• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Sure the Hobbit is a children's book, and LotR is family friendly. But the Silmarillion isn't family friendly. Plus we've had this book released recently:

51rqx-zyHmL._SX321_BO1204203200_.jpg

that is 100% not family friendly at all.
Yep, I've read the Hobbit, LOTR, That and Beren and Luthien and have Fall of Gandolin in my to read pile. What was striking to me about Children of Hurin was how dark/grim it was compared to LOTR.

But when I think of Middle Earth, I still think of it as being more family friendly, PG-13 at the most.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont want lord of the rings to be gritty and sexy with tons of swearing. That does not make
Sense for this brand. It feels like all amazon wants is their game of thrones. And they thought "well if that show has titties and is successful i
Guess fucking lord of the rings should to" come on. Im not giving this show a minute of my time if it has this shit. Ill stick to the movies and books.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I'm not anti sex, but sex scenes that are clearly meant to titillate just turn me off of a show or movie. They're usually not actually arousing, and just feel awkward and in the way.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna detailed summary

the dragon in the background is leering...
Long story short, Turin Turambar's sister is lost to him early in his life, she loses her memory due to the father of dragons, Glaurung, putting a spell on her. Later, Nienor escapes an ambush by Orcs and runs so fast that her clothes come off and she ends up naked. Turin finds her in this state, brings her back to the place he's living in after his own ordeals, including killing his best friend, and they fall in love, have sex. Later he kills Glaurung, but he reveals the secret to him. He kills himself thinking Niniel (his name for her) dead. She finds him dead and kills herself, pregnant with his child.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Long story short, Turin Turambar's sister is lost to him early in his life, she loses her memory due to the father of dragons, Glaurung, putting a spell on her. Later, Nienor escapes an ambush by Orcs and runs so fast that her clothes come off and she ends up naked. Turin finds her in this state, brings her back to the place he's living in after his own ordeals, including killing his best friend, and they fall in love, have sex. Later he kills Glaurung, but he reveals the secret to him. He kills himself thinking Niniel (his name for her) dead. She finds him dead and kills herself.

WoOowww

Thanks for the write up!

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Fun fact: Tolkien's elves celebrate their day of begetting, not their birthday, though they'd be the same anyway since elf pregnancies last for a year.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
No you fools! Don't you know that sex and nudity are gross, unnatural acts that only filthy degenerates partake in?!

I'm burning every Tolkien book I own as I type this now that it's been tainted by such crass and vulgar wickedness. I can already picture every obscene gratuitous sex scene they're adding where Gollum just goes to town on everything and everyone and I'll be in my bunk if anyone needs me.

Oct 26, 2017
I wish shows didn't have to rely on bombarding its audience with excessive nudity and/or violence to keep the audiences' attention. I'm obviously not against it being there in general, just not when it's in lieu of good writing.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah I'm sure it'll be tasteful and not at all just a blatant excuse to gets its younger actresses naked on screen for wank-bait.

On paper I'm all for nudity in a show but I've yet to see even one that isn't just almost entirely gratuitous with it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh, don't Game of Thrones it. LotR doesn't need to be sexed up.

Hunky dudes would be cool, but let's not get crazy.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Do people in the lord of the rings universe not have sex?

Jeez the overreaction here

I'm all for it!!!

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
God, this would be awful if they do this. I sure hope Tolkien estate puts the kabosh on this nonsense.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Would greatly desire it be kept to the absolute minimum. I already find sex scenes wastes of time 99% of the time unless their integral to the theme/core of the work.

May 26, 2018
I mean, as long as it's rare, classy and tasteful (and has a real point) I can kinda see it working... I know everyone's using GoT as reference, but remember that game of thrones was famous for not giving a fuck and making love scenes trashy as all hell

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it ain't Sam and Frodo finally making love, then what is even the point?

This is such a tired take on their friendship, and i see it everywheeeeere. It's one of the few cases of a huge prominent work having a super wholesome and intimate friendship between male characters. But no, can't have that, they're totally secretly gay. Men caring strongly for each-other and showing it is so fucking gay.

e21f25f1554b55e419f6a299e6a97717.gif

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a tired take on their friendship, and i see it everywheeeeere. It's one of the few cases of a huge prominent work having a super wholesome and intimate friendship between male characters. But no, can't have that, they're totally secretly gay. Men caring strongly for each-other and showing it is so fucking gay.

I didn't say they were secretly gay. I was going to respond with a long post about how big of an impact Sam and Frodo's friendship made on my own views of friendship and even romance growing up as a demi person, but I figured instead of that, I'd just share this really awesome thread of Sam and Frodo fanart and writing by a popular comic artist and leave it at saying it is fine for people to have different interpretations of character relationships when it doesn't invalidate their friendship and deep bond with each other at the end of the day.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, cause when I think Lord of the Rings, the first thing that comes to mind is sex and nudity.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
one ring to rule them all,
one ring to find them,
one ring to bring them all,
and in the darkness fuck every hole

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a bummer because my cousin's grade-school-aged children love the LotR movies, and I don't know if they'd be comfortable letting them watch GoT levels of sex and nudity. It really made me realise that LotR and especially The Hobbit were basically children's films. I definitely enjoyed them as an adult, but I was a teen when they debuted in theatres. I just think it'd be cool to have a premium show that was family friendly. I think of The Mandalorian, but am hard pressed to think of another show. Maybe Stranger Things, even though it's a little intense, it's not super violent. Probably not as accessible as LotR for kids.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017