• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Thanks for taking the initiative and setting it up. Might want to get a post on the main forums at some point, although it can probably be in the New Year. Maybe even ask for it to get stickied for a bit.

At any rate, I added my availability. I prefer earlier in Jan to later, as I'm pretty free until school starts again. Afterwards, I should be good but I am less sure.
How would we get it stickied? I don't know if I want to create the thread. :?

So far there have been only six responses. Bay Area ERA why you sleeping on this. I honestly believe it should be called the "Sleepy Bay Area." :P

Yah!

Everybody vote Jan 27th as that is when I will be in San Fran!

Also I didn't understand the instructions. I put my username as username:lol
The intent is for you to use your ResetEra username, so that we can gauge who wants to go, but noted.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
hateradio let's get some barbecue

Also I was real dumb and was thinking Dec 27th. I'm in for January 27th I think.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Busy trying to move, actually. Looks like I won't hit the semester start target, which is a bit of a mixed bag. My folks were in town for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Years, so I kinda blame them for it somewhat, lol. Anybody live in the Balboa Park/Outer Mission area and have good/bad experiences? Seems kinda affordable, maybe because of all the CCSF students? I need a place that straddles San Mateo and Berkeley and this seems like the best option for not driving.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Busy trying to move, actually. Looks like I won't hit the semester start target, which is a bit of a mixed bag. My folks were in town for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Years, so I kinda blame them for it somewhat, lol. Anybody live in the Balboa Park/Outer Mission area and have good/bad experiences? Seems kinda affordable, maybe because of all the CCSF students? I need a place that straddles San Mateo and Berkeley and this seems like the best option for not driving.

Been in this neighborhood for +20 years. Pretty quiet for the most part, but if you want to get to places you need to drive/BART.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Been in this neighborhood for +20 years. Pretty quiet for the most part, but if you want to get to places you need to drive/BART.

Thanks for the reassurances. I think we've more or less settled on SOMA/Upper Mission/Dogpatch at this point, despite the cost, unfortunately. The #1 priority for both of us is ease of access and having a place that is accessible to both the 4th and King Caltrain (or 22nd Street) and a BART (anywhere along the line) has become sort of paramount in our search because that cuts down both of our commutes to around 30 minutes one way.

I just really wish it weren't so damn expensive.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
So anyone still interested in meeting up at the Emporium on Fri or Sat night?

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
woo, bay area thread. I live in palo alto and work in mountain view.

Y'all are spoiled with the weather, I just moved down from Canada last summer.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys ever get off your butt and organize a meetup, you should totally do it at Emporium. This place rocks.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
25 cents per credit and you get 3 lives per credit on The Simpsons game. You can best Mr. Burns for under a $1 and the whole game for like $2.50.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Now that I'm in the City it should be easy to go. I'm lazy though and haven't finished unpacking. I'm always down to meet somebody for a quick drink though.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Doing Alcatraz right now.

On my way here I saw a "trucks not recommended on this street" sign.

Where I'm from, we have trucks prohibited signs. I love how the sign here anticipated a response of "fuck you sign, you can't tell me where to drive" and the sign is just like "whatever, I warned you."

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I have a request to bring back some really good sourdough bread. Any recommendations?

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Boudin it is, I'd get one that looks like a teddy bear if I didn't think it would get destroyed on the way back. Regular 1.5lb round it is.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Anyone here know a good hobby shop in the South Bay to buy 1:64 diecast? The big box stores don't carry anything that I want majority of the time.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boudin it is, I'd get one that looks like a teddy bear if I didn't think it would get destroyed on the way back. Regular 1.5lb round it is.
This place is amazing
https://www.neighborsf.com/menu/

inv_image.gif
inv_image.gif

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
You might find this interesting. My two trips to the Golden Gate Bridge 2010 vs 2018. Pics are taken from basically the same spot:

aCd4nug.jpg

bDhfG3j.jpg

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was this taken at the same time of year? Although the weather is nice right now, I find this to be very problematic when it comes to the future of the Bay Area's weather.

The coastal fog is the only thing that is capable of supplying the Redwoods and Sequoias with enough water on a day-to-day basis and that is diminishing. I think the Bay Area is going to be deeply impacted by climate change. It's going to change the landscape and the weather isn't going to be as moderate as it once was, which we're experiencing now.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Uh, it's 75 in the beginning of February...

That does not bode well for summer temps.

Yep. My advice -- buy AC's now if you need them. Otherwise, just get the biggest fans that you can possibly buy and have them ready, cause it's gonna be a scorcher. It was so nice walking out today (no jacket, short pants). We walked from Kaizer up to Japantown and then back down to our place, it was so nice out.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm liking my move to the east bay quite a bit. Still up for meets but we're a lethargic group haha

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might move to Hollister before the end of the year, don't know yet. I think Silicon Valley Comic Con might be a good place to meet.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Got my groceries delivered without free delivery today for the first day. I think I'm becoming part of the problem here in the City, slowly. It was $ 7.00 and I was like fuck it, I don't want to deal with it right now. The dude even refused the tip I gave him, seemed insulted that I even offered it to him.

Edit: Don't judge me >_<

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
And rained a bit, finally. Although it was over by noon. I really want to do something fun this weekend, been holed up with midterms over the last couple of weeks. Finally got my paper done tonight for a class, midterm on Thursday though.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
And rained a bit, finally. Although it was over by noon. I really want to do something fun this weekend, been holed up with midterms over the last couple of weeks. Finally got my paper done tonight for a class, midterm on Thursday though.
Yeah I'm thinking of going to the Alameda pinball museum. Still haven't checked out Emporium either.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how's life in San Francisco at the moment? Anything fun or exciting things in the near future?

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Probably. I think there's a taco cruise soon but it's too rich for my blood ($80 for all you can eat/drink)

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I just picked up some exercise equipment here in Pleasent Hill and it's supposedly 66 degrees... but man I'm sweating.

I think one reason I haven't moved out of SF yet is I won't be able to handle legit heat outside of SF. Maybe my body would eventually adjust... but man I hate sweating on a normal day.

Where outside of SF has similar SF weather? Pacifica? I've lived close to Daly City... but cost of living down is ridiculous now like most places Maybe further south of Pacifica?

I need that 50-60 degree weather in my life.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I just picked up some exercise equipment here in Pleasent Hill and it's supposedly 66 degrees... but man I'm sweating.

I think one reason I haven't moved out of SF yet is I won't be able to handle legit heat outside of SF. Maybe my body would eventually adjust... but man I hate sweating on a normal day.

Where outside of SF has similar SF weather? Pacifica? I've lived close to Daly City... but cost of living down is ridiculous now like most places Maybe further south of Pacifica?

I need that 50-60 degree weather in my life.

South of Pacifica is HMB, which is pretty ridonculous in terms of cost of living. It's a nice place though as long as there is no traffic 30 mins to San Mateo, same to Pacifica, 92 or 1 are backed up, then it's horrible.

There's not much in terms of living areas past that -- it's all kinda rural coast, which is weird for places that are so close to civilization otherwise. Eventually you'll hit a few towns but they'll be well south of anything you'll be expecting, I imagine.

DataStream

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
If any designers, dev ops, full stack engineers, engineering managers, or UX designers are looking for gigs send me a PM. (at the place that let's you shop some photos)