• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
She had an entire arc, it wasn't a pleasant one, but I don't see how that's getting the short end of the stick if we're comparing her to other characters

Shes the only one who experienced any kind of
adult trauma that's not your usual teenager drama. Everyone else had a hand in their problems but Aimee was a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And at the end of the season Aimee still did not have justice. The theme of accepting responsibility for yourself didnt apply to Aimees story. The person who assaulted her may never be forced to.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shes the only one who experienced any kind of
adult trauma that's not your usual teenager drama. Everyone else had a hand in their problems but Aimee was a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And at the end of the season Aimee still did not have justice. The theme of accepting responsibility for yourself didnt apply to Aimees story. The person who assaulted her may never be forced to.

That's certainly not how I interpreted short end of the stick, thought you just meant a lack of relevance of screentime. In that case, I agree.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Finished this last night. Second season seemed fine other than Isaac at the end. Like the writers don't know how to write Otis and Maeve as a couple or something.

It's really weird, because even just focusing on the 'Sex Ed' stuff, there feels like there's stuff to explore with the two of them. The main plot isn't even about their will they/won't they.

Plus, Otis has no memory of losing his virginity, so actually losing it to Maeve for realsies feels like a decent arc/thread to follow.

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't care less about Otis/Marve. The writers seem to think these two are the Ross and Rachel of this show so this will probably play out past its expiration date. :-/

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny that the popular clique stuff played into pretty much nothing this season, and Ruby and the rest all had their own mini arcs separately.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less about Otis/Marve. The writers seem to think these two are the Ross and Rachel of this show so this will probably play out past its expiration date. :-/
Kind of agree. I also don't think they will work as a couple at alllll. They're far too different and have little to no similar lived experience. To paraphrase Ola: I think they got it wrong. They should be friends.

Haven't really thought of this show much at all since finishing the season. The ending kind of sucked, and the rest of the season had its moment, but was mostly just the kind of Fine to pass the time, but not much more. I feel like S1 was better, but it got worse as it devolved into more (a LOT more) generic romcom type plot beats. For the love of god, no more love triangles.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Season was solid if not a bit disappointing compared to se1. Kind of over the Otis/Maeve story line tbh, it's a bit too predictable and the way the handle it makes me not care. Glad to see some of the comments in here wanting more Otis/Ruby for se3, that was one of the more entertaining set of scenes and they surprisingly work well together--in a real world toxic relationship kind of way. "I said fucking diet." Realest thing said on this show LOL.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I don't dislike Rahim per se but his bluntness really is a huge contrast to Eric's optimism and positivity. Rahim flat out telling a Pastor in a church, "I don't believe in Jesus" is pretty socially inept lol. And then there was the conversation about the musicals. Rahim really has no filter, which isn't a personality deficiency for some people but it clearly is for Eric.

Whereas with Adam, a lot of things just go unsaid because he's emotionally repressed (I know someone who's like this, actually, so I could identify). Many of Adam's best moments aren't what he says, necessarily, but what his facial expression is at a given moment. If I can sense it watching the TV, I imagine Eric can feel that tension as the character in the scene.

yeah, that's how I felt about this all. Kind of liked that story line.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I loved this season, but I really can't stop thinking about that dumb ending lol

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Noone is gonna talk about the Post modern romeo and juliet scene? My god it was a big WHAT AM I WITNESSING moment, very very well done (not even considering the end, that I honestly couldnt care less). Feels like for the next season 2 romatic arcs are not gonna work well (gay couple, maeve and the "bad guy") at all, but I want Otis with the girl he lost the virginity again just because of how fun it was. Ola moving on from Otis and dating the girl was kinda dumb. Otis' father means bad scenes are coming, always. Season 2 was good but I hope it all ends in the third one because they didn do a good job at introducing new characters and I just dont want it all to drag.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... enjoyed it but not as much as Season 1. Not quite as funny in my opinion. As for the ending, it was pretty lame:

I'm not even exactly rooting for Otis and Maeve romantically (I could go either way on that), but for all the reasons already mentioned the whole voice message deletion thing was contrived and ridiculous. I did miss Otis and Maeve being friends and simply interacting more.

The Spartacus ending during Season 1 is still my favorite moment from the show.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
This show's desire at times to stoop to CW-levels of garbage really makes it hard to watch sometimes.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
First episode was very over the top and a bit silly at times. But then it grew better again. Good to have a show that pays attention to a lot of these subjects.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I still have two episodes left, but so far the second season isn't near as good as the first. The first season was charming and all about kids grappling with sexuality. The second season basically just turned it in to a teen drama centered around sex. Which I'm all for usually, but it just didn't seem to do anything very well. Just typical teen not talking to each other shit.

Pretty big bummer. Still here for the characters, but man.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Am I in the minority. Wife and I adored this season and thought it was even better than the first. Had a bit less humor but felt more human and honest to us.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Just finished, I really loved it
But I see I am in the minority here.
Ah well, the ending with the musical was amazing to behold.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished, I really loved it
But I see I am in the minority here.
Ah well, the ending with the musical was amazing to behold.

I liked it overall, because I like the characters. I'm just not really for the change from last season. Adam and Aimes' story through the season was great, but at the same time they had nothing to do 80% of the season.

There was so much about the season that just seemed like contrived usual teen drama stuff which the show wasn't about all last season. How many times last season or even early in this season was communication the key to resolution but none of the characters actually do it this season because...plot.

I didn't even understand why anyone was talking about Sex Kid or why the mom was mad because he basically didn't do it the entire season.

It went from something different and special with characters I love, to kind of being just another teen drama but with characters I love. I'm still here for it, but it's still a bummer.

Maive's story over the entire season can fuck off. Fuck her mom, fuck the neighbor. That was the most teen drama typical plot crap the whole time.

Without Aimes, Adam, and Marchetti I would have probably hated this season.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
I couldn't care less about Otis/Maeve. The writers seem to think these two are the Ross and Rachel of this show so this will probably play out past its expiration date. :-/

Yes, yes, yes.

Between the tired, drawn out tease of Maeve and Otis, the Ola and Lily rapid fire turn around, and the implausible likelihood of Adam and Eric getting together in two seconds flat, it was starting to feel like midseason Friends, where the writers seem to just be doing combinatorial math with the main cast.

Also, how is no one bothered by

Jean getting magically pregnant?? They're setting Otis up to be all cool with Jakob until he's going to be his legit step dad. Ugh. Just seemed unnecessary on top of all the other weird, spontenous character turns.

Also, really can't stand Adam's character. Actor's great, but the character seems lost. Maeve's story is just endlessly dark at this point, and could've used a little more balance. Loved the rest of the season though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed this season, the characters were great and got some solid development and it didn't feel like a cartoon like the first season , acting seemed better too but that ending really bummed me out because it was so cliche.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but for some reason the way it was shot, certain sections of the screen got weirdly unfocused or some weird effect they used but it kept distracting me, first I thought it was my television settings being weird and started switching them around but it didn't help and decided to watch an episode on my computer but it turns out just how the show is filmed/edited. Even the Netflix icon has that photo off Maeve with that effect.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It has a lot of chromatic aberration in the vignette yeah, and a bit of that Sabrina radial blur, though thank fuck not as much as that show, which makes me cross-eyed watching it. Probably has to do with creating that faux eigthies feeling.

I was okay with the ending even if it was contrived and my wife threw her hands up. Otis needs to grovel a good while before being allowed back.

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this season, the characters were great and got some solid development and it didn't feel like a cartoon like the first season , acting seemed better too but that ending really bummed me out because it was so cliche.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but for some reason the way it was shot, certain sections of the screen got weirdly unfocused or some weird effect they used but it kept distracting me, first I thought it was my television settings being weird and started switching them around but it didn't help and decided to watch an episode on my computer but it turns out just how the show is filmed/edited. Even the Netflix icon has that photo off Maeve with that effect.

Yeah they do a lot of weird things with depth of field (and I saw at least one or two split focus shots, which I have not seen any film or television show use in the last twenty years.) Like Dr. Mario says it's probably to give it that unstuck-in-time vintage feeling.

milch

Oct 25, 2017
4 eps in, I feel like they are telling the same story ("have a great partner in X, but want to be with Y") in at least 3 versions in parallel.
Hrrrm.

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
So the scene with Otis and ruby was a little weird... Out of curiosity did
Otis get raped?
I can help but wonder if the roles were reversed and Ruby was black out drunk it would of played very differently.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Just binged the whole show. Really liked both seasons.

ending of s2 has me mad though, even though I figured it would happen

fuck Isaac for deleting that message. regardless of pairings, its a shitty thing to do

hate that these seasons only come out once a year lol.

also hi Lotus

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I've watches the last episode of Season 2 a couple of days ago and... I really disliked it.
Season 1 was on a different level for me, now it's just becoming a tired stretched sort-of-romantic show that is definitely not for me.

My god that ending was really lame.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I've watches the last episode of Season 2 a couple of days ago and... I really disliked it.
Season 1 was on a different level for me, now it's just becoming a tired stretched sort-of-romantic show that is definitely not for me.

My god that ending was really lame.
Yeah that was terrible. The season had enough high moments to drown out the bad, but that was a really awful note to end on.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I in the minority. Wife and I adored this season and thought it was even better than the first. Had a bit less humor but felt more human and honest to us.

I just finished episode 7 and I am totally with you. This season has been a masterful display of juggling a number of different themes, tones, character developments, along with some deft direction from every director on hand.

I haven't finished the season yet because I've been taking my time savouring each and every episode. It's the first time I've loved a season of a series this much without going full-tilt and binging it. I've been able to appreciate the dramatic nuances of each episode more because each one leaves me with such a strong feeling, especially the episodes in the back half of the season.

This is better because it's willing to tackle some tougher material but still manages to do so without losing the humour and sweetness that was established in the first season. I actually think the first episode is a bit jarring in retrospect because of how over-the-top it is with the wanking humor and that rubs up against the more dramatic undertones of the rest of the season.

What a goddamn home run they've hit with season 2. I can't wait to see how episode 8 brings things to a close (but I'll save it for another night).

I am very impressed with this one.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I just finished both seasons in two days and now there's a gaping hole in my heart. Thanks a lot Netflix. Gimme season 3 asap or I'll sue you for emotional damages.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished both seasons in two days and now there's a gaping hole in my heart. Thanks a lot Netflix. Gimme season 3 asap or I'll sue you for emotional damages.
I loved the show bit hated the ending to season 2. Too much stuff that frankly wouldn't happen, e.g. she would never leave her phone to go to the shop.