• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

Very interesting but depressing video , fuck all these scammers who continue to take advantage of the gullible and those who experience intense mental trauma. It makes me sad how people can still believe in this bullshit.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It makes me laugh every time thinking about how Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle were friends and Arthur was big into supernatural shit and Houdini was a massive skeptic

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching this. SEW's content is always top tier but this one really raised the bar.
I've always been angry about these practices he does a fantastic job of highlighting just how dangerous and harmful they are.

Oct 26, 2017
I misread the title as "Physics", wondered how people were scamming others with "Fake Physics" (Flat earth nonsense maybe?), skipped ahead about 5 mins into the video, was very confused and then realised my mistake. Ultimately I am left feeling diappointed that I didn't get to see people fake the laws of physics.

Oct 26, 2017
If you've watched this up to the part with Sylvia Browne and are angry, allow me to make you fucking furious. That story of her telling the mother her daughter was dead and she died before she could see her again? The daughter was actually watching that on TV at her captors house.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Reminds me of the Penn&Teller episode about Mediums and Penn getting the angriest we've ever seen him.

These people... they eat the misery and naiveness of people at their most vulnerable. Truly despicable.

James Randi is a hero.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Exposed as frauds yet these ghouls still making assloads of cash. Unbelievable.

At least Randi embarrassed them on TV.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This looks right up my alley and am going to watch it. I do think it's funny that 'fake psychic' is used so often as a description because it implies there are also 'real psychics.'

Does this involve the video where a reporter takes a psychic to a restaurant to ask about a missing kid and the psychic goes on and on about where they are and then the kids walks in (having been in on it and just been hanging out in the parking lot)? That's my favorite.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
A couple of relatives recently visited a "psychic" to speak to my dead parents...I was so disappointed in them and disgusted with the "psychic" but they were totally convinced

"She said things that she couldn't have possibly known" smh

By the way, my mother was a devout Christian and was well aware of what the Bible says about these con artists

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always been grossed out how my popular local radio station has this psychic lady do an event every year around Christmas where she'll talk to your dead loved ones.

I mean I guess people get hope from that but it always made me sick since I doubt the radio station believes it. Just a big advertisement.

Nov 1, 2017
I misread the title as "Physics", wondered how people were scamming others with "Fake Physics" (Flat earth nonsense maybe?), skipped ahead about 5 mins into the video, was very confused and then realised my mistake. Ultimately I am left feeling diappointed that I didn't get to see people fake the laws of physics.

Same here...My mind immediately went to the troll physics comics from several years back.

LfzsKhd.png

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised he didn't pull up Cleo from the 90s. I remember those ads like crazy.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stopped listening after he guessed the number I was thinking so I could send him the deed to my house.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
It should but it doesn't surprise me so many still believe in this shit when so many still believe in other super natural horse shit. Can't watch the video right now but I imagine it's a lot of what I've seen before.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea Psychics were still such a huge thing, I thought they were at least relegated to cheap phone in shows, I don't see them much in the UK at least.

It seems like we really are forever doomed to keep repeating and doing the same things over and over again.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like I saw something on the news recently about people using a psychic for clues about missing kids and, like... shouldn't there be one case of it having worked before people spend money on it?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I saw something on the news recently about people using a psychic for clues about missing kids and, like... shouldn't there be one case of it having worked before people spend money on it?

Reason is basically out of the windows at some point when you live such situation. All of these scams aren't that much different from the rest. Parents are desperate and at some point they are ready to believe anything to find peace. You find the same thing with the desperately ill which fall victims to naturopaths and charlatans. When you are fed up of being in pain and sick you are ready to believe anything.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the video. It's incredible these people are allowed to do their malignant shit for so long.
No punishment is bad enough for people who do this. To think of all those evangelical cancerous TV priests and "mediums" who still do this.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Ditto. I thought it was kind of an intense reaction but yeah scamming people who are grieving the loss of loved ones is absolutely terrible.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should but it doesn't surprise me so many still believe in this shit when so many still believe in other super natural horse shit. Can't watch the video right now but I imagine it's a lot of what I've seen before.

As a father, I understand why a parent would be so desperate for answers should their child go missing, they'd be willing to believe anyone or anything. The problem isn't that people believe there are people with real psychic abilities; humans have an innate need for a force greater than themselves who can help them process their lives. As the video points out, though, the problem is the snake oil salesmen peddling their griff. I cannot imagine how depraved you would have to be to look a grieving parent in their eyes and tell them a lie about their lost child. It's psychopathic behavior that actively makes the world worse.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As a father, I understand why a parent would be so desperate for answers should their child go missing, they'd be willing to believe anyone or anything. The problem isn't that people believe there are people with real psychic abilities; humans have an innate need for a force greater than themselves who can help them process their lives. As the video points out, the problem is the snake oil salesmen peddling their griff. I cannot imagine how depraved you would have to be to look a grieving parent in their eyes and tell them a lie about their lost child. It's psychopathic behavior that actively makes the world worse.

Very salient point raised here.
I can't put into words what I would need to lose about myself to even think of considering doing something like that.
And even that hilariously bad idiot who couldn't tell up from down had people believing her, it's maddening.
It doesn't even bring any kind of relief to the afflicted people, it's really horrible.

I want fake martial arts psychics.
Maybe if they declassified all that we may found that in the CIA archives!
I wish I was joking.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this earlier. Chilling stuff. I fucking remember those miracle water commercials.