• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
2021 is gonna be the year of the backlog for me. Which i'm honestly not too upset about, i still have so much to play it's not even funny. It does really feel like this gen started with a whimper instead of a bang though.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
LMAO at everyone thinking all Playstation first party will be delayed. God Of War Ragnarok, I mean it's obvious, a 2021 target release never made sense. But still, I remain optimistic for Horizon FW.

Can't see Horizon slipping, at least not for PS5. They might delay the PS4 version though if it's slowing down things.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Horizon 2
God of War R
Battlefield 6
Breath of the Wild 2

As well as maybe some unknown projects that were supposed to come out this year too

2021 is gonna be the year of the backlog for me. Which i'm honestly not too upset about, i still have so much to play it's not even funny. It does really feel like this gen started with a whimper instead of a bang though.
Yes, exactly. I've got a pretty sizeable backlog now that will easily carry me throughout the year. Throw in a couple of almost guaranteed releases (Mario 3d world, Persona 5 Strikers and Nier replicant) and anything else will just be gravy.

NotSoren

Jul 15, 2020
I don't get why people think Horizon 2 is likely to be a 2022 title. The game has been in development for quite a long time. Especially compared to the other games mentioned here. I feel like Horizon 2 and Rachet and Clank are likely to come this year. We shall see what happens I guess.

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
God of War hitting 2021 was a laugh riot even when it was announced.

I'm confused, why was 2021 at the time of announcement a laugh riot? Have we heard about any issues with the game's development? Since we haven't seen any footage, I'm not sure how we can judge that 2021 is never going to happen. And the lack of footage does not inherently mean the game is behind.

Not trying to be facetious or anything I'm legitimately asking if there has been any news on the development to imply it will miss 2021.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
No surprise i was already expecting most of Sony's exclusive to get pushed back. They always make it seem vague. People were laughing at Microsoft but like for what. All Sony has is Demon souls at launch which doesnt seem to be in the top 3 selling games of the PS5.

Halo's delay will have a smaller impact now that both console will probably have a slow year.

For Nintendo, I do think a lot of games were already pushed to 2021 from 2020. So I'm guessing a fair amount should still make it this year. I really expect it to be its biggest year for software and to roll on the competition. They wouldn't put Mario 3D world + BF in February if they were in trouble for the rest. Even if its celebrating Mario, they would delay it later in the year since they already have MH in March.

So imo, no way Nintendo won't have a stellar lineup.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You're just very wrong lol. For smaller, sub-50 people studios maybe. But when you get into the team sizes of dozens, hundreds, or more, you'll never be able to fully make up the efficiency and convenience of turning around to talk to someone to solve a problem, or hop into a room for a quick meeting.

All that is not even accounting for the tech issues that you mentioned. Mo cap is an issue. Audio designers don't just work on a desktop PC, they have multiple pieces of equipment, monitors, speakers, etc that likely couldn't just make the trip to their living room setup. Many people likely have to remote into their workstation, which will be less effective for some than others, and itself introduce random tech quirks and issues.

And then, all that is not accounting for the fact that all these people are working from home during a pandemic. There's increased mental and emotional strain that will effect your output. Your kids may be home from school, which alone would be a massive hindrance on productivity. Your mom may have COVID, your friend may have COVID, you yourself might just have increased anxiety due to COVID. That all matters.

So no, everything you said is wrong. There are literally dozens of factors to take into account right now, and they all connect and effect everything else.
As someone who works in the software industry from home I vehemently disagree with WFH being less productive but your points about the pandemic distractions are valid.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE8 was fairly late in dev based on leaked data. But it won't surprise me at all seeing a delay to Q3/Q4 2021, specially given the rumored issues with the PS5 version.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think there should be a decent amount of delays as well just from the effects of 2020. I expect games targeting Q1 should be mostly fine and I still think at least Deathloop, Ratchet & Clank, and Halo should be releasing this year. Anything else is fair...uh...game.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up with rumours or the leaks, but that game was supposedly going to launch early 2021, right? If so, I doubt they're gonna delay it until next year.

Yeah. it was supposed to release in jan or feb but they changed some stuff and wanted to polish it up a lot more. The leak (hacking) showed it's planned for april/may.

So i personally can't see it not releasing in 2021.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
No surprise i was already expecting most of Sony's exclusive to get pushed back. They always make it seem vague. People were laughing at Microsoft but like for what. All Sony has is Demon souls at launch which doesnt seem to be in the top 3 selling games of the PS5.
Was Jason in any point of his tweet specifying "Sony" or saying those delays will be 2021>>>2022?
I get that Sony is probably the biggest publisher with several 2021 release target but there is a lot of jumping to conclusions happening on this thread

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm confused, why was 2021 at the time of announcement a laugh riot? Have we heard about any issues with the game's development? Since we haven't seen any footage, I'm not sure how we can judge that 2021 is never going to happen. And the lack of footage does not inherently mean the game is behind.

Not trying to be facetious or anything I'm legitimately asking if there has been any news on the development to imply it will miss 2021.

The bolded portion is why I had a laugh. We haven't seen any footage and the game is coming out this year? Seems highly unlikely to me. Had they had a showcase like Ratchet & Clank, everyone would have found it much more believable. We saw a logo. That doesn't screen "2021."

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like 2021 is going to be light on titles due to the lagging effects of covid on games development. That's ok, there's a handful of titles i'm looking forward to.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully understand, my backlog is big as it is (Valhalla alone is gonna keep me busy for ages)

Take as long as they need, there's no rush and I'm personally very grateful for what they're doing. We need distractions and entertainment more than ever.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I saw a couple screens of posts this thread, and I thought the news was something like SIE/Jim Ryan officially telling people to expect mass delays into 2022 based on what I was reading, then I come check out the actual thread and it's about a Schreier tweet that doesn't mention Sony or that the delays will all push games into next year. Kinda funny tbh.

Realistically, there'll be delays. For everyone. But if you seriously think stuff like Ratchet (among others) is getting pushed far enough that it doesn't make 2021 that's just hilarious to me.

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
At this point I would be ok with a few next gen patches of old games.
My backlog is big.

I still hope GT7 and Riders Republic are coming this year though...

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Please, not BOTW 2 or SMTV (and the localization of the next Trails game, if it was ever planned for 2021). I know they don't have an official release date, yet I fully expected them for 2021.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Why would anyone guess God of War or Horizon when Sony successfully launched a new hardware during a pandemic (with more units than they had for PS4) along with 3-4 major AAA in 2020 (TLOU Part II, Ghost, Miles, Demon's Souls + other games like Sackboy) ?

Especially when TLOU (2nd delay) and Ghost delay were due to the disruption of the supply chain (and not game dev related)

God of War Ragnarok will have 3 years+ and Horizon 4 years+ of development, I'm confident, they will both release in 2021

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone guess God of War or Horizon when Sony successfully launched a new hardware during a pandemic (with more units than they had for PS4) along with 3-4 major AAA in 2020 (TLOU Part II, Ghost, Miles, Demon's Souls + other games like Sackboy) ?

Especially when TLOU (2nd delay) and Ghost delay were due to the disruption of the supply chain (and not game dev related)

God of War Ragnarok will have 3 years+ and Horizon 4 years+ of development, I'm confident, they will both release in 2021
Agreed

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
damn. as much as i'm scrambling to get a PS5, I have a feeling 2021 is going to be a very PC gaming year.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see BOTW2 being delayed past the Zelda anniversary year tbh. November or December, sure.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
This shouldn't be a surprise, but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff coming this year that was originally meant to come out in 2020.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

I think Horizon will hit 2021 since they dated that one so recently, but their reluctance to mention God of War makes me think that one could slip.

And this:

I think you answer your own question... it will be dev related this time.

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
The bolded portion is why I had a laugh. We haven't seen any footage and the game is coming out this year? Seems highly unlikely to me. Had they had a showcase like Ratchet & Clank, everyone would have found it much more believable. We saw a logo. That doesn't screen "2021."

I don't know, I don't find the lack of footage to be a terribly compelling argument since 2021 just started. Plenty of time to show the game off and still make a 2021 date. I'm not saying it won't get delayed, but that we currently lack compelling evidence to support that it will be delayed, IMO.

I would say the same for many games at this point where we have little to no info to suggest they will be delayed beyond obvious Covid work adjustments impacting development.

Jan 11, 2018
I saw a couple screens of posts this thread, and I thought the news was something like SIE/Jim Ryan officially telling people to expect mass delays into 2022 based on what I was reading, then I come check out the actual thread and it's about a Schreier tweet that doesn't mention Sony or that the delays will all push games into next year. Kinda funny tbh.

Realistically, there'll be delays. For everyone. But if you seriously think stuff like Ratchet (among others) is getting pushed far enough that it doesn't make 2021 that's just hilarious to me.

Yeah, he doesn't say anything about getting pushed out of 2021, but some will naturally just like any other year.