• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
So with no truly great 4K desktop gaming displays being released this year, I've chosen to just set my PC up for couch gaming and play on my living room LG CX 48" OLED TV. What do I need to do for this? Set Steam to start in Big Picture mode and that's about it? I will be playing most games with a Steam Controller and 99% single player games.

But before I go all in on that, I want to hear from you whether it has worked for you or if you have gone back to a desk setup and why?

Soy Bob

Dec 3, 2018
I use a wireless keyboard with a trackpad built in to it. It's super useful for if I need to Alt+F4 out of games or games need text entry.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just have a long HDMI cable going from my office to the living room through the basement. Just physically swap whichever cables I am using between my dual monitor setup and the TV. My office is close enough to the living room that I put the USB hub out there hidden behind a speaker, and my wireless keyboard and mouse work in either room.

I never use Big Picture mode. I think it is pretty hideous.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I use a wireless keyboard with a trackpad built in to it. It's super useful for if I need to Alt+F4 out of games or games need text entry.

This. I've been using a variation of this for 10 years now. Logitech K400.

p9pWkCcl.jpg

funo

Oct 27, 2017
geht a wireless kb/trackpad combo for all occasions where you might need kb/m and you're basically all set.
I'm also using a 15m HDMI cable from my main desktop to my living room TV in the other room including a 15m usb hub to plug in my wireless kb/trackpad and xbox one controller in the living room whenever needed since I didn't want to move my desktop out of my home office

gaming on a 4k OLED with a capable PC is honestly mind blowingly good

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I have my PC set up in my bedroom, connected to my 4K TV, and it works just fine. I don't have a wireless mouse or keyboard, but outside of having to occasionally get up to click on something, it basically acts as a giant, suped up console. No problems for me.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Use Playnite.

It has a big picture mode and will pull all your games from multiple launchers (including Game Pass) in to one place. Fully customisable with themes and add-ons too.

playnite.link

Playnite - video game library manager

Video game library manager with one simple goal: To provide a unified interface for all of your games.

My couch PC boots straight in to it but tbh my PC is never "off", it just goes on to standby when I finish my gaming session then wakes instantly and automatically via my Harmony remote when I select the activity. Also have other buttons on my Harmony remote set to switch between speakers and headphones, etc (although that's automatic with some headsets anyway).

Also get an Xbox controller and the official wireless dongle (don't suffer Bluetooth). Most reliable controller on PC which works with everything.

Last edited:

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'm accustomed to using the desktop with a Steam Controller. It is perfect for browsing and typing short posts like these. Also keep my Xbox controller with me for certain games. Mostly switch back to desk setup for multiplayer fps games.

OP
OP
laxu

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
That sounds like a good idea. I have a spare wired 60% size DIY mechanical keyboard that can do "keyboard as mouse" stuff with a modifier that I could use as a starter for having this solution in case problems arise.

My computer is a small form factor system not that much larger than a Xbox Series X already so I can just put it next to the TV and don't need long cables. I have a Macbook Pro for work so I can dedicate the PC for gaming.

Pastebutty

Oct 29, 2017
I have my PC round the back of my TV so it's barely visible and bought one of these instead of a wireless keyboard.

It's not perfect and I do miss a desk sometime because I now can't really play any 4x or Strategy games but I knew that before I changed my setup.

My old set up was to have a desk and a TV in the living room so I could easily switch between both. I preferred that but couldn't justify the amount of space the desk took up for the amount I used it.

All in all I'm very happy with it though.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

This is a necessity, you're always going to run into occasions on Windows where a controller isn't going to be enough. The frustrating part is that there's very few decent trackpads with precision drivers available at decent prices. If anyone has done e good recommendations, then please share them.

If you're planning to use an Xbox controller, make sure you buy the wireless adapter.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
So with no truly great 4K desktop gaming displays being released this year, I've chosen to just set my PC up for couch gaming and play on my living room LG CX 48" OLED TV. What do I need to do for this? Set Steam to start in Big Picture mode and that's about it? I will be playing most games with a Steam Controller and 99% single player games.

But before I go all in on that, I want to hear from you whether it has worked for you or if you have gone back to a desk setup and why?

I've had my gaming PC connected to my LG CX for couch gaming for the past 3 years and have never looked back! I use an Xbox One S wireless pad which works great in Windows, but Steam controller would obviously do fine. Rather than Big Picture, I use Controller Companion for Steam which allows you to control the mouse cursor and button presses with the controller in Windows (among other great things like hotkey bindings), that way I can navigate Windows fine and run games from whatever launcher I want (Controller Companion turns mouse control off when it detects a game launching). I did try Big Picture at first, adding external games from other launchers to the Steam library, but I found it very hit and miss... ymmv. I can wholeheartedly recommend Controller Companion if you find Big Picture annoying.

edit: I also have a wirelss keyboard w/trackpad handy in case of needing to ctrl-alt-del or whatever, a cheapo Amazon one.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington

p9pWkCcl.jpg

This worked for what I needed it for but after playing with mechanical keyboards for a while, I just couldn't stand the mushiness. I upgraded to the G915 TKL as my replacement and while I miss the trackpad, it's much more of a joy to type on.

61aezyfO5cL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Decided this particular one vs other wireless keyboards because lightspeed. Bluetooth was too unreliable and I wanted to avoid cables at all costs. Overpriced at MSRP tho; I got mine at almost half cost.

alekth

Mar 2, 2019
That sounds like a good idea. I have a spare wired 60% size DIY mechanical keyboard that can do "keyboard as mouse" stuff with a modifier that I could use as a starter for having this solution in case problems arise.

My computer is a small form factor system not that much larger than a Xbox Series X already so I can just put it next to the TV and don't need long cables. I have a Macbook Pro for work so I can dedicate the PC for gaming.

A 40% keyboard and a Logitech M570 was what I used when I had such a setup. I did use KB/M for gaming occasionally though, never got used to the Steam controller as a full mouse substitute.
I had Steam on starting in big picture mode, worked out for most of the time, but occasionally Windows would still push some other window to the front. Plus you may want something else/another launcher/messing up with mods etc from time to time.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Haven't had a desk for about 10 years now. PC is located close to the TV, so I just need a short(ish) HDMI cable. I have a keyboard on my lap and mouse on the armrest of the sofa chair. I do have a Steam controller too for when lying down on the couch. I never use Big Picture Mode, as console like UI is inferior. Easy, comfy and glorious.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I use a 20ft HDMI cable, wireless keyboard, mouse and controller.

It's not exactly plug and play but it does the job.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried controller only solutions like playnite and big picture but I always end up falling back to just the regular desktop interface with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
I have been gaming between my monitor and TV for years. Mucked around with a wireless keyboard for much of this but always found it finniky to use. Bad track pads, changing batteries, connecting Bluetooth. I would heartily recommend you use a remote on your phone. I use Unified Remote. It connects to your pc over your WiFi network and I have found it to be a far smoother, more enjoyable experience.

Solbright

Oct 28, 2017
I'm typing this on my couch using a ROCCAT SOVA lapboard. Pair it with a nice mouse pad and mouse and it's just as good as any desk, but far comfier! Best purchase I've made besides my gaming laptop. It's currently connected to said laptop, which is sitting on my coffee table that lifts up and extends to create a nice gaming surface. Will work just fine with a tower PC, it has a nice long breakaway cable (to prevent damage from tripping) that fully powers the thing and two extra usb ports, for a mouse and whatever other device you need (I use it for my wireless headphones usb dongle).

SiamShade

Jul 11, 2020
Use Playnite.

It has a big picture mode and will pull all your games from multiple launchers (including Game Pass) in to one place. Fully customisable with themes and add-ons too.

playnite.link

Video game library manager with one simple goal: To provide a unified interface for all of your games.

My couch PC boots straight in to it but tbh my PC is never "off", it just goes on to standby when I finish my gaming session then wakes instantly and automatically via my Harmony remote when I select the activity. Also have other buttons on my Harmony remote set to switch between speakers and headphones, etc (although that's automatic with some headsets anyway).

Also get an Xbox controller and the official wireless dongle (don't suffer Bluetooth). Most reliable controller on PC which works with everything.

Thanks! I didn't know it and it looks fantastic. However, I'm testing out here but I find it incredibly sensitive by using my Xbox Series controller. For instance, just a little tap to the right makes the interface jump 2 or 3 games. Any tips?

senj

Nov 6, 2017

p9pWkCcl.jpg
I use one of these too. It's unbelievably flimsy and the wireless connection to their dumb proprietary dongle is absolutely awful from barely 6 or 7 feet away, but it (barely) gets the job done. The job being "do the occasional bit of clicking things in windows for updates or whatever", I'd never even attempt to play a game on it, it's mushy as all hell on top of the flakey connection and creaky frame. I use a series x controller for games.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I have a desktop and couch setup (different machines).
On couch, wireless mouse + keyboard is a must for me, with an X1 pad for actually playing.

I do all my emulation this way as well.
I'm actually writing this post from my couch right now. I only really do work on my desktop setup (and MK+B games like FPS and strategy).

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I use one of these too. It's unbelievably flimsy and the wireless connection to their dumb proprietary dongle is absolutely awful from barely 6 or 7 feet away, but it (barely) gets the job done. The job being "do the occasional bit of clicking things in windows for updates or whatever", I'd never even attempt to play a game on it, it's mushy as all hell on top of the flakey connection and creaky frame. I use a series x controller for games.
Do you use the dongle plugged in directly to your computer? I find that there is a very significant amount of interference this way, which is completely eliminated by using a USB extender cable of literally any length. Just enough so that it isn't buried into a PC chassis. Older versions of the K400 actually used to come with a small, rigid antenna-like USB extender for exactly this reason.

Mine works great with a rock solid connection since I bought an extension wire. It was a bit long but I just tied it up with a cable tie to shorten it.

That said, yes, it's probably not good enough to play a game on. The keys are a bit too mushy for that. It's perfectly functional if you just want to use the OS and browse the web, though, and if you play games with a controller you'll be very satisfied by it.

I do wish there was something more premium to serve the exact same purpose, though. I'd easily pay 3x the price of this keyboard for something with nicer feeling keys and a Windows Precision touchpad compatible with three and four-finger gestures. But as far as I know, this just doesn't exist at any price point.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I have the logitech k400 also when i need a keyboard and mouse ,and I configured everything to Bigbox. Pc games, emulators, everything. One ps4 controller wireless, using ds4windows and I can do literally everything by controller. I too game from the couch on a 65 inch sony.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Thanks! I didn't know it and it looks fantastic. However, I'm testing out here but I find it incredibly sensitive by using my Xbox Series controller. For instance, just a little tap to the right makes the interface jump 2 or 3 games. Any tips?
Going to assume you have Controller Companion running in the background or something similar? Because it won't be recognising Playnite as a full screen game and thus be doubling up on your button presses assuming you're in desktop. Controller Companion in particular, you should disable it to automatically work when outside of fullscreen as it's unreliable. Instead tether the controller inputs so they only work when holding the back button or something.

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I picked up a lift top coffee table. The top comes up and over towards the couch and has cubbies which hold my wireless keychron, wirelesss dark core pro, and xbox elite v2 controller, as well as AVR and TV remotes. Even if you plan exclusively on couch gaming, that nearby wireless keyboard and mouse can be very useful.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Do you use the dongle plugged in directly to your computer? I find that there is a very significant amount of interference this way, which is completely eliminated by using a USB extender cable of literally any length.

Just enough so that it isn't buried into a PC chassis. Older versions of the K400 actually used to come with a small, rigid antenna-like USB extender for exactly this reason.

Mine works great with a rock solid connection since I bought an extension wire. It was a bit long but I just tied it up with a cable tie to shorten it.

That said, yes, it's probably not good enough to play a game on. The keys are a bit too mushy for that. It's perfectly functional if you just want to use the OS and browse the web, though, and if you play games with a controller you'll be very satisfied by it.

I do wish there was something more premium to serve the exact same purpose, though. I'd easily pay 3x the price of this keyboard for something with nicer feeling keys and a Windows Precision touchpad compatible with three and four-finger gestures. But as far as I know, this just doesn't exist at any price point.

Yeah it's on an extender. It helps, but I'd say maybe every few days it gets super glitchy/unresponsive for a bit. Which is an improvement over another K400 we had connected to a TV at work for remote ppl in standups, where swearing at it for several minutes until it would respond was a daily ritual.

For $40 CDN I guess you can't ask for much, but it's only barely worth the price. I totally wish there was a legitimate premium all in one wireless keyboard + touchpad, but I've yet to see one.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Windows pc with a C1 65 as my only display currently. i use a steam controller for navigating windows and browsers, launchers etc. with games i want a standard gamepad for i use a 8bitdo sn30 pro+ or a dual sense

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Great comments in here already, but I will say even though I have the couch setup I still find myself gaming at the desk most of the time… my eyes are old and tired and it's easier to see lol.

LG CX, paired with a wireless keyboard/mouse/headset does the trick for me. Desktop connected via HDMI 2.1 (6ft).

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
Love couch gaming with my surround sound. I sit at a desk all day for work so I really don't want to come home and do the same.

I use the K400 Keyboard and Xbox Elite Controller V2 with ReWasd. ReWasd allows me to configure my Elite buttons and paddles to any thing I want. I'm currently playing Soldier of Fortune released back in 2000 and it works great. The only thing I wish is that the Elite had Gyro built in then it would be perfect. I love the back buttons and use them in every game as I hate clicking in the sticks especially to sprint. I wish Sony would add back buttons to the PS5 controller.

I've tried multiple keyboard trays and such but I've never found anything that was that great so I vary rarely play with mouse/kb. When I do I use a Razer Tartarus since I can remap that as well and it's a smaller footprint that a regular keyboard.

My CX is 30 feet away from my PC so I had to buy an expensive Fiber HDMI cable so I could play at 4k/120 as other types of cables wouldn't work. I use a display port to send sound to my receiver since the receiver is older and doesn't have HDMI 2.1.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I do both. Keep my PC in my room in a typical desktop setup for games that work best with a keyboard/mouse, and stream via an Nvidia Shield, Moonlight and a long ethernet cable to my TV in a separate room for a bigscreen 4k HDR + surround sound setup. It doesn't work for everyone, but in my case, input lag is unnoticeable and image quality stays fairly high with a near native look from the distance I sit at. The only downside is I'm limited to 4k 60hz (which isn't really a bad thing since higher framerates are very hard to hit at that resolution anyway), and I miss out on VRR.

Oct 25, 2017
I switch HDMI cables and just get up and go to my keyboard/mouse whenever I need to

I only play games with a controller from the couch

I did think about using my TV as a 2nd monitor but I'd rather use 2 monitors all the time

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I've been exclusively gaming on my TV for nearly a decade at this point, thanks to lots of long cords laid along the perimeter of the room. I even use my PC just as a regular computer on the couch with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I don't use mouse and keyboard for gaming at all (except for games that require it, but those are a very rare exception in my collection). I could never go back to sitting in a computer chair with my face mere feet away from the screen.

OP
OP
laxu

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Out of interest, does anyone know of a keyboard with a built in trackball?
Probably not what you are looking for, but the horribly named Ultimate Hacking Keyboard has a module with a trackball. I use it as my main keyboard and it's one of the most programmable things on the market.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I would really like to play StarCraft 2 with a controller…

Are the Half Life games playable now with a controller ? Tried a couple of years ago and even Black Mesa felt terrible (way too sensitive)

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
I've personally never had much joy with PC couch setups - I would say you have the best chance with picking up a 2.4g HTPC remote so you can futz with the desktop when a launcher or UAC rears up, but there's always moments where I end up dragging myself back to the desk in a huff to sort something out, like when a game doesn't have proper understanding of having two screens to display shit on. Perhaps a wireless KBM setup would do better, but then that's a shitload of clutter.

These days, I just use the Deck - Linux is less stringent on permissions and launchers can be dealt with just slapping the screen. But obviously there's extra expense and waiting for that, but it works for my interests in the PC gaming space.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
My desk and TV are in the same room, and have a display port cable going to my monitor; and a HDMI cable going to the TV.

I switch between the two using Monitor Profile Switcher to easily go between the two displays.

For couch gaming I mainly stick to using my Xbox Controller(wireless), but I do have both a wireless keyboard and mouse.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Add me to the chorus of people recommending a media keyboard. I have the Microsoft one, but I'm guessing they're all about the same - sucks to type on, but is very handy and heaps more convenient than other solutions I've seen. Use a gamepad once in your "big picture" mode of choice (I use Playnite), but there's always some reason you need a keyboard and/or mouse.
RE1mQfp

Use Playnite.

playnite.link

Couple of questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. What theme do you use in Playnite? I tried a whole bunch, but I like a minimalist UI and they're all too busy and/or garish for me. I ended up using the default, but it's a bit plain.

2. Why not Bluetooth for the Xbox controller? I'm assuming lag or latency has been an issue for you? I used to have the wireless adaptor (the huge dongle version) but I broke it by being careless so now I use Bluetooth, and I haven't noticed any difference tbh. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to whatever the problem is?