• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
For me it was both. Luke was so latched onto the past he had to let it go so he could move on and learn. Sometimes people struggle to learn because they're so fixated on what went wrong and are afraid of it happening again.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why you would listen to dumb movie discourse to the point where you create a thread about it unprompted. I think at this point you might be in too deep if you can't ignore the bullshit.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol Seeya is still at it 😂

Anyone who thinks ERA is less critical of entertainment than the general public is not worth taking seriously.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
People don't even remember what they watched, they just know that they hated it to death and prefers the Prequels instead of ST

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
People don't even remember what they watched, they just know that they hated it to death and prefers the Prequels instead of ST
I've had an argument with someone about events of the movie in which they eventually revealed that they were on their phone for the section in question

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That is a very surface-level interpretation of the movie's message. If you look just beyond the surface it becomes apparent that the theme of killing the past is in fact central to the movie and it still echoes through the finale. It is not an accident that the Luke Skywalker that appeared at the final battle was an apparition, an idealized version of the hero. A romanticized but not tangible version of the past.

Through the constant tug of war between Kylo (kill the past) and Rey (revere the past) the movie debates the issue and settles on the conclusion that the idealized version of the past has its uses an a means of inspiration for younger generations, but the ugly truth is that the past is not as glorious or heroic as you remember it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
like it's one thing to understand the movie and hate what the movie is

that's fine

but nowadays it's like people are watching movies.... wrong, somehow? like, are people half-watching while checking their phone, or watching it at high speed, or fast forwarding until they see something that "looks" interesting?

i don't get it
This also goes hand-in-hand with spoiler culture where if any big moment is revealed to the viewers prior to witnessing it themselves, the other 120+ minutes of the film have been ruined.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine that its 2 years later and the same few things are still being endlessly debated about this movie. It's like PTSD of the film's OTs in which there were literally thousands of posts about this stuff.

Let the past (discussions we've had a million times about TLJ) die.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't we had this thread like a dozen times since TLJ came out?

And why can't some people allow others to draw their own opinions about a film without feeling the need to tell them they are wrong about it?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That is a very surface-level interpretation of the movie's message. If you look just beyond the surface it becomes apparent that the theme of killing the past is in fact central to the movie and it still echoes through the finale. It is not an accident that the Luke Skywalker that appeared at the final battle was an apparition, an idealized version of the hero. A romanticized but not tangible version of the past.

Through the constant tug of war between Kylo (kill the past) and Rey (revere the past) the movie debates the issue and settles on the conclusion that the idealized version of the past has its uses an a means of inspiration for younger generations, but the ugly truth is that the past is not as glorious or heroic as you remember it.
Learning from the past's failures is not the same as killing the past, like how Kylo and Luke wanna do at the first. Yoda tells Luke to not kill it but to learn from it to better the next generations.

If Yoda spelling out the movie for you wasn't enough, RJ takes about how it's not about killing the past on a podcast a few weeks after TLJ came out. Your interpretation is just objectively wrong.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't we had this thread like a dozen times since TLJ came out?

And why can't some people allow others to draw their own opinions about a film without feeling the need to tell them they are wrong about it?
Because people who dislike the film like to latch on to this to pretend like Rian Johnson hated the old films and the fans. "Kill the past" is a direct attack on their love for Star Wars but the reality is that the movie is telling you the opposite.

It's something worth correcting.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I think it says something that people uncritically take the villain's message to heart. You're not supposed to agree with Kylo! He's an unstable man-child with daddy AND grand-daddy issues.

It's like coming out of ESB and thinking "Huh, yeah, Luke totally should have teamed up with Vader to rule the galaxy, what an idiot for choosing his friends instead."

It's no coincidence that in both films Yoda is right fucking there explicitly laying out the real deal.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Which makes people saying the movie is subversive funny. It's the same as every other Star Wars movie.

Subversive: seeking or intended to subvert an established system or institution

TLJ is status quo but it had the ideas to be subversive, it just didn't follow through.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Which makes people saying the movie is subversive funny. It's the same as every other Star Wars movie.

Subversive: seeking or intended to subvert an established system or institution

TLJ is status quo but it had the ideas to be subversive, it just didn't follow through.
The ideas that would be "subversive" according to ST would just be the status quo with no overall message beyond "well in my head this seems cool so it should happen." The biggest example being the suggestions that Rey should've joined Kylo.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Learning from the past's failures is not the same as killing the past, like how Kylo and Luke wanna do at the first. Yoda tells Luke to not kill it but to learn from it to better the next generations.

If Yoda spelling out the movie for you wasn't enough, RJ takes about how it's not about killing the past on a podcast a few weeks after TLJ came out. Your interpretation is just objectively wrong.

It's not my interpretation, it's what the movie presented. It's very, very clear.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The message was see the next one, buy the toys and come to our theme parks.
This. I understand people who get frustrated at the haters but is fucking Disney, they still make a ton with SW and people are allowed to dislike one of their thousand of million seller movies that have clogged the state of modern cinema.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If it is advice the villain is giving or following, it is generally not the lesson you should learn.

I would tend to agree with you.

Except he killed off Luke. For no fucking reason whatsoever. Rather than give him a proper opportunity to fix things.

The most singular example of franchise sabotage since BvS.

I don't think he really died at all. He ascended to a higher form of existence, becoming one with the binding force of the universe. If you can talk, manifest yourself at will, and are part of the binding force of the universe, are you really dead in any sense?

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Kylo states this line. Yes, Luke is mopey and has given up after his past mistakes and proclaims the Jedi must die. But all of this happens in the first two acts of the film. Films are three act stories. The moral and message of a film comes in its conclusion, the final act.

Just to clarify films are however many acts the creators desire. "Full Metal Jacket" is a two act film for example. Three is just typical.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Reminds me that I had more fun with TLJ than any Star Wars movie that was made after the original trilogy. In my mind it's way better than the one that came before it. It was bold in places where it needed to be. No forced bullshit like a certain much loved character dying in Force Awakens. That did nothing for me, even if it gave Chewbacca a cool scene.

I never understood the theme to be that negative but that's usually used as a typical arguement against the film, yep.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US box office numbers:

OT:
Star Wars: $460,998,007
ESB: $290,475,067 (63% of the 1st movie's BO)
ROTJ: $309,306,177

PT:
TPM: $474,544,677
AOTC: $310,676,740 (65% of the 1st movie's BO)
ROTS: $380,270,577

ST:
TFA: $936,662,225
TLJ: $620,181,382 (66% of the 1st movie's BO)
TROS: ?? (but my guess is, based on historical evidence: it'll make more than TLJ but less than TFA)

CONCLUSION: Every second movie performed worse at the Box Office than the first. However, The Last Jedi performed better than any other middle chapter in either trilogy.

See my other post but if you are only comparing the original releases

Empire Strikes Back grosses 68.15% of A New Hope's domestic gross when only comparing their original releases, while Attack of the Clones netted 70.1% of Phantom Menace's initial domestic haul.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't kill the past, just kill all the past characters. And bring a dead one back and then kill him again.
e2b.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Empire Strikes Back grosses 68.15% of A New Hope's domestic gross when only comparing their original releases, while Attack of the Clones netted 70.1% of Phantom Menace's initial domestic haul.
So they all were almost identical in their drops from first film to second film, as has been explained.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, enjoying content from a guy who has defended Trump and has used racist and sexist slurs is wonderful entertainment.
thats his personal belief supporting Trump. Besides where was rich evans sexist or racist? Can you link me something so i can believe you. But i found this clip funny lol.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Ok, in terms of percentages, it would appear to be the weakest by a few percentage points. But they're all within the same margin (66, 68, 70%) And adjusted for inflation, TLJ earned more money than Attack of the Clones (464 billion vs 620 billion), and just a bit under ESB (700 billion vs 620 billion).

So yeah, the box office numbers are as expected really.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
The message was see the next one, buy the toys and come to our theme parks.
This. I understand people who get frustrated at the haters but is fucking Disney, they still make a ton with SW and people are allowed to dislike one of their thousand of million seller movies that have clogged the state of modern cinema.
Lol what kind of takes are these?

Might as well end basically every discussion relating to plot/story in the Gaming side because "the message is that they want you to buy the sequel and related merchandise".

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Yoda literally beats Luke over the head and then tells him (and the audience) the theme of the movie.

It's so explicit I'm surprised there's still an argument over it.
Right. And it's not even "up for interpretation" or anything. What Yoda says in that scene is literally black and white "this is the theme of the movie".

A lot of people refusing to accept arguments because "oh well they're just themes let people interpret them how they want" -- sure, but, people can indeed interpret things wrong. It's not like when they were making the movie they were like "you know what? we don't know what overall theme we want to portray throughout the movie, so, it's just thematically grey".

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yoda literally beats Luke over the head and then tells him (and the audience) the theme of the movie.

It's so explicit I'm surprised there's still an argument over it.
I am convinced that most hot takes you see on the internet for movies and media are just ripped off from media personalities on twitter and youtube.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats his personal belief supporting Trump. Besides where was rich evans sexist or racist? Can you link me something so i can believe you. But i found this clip funny lol.
www.resetera.com

A Critique of Red Letter Media’s Bigoted Content (See Staff Post)

For years now, RLM has been given a pass because people find their content entertaining. Despite multiple instances of blatant sexist, racist and anti-progressive rhetoric, they remain widely referenced and enjoyed by ERA. When folks bring up their problematic commentary, it's often ignored or...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People are running online to post their reactions and see the reactions of others immediately after they see the movie.

And no offense to my sisters and brothers of the internet, but most of what is posted is from idiots just formulating some hot take 3 hours after they saw the movie.

On the other hand, I am not sure why people get so upset at these reactions from the internet. I only go online to look for new and interesting opinions. I try to avoid the noise.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

A Critique of Red Letter Media’s Bigoted Content (See Staff Post)

For years now, RLM has been given a pass because people find their content entertaining. Despite multiple instances of blatant sexist, racist and anti-progressive rhetoric, they remain widely referenced and enjoyed by ERA. When folks bring up their problematic commentary, it's often ignored or...
While i do agree with all the actions linked and rich is probably sexist or racist i would still say i loved RLM TLJ plinkett and their other SW reviews. Found them very entertaining. And the rian johnson clip is funny too lol.