• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like Isaac at first, then opened up to him a bit, and now outward dislike him. I can understand where he's coming from though, this is the kind of move you do out of sheer insecurity, and he's ridden with them. It's a dumb as fuck move even for him who knows that Maeve is still in love with Otis, thus he'll never get the love he so desperately crave from her anyway. And she'll truly hate him once she'll know the truth about what happened, which we all know she will eventually. What an incredibly selfish and short-sighted move. It felt cheap how he acted that way (on top of Maeve not taking her phone and not locking it up), and it just feels like a forced artificial plot to keep people invested in the OtisxMaeve tension.

I never liked him myself. I know he had a few moments where he opens up, but he was just too insufferable otherwise.

And yea, I get where he's coming from as well, but like you said, the whole convenience and plot-induced stupidity of it all just overwhelms the whole thing, where it just feels more like they needed to find a quick excuse for Otis and Maeve not being together. It's even more irksome since even before deleting the voicemail, he was no Ola, as in, a romantic rival where you wouldn't really mind with Maeve got together with him instead. So it just feels extra frustrating.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So just basically binged both seasons this week and enjoyed it but man, that ending of S2... I just am so sick of that kind of shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I never liked him myself. I know he had a few moments where he opens up, but he was just too insufferable otherwise.

And yea, I get where he's coming from as well, but like you said, the whole convenience and plot-induced stupidity of it all just overwhelms the whole thing, where it just feels more like they needed to find a quick excuse for Otis and Maeve not being together. It's even more irksome since even before deleting the voicemail, he was no Ola, as in, a romantic rival where you wouldn't really mind with Maeve got together with him instead. So it just feels extra frustrating.

Yeah this season relied on one too many contrivances for me, the final scene (where a teenager doesn't check their notifications and/or bring their phone with them on an errand) chief among them.

(The fact that the principal had no idea what the play was going to be also struck me as nonsense, even with the caveat he's a bit preoccupied with his divorce.)

yet another thing with dodgy

mobile phone based plotlines.

a) No secure unlock on Maeve's phone?
b) "Tell her to check her messages" said no one in modern times.

This was more inconsistent overall as a season (Pythagoras would have loved the triangles), but I thought Aimee's plot was the most effective and was resolved in the best episode of the season for me.

To me the problem with Aimee's storyline is that the season leading up to that seemed to treat her like a complete ditz.
I don't think it did a good job explaining why she falls apart afterwards to the point of hallucinations when she's so spaced the rest of the time.

The closest I guess it gets is her speech in the library that if a 'normal, cute' guy could do something that terrible, how safe is she, but it really didn't land for me. I felt like her character got mishandled, but maybe she was as bad in the previous season and I just didn't notice it.

I was enjoying their dynamic so much! But never in a millions years would they
end up together!
And before that moment I was rooting way too much for
Otis and Maeve, because that's what I really want to happen

Anyway, loved the season, watched in one sitting and I really hope Netflix order the third season soon.

What I didn't liek was
the Adam and Eric stuff. Rahim deserved better! Even though they were pretty much plating the seeds of the fact that maybe they were not meant for each other

Everyone in the Eric triangle seems kind of terrible. Rahim is forthright and genuine, but doesn't seem to treat Eric like he's an adult. Meanwhile Adam obviously has his issues he's got to work through that aren't his fault, but an apology for years of abuse really doesn't feel like that's enough for the ending they get, especially with the family welcoming him with open arms. Eric meanwhile is always acting like a low-grade terrible friend what with the "I'm going to shout your secrets in the halls constantly" schtick.

Last edited:

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
just watched episode 5... man, I loved how the series was going up until this point, now literally every character has a kind of
love triangle
and I hate it so much, it's fine if they wanted to show it in some character, but fucking everyone?? didn't they thought of a better overall plot than this?

Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird. This show has cell phones but the interior decor and fashion scream 80s. Pattern wallpaper, big belts, bright chaotic colors, wood paneling. Is this what Britain is like?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love ncuti both on the show and in real life. I want to be his friend lol

Also regarding the 80s-ness it's intentional per the creator Laurie Nunn

There is an '80s vibe to the show, in the costuming and the music choices. Why did you want to tap into that aesthetic?
Nunn: It was a very conscious decision from myself and the producers and director Ben Taylor who is also an executive producer on the project. We all absolutely love the teen genre, particularly the John Hughes films of the 1980s so we really wanted to make the show have the feeling that it's an homage or that it has this nostalgic backdrop, but that we are talking about very contemporary, modern themes and storylines for the characters. So in a way we were also trying to take this tried and tested tropes of the genre and sort of flip them on their head and show a different perspective on it. I think those two things together and then with the Britishness just make it feel like it's its own thing.

I like it. It feels modern yet foreign and also evokes nostalgia all at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
I must have missed all the scenes where Rahim expressed a human emotion or anything like chemistry with Eric. That whole plot was so strange.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It was a little far fetched for Otis to act like a complete knob the whole season and somehow
stumble into bed with one of the best looking girls in his school.
Otherwise, pretty good season.

You want to hate what Maeve's neighbor did
with the voicemail
but really it just comes down to Otis and Maeve being too chickenshit to sit down and have a real conversation with one another. They are both so terrified of expressing how they really feel, which is funny with how much life advice they dole out.

Rahim clearly wasn't the guy, but he caught it the worst out of everyone. Got treated like a RomCom castoff.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Binged this season last Saturday and absolutely loved it.

Rahim deserved better than that, dawg.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Deleting the message seems really stupid since if Maeve doesn't respond in some way, Otis will just ask if she got it, and he'll either apologise and say it again or she'll realize someone must have deleted it, since his phone should have a record of the call going out.

Oct 28, 2017
Deleting the message seems really stupid since if Maeve doesn't respond in some way, Otis will just ask if she got it, and he'll either apologise and say it again or she'll realize someone must have deleted it, since his phone should have a record of the call going out.

the coincidence of it was so awful. It's weird they take time to push these characters into new directions and then fall back on lazy cliches. This is high school creative writing class levels of shit. The only worse thing could have done is have Adam or Rahim commit suicide after being rejected.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
the coincidence of it was so awful. It's weird they take time to push these characters into new directions and then fall back on lazy cliches. This is high school creative writing class levels of shit. The only worse thing could have done is have Adam or Rahim commit suicide after being rejected.
Apart from anything else, how many teenagers go the shops and don't take their phones with them?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a little far fetched for Otis to act like a complete knob the whole season and somehow
stumble into bed with one of the best looking girls in his school.
Otherwise, pretty good season.

Honestly her explanation of going for nerdy guys when she's sad worked for me because we already knew she's done that before in S1 in the episode where she got blackmailed.

Also she was probably drunk af too

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I don't dislike Rahim per se but his bluntness really is a huge contrast to Eric's optimism and positivity. Rahim flat out telling a Pastor in a church, "I don't believe in Jesus" is pretty socially inept lol. And then there was the conversation about the musicals. Rahim really has no filter, which isn't a personality deficiency for some people but it clearly is for Eric.

Whereas with Adam, a lot of things just go unsaid because he's emotionally repressed (I know someone who's like this, actually, so I could identify). Many of Adam's best moments aren't what he says, necessarily, but what his facial expression is at a given moment. If I can sense it watching the TV, I imagine Eric can feel that tension as the character in the scene.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike Rahim per se but his bluntness really is a huge contrast to Eric's optimism and positivity. Rahim flat out telling a Pastor in a church, "I don't believe in Jesus" is pretty socially inept lol.

He said it in a black church no less, the boy is crazy

Oct 28, 2017
Rahim

why does Rahim like Eric beyond physicalattraction? At least Adam likes musicals. But Adam is Eric's first which means they're living on borrowed time anyway. What Rahim said about Adam being able to hold Eric's hand but Eric never being able to feel him may very well be true.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rahim

why does Rahim like Eric beyond physicalattraction? At least Adam likes musicals. But Adam is Eric's first which means they're living on borrowed time anyway. What Rahim said about Adam being able to hold Eric's hand but Eric never being able to feel him may very well be true.

One thing I'll say is that if the idea is that the right boy for Eric is someone that makes him "sparkle", then Adam isn't much better than Rahim lol

But that could easily change next season as Adam continues to open up. But yea, could just as easily be a relationship that inevitably ends poorly.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up on this season... loved it all just as much as the first... except that ending. What were they thinking?

I can somewhat buy that Maeve wouldn't look at her phone/check her messages with all that was going on, but the triple whammy of barely physically missing each other, not taking her phone with her, and having no lock on it is just some of the most contrived writing I've ever seen. We all know it. We all know how this will end -- it will be discovered the message was deleted by Otis bringing up the message and her not knowing about it, Isaac will get shit rightfully so, Maeve will turn away from him, need time to herself/she won't trust any men for a while, then eventually go back to Otis. We've seen this shit a million times before, and frankly the show is better than this cliche.

Like, I'm really disappointed they went to this well. It's contrived, creatively bankrupt, and we all know the outcome already.

Obviously they want to drag out the Maeve/Otis relationship longer, but there were a million better ways to do it than this.

I suspect, given the idiotic circumstances, Otis may well pair with Ruby (as they kind of hinted at) for a while.

Anyway, loved all the other stories. Even Eric/Adam (since for sure they are going to explore toxic relationships through that). Definitely don't agree there are "Too many characters." Everyone seemed to get the appropriate amount of time and I'm glad the show has expanded its scope a bit beyond just focusing on Otis and Maeve. Getting focus on people like Jackson or Ola or Aimee all made sense and led to interesting stories.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up on this season... loved it all just as much as the first... except that ending. What were they thinking?

I can somewhat buy that Maeve wouldn't look at her phone/check her messages with all that was going on, but the triple whammy of barely physically missing each other, not taking her phone with her, and having no lock on it is just some of the most contrived writing I've ever seen. We all know it. We all know how this will end -- it will be discovered the message was deleted by Otis bringing up the message and her not knowing about it, Isaac will get shit rightfully so, Maeve will turn away from him, need time to herself/she won't trust any men for a while, then eventually go back to Otis. We've seen this shit a million times before, and frankly the show is better than this cliche.

Like, I'm really disappointed they went to this well. It's contrived, creatively bankrupt, and we all know the outcome already.

Obviously they want to drag out the Maeve/Otis relationship longer, but there were a million better ways to do it than this.

I suspect, given the idiotic circumstances, Otis may well pair with Ruby (as they kind of hinted at) for a while.

Anyway, loved all the other stories. Even Eric/Adam (since for sure they are going to explore toxic relationships through that). Definitely don't agree there are "Too many characters." Everyone seemed to get the appropriate amount of time and I'm glad the show has expanded its scope a bit beyond just focusing on Otis and Maeve. Getting focus on people like Jackson or Ola or Aimee all made sense and led to interesting stories.

I fully agree with this.

How are the LGBTQ relationships portrayed here? I feel that it feels pretty natural, but as a straight guy, what do I know. :lol

Oct 25, 2017

The physical comedy of constantly having people do nonsensical stuff in that trailer park got to me. No one waits for someone to actually leave the park before they break into their trailer, and the mom doesn't even circle the block before heading back to make her actions not look suspicious.
Yeah, I totally disagree with the too many characters criticism. The ensemble is what makes the show for me.

For an ensemble show I think they did an admirable job of making everyone feel like they were part of the same milieu. So many shows with big casts feel like they end up fracturing into "this is X person's episode now" stuff.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I found Rahim to be rather creepy but the way everyone cheers as he's effectively dumped, and the fact Eric's family don't bat an eyelid at any of it was weirdly harsh lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I want Otis to hangout with Ruby more. Did she have an episode in s1? Maybe I'm just misremembering but she seems to have the least amount of screen time despite being the queen bee of the mean girls.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Finished this last night. Second season seemed fine other than Isaac at the end. Like the writers don't know how to write Otis and Maeve as a couple or something.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

What will actually happen is
Otis will assume Maeve listened but doesn't forgive him so he will keep his distance and not say anything and Maeve will also keep away from Otis while Isaac manipulates shit and pretends to be a helpless cripple to Otis and make him feel bad and shit.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking hate that kind of storyline. It's so unbelievable and annoying. I thought it would be beneath a show like this but I guess not. Hate it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What will actually happen is
Otis will assume Maeve listened but doesn't forgive him so he will keep his distance and not say anything and Maeve will also keep away from Otis while Isaac manipulates shit and pretends to be a helpless cripple to Otis and make him feel bad and shit.

Yup...

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
finished last night and was another enjoyable season. i think eps 6/7 were the best

hopefully they finally "fixed" adam because he still sucks this season but the last ep gave some hope for a turnaround maybe

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
If anything I hope the writers take note about how pissed people are at that contrived ending, and won't drag that shit for a wholeass season before resolving this in the last 5 minutes of the very last episode of season 3, ugh.

Also, I like Rahim. He might be socially unaware and awkward, and I find that very cute to be honest? He literally has never harmed anybody and just wanted to find ways to connect with Eric. He was always there to provide insights and knowledge when needed, helping others willfully, and never creating problems or belittling anybody ever. Rahim is a good one, really.
It just so happens that sometimes even though you're a good one, well the heart wants what the heart wants, is all.

Oct 25, 2017
If anything I hope the writers take note about how pissed people are at that contrived ending, and won't drag that shit for a wholeass season before resolving this in the last 5 minutes of the very last episode of season 3, ugh.

Also, I like Rahim. He might be socially unaware and awkward, and I find that very cute to be honest? He literally has never harmed anybody and just wanted to find ways to connect with Eric, even though it failed. He was always there to provide insights and knowledge when needed, helping others willfully, and never creating problems or belittling anybody ever. Rahim is a good one, really.
It just so happens that sometimes even though you're a good one, well the heart wants what the heart wants, is all.
I doubt they'll drag it out that long considering they wrapped up a bunch of the main threads from the last season in the span of two episodes. If anything, some parts of the show move almost too fast
(Ola going from breaking up to deciding she's pansexual to moving on Lily to Lily reciprocating was crazy fast. Felt like I had missed episodes.)

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
I actually find it kinda hilarious that this show just copied/pasted the whole
'Delete phone message that professed love' plotline from The Good Wife.

Last edited:

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the worst part about this is that it screams either needing to be resolved quickly or also through another too contrived development. Like he's too scared to ask. Or she and Isaac are immediately together and he sees and is too scared etc. It's a really smart show and this part was a bit of a disappointment.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I actually find it kinda hilarious that this show just copied/pasted the whole
'Delete phone message that professed love' plotline from The Good Wife.
I haven't watched that show but this exact plotline is used in many, many shows. That's the problem. It's not original or unique in any way. It's incredibly contrived and sours me on the whole season.

Oct 28, 2017
Aimee is my favorite and she got the short end of the stick this season. I
hope they dont leave her story where they did. We need to see this through to its logical end. Shes probably got the purest heart out of all of them and she got the sexual assault plot. :(

She reminds me a lot of Amanda Bynes too for some reason.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aimee is my favorite and she got the short end of the stick this season. I
hope they dont leave her story where they did. We need to see this through to its logical end. Shes probably got the purest heart out of all of them and she got the sexual assault plot. :(

She reminds me a lot of Amanda Bynes too for some reason.

She had an entire arc, it wasn't a pleasant one, but I don't see how that's getting the short end of the stick if we're comparing her to other characters