• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Surgical mask? You can find it everywhere.

It's pretty common too here in Indonesia, thanks to the air pollution. People also more care about their surroundings when sick nowadays. I usually wear the fabric ones so they're reusable.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Probably going to see them more often here in Australia.

I think it's a good idea especially if you are using public transport.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
If you are woman you don't have think about make-up. Also, as probably said before, it's not just Japan thing. You can spot masks every day in SK and China as well. Given that in SK many use it to cover from yellow dust.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i think it's cool and a good thing they wear them. i wouldn't mind wearing them because some people can be absolutely disgusting. here nobody wears them (UK) and the only people i've seen wear them are tourists. people would look at you like you were an idiot if you wore a mask in public.

i'm the kind of person who constantly carries hand gel in public. i hate using shopping trolleys, touching door handles, or putting my hands on rails, etc. i don't want to be breathing in your rotting breath, smelling your BO, or have you sneeze/cough right beside me.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw them a lot in the Toronto subway.

I'm pretty sure the people wearing them weren't doing it "as a courtesy ".

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, healthy people wear these? Not sick people? That only makes me think they're even weirder than I did before.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I see a handful every now and again in the downtown core, especially when commuting around (subway, streetcar, etc) in Toronto.
I always assumed people were doing it to avoid other people's germs/getting sick

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Reasons for why people wear these masks in Japan include:
- To prevent people around you from catching the cold you have
- To prevent others from infecting you with cold or other air born diseases
- Because they didn't bother making up
- Because they don't want pick up artists and scouts to bother them

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My mother be on that trendsetting business. She asked me once why the Japanese did this, I showed her a video and she went ahead and picked up a slick one to be worn casually. Smart and chic.

it's good practice.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I think they're a fantastic idea and the west should embrace it.

But I ain't being the first person to walk around with some surgical mask looking like an idiot.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I think it is good sense, hence them being used in hospitals. That being said, it doesn't seem to do anything to prevent the mass outbreaks of influenza that break out here several times a year. Still, it must be better than nothing. Hospital waiting rooms, buses, trains, with most of the people wearing masks during cold / flu times just makes sense to me now after 10 years living in Japan. Anything else seems kind of gross. Apart from being courteous by not infecting other people, it also helps to protect you from other people.

I prefer the social side of it though. Over here in Japan, it can also just indicate to others that you are feeling ill / poorly / under the weather / even hung over. It can be used as purely a "leave me alone" time talisman.

Pro mask.

I'll be rocking this on the train.

485654d9c8d09c3899229d5816181063.jpg

I prefer this:

Disposable-Surgical-Non-woven-Cap-Surgeon-Hoods.jpg

Me and the boys avoiding the flu.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I wear them on airplane trips all the time. I don't need everyone else's germs recirculated on me constantly. And it keeps my sinuses from drying out so bad on long flights.

We got lots of different styles that you can buy at the supermarket around here.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's seems like OP addressed it, but to clarify - these masks make sure the wearer doesn't spread their germs. It doesn't protect the wearer from other non-mask wearer's germs.

If you wanna protect yourself from other people's germs, you need a higher certified mask

It's a common misconception. That's why it's called a surgical mask btw lol.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
When I was in Seoul this summer, a lot of young people had regular and fancy masks like this, both in the street and in night clubs. I was told, in the case of clubs, it could be that they are celebs wanting to be somewhat under cover. I've no idea if it's true, but black velvet masks with likely fake diamonds is pretty hot.

Oct 25, 2017
its smart and we should do it but in america its likely because some thick necked cop would go ballistic on someone wearing one for no reason, or youll just have the police called on you for being suspicious

up in Seattle I've seen them become more common over time, which makes sense since people are going to and from tokyo to seattle in the thousands every day

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Hmm, I was under the impression that getting sick and letting it run its course is good for you as your body's immune system strengthens over time that way.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I'm having a hard time finding a vogmask/pollution mask in my area. Would be nice to have one when I'm doing my morning walks

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people where those masks all the time in China. I've never been to Korea but from everything I've seen, it seems like they where it all the time as well.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
"Be careful what you wish for"

Bc of the Corona virus, my local Walgreens now has a section with surgical masks (and on the front it lists reasons to wear it even if you aren't sick so HAH).

So perhaps it'll be more common now after all

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I agree we need more mask culture especially in our big cities where public transit and lots of other situations were you have to be around big groups of people often is part of your everyday routine. I'm in the Bay Area, and it's very slowly starting to catch on more and more. At first it was mostly Asians residents and visitors, but after all the wildfires (which n95 masks were recommended to protect you against the smoke were seen everywhere), and now coronavirus ... you see way more people doing it.

You still see lots of people not giving a fuck, and coughing all over everyone as if they are TRYING to get others sick so they can be a part of their misery. It's an American culture thing (probably lots of other cultures as well) and it rubs me like no other. Consideration for your fellow man is at an all-time low.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
My gf went into tons of businesses while wearing a mask as she was sick and didn't want to spread her germs. No one told us anything.

Privileged area I suppose? There are stores here that actually have signs saying not to cover your face or wear hoods if you enter the store. Probably due to the amount of robberies.

Status
Not open for further replies.