• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Out of nowhere lol I'm downloading it. Hope they fixed all the bugs from the PC version and the game is actually good (unlike the previous entries)

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Sweet, I'll check it out. I liked the first two (first and second encounter). Had a blast playing them at lan parties. I kind of trailed off after that. Not sure the games really work for me as a single player experience.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
There is a setting for graphics and performance on Series X but all it says is performance will run better but nothing really more.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
I got confused for a minute when seen the game on new adds lol since i dont remember seeing any info about being released

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Serious Sam 4 is actually a prequel to Serious Sam 3 correct? We still haven't seen what Mental actually looks like right?

I remember seeing reviews of the game when it first came out, but I don't recall them being all that positive. I wasn't really fan of SS3, and the general artstyle beyond the HD remakes of the first and second encounter hasn't really been my cup of tea either.

I'd still be interested in hearing updated impressions of the game. I really want the Serious Sam franchise make a definitive comeback...and finally let the player fight Mental.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good summary out there of what's changed since launch (and what may no longer be the case from the initial reviews)?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Serious Sam 4 is actually a prequel to Serious Sam 3 correct? We still haven't seen what Mental actually looks like right?

I remember seeing reviews of the game when it first came out, but I don't recall them being all that positive. I wasn't really fan of SS3, and the general artstyle beyond the HD remakes of the first and second encounter hasn't really been my cup of tea either.

I'd still be interested in hearing updated impressions of the game. I really want the Serious Sam franchise make a definitive comeback...and finally let the player fight Mental.
Bought the game on Launch and refunded it. Massive SS fan, waited years since SS3, game is dogshirt. SS3 was bearable with heavy campaign altering mods and multiple QoL mods, SS4 isn't fixable at all. Just keep playing SSFE/SE and act like the series ended there. Maybe wait the 10 years for Talos Principle if the same writers are back too.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Played the first chapter. There are dips in performance mode with some texture issues but nothing too crazy. I had to turn the camera and gun bobbing down by half. It was way too much.

Deleted member 79058

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Man it runs like poopoo on Series S. Hope ElAnalistaDeBits try the game soon. Played the first level and it's kinda fun, but it's probably gonna lose its novelty soon like all SS games for me

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Played and beat it on Stadia. Really enjoyed the game. Basic Serious Sam fanfare but I enjoyed the previous games and felt this was a definite improvement from 3.

Deleted member 79058

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Starting it up now on Series S... I see there's a performance mode so I'll try that.

It's the one I used. In the prologue it definitely goes under 30FPS, but that's okay since it's more of a showcase than actual gameplay. On the first level it stays between 30 and 60 depending on how many enemies are on screen. Game is quite playable though

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to download this on PC GP then saw the reviews, yeesh. I'm all about retro shooters and loved the og SS but it doesn't seem like this is very good.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020

Ther...there's a story narrative in Serious Sam?!

I only played the first one back on PC when the disc came in some like cereal box or some shit lol. Was dumb fun though!

Will DL for funsies

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I've been waiting for a sale but this is even better. I've heard not so great things though which is a shame.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Ther...there's a story narrative in Serious Sam?!

I only played the first one back on PC when the disc came in some like cereal box or some shit lol. Was dumb fun though!

Will DL for funsies

There is an extremely barebones story. the big bad is named Mental and we haven't seen or fought him in five games (I'm including Serious Sam 2). The order of story chronology in the franchise, I believe, goes like this: Serious Sam 4, Serious Sam 3, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 2.

Last edited:

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
There is an extremely barebones story. the big bad is named Mental and we haven't seen or fought him in five games (I'm including Serious Sam 2). The order of story chronology in the franchise, I believe, goes like this: Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 4, Serious Sam 3, Serious Sam 2.
Oh neat!

Kinda excited to play now.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Nice ! I was looking for another mindless shooter after having finished "my friend Pedro" yesterday. Perfect timing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sure gives VRR a workout on XSX. Can tell it's fluctuating between 40-60fps at all times in either mode, as often more towards the lower end, but luckily no judder thanks to the VRR, can imagine it being a nightmare without VRR though! Resolution seems 1440p at best, probably lower.

Has some advantages over the PC version though, less texture pop-in and stutter. Edit: Just tried latest PC version and the texture pop-in and stutter is fixed there too. Improved a lot since I played it at launch.

So this game is jank but it's also fun IMHO, with some interesting old school level design with lots of secret areas etc. It's not trying to be anything it isn't, if you just want to shoot a load of shit mindlessly then this will let you do that. I had a fun time with it.

Last edited:

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Never? What?

Stadia Exclusivity Will Keep Serious Sam 4 Off PS4 And Xbox Until 2021

"The game is still coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after its period of exclusivity is over with Stadia," a rep for publisher Devolver Digital told Kotaku over email, adding that those consoles won't receive Serious Sam 4 until 2021 after further inquiry.

Only thing that changed being how it became current gen only, but yeah, console ports were announced quite a while ago.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Shadow drops in the summer are great.

Shadow drops for a shooter the day before Halo infinite campaign launches (and while cod and bf are still in their launch periods)...? Ouch!

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Nice stealth drop.
I used to love Serious Sam 1 /2, and we played 3 a bunch in coop at LANs.

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Game seems good to me but it's ruined by the horrible performance, even on Series X. There are frame rate drops everywhere and it's especially notable in the more open, larger environments. I hope they can improve the frame rate, but seeing as how this is game is over one year old, I don't know if they would do that. Very disappointed, as Serious Sam is one of my favorite franchises. I wonder why it's running so poorly. I'm going to hold off on playing any further, in the hopes they can somehow improve performance via a future patch.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Game seems good to me but it's ruined by the horrible performance, even on Series X. There are frame rate drops everywhere and it's especially notable in the more open, larger environments. I hope they can improve the frame rate, but seeing as how this is game is over one year old, I don't know if they would do that. Very disappointed, as Serious Sam is one of my favorite franchises. I wonder why it's running so poorly. I'm going to hold off on playing any further, in the hopes they can somehow improve performance via a future patch.
The game was already extremely demanding on PC. Croteam's proprietary engine just isn't very optimised sadly. I was never expecting good performance on consoles on that basis. Talos Principal had the same issue, the PS4 port was terrible.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Having a lot of fun with it, my first SS game. Playing on PC, performance does take a hit sometimes but overall it's nothing I can't stand. Completed 3 chapters, will definitely finish it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Croteam don't seem to care too much about console ports. They're always the bare minimum. Which is unfortunate. The port of serious sam on the original Xbox had a lot of love put into it, was that in-house? Think that was where serious Sam arcade mode came from, the best way to play

Oct 27, 2017
The game was already extremely demanding on PC. Croteam's proprietary engine just isn't very optimised sadly. I was never expecting good performance on consoles on that basis. Talos Principal had the same issue, the PS4 port was terrible.

Yup, I tried on PC as well, and yeah, it's very demanding. But my PC is ancient (4770k/1080ti), so it's probably not the best gauge to measure performance. So, I looked on YouTube to see benchmarks on PC, and yeah, looks like you need a beefy PC to get decent performance out of this game.

I wonder if this is simply a case of this is one of those games that's so demanding, that you need a beefy PC to get good performance or if the game is just simply badly optimized on console or a combination of both? In any case, I hope they can improve the performance via a future patch. If they need to lower resolution to get better performance (I wonder what resolution it's running at right now), I will take that. I just want to be able to play this game at a consistent frame rate, as this game is right up my alley. Also, hoping to see Digital Foundry or some other channel on YouTube do a performance review.