• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Not showing in my subscriptions ... weird...

edit: Oh, it's still unlisted, so it's probably Patreon Early access?

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Will be interesting. I've noticed that even the wokiest of my woke friends have a tendency to do this. I simply say "it is funny because it is rape" to them and watch their brain explode.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
No grosser example than Orange is the New Black's S5.

An entire show about the risks of dehumanization that prominently displayed the ugliness of prisioner abuse and issues such as the lack of consent of inmates decided to use female on male violence and sexual assault for laughs for an entire goddamned season.

The writer's room nearly powersharted their way out of the show with that one.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Video doesn't work anymore. Is it that video where a woman jumps on a sleeping guy in the subway and drags him out of the wagon? I've seen that on Twitter yesterday. Thankfully most people reacting to that tweet did not find it funny.
Edit:
Entirely wrong video.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's not sexual, but I remember being at a premiere party for season 2 of Legend Of Korra and being surrounded by people laughing at the girl that was taking advantage of Bolin, yelling at him, etc. and people laughing. When I asked someone why they thought it was funny, they blew up at me saying "it's funny because it's reversed!" Just seemed really messed up.

But yeah, video doesn't work for me.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at "that's my boy" (2012)
This teen on adult teacher sex scene cannot be real
(around 22 min in the vid)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it's played for laughs but I wonder if it mentions the end of 40 days and 40 nights. I still think of how fucked up that is and the way the movie glosses over it.

For those who haven't seen it: at the end of the main character's 40 days of abstinence he gets tied to his bed to avoid temptation and goes to sleep. He wakes to find his ex girlfriend having sex with him to win a betting pool on which day he would fail. I vaguely remember the movie treating it as him failing, ignoring that he was raped, and he gets together with the love interest character at the end.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it's played for laughs but I wonder if it mentions the end of 40 days and 40 nights. I still think of how fucked up that is and the way the movie glosses over it.

For those who haven't seen it: at the end of the main character's 40 days of abstinence he gets tied to his bed to avoid temptation and goes to sleep. He wakes to find his ex girlfriend having sex with him to win a betting pool on which day he would fail. I vaguely remember the movie treating it as him failing, ignoring that he was raped, and he gets together with the love interest character at the end.

This is the example that I always remember too. Main character is raped by his ex-girlfriend, his love interest treats him like he's the arsehole for cheating. He is the one who has to make amends and convince her to take him back and his ex gets away with no repercussions. Totally bizarre.

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely well researched and trenchant as usual, but I often find something slightly off in the definitive bent of the arguments put forward. It frames most of the examples as equally reprehensible, and has an air of suggesting all the associated media is unconscionably and uniformly problematic. What they're arguing is correct, but the lack of gradation in its assessments somewhat weakens the presentation.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

This is the example that I always remember too. Main character is raped by his ex-girlfriend, his love interest treats him like he's the arsehole for cheating. He is the one who has to make amends and convince her to take him back and his ex gets away with no repercussions. Totally bizarre.
WTF

WHY

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

The rape scene is shown (i remember because at first I mixed it with "30 days of night" and was very confused) but the after make it much worst

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Prison School is one of the funniest shows/manga I ever read but holy shit would it fare awfully if you looked at it from this lens. There is so much sexual assault played for laughs or suspense.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely well researched and trenchant as usual, but I often find something slightly off in the definitive bent of the arguments put forward. It frames most of the examples as equally reprehensible, and has an air of suggesting all the associated media is unconscionably and uniformly problematic. What they're arguing is correct, but the lack of gradation in its assessments somewhat weakens the presentation.

The video literally stated that "you may ask whether some of the examples are really that bad. They are all examples of non consensual activity. "

Also, and I say this as a male victim of sexual assault... fuck no, there is zero room for gradation. They ARE all reprehensible and this trend of male victims of unwanted sexual contact being played for humor needs to end. There is not room for gray areas here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
This shit is pretty awful. Made it basically impossible to ever talk about and be taken seriously.

"Hey at least you got laid right?" Fucking no. No I did not "get laid".

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
D
The video literally stated that "you may ask whether some of the examples are really that bad. They are all examples of non consensual activity. "

Also, and I say this as a male victim of sexual assault... fuck no, there is zero room for gradation. They ARE all reprehensible and this trend of male victims of unwanted sexual contact being played for humor needs to end. There is not room for gray areas here.
Dude come in its just dudes getting raped we need shades of grey not black and white 'males should never be raped' hardline stances

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this shit must be really internalized for me.

I had a post typed about gradation, and my two personal examples (a counselor seducing me shortly after therapy ended and unsolicited butt grab (I was 15, happened at a college)) and how they bothered me a bit, but not that much, or werent that serious. But yo, my memory is not great, and I have zero memories of that Model UN trip to a college other than that. And the feeling associated with it isnt happy or excited. Its confusion, and one of being taken advantage of/mocked. I was an exceptionally awkward 15 year old, and they were attractive coeds. The lasting impression is one of humiliation.

The counseller? Well, I was of age and went along with that (relationship of sorts for several months) so I probably shouldnt include it for a non-consensual topic.

But yeah, you see this all the time, and I'm glad it's getting more of a light shine on it.

I had no idea about "baby it's cold outside" having a reversed version. That was interesting.

Well done video.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
User Banned (Permanent): Minimizing and Trivializing Sexual Assault
I mean, I still find it funny when the perpetrator is a woman.
My first experiences were with the ex-gf of a teacher of mine while I was still underage.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't respect a fellow man if he told me he felt he was raped by a woman, but I have yet to meet such case in person.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm in support of anything that shed further light on this topic. It's never talked about enough and it's just the worst double standard that has psychological ripple effects.

Oct 28, 2017
Really good video. I think this is largely the product of how sex and gender roles are still often held to older ways of thinking

1. Men are assumed to be stronger and basically always in control. The idea is that "a man could overpower a woman. So if he truly didn't want it, he could just force her to stop. So him not doing so means he actually wants sex." On the other hand, women are assumed to be too fragile to ever fight back in this scenario.

2. Sex is still often viewed as something where the man gains something, while the woman loses something. As if sex leads to a man taking a woman's dignity or something. So people view woman raping a man as a joke since there is no way she took his dignity. In the end, she is the one who only is hurt by it since she is giving away some of her dignity. That is a common view.

3. Men face fewer unwanted physiological results from sex. Men can't get pregnant and unwanted forced sex doesn't lead to soreness. This one isn't even very consistent since anal penetration on men will be played up as a joke.

4. Men are much less emotional than women, so therefore they won't feel as much emotional damage from rape.

5. Women must be valued by their chastity and men do not. When a woman is raped, she is viewed as a lesser person for it. This is unfortunately still thought even if not so explicitly today. However men are made to never worry about this.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

It was horrible when it first came out. I remember vividly thinking what the fuck when I saw it way back when.
It was infuriating when his girlfriend dumped him for being raped by his ex-girlfriend.

I saw that movie when I was pretty young and ... GOD the aftermath of that scene was so ridiculously unfair, horrible and toxic.

Dude literally got raped in his sleep by his ex who literally did it because she actively knew for a fact he wasn't interested, yet he got treated as somehow unfaithful?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I still find it funny when the perpetrator is a woman.
My first experiences were with the ex-gf of a teacher of mine while I was still underage.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't respect a fellow man if he told me he felt he was raped by a woman, but I have yet to meet such case in person.

I hope this ban is permanent.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I just saw this posted in my feed earlier. Went back and watched part 1 before this one. What a great series I hope they do more and tackle other subjects along this line. Kudos all around.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Really good video. I think this is largely the product of how sex and gender roles are still often held to older ways of thinking

1. Men are assumed to be stronger and basically always in control. The idea is that "a man could overpower a woman. So if he truly didn't want it, he could just force her to stop. So him not doing so means he actually wants sex." On the other hand, women are assumed to be too fragile to ever fight back in this scenario.

2. Sex is still often viewed as something where the man gains something, while the woman loses something. As if sex leads to a man taking a woman's dignity or something. So people view woman raping a man as a joke since there is no way she took his dignity. In the end, she is the one who only is hurt by it since she is giving away some of her dignity. That is a common view.

3. Men face fewer unwanted physiological results from sex. Men can't get pregnant and unwanted forced sex doesn't lead to soreness. This one isn't even very consistent since anal penetration on men will be played up as a joke.

4. Men are much less emotional than women, so therefore they won't feel as much emotional damage from rape.

5. Women must be valued by their chastity and men do not. When a woman is raped, she is viewed as a lesser person for it. This is unfortunately still thought even if not so explicitly today. However men are made to never worry about this.

I think it's a lot simpler than that. A lot of people think it's hilarious when a man accidentally takes a shot to his crotch. Whatever makes makes men getting hit in the nuts funny to people can probably be extrapolated out into a lot of these attempts at humor.

Oct 25, 2017
Which examples do you feel are more or less reprehensible/problematic?
For example, the Bridesmaid bit with Melissa McCarthy. It's a dumb joke, the behaviour on display is certainly sexual harassment, and it's not like I'm a fan of the film or anything, but the video retains the same feeling of stern condemnation that it shows for things like That's My Boy. The broader point is that any and all trivialisation of sexual assault contributes to the normalisation of rape culture, which I'd generally agree with, but the placement of these sorts of examples on equal footing gives things an odd feel, and to my mind attenuates the repulsion to the extreme ones. The South Park and It's Always Sunny bits, as well, are steamrolled over with a suggestion that they're simply "having their cake and eating it too" by using this humour ironically; there's a valid point in there, but the argument isn't greatly expanded on, and the editing places clips of clearly satirical humour such that the intent seems to be for us to follow it in uniform condemnation.

EDIT: Just to be clear as I know this is a highly and understandably sensitive topic for a lot of people, I'm not saying the behaviour exhibited within these clips is ever okay. I'm saying that the original media sometimes contextualises these moments in a way that the video doesn't thoroughly engage with.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
For example, the Bridesmaid bit with Melissa McCarthy. It's a dumb joke, the behaviour on display is certainly sexual harassment, and it's not like I'm a fan of the film or anything, but the video retains the same feeling of stern condemnation that it shows for things like That's My Boy. The broader point is that any and all trivialisation of sexual assault contributes to the normalisation of rape culture, which I'd generally agree with, but the placement of these sorts of examples on equal footing gives things an odd feel, and to my mind attenuates the repulsion to the extreme ones. The South Park and It's Always Sunny bits, as well, are steamrolled over with a suggestion that they're simply "having their cake and eating it too" by using this humour ironically; there's a valid point in there, but the argument isn't greatly expanded on, and the editing places clips of clearly satirical humour such that the intent seems to be for us to follow it in uniform condemnation.
There are a few things.

First, they are still using sexual harassment and assault as a topic of humor. Even the best intentions make this shaky ground to tread.
Second, and the video gets into this, is that the male victims always get over it relatively quickly. That is both dangerous and incredibly unrealistic. I still suffer from my assault and that was years ago. Despite that, I was told even days afterwards to "get over it." These kinds of depictions contribute to that toxic viewpoint.
Third, even within the context of satire, these clips are incredibly triggering for victims and that's not something that should be ignored.