primarily on Star Trek, but he covers various other sci-fi shows. He also takes review suggestions from Patreon, which leads to him reviewing video games, anime, and cartoons, that have some connection with sci fi or fantasy. He frequently claims to have zero knowledge or interest in anime outside of these reviews, making for some interesting reactions, and you know to trust him when he says a series is good.

He just reviewed the first episode of Star Trek Discovery, "The Vulcan Hello", and it's his tenth anniversary, which seemed as good an opportunity as any to create this thread.

I knowingly put this in Etcetera to get more attention to this thread, but feel free to move it to Hangouts after a bit.

Check out his editorials, and reviews you're interested in.
Comic History
Hero's Journey - The Making of Star Wars (A New Hope)
Shadow's Journey - The Making of Star Wars (The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi)
Hermit's Journey - The Making of Star Wars (Prequels)
Transformers History

And more

Anyway, it's nice to see that he's going back to Gurren Lagann, and the next one is that episode.

I hadn't gotten around to watching Discovery, so it was nice to see a review from him for it.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Schedule for next month. Also TNG: Firstborn http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/t273.php and Episode 2 of Discovery tomorrow.

29-Jan • Clone Wars: Clone Cadets

31-Jan • B5: And The Sky Full of Stars

3-Feb • The Quickening

5-Feb • Transformers: Starscream's Brigade

7-Feb • Transformers: Revenge of Bruticus

10-Feb • Film: Quatermass Xperiment

12-Feb • TTGL 8

14-Feb • B5: Deathwalker

17-Feb • Discovery Ep 4

19-22 Feb • Dragon Age II, Act 2

24-Feb • Empath

Oct 27, 2017
I too am a big fan of Chuck's. I don't know how many times I've put old reviews on in the background just because he's great to listen to.

I have always felt about bad about some of the anime he agreed to review though. For sure he's watched some good ones but others are... well, at best some of them were never going to be his cup of tea and at worst some of them are just horrible no matter what way you cut 'em.
I know, right? Where the hell is he getting his recommendations from?! Something like Psycho Pass S1 would be right up his alley.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
March schedule

10-Mar • Muse

12-Mar • Hitchhikers (book)

14-Mar • Transformers: The Movie

17-Mar • The Emperor's New Cloak

24-Mar • Choose Your Pain

26-Mar • Transformers: Dark Awakening

28-Mar • Orville 1

31-Mar • The Empire Strikes Back

2-Apr • Dr. Who: Alien in London

4-Apr • Dr. Who: World War III

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
My Little Pony: Spingier Equinox Show. Chuck has reviewed the opening and finale of My Little Pony season 4, completely jumping over season 3's finale where Twilight became a princess. Fair enough, since a musical would have been really hard on him. Also included is "Three's a Crowd", making this a Discord themed video. Wait, last MLP review, didn't he say the next set of reviews would be Rainbow Dash themed?

This is another "mostly recap" video, though he does make a nice analysis of Twilight's princess problems toward the end. There are some good jokes, including one where he recommends not to Google Search for a certain something. He plays "The Touch" during the Tirek fight. He doesn't say anything about the quality of the episodes, but he seemed to enjoy them well enough.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
So glad that he's finally reviewing The Orville. I really did enjoy that show. And more Discovery reviews is a good thing too.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
April Schedule

5-13 Apr • OFF

14-Apr • Lethe

16-Apr • Dragon Age II, Part 8

18-Apr • Dragon Age II, Part 9

21-Apr • False Profits

23-Apr • Dragon Age II, Part 10

25-Apr • Dragon Age II, Part 11

26-Apr • Dragon Age II, Part 12

28-Apr • Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad

30-Apr • B5: Voice In The Wilderness 1

2-May • B5: Voice In The Wilderness 2

5-May • Two Days, Two Nights

7-May • Full Moon

9-May • Transformers: Starscream's Ghost

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
May Schedule

12-May • 11:59

14-May • Restaurant at the End of the Universe

16-May • Transformers: Ghost In The Machine

26-May • Discovery 8

28-May • Dr. Who: Christmas Invasion

30-May • B5: Survivors

2-Jun • Discovery 9

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Whoops, I keep forgetting to post my video thoughts here.

... I don't think I have anything to say about any recent ones.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
June Schedule

28-May • Dr. Who: Christmas Invasion

30-May • B5: Survivors

2-Jun • Discovery 9

4-Jun • Caves of Steel

6-Jun • Beast Wars: Possession

9-Jun • A Fistful of Datas

11-Jun • Escaflowne 12

13-Jun • Mobile Suit Gundam: The Movie

16-Jun • Borderland

18-Jun • SWTOR: Inquisitor 1

20-Jun • B5: By Any Means Necessary

23-Jun • Cold Station 12

25-Jun • Escaflowne 13

27-Jun • Dr. Who: Robots of Death

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Over two weeks old, but the Mobile Suit Gundam movie 1 review was good. I hadn't seen MSG, and I agree that the moment where Bright salutes Amuro definitely made me think he was going to slap him again. There really is a lot of slapping in this series.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
July Schedule

30-Jun • The Augments

2-Jul • Naked Sun

4-Jul • Escaflowne 14

7-Jul • Juggernaut

9-Jul • Clone Wars: Arc Troopers

11-Jul • SWTOR: Inquisitor 2

14-Jul • Return of the Jedi

16-Jul • Robots of Dawn

18-Jul • Mobile Suit Gundam 2

21-Jul • Imperfection

23-Jul • Transformers episode

25-Jul • SWTOR: Inquisitor 3

28-Jul • Discovery 10

30-Jul • Robots and Empire

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
August Schedule

1-Aug • SG1: Smoke and Mirrors

2-10 Aug • OFF

11-Aug • Affliction

13-Aug • Life, The Universe, And Everything

15-Aug • SWTOR: Inquisitor 4

18-Aug • Divergence

20-Aug • Clone Wars: Brothers

22-Aug • Mobile Suit Gundam 3

25-Aug • Discovery 11

27-Aug • Clone Wars: Revenge

29-Aug • SWTOR: Inquisitor 5

1-Sep • Return of the Jedi

3-Sep • SWTOR: Inquisitor 6

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Last review of the Mobile Suit Gundam films. At the end, he more or less says reviewing Gundam in this format was a huge mistake, which is pretty interesting to hear.

The review schedule turned out to be pretty different than what's above. No Return of the Jedi, and instead a review of Transformers: Return of Optimus Prime part 1 and Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World. Haven't watched either yet.

I think this is the second time he's pushed back ROTJ

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's got a problem with his throat that isn't going away, and his doctor told him to stop talking until it clears up, so in usual Chuck fashion he's half-listening to his doctors and only doing a couple of smaller videos for now.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
September-October schedule, he's uploading some character bios instead of Trek reviews but plenty of Justice League and Twilight Zone.

15-Sep • Barclay*

17-Sep • Justice League: Clash

19-Sep • Justice League: Question Authority

22-Sep • Dukat*

24-Sep • Twilight Zone: Night of the Meek

26-Sep • Twilight Zone: Mr. Denton on Doomsday

29-Sep • Weyoun*

1-Oct • Red Dwarf: Trojan

3-Oct • Red Dwarf: Entangled

6-Oct • Kes*

8-Oct • Kino's Journey 6

10-Oct • Kino's Journey 7

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Full October schedule

-Oct • Red Dwarf: Trojan

3-Oct • Red Dwarf: Entangled

6-Oct • Kes*

8-Oct • Kino's Journey 6

10-Oct • Kino's Journey 7

13-Oct • Code of Honor*

15-Oct • Clone Wars: Revival

17-Oct • SWTOR: Inquisitor 5

20-Oct • Return of the Jedi

22-Oct • So Long, And Thanks for All The Fish

24-Oct • SG1: Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know

27-Oct • Heart of Stone

29-Oct • Justice League: Flashpoint

31-Oct • X-Files Halloween Special

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
November Schedule

3-Nov • The Reckoning

5-Nov • B5: Grail

6-Nov • B5: Believers

7-Nov • B5: Eyes

8-Nov • B5: Legacies

9-Nov • B5: Points of Departure

10-Nov • Watership Down

12-Nov • Transformers Multi-part Special

14-Nov • SWTOR: Inquisitor 6

17-Nov • Discovery 12

19-Nov • Justice League: Panic in the Sky

21-Nov • Fullmetal Alechemist: Brotherhood 1-4

23-Nov • Dr. Who: The Movie

26-Nov • SG-1: Solitudes

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, Brotherhood? That will be interesting. I'd say the first four episodes have odd pacing that might throw him off, but he's been forgiving of stuff like that in the past with anime.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Wooo 8th Doctor. Is Chuck doing better? Didnt see an update on his site abour his health issues.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wooo 8th Doctor. Is Chuck doing better? Didnt see an update on his site abour his health issues.
His voice sounds like it has recovered. That doesn't mean he's 100%, but it definitely means he's getting better.

Hopefully he takes it easy and recovers fully, and doesn't do anything counterproductive like re-injure himself trying to make up for lost time.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched his Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood episodes 1-4 (and FMA episode 3) review. The leader of the country being the Fuhrer seems to have really baffled him, and he spends a considerable chunk of the first episode coverage on that. Though he's shown in a sinister light, I believe it will still be some time before Bradley is revealed to be evil. He also doesn't seem to be a fan of Ed as a character. Besides that, he seems to be interested, and is willing to check out more. I suppose he wasn't actually asked to cover the whole series, just this set.

I was surprised he was also asked to check FMA (original) episode 3, both because I didn't think there would be any comparing involved, and because I would have expected he'd compare how the Tuckers were handled if he'd do that. I suppose in FMA, the Tucker storyline is told over several episodes, so it would be harder to cover in this format.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
December Schedule

1-Dec • Discovery 13

3-Dec • Mostly Harmless

5-Dec • Mask of the Phantasm

8-Dec • Someone To Watch Over Me

10-Dec • Godzilla 1985

11-Dec • Dark City

12-Dec • Godzilla vs Biollante

13-Dec • Forbidden Planet

14-Dec • Dune

15-Dec • Godzilla Raids Again

17-Dec • And Another Thing

19-Dec • Justice League: Divided We Fall

22-Dec • The Alternative Factor

25-Dec • Christmas Special

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
January Schedule

5-Jan • Discovery 14

7-Jan • Batman TAS: The Forgotten

9-Jan • Full Moon Block 2

12-Jan • Discovery 15

14-18-Jan • Caliban's War (novel)

19-Jan • Zardoz

21-Jan • Korra S2E9

23-Jan • Evangelion 3.33

26-Jan • The Enemy Within

28-Jan • Doctor Who: Stolen Earth

30-Jan • Doctor Who: Journey's End

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewing Full Moon in batches is probably the way to go, yeah.

Ooh, 3.33. I wonder how someone who doesn't know how things are supposed to go reacts to it.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Watched his reviews of Godzilla 1985 and Dark City, and I'm reminded once again of how amazing he is at covering the backstories of these productions and incorporating it into his reviews. I particularly liked his use of "Don't Dream It's Over" in Dark City.

On another note, I loved that part in the Godzilla 1985 review where he started explaining what was happening and then he just had a deep sigh when a Dr. Pepper vending machine came into view.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
And here it is. Star Trek Into Darkness, with the proper movie review intro and everything. It's interesting that he's worried about being seen as a terrible Trekkie for not liking this movie when it has good reviews. EDIT: Wow, I hadn't quite realized just how terrible Kirk is throughout this movie.

Also, an Orville marathon. Haven't watched this yet.

Last edited: