• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I honestly cannot tell if these Star Wars threads aren't inherently antagonistic anymore. We got people saying what the movie is really about and calling others basically dumb for not understanding a kid's movie. Is this some type of meta-commentary like thing where you have to one up the Star Wars haters by saying they're not able to understand a kid's movie? Like, what happened to even cause this PSA?

Star Wars threads are mind boggling.
It's primarily children stomping about because people didn't like the thing they liked and that makes them mad 😡

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If Yoda is a Force ghost, why does he need a walking stick...Where did he get the stick from? He didn't take one with him.
If he's a force ghost, why does Obi-Wan need to sit?

LukeObiWanDagobah.jpg

Jan 3, 2018
Luke is very much in TROS, ya' know. It's a space fantasy movie.

TROS is full of legacy characters. Luke, Leia, Chewie, Threepio, Artoo, Palpatine, Lando, Wedge.....and potentially others. More legacy characters than TFA had.

If it's about getting rid of past characters they aren't doing a good job at getting rid of them.

It would be weird if Luke or Leia had a large role in RoS, but I guess there's no rule saying force ghosts can't be major characters.

To be clear, I don't care if the old characters die or not, (although I felt Luke's death was unnecessary) but you can't fault people thinking "let the past die" is a theme of TLJ when it kills off 4 characters. Plus "letting the past die" isn't necessarily a bad thing, and in the case of Snoke/Phasma it's a good thing, so we can give Kylo partial credit.

If Yoda is a Force ghost, why does he need a walking stick...Where did he get the stick from? He didn't take one with him.

They should've given him back his hover seat.

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
"In my opinion" just needs to be a hard macro on the Create Post function

Is this "Sheev" thing some kind of hipster cool person gimmick on ERA?

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't his dick out?
The same place he got his clothes. The force.
He left his clothes behind too.
Clothes are one thing, sure but Vader didn't come back scarred and limbless..
He didn't take his clothes, either, but he has those. Maybe he just likes his stick and wants it in the Force Zone.
He has ghostly arthritis going on lol

That bastard Yoda probably stole it from old man Luke.

100%, probably took it from a table in Luke's hut holding up his valuables.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
The Jedi Order needs to continue but better than the old ones.

I can see post-ep.9 EU Story about Rey or Whoever struggles to rebuild since they need a better guideline to not end up like Yoda or Luke.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
t would be weird if Luke or Leia had a large role in RoS, but I guess there's no rule saying force ghosts can't be major characters.

To be clear, I don't care if the old characters die or not, (although I felt Luke's death was unnecessary) but you can't fault people thinking "let the past die" is a theme of TLJ when it kills off 4 characters.
You really can fault that logic when literally the message of the film is said by a character from the past.
Plus "letting the past die" isn't necessarily a bad thing, and in the case of Snoke/Phasma it's a good thing, so we can give Kylo partial credit.
Kylo is a walking talking example of the following quote:
1041140375ae83f64a41375a0b9418f3.png

Hence his "let it all die" speech being followed by him immediately repeating the past:
Day7Fz9VMAAqmfo.jpg

Kylo makes no valid points in TLJ.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think the most annoying thing is when people essentially say "I didn't get it" = "the film did a bad job explaining it's themes." As if it's the fault of the film that they decided, "you know this space nazi guy is making some good points rn."

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It being memorable, which it very much is, does not make it the message or moral of the film. The actual message of the film is the exact opposite of it.

Xerxes of Persia once said, "there are only two messages- the one we send — and the one they hear"*

* i made it up but it sounds rite

Jan 3, 2018
You really can fault that logic when literally the message of the film is said by a character from the past.

Kylo is a walking talking example of the following quote:
1041140375ae83f64a41375a0b9418f3.png

Hence his "let it all die" speech being followed by him immediately repeating the past:
Day7Fz9VMAAqmfo.jpg

Kylo makes no valid points in TLJ.

Well he didn't say "forget the past," he said "let it die," which is a metaphor and I take to mean "let the past go" or "move on from the past." For instance, Luke's recent past has been not helping his friends and family, and he "lets it die" by choosing to help.

Maybe I'm not getting my point across without using loads of jpgs...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well he didn't say "forget the past," he said "let it die," which is a metaphor and I take to mean "let the past go" or "move on from the past." For instance, Luke's recent past has been not helping his friends and family, and he "lets it die" by choosing to help.

Maybe I'm not getting my point across without using loads of jpgs...
Let it all die means forget. Even if we take it to mean "move on from the past." Kylo is absolutely incapable of doing that.
fdc76a6879686cbd0332d23f52a2a30b.jpg

And shouldn't be listened to.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
So the moral of AotC is that sand is bullshit?

uh, yes? that's how it's always worked. remember in jaws when they said they needed a bigger boat and then didn't get one? the shark ate the boat and the main characters were dumb to stay on the boat, which is why they all died. don't like the moral? deal with it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
uh, yes? that's how it's always worked. remember in jaws when they said they needed a bigger boat and then didn't get one? the shark ate the boat and the main characters were dumb to stay on the boat, which is why they all died. don't like the moral? deal with it.
"The moral of ET is that the government should've gotten ET at the end."

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Clearly the moral of ROTS is the droid attack on the wookies is the most important matter of all and that the jedi are evil. Anakin seems like a fine lad to be listening to when he says that line after all. Hell, ROTS would be more interesting if Obiwan or Padme joined Anakin when he became evil. 😃

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was one of the many confused messages of the film (alongside Learn from failure, Love but do not sacrifice, and The Force is for Everyone), all stupid and all very badly portrayed as featuring both sides of the coin in positive lights for practically every "message" the movie would try to carry (like when Rose utters the childish lines to Finn, after her own sister saved the fleet, Holdo saved the fleet, and Luke saved what's left, all by sacrificing themselves, whereas without Luke's intervention Rose saving Finn to kiss him would have likely doomed them).

Oh, yes. War profiteers bad too (and save animals!). Except again the film goes out of it's way to show that it's pointless, as per example when outlined that the Resistance is one of the profiteers' bigest clients.

A complete and utter thematic mess.

Jan 3, 2018
Let it all die means forget. Even if we take it to mean "move on from the past." Kylo is absolutely incapable of doing that.
fdc76a6879686cbd0332d23f52a2a30b.jpg

And shouldn't be listened to.

I'll agree that Kylo at the end is absolutely not a role model, but the concept of letting old things die is not inherently bad. I think a lot of the audience wanted to let the past die and hoped for the movie/trilogy to do something really fresh after that scene, and then it gave us nu-ATATs on a white planet. So one theme of the movie is 'keep milking the old things."

WaQ2dn5m.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'll agree that Kylo at the end is absolutely not a role model. I think a lot of the audience wanted to let the past die and hoped for the movie/trilogy to do something really fresh after that scene, and then it gave us nu-ATATs on a white planet
A lot of the audience should've paid attention to the damn movie instead of waiting for wish fulfillment. 🍵

It was one of the many confused messages of the film
The issue is considering it to be a message of TLJ in the first place.