• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Yes, it's loud.

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • Yes, but it's not intrusive.

Votes: 47 5.6%
  • Yes, but only if I'm really pushing the console.

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • No, it's scary quiet.

Votes: 734 87.1%

• Total voters

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
I live in a noisy environment, but even after midnight, when all is silent, I can't hear anything from the console. To be fair, I didn't hear once the Original Xbox One, I did hear the One X and PS4 Pro at those late night sessions. The Series X honestly has impressed me, hardware wise, even coming from the excellent, in my opinion, One X design. It feels premium.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
I've only heard the chime sound when I turn it on. Mind you I haven't put a disk in it yet. All i've played so far are gamepass games. Such an excellent piece of hardware.

OP
OP
Scottoest

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have only heard the disc drive, not the fans.

Yeah, I've only put one disc in my XSX (mostly to check if I had one of the defective ones), but the optical drive makes plent of noise when it's spinning and seeking. No real way around that noise, unfortunately.

Outside of that, the console has literally been sub-ambient volume for me.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize how quiet it ran until my daughter said "is it working?" I didn't understand what she meant at first until she started talking about the previous gen systems being much louder.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Yes but not from normal playing position, only if I get close to it.

Also haven't really pushed it yet. Only played Series X optimised games for a short time so far. Most played game so far is Fallen Order (only One X enhanced) which still expels pretty hot air from top (which is a good thing and expected) but the console does sort of have a bit of a smell to it when close and under a bit of pressure.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get how it's as silent as it is. I put my ear right next to it playing Valhalla and couldn't hear anything.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
If there was no light on the power button, I wouldn't be able to tell it's turned on from any distance greater than about 6 inches.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Would love to hear an example of how loud is loud for the now 9 people who voted "it's loud".

It's eerily quiet. Even pushing it where the One X would kick in fan noise the Series X..nada.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
this is because MS added some kind of sound dampening in the power supply, I'll see if i can find a link or photo to show.
Ah yes, the power of the grey goop.

83rxzj63emz51.jpg

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
A few minutes after booting up a Series X game I get some type of clicking or knocking sound. It's not super loud and so far I'm not concerned about it, but I wish it wasn't happening. It actually takes a good 5 minutes or so to stop making the sound after closing out the game and leaving the system sit on the dashboard. I'm guessing it's somehow related to the fan.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I need to convince myself that the system is actually on because it doesnt make a damn noise.

Only when I boot up a game via disc it spends like 3-4 minutes spinning and you can notice it (its not very loud mind, quieter than a One X). Then it goes back to absolute silence.

It's insane how silent this system is.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
I wouldn't call it dead silent because you can tell when it is powered off vs powered on but man. Even the few times I've "heard" the fan the noise profile is so low it's incredible. And you really do have to be up close to tell.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Whatever the Microsoft hardware team did, they did it amazing well - the Series X is SUPER quiet and cool running. It's frankly an amazing quality of life upgrade over the last few generations.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought mine was making a humming sound while in use. Turns out it was my external HDD. The console is pretty much silent, even after hours of games. The top vents get warm, which is supposed to happen but unless I put my head right next to the console, you would not know it was on.

Pretty amazing tbh.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
It's actually really quite. For real, not like the one x which got really loud contrary to all claims of it being silent. Really impressive.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I thought Valhalla could give stress it at least a little bit, but jesus christ it's totally dead silent

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
It's really quiet. You can hear it if you really try to, but let's see how it's going in a year or so + with real next gen games. Just playing destiny and fallen order right now.
One time I thought it's pretty loud, turned out it was my fridge in the kitchen and not the Xbox lol

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Yes, it is audible, and yes, from a normal sitting distance (2m away from it). But yes, it's still very quiet and imperceptible once you have any sound coming out of TV speakers.

By far the quietest console I had with active cooling. But I don't know how you can pretend that it is "silent". It's just very quiet, which is fantastic enough for me.

May 26, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
I have not heard my Xbox Series X at all. I have been playing a lot of Gears 5 and Black Ops Cold War and have yet to hear the fan. Now when playing Gears 5 the console does get decently warm but cools down within a few minutes or so after playing.

OP
OP
Scottoest

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yes, it is audible, and yes, from a normal sitting distance (2m away from it). But yes, it's still very quiet and imperceptible once you have any sound coming out of TV speakers.

By far the quietest console I had with active cooling. But I don't know how you can pretend that it is "silent". It's just very quiet, which is fantastic enough for me.

We know it isn't LITERALLY silent, which would basically be magic. But the sound the console puts out barely even competes with the ambient noise of a room, and certainly doesn't compete with any actual game - at least in my experience.

Crax

May 21, 2018
Mine is also extremely quiet. I really need to put my ear right up to it to hear it. The PS5's fan I can actually hear. I have both my consoles on my desk and using my PC monitor so I have them pretty close.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I hear it if there's a disc in it.

Once that stops, it's behind my TV and I literally can't hear it in any instance and as I game using headphones I haven't even heard a peep from it.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
silent, my one x would be a little audible but still quiet in menus like codmw but haven't heard anything from sx

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
We know it isn't LITERALLY silent, which would basically be magic. But the sound the console puts out barely even competes with the ambient noise of a room, and certainly doesn't compete with any actual game - at least in my experience.

I agree, It is just weird to me to see so many people say it's "silent". For me it falls under the category "audible, but no intrusive". Just wanted to be specific

OP
OP
Scottoest

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I agree, It is just weird to me to see so many people say it's "silent". For me it falls under the category "audible, but no intrusive". Just wanted to be specific

But the thing is, when I'm sitting in my living room doing anything other than unplugging everything and sitting in a room as silent as I can make it, the Series X actually ISN'T audible to me. If I get right up like a foot away and lisen carefully you can definitely just barely hear the fan moving air, but that's about the most I can say for it.

Just about any background noise of any kind drowns it out - or at least has for me so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Its the quietest bit of hardware ive owned, like if i put my ear to the top i can hear the fan but other than that i forget its on. Turned my pc on last night for the first time since getting the X and wow i really noticed how noisy it is

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Played through all of gears 5 and never heard a peep out of it.

Got the ps5 yesterday and was thinking it was the same until I started COD, and then I heard that low hum noise people have been talking about

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if it's even up and running. Super Silent.

Hardware seems to be amazing, at least so far.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
But the thing is, when I'm sitting in my living room doing anything other than unplugging everything and sitting in a room as silent as I can make it, the Series X actually ISN'T audible to me. If I get right up like a foot away and lisen carefully you can definitely just barely hear the fan moving air, but that's about the most I can say for it.

Just about any background noise of any kind drowns it out - or at least has for me so far.

Well, I can say that when my living room is quiet, I do hear it. It's quiet, it's even quieter than my gaming PC but I am juste sharing what I hear. I am not saying that to troll anyone. Is there something wrong with mine?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I wear headphones habitually (PS4 got me into that) so wouldn't really hear it anyway. However you can definitely hear the disc drive spinning up.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Disc drive can be a bit noisy when first booting and operating, but when it isn't then the console is silent. If I get up close I can hear the fan lightly whooshing.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not yet but I don't think there's anything out there that's really pushing the machine. The only time I can hear anything is if I put my ear to the top of the console and then I can hear the fan happily spinning away.

Also, mine's going to be pretty much a GamePass exclusive machine so I've not used the disc drive yet.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Ok, just tried something : it is really audible when there is a game "suspended" (not Quick Resume, just a game you have running in the background).

If I do actually quit that game, it goes back to being near-silent.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Played through all of gears 5 and never heard a peep out of it.

Got the ps5 yesterday and was thinking it was the same until I started COD, and then I heard that low hum noise people have been talking about

same series X doesn't make a peep and the ps5 hums. Both are still impressively quiet.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Literally only when it installs a game from disc.

It's just silent.