• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
My girlfriend and I are both well educated and we have savings. Where are good places we can move if we need to if/when everything goes to shit after the election?

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
It's not as easy as it seems. But generally other countries understand not all Americans are idiots.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Immigration is difficult, you have to have desirable skills and in most cases either a job lined up or an educational program lined up. Or enough money to not need to work.

This is true for all immigration though, Americans with the means to actually immigrate somewhere are probably some of the most desirable migrants possible.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Currently, you can fly to these locations from the US without restrictions:
  • Albania
  • Belarus
  • Brazil
  • Dominican Republic
  • Mexico
  • North Macedonia
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • Zambia
As for immigrating, like others said, you probably need degrees or a ton of work experience, or a ton of money. Then there's the difficulty of finding an employment sponsor probably from long distance, during what is likely a recession.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Having been to multiple countries over the years, as long as you aren't showing up wearing a MAGA hat or anything, most people will acknowledge you as people and treat you accordingly.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
You can always look in to teaching English. I started living abroad by doing that, and then transitioned in to another career. 18 years later, and I'm still out here.

Dec 31, 2017
To move to? I dunno a lot of places in Europe. You need the language and a job tho. Germany is pretty open to people with degrees in fields that are desired, and often in many industries you can get by with English. But you will probably want to learn the language.

Or Canada.

Last edited:

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Most countries. People understand that common people are not the government. You would be fine in Northern Europe and Japan, could teach English or whatever.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ironically as difficult as the US immigration system is for becoming a permanent resident and eventually citizen, it's also quite hard overseas. Basically if you're not rich/well-connected, have a job lined up, or have a desirable skill (usually STEM), it seems almost "need not apply."

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
If you can work remotely Barbados is the easiest way to leave as they are doing 12 month Welcome Stamp/Visa which you can renew after 12 months to live and work remotely in Barbados.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically as difficult as the US immigration system is for becoming a permanent resident and eventually citizen, it's also quite hard overseas. Basically if you're not rich/well-connected, have a job lined up, or have a desirable skill (usually STEM), it seems almost "need not apply."
Yeah, US actually has one of the...easier immigration systems compared most developed countries. And our immigration system is completely fucked and horrible.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a job lined up or a desirable skill set it is relatively easy. Certain industries such as pharma and finance have a fair amount of overseas jobs.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Things might be rough right now due to COVID, but once that's cooled off immigrating elsewhere as an educated American shouldn't be too hard, especially if your skills are in an in-demand field. Canada's my back-up plan, because I'm too lazy to learn a new language. My understanding is you need to get a job first, then move and have them sponsor your paperwork.

So yeah, if you're thinking medium to long term, you're probably fine. Pick where you think you want to go, and start learning the language if you haven't already.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Please tell me you're not a white person with comfortable finances who's concerned about your place in the world.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
check out the target country's immigration programs. Canada might be good if you have a job lined up, which could be easy or hard depending on if your skillset is something in need.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You are welcome on sunny Costa Rica.
We are a progressive, army-less country with many beaches and kind people.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK would be the easiest transition for Americans, I would assume. No idea about immigration requirements though.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I'd suggest coming to the UK because you speak English and the unwashed masses love that.

However, we've got a lot of bullshit going on ourselves, politically speaking, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. This country's going to hell in a handbasket led by a selfish moron backed by thunderous applause from ignorant fuckwits who whilst stepping out on the streets to cheer "ARE HEROES IN THE NHS" refuse to wear masks to limit the spread of infection.

But yeah, for the most part the UK are welcoming to Americans or at least everything negative I've heard is from some old fart grumbling about turning up late for "the war" or some such.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna make the move if Trump wins as well. Well as soon as countries let us in thanks to the US response to covid.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Americans are generally not liked or welcome in the UK at all.
I'd suggest coming to the UK because you speak English and the unwashed masses love that.

However, we've got a lot of bullshit going on ourselves, politically speaking, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. This country's going to hell in a handbasket led by a selfish moron backed by thunderous applause from ignorant fuckwits who whilst stepping out on the streets to cheer "ARE HEROES IN THE NHS" refuse to wear masks to limit the spread of infection.

But yeah, for the most part the UK are welcoming to Americans or at least everything negative I've heard is from some old fart grumbling about turning up late for "the war" or some such.

lol well which one is it?

—

but OP, look into Portugal. I hear the visa process is relatively simple and quicker than some. also, don't listen to the people who are talking out of their ass when they say covid is restricting you. most countries have some sort of quarantine period put in place for travelers, nothing out of the ordinary. while it will limit some of your choices, it's not stopping you completely.

just google their travel requirements when you think of a place you'd go

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Brazil, but if you want to avoid terrible presidents you shouldn't come here lol

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few members of parliament in Australia who follow Qanon members. We have large amounts of racist people, an evangelical prime minister and no plan for climate change.

There are also plenty of places that are amazing filled with amazing people...just like America..

So basically I'd recommend Americans...move to America. Just not one of the shit bits. Another four years of Trump? Conservative court? Yeah that will make some places completely unliveable. But those places are going to just get worse and worse anyway.

Kind of bleak and defeatist, but if it is driven by a bleak defeat then it is what it is.