• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Look, to an extent I get it. The Epic Games Store is "stealing" games off of Steam that people originally thought would release on it. They also have a very underdeveloped storefront, and it's definitely inconvenient for people to have to re-add friends to their friends list and not be allowed to use the social features of Steam. I really get that. Frankly, I don't even like the Epic Games Store, but if a game is exclusive to it, I won't really bat an eye at buying something I want to play because I lose virtually nothing from it.

But for real, some people are so furious at the EGS existing entirely that they won't even grace it with a single thought lest it ruin the sanctity of their hard drive. A totally free storefront which is not that much different from Origin, U-Play, etc.

I made a thread the other day about Outer Wilds and people are so upset at EGS that they want to play the game, but refuse to because it's only on EGS. What is the point of that? I've seen several Youtubers and people on Twitter get verbally attacked by hordes of people for having the opinion that "EGS isn't that bad". It's like we've reverted to a console wars mentality from 2001.

Isn't competition in the storefront market good? I already see the awesome deals Epic Games Store is giving, and several indie devs have stated they have stayed afloat due to the exclusivity deals. Isn't this a good thing? Am I missing a bigger piece of the puzzle, or is this all just "gamer elitism" and "change being bad"?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i agree. I'd prefer to keep my library on Steam, but I'm not about to boycott a game I want to play because of it, that's silly to me.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There's a couple reasons that I'll let other people explain, but essentially the things that you're ok with, some people aren't/it's a dealbreaker

I do wish people would just calm down a notch too, but that's in general

Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Moneyhatting is not good competition. Competition is supposed to give me MORE choice, not less. I'm fully fine with Epic essentially publishing indie games. But we know that's not the only case, all those kickstarters and such are the proof.

Moneyhatting exclusives is bad when consoles do it. Moneyhatting dlc is bad when Sony does it. Moneyhatting funded games is bad when Epic does it.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): platform warring
Some valid reasons to hate it. But also the fervency is likely caused by years of worshipping/idolizing a company even 'as a meme'
gabe_newell_meme-580x334.jpg

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost like there's been a million thread, each including a read first gigantic mod message.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They don't offer as many features as Steam does. Very key features at that.

It's also the enormous amount of exclusives that are pissing people off. I don't think it would be a problem if it was more sensible. But when almost every notable PC release gets an exclusive arrangement with the EGS, it gets annoying.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's not cool to lockdown Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games that people funding thinking they were coming to a different platform.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
They want EGS to behave as if they're on an even playing field with Steam, when they're really not. They think that offering similar "services" would be enough for that store to thrive, when it really wouldn't be.
It's not cool to lockdown Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games that people funding thinking they were coming to a different platform.
EGS didn't make that promise, the developer did.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's almost like there's multiple detailed accounts and files of why the store isn't liked and that's completely divorced from them nabbing up exclusives.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They want EGS to behave as if they're on an even playing field with Steam, when they're really not. They think that offering similar "services" would be enough for that store to thrive, when it really wouldn't be.
Well they've already given away plenty of games and have plenty of exclusives so having services that come even close to Steam sure would be appreciated.

Origin is still going in 2019.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Short answer, they were supposed to be a new net postive on the PC Gaming landscape but have mostly been a net negative via their choices and actions.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
There's like 10 threads about it. Seriously, trying to explain our LEGITIMATE concerns every week is tiring
Almost like there's been a million thread, each including a read first gigantic mod message.
My bad all, I genuinely haven't seen any other threads on this. If a mod wants to lock this one down that's okay. I can do some searching.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread boils down to "Please consider buying electronic games in our videogame platform, Epic Store."

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I personally have no issue with it. I don't care about any of the features it doesn't have that Steam does, and it's literally just another launcher for me.

That said, I understand others' complaints, though I absolutely feel the blind hate often drowns out legitimate criticism.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It mostly comes down to Dey took our games! And apparently people have convinced themselves that Steam's feature bloat of mostly worse versions of existing things is a critical loss. Basically a lot of bellyaching for mostly nothing. There is the shitty part of games on EGS having no region pricing in some regions that Steam does, but I have the sneaking suspicion most complainers aren't caught up in that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

This is the one part I understand. If you kickstarted a game under the expectation that you'd get a Steam code, the devs should honor that promise and Epic isn't doing enough to help those people when they moneyhat the shit out of a Kickstarter project.

Beyond that, I think people are a bit over-the-top in how much they hate EGS.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
Look, to an extent I get it. The Epic Games Store is "stealing" games off of Steam that people originally thought would release on it. They also have a very underdeveloped storefront, and it's definitely inconvenient for people to have to re-add friends to their friends list and not be allowed to use the social features of Steam. I really get that. Frankly, I don't even like the Epic Games Store, but if a game is exclusive to it, I won't really bat an eye at buying something I want to play because I lose virtually nothing from it.

But for real, some people are so furious at the EGS existing entirely that they won't even grace it with a single thought lest it ruin the sanctity of their hard drive. A totally free storefront which is not that much different from Origin, U-Play, etc.

I made a thread the other day about Outer Wilds and people are so upset at EGS that they want to play the game, but refuse to because it's only on EGS. What is the point of that? I've seen several Youtubers and people on Twitter get verbally attacked by hordes of people for having the opinion that "EGS isn't that bad". It's like we've reverted to a console wars mentality from 2001.

Isn't competition in the storefront market good? I already see the awesome deals Epic Games Store is giving, and several indie devs have stated they have stayed afloat due to the exclusivity deals. Isn't this a good thing? Am I missing a bigger piece of the puzzle, or is this all just "gamer elitism" and "change being bad"?

Imagine making this thread and locking it with only your post/opinion for a year, and ending you post "... Isn't opinions on forums good?".

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plenty of valid points mixed into far too much overreaction. I'm sure it will all shake out one way or another in a year or so.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
it is quite obvious that people prefer Steam, and want their games on Steam, and Epic's store is not better in any way, so Epic buying games to be exclusive on it just pisses people off. Maybe if the Epic store was actually good and could offer functionality for every day users of Steam something better than Steam maybe people wouldn't be so pissed.

It's just a fact that Steam *is* the best platform for games on PC, it's not simply a store but an ecosystem. Games being taken off it to be exclusive on a shittier platform is something most people do not like.

I am not even anti-Epic, if there's an exclusive on Epic that I want to play, I will buy it, but I prefer Steam's ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.