• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Yes, it's loud.

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • Yes, but it's not intrusive.

Votes: 47 5.6%
  • Yes, but only if I'm really pushing the console.

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • No, it's scary quiet.

Votes: 734 87.1%

• Total voters

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Silent. Like, properly silent.

I was a bit worried because I ended up with one of the rare loud One X's (when everyone said how quiet that console was) but this is properly like it's not turned on no matter what game I play.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of once checking the MGS HD disc, not once.

I had to put my ear right up to it to hear anything. It's scary quiet.

Jul 26, 2018
I sometimes put my ear right next to the exhaust to check that the fan still works, otherwise I can't hear it from my couch (4ft) even when the game is muted.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Haven't heard it yet. My PS5 though, has had what I guess is coil whine.

Oct 27, 2017
Device is silent but sadly the UHD drive is LOUD - in that I believe its defective. Lots of reports on reddit of the behavior too, it sounds like GRINDING when a UHD 4K movie is put into it. Will have to wait till stock is available for a swap through Costco where I bought it, semi sours the experience but the gaming part is dead silent. Anyone else run into it?

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
It whispered to me once... "buy a gamepass membershipppp... you won't regret ittttt"

So, I packed it up and sent it back to Amazon cuz that shit is haunted.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
No sound but I didn't think I would be getting a 2 in 1 again with the series X in regards to a damn heater. Shit warms up the room still.

My other issue is stuttering audio on the speakers when I use a head set. Annoying af

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from when a disc is spinning, I can't hear it. It's silent. Fantastic hardware.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
It is whisper quiet for the most part but I do hear the fans kicking in whenever I turn the console on and when I boot up a game.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
I can only hear it when I have the volume very very low, late at night.

But then I have sensitive ears with tinnitus and I can pick up the high pitch hums of things in other rooms if it's quiet enough.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Not when playing games, even with my fucking ear to it. I can very slightly hear a dan when a disc spins. It is by far the quietest console ever. Happy with the PS5 as well but it's louder, and MUUUCH louder reading discs

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I thought I could hear it until I realised someone had left the Wii U on. The Wii U just sitting there was louder than my working XSX

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Silent.I often forget i have it on. Jason ronald and his team are criminally underrated hardware designers because they are insanely good at packing tons of power in a small effecient package.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It make literally no noise. (Except the disc drive starting up).

The one X also was dead quiet, but this is like anti-noise where the room becomes quieter when it turns on or something.
My brother gave me his One X and it's kinda loud on everything but sitting on the menu or Netflix etc. As loud as my OG PS4. Maybe it needs new paste.

Yeah, when my brother got his that's the first thing I noticed, it was practically silent.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I sat right in front of it last night and if there wasn't a light on, it would seem like I was just streaming on the tv. It's wild.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've been fortunate enough to have been testing the X for over 6 months before release, and even with earlier hardware revs, where you expect things aren't final, it never, ever made any noise during operation.

spooky-good engineering

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Haven't heard a noise at all but I also haven't used a disc, whereas my ps5 is mostly quiet except for when using a disc where it sounds terrible during the initial read and a slight coil whine when pushed.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'm all digital so I don't hear the thing at all. Sometimes I just put my hand over it to make sure the fan is spinning.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The disk drive vibrates the table I have it on so that comes across as loud, but once it stops it's insanely quiet.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure the only noise I'm hearing is from my external HDD. I think there were two or three people in the Series X|S OT who said that it gets loud during Gears 5, but I downloaded it specifically to test the noise, and it was as quiet playing Gears 5 as it is when I play a 2D game.

Edit: For the test, I only played through the first campaign level. The Gears 5 MP doesn't interest me at all, so I have no idea if that would have made a difference in the noise output. Also, my TV can't do 120Hz, though that probably wouldn't have made a difference in this case.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm pretty sure the only noise I'm hearing is from my external HDD. I think there were two or three people in the Series X|S OT who said that it gets loud during Gears 5, but I downloaded it specifically to test the noise, and it was as quiet playing Gears 5 as it is when I play a 2D game.

Edit: For the test, I only played through the first campaign level. The Gears 5 MP doesn't interest me at all, so I have no idea if that would have made a difference in the noise output. Also, my TV can't do 120Hz, though that probably wouldn't have made a difference in this case.

That's my case, Gears 5 gets the fan going, nothing too major but I can hear it.

Also can hear it in complete silence, but I don't notice it when playing at all, I'm mostly by myself and my house and neighborhood are pretty quiet.

I should test it standing up, I have it in my entertainment center, exactly when my One X was, the top has enough space to let the hot air out, but the whole enclosure is warm all the time.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I can hear it if I literally put my ear up to the top where the fan is, but in normal use it's effectively silent. Even the beep it makes when you turn it on is quieter than the XB1X's beep. That boi is QUIET.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no I only hear my external mechanical HDD beside it, had to hold my hand above the XSX chimney to check if it actually pushed any air at all out, it did and after that I calmed down.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Same as the PS5. Have not heard a single fan but the disc drive is loud as hell when it's in the vertical position on my desk. The vibration was crazy but I don't give a shit about that because once a game is installed its SILENCIO!

For funzies I do stick my hand on top every now and then to feel the heat!