• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018
The "public" roadmap hasnt been updated for over a year. The game was supposed to be feature complete according to Chris Roberts end of 2019.
News Sites like Eurogamer announced the delay from Q2 to Q3 last year: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...adron-42-beta-delayed-three-months-to-q3-2020

An update video for Squadron 42 was announced end of april as one of "big" things to come in May 2020.
Its july now and the video is still nowhere to be seen, they cited "editorial" issues as the reason for the delay.

CIG keeps deleting threads in their own internal forum when you even mention Squadron 42 or ask what the status of the game is.
They crossed 300 million funding weeks ago and for the first time ever, they didnt even acknowledge that milestone, no "letter from the chairman" or even a social media post.

So we are now in Q3 of 2020 and no mention of a release date or delay of Squadron 42 at all. Chris Roberts and his wife Sandi disappeared from the public image completely. He was in only one video this year and that was recorded last year. His wife is the VP of Marketing and hasnt been seen in 18 months nor did she communicate the status of the game (she used to be in the weekly videos).

asljom73b2851.png

As a long time backer im absolutely disgusted by CIG and their lack of communication.

edit:

• Erin Roberts was recently replaced by Brian Chambers as head of development. It's extremely unusual to replace a project lead with only months to go if everything is on track.​
  • CIG is still making changes to the renderer, HUD, UI, AI and flight model. Those are all big things to add in at the last minute.​

Last edited:

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Before the pandemic, I was expecting late 2020 as a good case, early 2021 being more likely. Now I expect Fall 2021 easily.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My reply to this thread will be posted in full, before the end of the day

Era users, please fund the completion of this post by sending me money and I'll make sure the post is finished before the end of today

Edit: This post has been delayed. Do not ask me about this post

I will however, accept more money

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Era users, please fund the completion of this post by sending me money and I'll make sure the post is finished before the end of today

DaringAccurateBoar-size_restricted.gif

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The delay is to add highly detailed toilets for a scrubbing minigame so owners of the base game can be janitors on the fancy 4k ships.

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, CIG really needs to come out and talk about this. The Persistent Universe part (MMO) is steadily progressing and getting new stuff and becoming a nice thing, but the campaign part is nowhere to be seen...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Chris Robert's wife: [Yelling up the stairs] Chris, dinner is ready
Chris Roberts: I'll be down in a sec, I'm just finishing something
Chris Robert's wife: How long will you be? It's on the table
Chris Roberts: [Deep in thought] I'll be down in about 10mins
Chris Robert's wife:
6e32c8c95efdf3df641f1c6eb58e1c01.gif

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Because of the pandemic I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud Imperium is in trouble.

Before last year's investment announcement I projected they needed to release the game by the end of 2020 before running out of their crowdfunded GTA levels of money. That investment deal may have changed due to the pandemic and now Cloud Imperium is distracted by impending cashflow issues.

Backers will get their game but the "finished" product will be subpar if it does release even as late as mid 2021.

Oct 26, 2017
Because of the pandemic I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud Imperium is in trouble.

Before last year's investment announcement I projected they needed to release the game by the end of 2020 before running out of their crowdfunded GTA levels of money. That investment deal may have changed due to the pandemic and now Cloud Imperium is distracted by impending cashflow issues.

Backers will get their game but the "finished" product will be subpar if it does release even as late as mid 2021.
They've been reporting stupid amounts of crowdfunding money recently, $15 Million in May and $7 million in June, so it looks like they shouldn't be in any immediate trouble.

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
  • Erin Roberts was recently replaced by Brian Chambers as head of development. It's extremely unusual to replace a project lead with only months to go if everything is on track.​
  • CIG is still making changes to the renderer, HUD, UI, AI and flight model. Those are all big things to add in at the last minute.​

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Nothing left to do but hope at this point. Well, and to assume it's not coming anytime soon. Because whaling is still a great way to pay bills.

Chris Robert's wife:
you win internet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They've been reporting stupid amounts of crowdfunding money recently, $15 Million in May and $7 million in June, so it looks like they shouldn't be in any immediate trouble.

But with their staff size and rent they easily are blowing more than 5 million a month. Fundraising like that helps drag things out from my initial burn project of late 2020 to mid 2021 but they need the level cash only angel investors or banks can provide.

Crowdfunders won't be sufficient in this last stretch. It's clear based on their beta that any other competent studio would need 2 years to polish what they built so far. But with CiG as how they are currently managed they probably need another 3 years.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Robert's wife:

yes

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Q3 typically means "sometime in Q3", which gives them a deadline of Oct 1.

Regardless, I'm not overly optimistic about them hitting that, and some updates are sorely needed.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Man, the development for this game has been a roller coaster. Even a non-gaming channel (The Infographics Show) made a video about this.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

Chris Robert's wife:

001.jpg

Nov 3, 2017
You just have to look at the Squadron 42 subreddit to see how fucked up the situation is. One year ago, someone was super happy about an updated roadmap. Someone asked if 5 years development time is really that bad.

Two years ago people talked about how it's good that Roberts no longer has a fixed deadline for Squadron 42, because "Putting dates on games is something an amateurish publisher would do. " People guessing around when release will be, saying "I am guessing around Holiday Season of 2018."

And now? Crickets.

I once visited an abandoned theme park. This is how this feels. Empty, spooky, slightly depressing.

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
At least the MMO part is steadily progressing, (slowly), and nicely if I say so (with the technical problems an engine with missing pieces has, ofc)

Persistent Universe development is quite transparent (with usual delays of content, but every 3 months we get the new stuff that's ready to ship), but they really really really need to address SQ42.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
At least the MMO part is steadily progressing, (slowly), and nicely if I say so (with the technical problems an engine with missing pieces has, ofc)

Persistent Universe development is quite transparent (with usual delays of content, but every 3 months we get the new stuff that's ready to ship), but they really really really need to address SQ42.
Is the moment-to-moment gameplay actually fun, though?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is the one thing I actually still care about, to a degree, and yet it seems even more elusive, and illusive, than the Star Citizen half of the project.

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Is the moment-to-moment gameplay actually fun, though?
What do you mean, whether it's fun to go in and actually play and do stuff?

I've been having a lot of fun in the game doing trade-runs, mining here and there and exploration mostly (piracy or bounty-hunting are not really my thing, but there's content for those folks). It's not really a "i'll play 15 minutes and have some fun". Just like Elite, you need to play at least a 1-2h session if you wanna do some proper stuff)

But being fair, some aspects are still janky, there's player desync issues and crashes as the server degrades. They still have quite the work to do at the technical level. Networking needs finishing and the transition to Vulkan expected for 2020Q4 (but' that's gonna be 2021Q2 most probably lol gotta be realistic here).

I love the game, but gotta be critical when it's needed. They really could use some proper criticism from their hardcore fans and not just the internet.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019

Genuine lol here.