• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Philippines. They love us there. More than Americans like Americans.

uh, Duterte is 10x the fascist DT could ever dream of being. c'mon, man, pay attention

President of Philippines, Duterte
"Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun, you have my support," Duterte said in his speech, which was televised nationally.

"We just kill another 32 every day, maybe we can reduce what's wrong in this country."

what does this have to do with OP's question?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend and I are both well educated and we have savings. Where are good places we can move if we need to if/when everything goes to shit after the election?
Since you want to move there education don't really matter (unless you plan to get a master in said country).

It's all about if your skill are demanded (in that your education of course will help).
Remember that those are the following step for pretty much 100% of possible places you want to move

1) Find a job offer
2) Apply for the a VISA

Depending on the country might be easy or not.

Unless you want to do a be a digital nomad, in that case with a US passport you can do VISA run easily.

Dec 23, 2017
uh, Duterte is 10x the fascist DT could ever dream of being. c'mon, man, pay attention

President of Philippines, Duterte

"We just kill another 32 every day, maybe we can reduce what's wrong in this country."

what does this have to do with OP's question?
Well being a POC I think really should matter where you decide to live. I recently was looking at moving certain places as a POC with a mixed family and it's almost a necessity now. If OP doesn't feel that way assuming OP is a POC then I will OP the best and hope for nothing for the best.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Before Trump during Obama you would have been welcomed everywhere. Now not so much depending on how you are affiliated politically.
But as much as we like to shit on america, the people are still well liked.

OP
OP
Sky Chief

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I think UK might be easiest as I have lived there before three times and my aunt and grandmother live there. Australia might be an option because my grandfather and aunt are Australian. I've heard that their immigration is super strict regardless though. Canada seems like the easiest transition.

My girlfriend is a PhD Biochemist and I am the COO of a startup manufacturing company. It just seems like shit is getting worse and worse and it feels like this country is on the brink of massive unrest.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly and a very good question. 🤔
Speaking of Asia.
No matter where you go, you will be considered the "different one", and you don't really have much interaction with black peoples. It will not necessary lead to negative discrimination, but it will lead you being threaded differently, this is valid for white people as well, but if you think white privilege exists in the US, you will surprised how much is present in Asia.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If you come to Canada and be normal nobody will shit on you for being from the States. If you relate to people with Canadian shit pretty much anybody here would be welcoming.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
Problem you're gonna have, OP, is that you'll need valuable skills to be able to emigrate and there can't be a surplus of people with those skills in the local market because it'll be far cheaper and easier to hire someone them than to hire you. This will be particularly difficult right now because local labour is in plentiful supply in most places because of redundancies and business closures in the wake of covid.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never knew this! Would you mind elaborating how immigrating to the US is easier compared to other countries?
Sure, so the US system is primarily based on family ties. Majority of documented immigration to the US occurs this way, and essentially consists of a family member sponsoring the arrival of new immigrants. Other countries rely more heavily upon skill-based and employment based methods of immigration. Canada, most Western European countries, Japan and South Korea, etc. It is also somewhat easier to attain permanent citizenship or residency in the US than it is in quite a few developed nations (in some nations this is almost impossible except under very specific circumstances).

The one massive caveat to all this is that the EU allows for free movement between the various member states, so the easiest immigration in the world is actually between European countries that are part of the EU. However, that only applies to those countries, and this thread was made by someone outside of that free movement policy so it's not applicable here.

One other thing to note is that US immigration based on humanitarian aid is paltry relative to the size of the country, and many other developed countries accept far more immigrants this way relative to their size than the US does (Germany and Canada are good examples of this).

Another thing to note about US immigration is that we have pretty expansive birthright citizenship, which ties directly into the family ties nature of the US immigration system. Birthright citizenship is largely a North and South American phenomenon, very few countries outside of this portion of the globe have this policy.

Developed Asian nations in particular (such as South Korea and Japan) have incredibly strict and conservative immigration and citizenship policy.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think UK might be easiest as I have lived there before three times and my aunt and grandmother live there. Australia might be an option because my grandfather and aunt are Australian. I've heard that their immigration is super strict regardless though. Canada seems like the easiest transition.

My girlfriend is a PhD Biochemist and I am the COO of a startup manufacturing company. It just seems like shit is getting worse and worse and it feels like this country is on the brink of massive unrest.
so you want to go from one country with troubles to the next country with Brexit troubles?

if you are willing to learn German, you could always relocate here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you have family ties in both Britain and Australia then both of those countries are good options. Culturally Canada would be the easiest transition, yeah.

Seeing your profession and your partner's...you are far more insulated from the affects of any potential unrest than the vast majority of Americans. That's part of why leaving the country is even an option for you. The irony of immigration is that the people who least need to leave are the most able to.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
so you want to go from one country with troubles to the next country with Brexit troubles?

if you are willing to learn German, you could always relocate here.

I've told my wife that I 100% want to move to Germany. She speaks German and was an exchange student there. I'm starting to learn German on Duolingo. I pray they'll take us. The only obstacle is my daughter who doesn't want to upend her life-but she's the reason I want to move out of America. I don't want her growing up in Gilead.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If you are not an asshole, you're welcome pretty much anywhere. You don't even need to learn the language if you would come to, for instance, the Netherlands.

Of course, with Covid-19 it's hard to actually migrate now, especially if you are from the US.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If you're white, pretty much all of Europe (& probably the rest of the world except the countries worst fucked over by or most opposing of (more recent) American imperialism, i.e. much of Middle East, Russia) is pretty ok with (white) American individuals. If you're not white, then good luck~

Last edited:

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, so the US system is primarily based on family ties. Majority of documented immigration to the US occurs this way, and essentially consists of a family member sponsoring the arrival of new immigrants. Other countries rely more heavily upon skill-based and employment based methods of immigration. Canada, most Western European countries, Japan and South Korea, etc. It is also somewhat easier to attain permanent citizenship or residency in the US than it is in quite a few developed nations (in some nations this is almost impossible except under very specific circumstances).

The one massive caveat to all this is that the EU allows for free movement between the various member states, so the easiest immigration in the world is actually between European countries that are part of the EU. However, that only applies to those countries, and this thread was made by someone outside of that free movement policy so it's not applicable here.

One other thing to note is that US immigration based on humanitarian aid is paltry relative to the size of the country, and many other developed countries accept far more immigrants this way relative to their size than the US does (Germany and Canada are good examples of this).

Another thing to note about US immigration is that we have pretty expansive birthright citizenship, which ties directly into the family ties nature of the US immigration system. Birthright citizenship is largely a North and South American phenomenon, very few countries outside of this portion of the globe have this policy.

Developed Asian nations in particular (such as South Korea and Japan) have incredibly strict and conservative immigration and citizenship policy.
Fascinating! This was very enlightening! Thank you for taking the time to write this!

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wish you good luck finding a job that sponsors a Visa but Americans are the only group of people Ive met that consistently act like its their right to move to another country if they feel like it.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
If you have a decent education and skills we need there is a decent chance you can come to western europe
Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK would be the easiest transition for Americans, I would assume. No idea about immigration requirements though.
If you're leaving the US because of Trump why would you go to the UK

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
The Netherlands is mostly very friendly to all educated people. Your girlfriemd could be a teacher at a university here. There's a shortage of teachers and almost all universities give lessons in English. Being a teacher has a lot of benefits here as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Can people without education in that field work as ESL teachers at your universities? That seems kinda wild
They mean almost all universities have an option to study the whole degree in English. I have not studied in Spanish since I was 18. Meaning that being a PhD in Biochemistry, she could try and lecture in Biochemistry, and language would not be a barrier.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
tumblr_inline_mt3q5oQIPO1s11umo.gif

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
They mean almost all universities have an option to study the whole degree in English. I have not studied in Spanish since I was 18.
Do they? Seems kinda weird to suggest that a PhD biochemist should study to become an ESL teacher. I feel like the implication was rather "she speaks native English, there is high demand for teachers as all universities offer English courses, so she could do that"

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you're not a Republican. We have enough cases of cancer in our country as it is.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
IDK. Just seems like the US process is shit on the most - for good reason. So people might not realize that plenty of other countries make it a very difficult process too.

They could learn something from the UK Home Office, if they're not already swapping notes. A mate of mine is currently going through the indefinite leave to remain process here after working and paying tax for years - and every part of the process seems to be designed to extort money from the applicant, while also being time consuming and crazily bureaucratic.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Do they? Seems kinda weird to suggest that a PhD biochemist should study to become an ESL teacher. I feel like the implication was rather "she speaks native English, there is high demand for teachers as all universities offer English courses, so she could do that"
No, they probably meant she could teach Biochemistry courses in European universities. Not that they could teach English language.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
No, they probably meant she could teach Biochemistry courses in European universities. Not that they could teach English language.
Yeah, the phrasing threw me off a bit. Mostly because "you could teach English" is a thing I've heard suggested a lot to native speakers... And many countries allow it, too. Made me jump to conclusions since it was in the back of my head. Sorry.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
You should note that if you don't speak the local language your job prospects will always be somewhat limited. Just how limited depends on the country and your profession.

In many white-collar professions the work language might theoretically be English meaning all the reporting will be done in English but if you need to deal with clients, subcontractors or the general public not knowing the local language can become an issue.

Jun 19, 2020
You could go to Germany if we are open to Americans again. We have healthcare for everyone and social nets if something goes wrong in your life. Generaly i would recommend you Canada or Europe. You should start learning the language of the country that you choose soon.

If things in the US go very wrong you could even count as refugees.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd recommend emigrating to Europe. Especially Germany or Sweden depending on your background. The UK right now just isn't worth it