• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity how are the homeless handling this? Can't imagine it's that good for them in SF.

Can't speak for SF but in the South Bay I had to drive in to the office cuz of a power outage shut down my system and along the way there's a spot where homeless people normally are and it was completely empty.

On a different note, I was kinda surprised how many people were out and about on the way in though.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Sonoma County just declared Shelter in Place orders effective at midnight tonight.

http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/CAO/Pres...cer-Orders-County-Residents-Shelter-in-Place/

The Sonoma County Health Officer has issued a Health Order directing residents to shelter in place effective midnight on Wednesday March 18, 2020.

This recent Order comes after the County received two additional cases of local transmission from coronavirus (COVID-19) yesterday, and two cases over the past weekend.

All individuals currently living within the County are ordered to shelter at their homes. To the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they must at all times as reasonably possible maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person when they are outside their residence.

This Health Order will be in place for three weeks until April 7, 2020. The Health Order limits activity, travel and business functions to only the most basic and essential needs.

They do go into detail about what services are considered essential, which is good. They didn't explain what activities are allowed outside however--- is it okay to go on a run if nobody is around? Hiking/walking? Fishing by yourself? I understand that the point of the announcement is to emphasize not going outside, but people are going to want to get some fresh air or, go somewhere where they are away from population centers. Hopefully the county's FAQ is updated to clarify.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Really think this lockdown rollout is being half-assed in a way that will make people non compliant.

Without any mention of how people will get relief from bills and debt, people will work or find ways to work regardless. People are going to feel abandoned.

I'm not even blaming the city particularly, clearly a lot of the financial security net is not in their control besides (I ASSUME) rent and evictions. But car payments, loans, mortgages, credit cards - wtf is going to happen? Most people can't ride out an indeterminate amount of time.
I agree with this. These extreme measures can not be sustained over long periods of time. I give it a few weeks before many people run out of money and food. Then what? How are people supposed to live? Unlike posh jobs, a lot of people are not getting paid when these "non-essential" services gets closed.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity how are the homeless handling this? Can't imagine it's that good for them in SF.

All of the homeless that live near me are in their usual spot.

It seems as though people are adhering to the spirit of the shelter policy, at least in principle. My partner is an essential employee, and traffic was deader than a doornail this morning (she could have taken BART + a short bus ride, but we've decided to avoid public transit for the time being and she doesn't really enjoy driving). I live in downtown SF, and very few people have been on the streets. The lockdown was never intended to have all people cease activity completely, but to get people to clear out as much as possible and it seems to be having that effect. At the same time, I can, for example, go out to pick her up without fear of being pulled over by the cops.

I wonder if my cleaners are gonna come next week

There are people outside near me. Less than usual but more than I expected. I'm in Castro.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
Monterey County as well. I am essential personnel so I report in tomorrow but we get 80 hours of time off/work from home. Management is scrambling figuring out how many people need to go to the office. Tomorrow should be fun.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Schools might be done for the rest of this school year:

www.sfgate.com

California governor: Most schools likely out until the fall

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Most California schools will likely remain closed for the rest of the school year because of the new coronavirus, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Tuesday. Nearly all the state's schools have already shut down as the most populous state tries to stop the spread of the virus...

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They forced Tesla to shut down the Fremont plant, thank goodness.

Elon said fuck that apparently!

www.reuters.com

Tesla to limit workers at California factory with virus lockdown order, county says

Tesla Inc has agreed to reduce the number of active workers at its California vehicle factory, but remains in talks about other measures to comply with a regional lockdown to curb the spread of coronavirus, a county spokesman said on Wednesday.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Elon said fuck that apparently!

www.reuters.com

Tesla to limit workers at California factory with virus lockdown order, county says

Tesla Inc has agreed to reduce the number of active workers at its California vehicle factory, but remains in talks about other measures to comply with a regional lockdown to curb the spread of coronavirus, a county spokesman said on Wednesday.

Still open today. Conditions sound pretty unsanitary.

I'm wondering if Musk's offer to make ventilators is a gambit to be classified "essential".

Oct 29, 2017
I hate to say this. But I think it's going to get bad in the Peninsula. In Foster City today people are treating this shutdown like an day off and playing in the park. Seals Point is closed. People were parking on the street to sneak in.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Still open today. Conditions sound pretty unsanitary.

I'm wondering if Musk's offer to make ventilators is a gambit to be classified "essential".

Tesla is now shutting down the factory. Their statement is pretty laughable though:

"Despite taking all known health precautions, continued operations in certain locations has caused challenges for our employees, their families and our suppliers," the company wrote in a press release. "As such, we have decided to temporarily suspend production" at both factories.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus: Expect Bay Area shelter-in-place order extension this week, officials say
"In all likelihood, we'll have another shelter in place order early this week," Cindy Chavez, president of the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors, said during a tour of county fairgrounds facilities that will be used to help unhoused people protect themselves from the coronavirus.

Bay Area public health officers who co-signed the country's first widespread shelter-in-place order, which went into effect March 17 and is set to expire April 7, are in ongoing talks about potentially extending the current order to May 1, according to multiple sources familiar with those discussions.

well my aunt is not gonna be happy about this.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
While many people are adhering, there are still enough idiots out there who think shelter in place is an excuse for a day off, that you can still go to the beach or a hike.

It's unfortunate.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Bay area is doing a good job with shelter in place. Sure, there are a few people who are being dumb, but I don't think going to a trail or a beach is inherently bad, it's just bad if the area is crowded. A moot point anyways, since most places are closing down.

Cases in SF are 340 as of yesterday and considering that we got cases just after Washington got bad we are doing pretty fantastic all things considered. The story is mostly the same across the Bay Area.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we're doing pretty good; 8 of 9 counties got rated an A for social distancing.

• Eight of nine Bay Area counties get an "A" for staying put.
  • Best: San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara counties saw a more than 60% decrease in distance traveled.
  • Solano County fared the worst but still receives a "B" with a 37% decrease in distance traveled.
  • Overall in California, urban counties are faring better at staying put and rural counties are seeing more movement.

www.nbcbayarea.com

Coronavirus: Bay Area Social Distancing Graded by County

For anyone wondering how the Bay Area is doing overall in terms of social distancing, there’s a map for that.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I feel like the bay should implement an additional stimulus package to help the service industry workers here. SF already had impacted local businesses before the pandemic. A lot of them are not going to make it through this and there are only some many gift certificates the public can buy to support.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the bay should implement an additional stimulus package to help the service industry workers here. SF already had impacted local businesses before the pandemic. A lot of them are not going to make it through this and there are only some many gift certificates the public can buy to support.
My hours got cut to 8 a week from 32 (I'm also a part-time student). The stimulus check will pay one months rent. I already filed for (partial) unemployment benefits, but I don't know if I qualify for the extra $600 being handed out because I'm not full time at the moment, I could be really fucked.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
My hours got cut to 8 a week from 32 (I'm also a part-time student). The stimulus check will pay one months rent. I don't know if I qualify for the extra $600 being handed out because I'm not full time at the moment, I could be really fucked.
You don't need to be full time to qualify usually. You just need your hours to be reduced a certain amount below your average hours.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
So what we feared might happen for a while finally did. Overall I think SF has been doing a commendable job in controlling the spread of COVID, but it was only a matter of time before the disease would start sweeping through the housing insecure population.

SFDPH has done a great job in containing the spread but the homeless has been such a blind spot in their plan. Anecdotally, I made the mistake ordering pickup from the Tenderloin last week and I am surprised that this sort of thing hasn't happened sooner.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
New order will extend the stay in home order until end of May in six Bay Area counties, including Santa Clara and San Francisco. It seems the new orders will allow some more activities, but still require most to stay in home.

edit:
ABC7: 6 Bay Area counties relax some shelter-in-place restrictions; here are changes starting May 4
On Monday, Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties, as well as the City of Berkeley, which has its own public health department, announced an extension of the stay-at-home orders through May 31.

Starting May 4, a few activities that were previously banned will be permitted.

"All construction activities, certain businesses that operate primarily outdoors, and some outdoor activities will be allowed to resume with specific conditions," Bay Area public health officials said in a joint press release.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
New order will extend the stay in home order until end of May in six Bay Area counties, including Santa Clara and San Francisco. It seems the new orders will allow some more activities, but still require most to stay in home.

edit:
ABC7: 6 Bay Area counties relax some shelter-in-place restrictions; here are changes starting May 4

I had no idea gardeners were supposed to stop work. I've seen plenty continue on since this all started. It makes sense when you think about it, but it doesn't seem like anyone stopped doing it.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea gardeners were supposed to stop work. I've seen plenty continue on since this all started. It makes sense when you think about it, but it doesn't seem like anyone stopped doing it.
The messaging on the order has been pretty poor. I think there are a lot of things going on that are in violation but appear to be a gray area.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of them didn't know, but Santa Clara County is fining them up to $1000 if they are caught working, so ours just stopped coming.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I am looking forward to seeing what will be allowed, but I'm not hoping for much.

How have all of you been doing? Staying in doors? Breaking all the rules? Diving into corona infested open campaigns?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I am looking forward to seeing what will be allowed, but I'm not hoping for much.

How have all of you been doing? Staying in doors? Breaking all the rules? Diving into corona infested open campaigns?

Working on hobbies. Wife and I have been indoors with the exception of laundry and groceries for weeks. Other exception was renting a zipcar on the 8th for our 5 year anniversary and seeing sights from inside but that's it. To unwind and get fresh air we've been heading to our apartment roof to take in the city and the park.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They were only supposed to stop work on doing things just for appearance. But if you let grass grow too long it can get insects, rodents and snakes, if you let tree branches grow too long they can be a danger, so a certain amount of gardening is actually allowed.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Miiiiseeerrraaaable. I'm so bored.

Wouldn't say I've broken all the rules but I've definitely made some non-essential Target trips.

I've finished FF7 Remake and I'm about 3/4 of the way through P5 Royal.