• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

At last, it could be time for the western side of San Francisco to do its part.

City Hall might consider adding low-density western neighborhoods to its list of "priority designated areas" (PDAs) for future housing development, under a proposal put together by the Plan Bay Area 2050 group, which could break longstanding taboos about building on the west side.

Plan Bay Area 2050 is a long-range plan that combines transportation, housing, the economy, and the environment, created by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG).

PDAs are one of the tools the plan uses to figure out which areas cities are likely to want to focus on for housing development in the near future, particularly those near transit and job centers.

At the end of November, SF Planning Program Manager Joshua Switzky presented a new potential new PDA layout to the San Francisco Planning Commission, calling the PDAs "a signal to regional agencies that [we are] considering planning for housing growth in the area."

"All districts and all corridors have some responsibility" when it comes to housing, Switzky added, noting that the existing PDA map from 2017 leaves out the entirety of the Richmond, the Sunset, and other western-lying neighborhoods, while the new proposal does not.

Switzky emphasized that designating an area a PDA neither obligates any new action nor overrides local controls. But it does prompt City Hall to start thinking seriously about future development in those housing-starved areas. ABAG also offers funding benefits for projects within PDA zones.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
So does anybody here agree with this? I've allways though Sunset was the most unremkarable neighborhood of San Francisco.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally in favor of anything that expands development anywhere in the city. With that said, the Sunset and Richmond sometimes feel far enough from anything of consequence that they are barely in the city to me.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Still reading through this. We need more housing here yes. (Inner Richmond resident)

So does anybody here agree with this? I've allways though Sunset was the most unremkarable neighborhood of San Francisco.

What do you mean by unremarkable?

Totally in favor of anything that expands development anywhere in the city. With that said, the Sunset and Richmond sometimes feel far enough from anything of consequence that they are barely in the city to me.

Dont know Clement street foods? Balboa theater area? 9th and Judah area? Barely in the city?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont know Clement street foods? Balboa theater area? 9th and Judah area? Barely in the city?
All neat. Still relatively low density compared to the rest of SF, both in terms of interesting businesses and housing units. It doesn't have the same "vibe" as the rest of the city and feels much more like a sleepy sprawl.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the non-binding nature of the plan, the hearing featured plenty of pushback, including, most notably, from former District One supervisor Jake McGoldrick, who told commissioners, "The western side of the city should not be raped."
Yeah, fuck this guy.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Sunset is farther away from "San Francisco" than Oakland is, and it's a part of San Francisco.

I'm for it.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It has the least amount of history. I dunno, what's special about it. I'm always open to listening.

Depends on what you care about in history. We've got golden gate park, lands end, the sutro bath ruins, the massive left over russian populace (we are where all the Russian markets and bakeries are), go further back and we were still Mexico until the mid 1800s.

All neat. Still relatively low density compared to the rest of SF, both in terms of interesting businesses and housing units. It doesn't have the same "vibe" as the rest of the city and feels much more like a sleepy sprawl.

Sunset and richmond are the only parts that still feel like SF to me. The only people left over that were born here I know live in the Richmond. Other districts are either overflowing with tourists to insanity like north beach and chinatown or gentrified with startup techies like the marina and mission (well not all of the mission yet, but it's almost there). Clement is the new china town and old school san franciscans still exist out here but even that is changing. Old guard restaurants and shops are dying all up and down Geary, Clement, and Irving to be replaced with new super overpriced hipster joints filled with new rich people I've never seen before. Starting to look like northern Filmore around here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's remarkable that the city built almost every building with double wide driveways and thus eliminated almost all street parking (Richmond more than Sunset)

Parking in the Marina is easier than parking in the western spots.

BTW West Portal is underrated neighborhood and has secret tunnel to downtown.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
BTW West Portal is underrated neighborhood and has secret tunnel to downtown.

Absolutely. Miss the Bullshead and british market they had there. Nostalgic for college memories of Sushi Suki. Though I don't know if you can call it underrated when its rent is ridiculous. Richmond and Sunset has the best value rents in the city.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
We almost bought a house in sunset awhile back. I like it. Public transport just makes it awful. The trains have to move on the street with normal traffic and that makes em crazy slow. Richmond doesn't even have any trains at all. I have serious doubts the city would ever fix either porblem, let alone zone to build the large apartments that are needed. People will have a fit if you block their ocean view.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
We almost bought a house in sunset awhile back. I like it. Public transport just makes it awful. The trains have to move on the street with normal traffic and that makes em crazy slow. Richmond doesn't even have any trains at all. I have serious doubts the city would ever fix either porblem, let alone zone to build the large apartments that are needed. People will have a fit if you block their ocean view.

Funny enough, no one had an ocean view until you get to the 30s in street number because of the hills. Most of what I hear is people not wanting to kill the "charm" but holding on to the look with the limited housing is killing the culture. Funny thing about the trains too, the muni light rail to the sunset is slower than the 38/38R that runs through the Richmond. Even more so they have the express buses for commute times. Only takes me 30 minutes to get to my office in FiDi while it takes my employee in Sunset about an hour. Crazy when you remember we're just a little 7x7 mile square.