• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
Sup. I'm in the East Bay! It's great here if you can find an affordable place.

Anyone else play badminton? It's a super-underrated sport in America. My tiny crew are always lookin' for new peeps to join the fun, so message me if you're interested. I would call us advanced beginner / lower intermediate prolly, playin' for ~3 years with increasing intensity. We frequent the courts in Emeryville and Union City.

Yooo, I may join you guys some time!

I played a lot in undergrad, but then I completely stopped once I went to grad school. But I've recently picked it up again and have been playing with some friends/co-workers on occasion. I live in South Bay so that makes it a little more difficult - I visit the East Bay on occasion though.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Sup. I'm in the East Bay! It's great here if you can find an affordable place.

Anyone else play badminton? It's a super-underrated sport in America. My tiny crew are always lookin' for new peeps to join the fun, so message me if you're interested. I would call us advanced beginner / lower intermediate prolly, playin' for ~3 years with increasing intensity. We frequent the courts in Emeryville and Union City.
Dude my wife and I totally like badminton, it's the one sport I've actually bought equipment for. I keep driving south into the bay from the city so I can find court time.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized I'm busy Friday after work, so probably can't go to the soft open, but def in the future, maybe this weekend.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I'll be here for the next two weeks and then to LA, then back here after the new year.

I'd be interested in going sometime.

Also, I really want to find a new apartment that's not in the pit of the south bay. :/

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah I can bug you hateradio to confirm for Saturday but I just realized my birthday is next week so I may go next week.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see some badminton enthusiasm. :)
Yooo, I may join you guys some time!

I played a lot in undergrad, but then I completely stopped once I went to grad school. But I've recently picked it up again and have been playing with some friends/co-workers on occasion. I live in South Bay so that makes it a little more difficult - I visit the East Bay on occasion though.

Cool. Z Badminton in Union City might be a good middle-point between South Bay and Oakland. I like that place, usually has open courts and good traction. PM if you wanna try to set something up!

I'm female btw
my wife and I totally like badminton, it's the one sport I've actually bought equipment for. I keep driving south into the bay from the city so I can find court time.
Nice. Me too. I run with a mid-range Voltric 7 and some Yonex shoes I caught on sale. My default string is BG66 but trying 65s at the moment. They're certainly more durable, but missing a little of that BG66 repulsiveness.

I usually play with my male baddo enthusiast friend so if you and your wife want to play we'd have a quartet!

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
Nice to see some badminton enthusiasm. :)

Cool. Z Badminton in Union City might be a good middle-point between South Bay and Oakland. I like that place, usually has open courts and good traction. PM if you wanna try to set something up!

!

That sounds really good! I tried to PM you but It seems like I'm blocked from doing so.

Nov 4, 2017
Love Badminton but I'm no longer in Union City and just moved to Vegas :(

IIRC Vegas has a badminton training facility where one of the top US women's singles players trained there.

Interesting to see so many badminton players in the Bay compared to 10-15 years ago before all the gyms started popping up everywhere.

Someone should create a BadmintonERA thread.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Looks like I am moving to Dublin! I got a job offer and took over someone's lease with a move-in cash bonus.

I'm super excited! :D

Congrats! Hope it's a good one.

So I checked out The Emporium yesterday and the launch musta been real soft, cause it was closed when I got there. Hope other ERA folks checking it out have more luck than I did this weekend.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
It was real cold yesterday morning but warmed up a ton in the day.

Anyone see Emporium (when it was open) yet?

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally coming back to the Bay for winter break in 2 weeks. In Philly currently, medical school prevented me from coming back for a whole year :\

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Street dogs are wondrous. Perfect when you are already in a state of poor judgement and strong desires.

Anyways, if anyone is reading this tonight few cool bands are playing at piano fight downtown. Shameless plug for the Y Axes. They're great. The lead guitarist was a NASA chemist.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I need some guidance, Bay Area peeps.

I was born and raised in East Bay, but I moved a say some years ago. I'm north a ways, but still in California. I am hoping I can get some perspective on a situation I have with my apartment situation.

I need to renew my lease (over six months before my current one is up). They've added some new info to their lease rules and regulations. One is written as such,

The Tenant is responsible for damage to the property caused by vandalism, malicious mischief, or any other acts beyond the control of the Landlord.

Naturally, this seemed sketchy to me. It's very broad. I looked it up and legally, it appear to be unenforceable. They'd need to prove that I'm responsible to make me pay for it. Naturally, I'd never do something that stupid. I live in a great place.

Now, I've made them aware of this info and asked for clarification of these new terms they've made, as they are super general. Their response is that they want me to stop by their office and talk in person. This is also sketchy to me, as that means they may want to avoid saying anything on the record.

I'm wondering what my next step should be. I have a great thing with my landlord, never been the cause of any issue or complaint. I do know, though, that can mean absolutely nothing when it comes to a capitalist venture. Any advice is appreciated. Or if this is the wrong place, I apologize.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
appears that my housing is going up again in fairfield :/ rent went up from 1200 to 1600. family might have to move to sac and i'll have to rent a room here since i work in napa. halp lmao

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I am now. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. I'll be at Fort Mason for to check out Isaac Julien's Playtime anyways, so might as well check it out.

Oh lordy.

Sounds like a future SF-era meet up destination

My thoughts exactly.

Let's get it going.

The soft-open is on December 1st. Maybe we could all stop by that evening?

I'm down. Not for the opening but I'm definitely down

I just realized I'm busy Friday after work, so probably can't go to the soft open, but def in the future, maybe this weekend.

I'll be here for the next two weeks and then to LA, then back here after the new year.

I'd be interested in going sometime.

Also, I really want to find a new apartment that's not in the pit of the south bay. :/

Aaaaay, the thread is back and I somehow missed it. Acrid and Hateradio still around. Are we going to have an inaugural SFera meetup?

Liking the sound of this. Soma already got my interest.

Hey Everybody,

I'm in town Jan 26th-28th(I'm going to the Talking Simpsons Sketchfest panel) and would love to arrange an ERA meetup that weekend likely the Friday or Saturday. It would be great to meet some new people and hang out with some of you cool peeps I met at PSX a couple years ago.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Yo Krae_Man! I know we've met in Seattle, Boston, as well as the PSX meet in SF. Sadly I'll be out of town those dates, hope others step in and make something happen.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I think I've decided that I'll be moving in the next two months to Milbrae/South SF, since I have no interest in living in the south bay any longer. It would still be outside of SF, which I'm okay with, but a short drive/BART from downtown.

I would have to commute to work every few days, but I think that's better than living close to work and feeling like nothing around me is happening. :{

Any misc sites to find places? I'm just using apartments.com and the like.

appears that my housing is going up again in fairfield :/ rent went up from 1200 to 1600. family might have to move to sac and i'll have to rent a room here since i work in napa. halp lmao
What's even in that area to make the rent go up that much?

Bay Area rents are ridic. It's insane that people think LA rents are higher, when they're really not. (I'm originally from LA.)

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think I've decided that I'll be moving in the next two months to Milbrae/South SF, since I have no interest in living in the south bay any longer. It would still be outside of SF, which I'm okay with, but a short drive/BART from downtown.

I would have to commute to work every few days, but I think that's better than living close to work and feeling like nothing around me is happening. :{

Any misc sites to find places? I'm just using apartments.com and the like.

Bay Area rents are ridic. It's insane that people think LA rents are higher, when they're really not. (I'm originally from LA.)

I have always found eventual success with Craigslist

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area

a combination of people from the east bay getting the boot and getting pushed here/vallejo and the napa/sonoma fires burning down so many homes people had to move to this area

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I have always found eventual success with Craigslist
It seems sketchy most of the time, so I kind of avoid it, but I'll give it a second chance.

a combination of people from the east bay getting the boot and getting pushed here/vallejo and the napa/sonoma fires burning down so many homes people had to move to this area
That makes sense. I wish more of the bay besides SF was like an actual dense metropolis that could house many more people, but everything is so so spread out, even though there's not a lot of surface area.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
krae_man I'll probably be around and down to meet up. I'm buried deep in finals hell right now tho' so I'll properly respond in a few days.

hateradio What's your commute plan? If you work in the South Bay and plan to commute via Caltrain I'd highly suggest Millbrae over south SF, simply because you don't have to do the switchover from BART. That'll easily save you 20-25 minutes some days, especially if they aren't in sync (as they tend to be later on in the day/evening). I'm actually thinking about moving up to Daly City myself soon, GF has a gig in San Mateo and we need a place that's kinda equidistant between Berkeley and San Mateo for the time being.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My brother found his place on Craigslist. They were really nice folks. He's still friends with them even after moving out.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeesh, air quality getting poor up here due to the SoCal fires. It's all blowing up north, and today is pretty bad it looks like.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Let's BaySET 2018 *air horns times three*

hateradio What's your commute plan? If you work in the South Bay and plan to commute via Caltrain I'd highly suggest Millbrae over south SF, simply because you don't have to do the switchover from BART. That'll easily save you 20-25 minutes some days, especially if they aren't in sync (as they tend to be later on in the day/evening). I'm actually thinking about moving up to Daly City myself soon, GF has a gig in San Mateo and we need a place that's kinda equidistant between Berkeley and San Mateo for the time being.
Just a long ride to the south of nowhere of San Jose.

But I'll be working from home a few times a week.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I created an event thing...

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
It's just to see what days and times would best to meet on a Saturday in January.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a little heads up for those going from 680 SB to 280 NB and 101 SB. There's a man on a ramp looking to end it all.
OFp0JHe.jpg

Highway has closed exits all the way from Berryessa and possibly further north to King Road.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA

Hidden content
It's just to see what days and times would best to meet on a Saturday in January.

Thanks for taking the initiative and setting it up. Might want to get a post on the main forums at some point, although it can probably be in the New Year. Maybe even ask for it to get stickied for a bit.

At any rate, I added my availability. I prefer earlier in Jan to later, as I'm pretty free until school starts again. Afterwards, I should be good but I am less sure.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017

Hidden content

Yah!

Everybody vote Jan 27th as that is when I will be in San Fran!

Also I didn't understand the instructions. I put my username as username:lol