• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I mean, all of them. Game development effectively lost 6-12 months, depending on how effectively a studio was able to transition to working from home and rebuild momentum. Most studios still aren't back in office, so progress is still slower than it should be. Literally every game in development is effectively delayed up to a year or more, so whatever releases this year is just based on timing of how close it was to being finished.
Loss of momentum up front was understandable but studios should be accustomed to working from home at this point. The idea that somehow working from home is less efficient than working in an office needs to die. Sure there are still some things such as mocap that are challenging during the pandemic but the nuts and bolts of game dev can be done from home just as efficiently as they could from an office.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Reposting what I wrote in the other thread -

I'm hoping sony and bethesda stick to their releases this year (GOW probably not happening, but yeah), my backlog isn't big enough for a barren year at home.
I'll be all cleared out by the end of february and thats with hitman 3 and P5S.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
*Sony delays all of their 2021 games*

Era: Sony is doomed!

*All PS5s shipped in 2021 sellout within seconds, all year long*

Era: They can't keep getting away with this!!!!

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this inside imformation or is this just him making a guess we could all make based on the still ongoing global pandemic?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i fully expect these game to slip into 22:

- gran turismo 7
- horizon 2
- god of war ragnarok
- resident evil village
- ghostwire tokio
- kena
- halo infinite single player/campaign
- oddworld soulstorm

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
I know BOTW 2 was never officially confirmed for 2021 but I think even if that was the internal pre-pandemic goal it will get pushed back to 2022 or later.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
God of War was an entirely disingenuous 2021 announcement from the get-go, that will shift.

As much as it pains me to say it I think Battlefield will move. DICE and EA will be well aware that this release has to land, and it cannot launch with the same technical issues that have plagued previous entries. With Halo moving into that slot and an inevitable Modern Call of Duty game coming it could actually be a wise move.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I kind of doubt it. We know at this point it got delayed internally already, and it seems as if they already have most of the release plans in place. Anything is possible, but considering how much has leaked (aka all of it), I think the April date is still pretty realistic
I mean I reallllllyyyy hope not. It's my most anticipated game of the year. Just the pretty much radio silence on it right now, and with all of that leaking months ahead of what would of been a possible release date, it almost makes me wonder if they are doing an overhaul on it due to the nature of the leaks 🤷‍♂️. Fingers crossed though.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Not that it has a date, but I'm not so optismistic that I can see FF XVI as a late 2021 game.

What a shame that the one mainline FF we could have only waited a year for since its announcement (instead of the customary 3-5) had to be developed during a pandemic lmao.

Also, even if there was no Covid, no way that I would have bet on GoW actually sticking to 2021.
Worried about RE VIII.
I haven't kept up with rumours or the leaks, but that game was supposedly going to launch early 2021, right? If so, I doubt they're gonna delay it until next year.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Loss of momentum up front was understandable but studios should be accustomed to working from home at this point. The idea that somehow working from home is less efficient than working in an office needs to die. Sure there are still some things such as mocap that are challenging during the pandemic but the nuts and bolts of game dev can be done from home just as efficiently as they could from an office.
You're just very wrong lol. For smaller, sub-50 people studios maybe. But when you get into the team sizes of dozens, hundreds, or more, you'll never be able to fully make up the efficiency and convenience of turning around to talk to someone to solve a problem, or hop into a room for a quick meeting.

All that is not even accounting for the tech issues that you mentioned. Mo cap is an issue. Audio designers don't just work on a desktop PC, they have multiple pieces of equipment, monitors, speakers, etc that likely couldn't just make the trip to their living room setup. Many people likely have to remote into their workstation, which will be less effective for some than others, and itself introduce random tech quirks and issues.

And then, all that is not accounting for the fact that all these people are working from home during a pandemic. There's increased mental and emotional strain that will effect your output. Your kids may be home from school, which alone would be a massive hindrance on productivity. Your mom may have COVID, your friend may have COVID, you yourself might just have increased anxiety due to COVID. That all matters.

So no, everything you said is wrong. There are literally dozens of factors to take into account right now, and they all connect and effect everything else.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm OK with basically every announced game to slip into 22, except for XVI. I really really want that in my hands asap.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I haven't kept up with rumours or the leaks, but that game was supposedly going to launch early 2021, right? If so, I doubt they're gonna delay it until next year.

Yeah, they were targeting a Jan date at one point, I believe, but it got pushed back and they are targeting April instead based on the most recent mega leak stuff. They seemed to already have drawn up all the release material for April. Of course, that could all have changed with everything going on.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was an absolute shot in the dark to hope for starfield this year.
I would rather some of these pubs and devs rip the band-aid off early and just give us the news now.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of expected, to be honest. I fear even Pokémon might not make it this year. This first year with my PS5 is going to be mostly PS4 games that were on my backlog and the Mass Effect Trilogy, it seems.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Is it fair to say most studios arent as effective WFH? Obviously not accounting for the fact that once they get used to it they will be back in offices, not everyone is moon studios.

So maybe there is no way for things to be the way they used to be ever again even with the vaccine and devs back in office this semester might not be realistic, even so maybe in the second half of 2021 most will be in offices again who knows.

Ateyaba

Banned
Dec 14, 2020
LMAO at everyone thinking all Playstation first party will be delayed. God Of War Ragnarok, I mean it's obvious, a 2021 target release never made sense. But still, I remain optimistic for Horizon FW.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With how hard COVID hit especially in Japan I'm gonna assume most of the big Japanese game that people expected this year will be delayed, exception might be RE8 and I expect another drought year for Nintendo.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Take an excerpt from CDPR and take your time pubs/devs. Don't want to see random t-posing in the BotW sequel

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OP (Raigor), he didn't say "out of 2021," he just said "2021 game delays." It could also refer to games dated for certain dates or windows delayed to a later point in the year.

i fully expect these game to slip into 22:

- gran turismo 7
- horizon 2
- god of war ragnarok
- resident evil village
- ghostwire tokio
- kena
- halo infinite single player/campaign
- oddworld soulstorm

Oddworld Soulstorm was originally planned for late 2020, but slipped to spring 2021. I think that one will be fine.

Resident Evil Village is planned for April according to the Capcom leaks, which is pretty early in the year, so I don't see it slipping as far as 2022.

Kena is planned for Q1 2021 / March, which is even earlier, so I don't think that one's slipping.

Ghostwire: Tokyo is planned for October, which sounds like more of a strategic release window since its horror-themed, so I don't see that getting delayed.

As for the rest, who knows, but I doubt *all* those games are slipping. People like to joke about God of War: Ragnarok hitting 2021, but we haven't even seen any of the game yet to get an idea of how far along it is.

Last edited: