• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
elbageluno

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Spyro 1 is a bit more of a subtle answer, but compared to the livelier, busier sequels, the first game really captured a distinctly desolate atmosphere. The lonely feeling of fending for yourself in these abstract, harsh environments was lost in the sequel games once they inserted NPCs and narratives. It wasn't worse off for it, but it lost a very flavor that along with Copeland's soundrack made for a unique adventure.

I agree that Spyro 1 has a different feel, but I wouldnt call it desolate or the world "harsh." Spyro 2 and 3 are like straight up saturday morning cartoons, where as 1 is like more of an old Don Bluth-ish kinda thing.

OP
OP
elbageluno

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Saints row.

And it only kept getting more and more meta 🤣

Manhunt

The first game was such a great survival horror game that gave a purpose to the kills. Could've been better thought out but nothing is perfect.

The second is merely for shock value and has aged poorly when addressing mental illnesses. Not to mention half of the game is gunplay which completely misunderstands and belittles what built the tension in the first game.

Yea Manhunt 2 sucks. Would still love a 3rd though.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro 1 is a bit more of a subtle answer, but compared to the livelier, busier sequels, the first game really captured a distinctly desolate atmosphere. The lonely feeling of fending for yourself in these abstract, harsh environments was lost in the sequel games once they inserted NPCs and narratives. It wasn't worse off for it, but it lost a very flavor that along with Copeland's soundrack made for a unique adventure.

I played Spyro 1 recently and loved it but couldn't get through Spyro 2. The simplicity of the first game really worked in its favor.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
DMC is the first one that came to mind. It's such a cool game because you can still see a lot of the traces from when it was an RE game earlier in development. In a way, it's kind of a missing link from RE to what the DMC series ultimately became with DMC3.

Jak & Daxter and Quake are two other pretty obvious ones. In both cases, I much preferred the respective styles of the original games.

Smash Bros.

Smash 64 has something of a cheap, Friday night PPV feel to it, probably owing to the game's low budget, but that's what gives it its unique charm.

Melee onwards really lean into the epic crossover/video game museum angle (which is still great! No other series does it like Smash), so 64's intentionally small scale kind of stands out.
I like this as well, good call. The original very much has its own feel apart from the others, and I think it does owe to the small scale that you touched on. There's also a thoughtfulness to the design of the first game's stages that isn't as prevalent in the later games, where they often lean towards being either too straightforward or too over-the-top and busy. I'm always a little extra excited when playing w/ random stage selection and a Smash 64 stage comes up.

Uncharted tends to feel different from the rest since it all takes place in the same area (with the exception of the brief intro). It wasn't until the sequel that the series found its identity as a globetrotting adventure with big set pieces.
This is a good call too. ND really "figured out" Uncharted with the second game (tbh, it's kinda why I would have much rather seen them remake Uncharted 1 than TLOU1, but it is what it is...).

Oct 30, 2017
Unreal. The first one has a legit and lengthy single player campaign with sci-fi, horror and exploration elements. It's not Half-Life but it's waaaay different from its multiplayer focused sequels.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to articulate exactly how, but the first WarioWare game feels incredibly different to every other game in the series to me except MAYBE the GameCube one (which barely counts).

They all do weird and funny shit but something about the first game still stands out to me, in a good way. Love the whole series though.

OP
OP
elbageluno

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
DMC is the first one that came to mind. It's such a cool game because you can still see a lot of the traces from when it was an RE game earlier in development. In a way, it's kind of a missing link from RE to what the DMC series ultimately became with DMC3.

Jak & Daxter and Quake are two other pretty obvious ones. In both cases, I much preferred the respective styles of the original games.

I like this as well, good call. The original very much has its own feel apart from the others, and I think it does owe to the small scale that you touched on. There's also a thoughtfulness to the design of the first game's stages that isn't as prevalent in the later games, where they often lean towards being either too straightforward or too over-the-top and busy. I'm always a little extra excited when playing w/ random stage selection and a Smash 64 stage comes up.

This is a good call too. ND really "figured out" Uncharted with the second game (tbh, it's kinda why I would have much rather seen them remake Uncharted 1 than TLOU1, but it is what it is...).

Yes, Quake 1 is definitely my favorite as well. I hope a potential new Quake game (by Machine Games? please) will give us a current gen version of the Quake 1 aesthetic, that would be insane.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Mario Party 1 felt especially brutal compared to any of the sequels. The sense of absolute dread when you're chosen for Bash n' Cash.. There's no limit to how many coins they can take from you. Or getting grabbed in Crane Game and desperately mashing A so they don't steal 1/3 of your coins. In the sequels you don't lose coins in minigames. (and then there's the palm-eroding stick spinning mini-games.)
BashnCashMP1.png

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... I'll say it:

Pokemon.

I know Gen Wunner's is a thing, but it's gotta be a stereotype for a reason.

Gen 1 for Pokemon had a ton of problems. Type Balance, Type Combos, Pokemon Diversity, just straight up bugs in the code that broke the game.

And yet, something about that game really feels like the easiest to go back and play multiple times.

I try to replay Gen 2, but the XP grind is such a pain, and the Dark type is scarce AF.

I try to replay Gen 3, but then seeing all these different pokemon with new stat combos that work in direct contradiction to their type attack type. Not to mention the stupid amount of HMs you need to move about the map.

I try to replay Gen 4, but the available pokemon pre-e4 feels like such a small pool that I use the same team every time and get bored.

I try to replay Gen 5... and this one works pretty well actually, somehow Black and White AND Black2 and White2 are enjoyable experiences. I have little to comlpain about here.

I try to replay Gen 6... and I actually feel like I'm restricted to only looking for pokemon who can mega evolve, which cuts the options down to like 5% of the pokedex.

I try to replay Gen 7... and honestly, the cheesy nonstop dialogue just keeps me from playing the game so much that I struggle to keep motivation.

I try to replay Gen 8... Well... I'll be honest, I never finished Gen 8. After all this time, I'm finally admitting that pokemon just doesn't seem to work for me any more.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Mario Party 1 felt especially brutal compared to any of the sequels. The sense of absolute dread when you're chosen for Bash n' Cash.. There's no limit to how many coins they can take from you. Or getting grabbed in Crane Game and desperately mashing A so they don't steal 1/3 of your coins. In the sequels you don't lose coins in minigames. (and then there's the palm-eroding stick spinning mini-games.)
BashnCashMP1.png
Mario Party 1 definitely had an air of nastiness to it that the sequels didn't have. At the end of every game, there would be a clip of the losers getting their asses kicked in some way.

I actually kinda liked the tone

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any games in the series beyond the first game of the reboot, but from what I've played no other game in the series has captured the desolate atmosphere of the original Tomb Raider game.

NeonDelta

Sep 29, 2020
not from the first game but Star fox 64 to Star fox Adventures. should have kept it as dinosaur planet and separate from Star Fox.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like this is the case with almost every franchise ever.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I'll also add the first Tomb Raider game vs. all the others. The first one is so much less combat focused, especially humans, and feels a lot more isolated. I still love the entire 1 through 4 series but man, the first one is really special to me. It's such a massively atmospheric game.
Weirdly enough, I think this also applies to the reboot trilogy. Neither Rise nor Shadow managed to fully capture (or seem to understand) what made the 2013 game good. They built off all the wrong elements.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm surprised you didn't mention the DKC games considering your avatar, OP. :p

DKC1 was a pretty different feeling game than 2 or 3. The first one had a more naturalistic vibe to it while DKC2 had the whole pirate motif thing going on.

DKC3 was a bit closer to the vibe DKC1 was going for, but it still wasn't quite the same. It was a very weird game. I love how all the games differed so much from each other. Made each game stand out more and kept the series from feeling stagnant.

StargazerXL

Jun 11, 2018
I'm surprised Prince of Persia has yet to come up, especially the sharp change in tone between playful The Sands of Time and grimdark Warrior Within.

Holy smokes - those games are almost 20 years old! :-/

StargazerXL

Jun 11, 2018
I haven't played any games in the series beyond the first game of the reboot, but from what I've played no other game in the series has captured the desolate atmosphere of the original Tomb Raider game.

Oddly enough, I felt the tone that made the first Tomb Raider so great change to a far more action-y vibe during Tomb Raider 2. The change was so noticeable and disappointing I never did play Tomb Raider 3, etc.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pikmin to Pikmin 2. Went from a game of survival and strategic planning and encouraged replays to a game where you take your time and explore at your leisure, also here are these repetitive, boring caves made to stress me out and waste my time! I vastly prefer Pikmin 1, but the Piklopedia was a good idea.

Luigi's Mansion to Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon. Explore a single big mansion vs. run in and out of smaller mansions multiple times in separate "stages" as if they're worlds in a traditional Mario game. I prefer LM1, but I liked the multiplayer in LM2.

Secret Bambino

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Mar 21, 2021
Persona

Even the PSP remake has a different tone:

As you can assume, the PSP remake came out after the success of P3 and P4. I personally prefer the more modern tone of 3, 4, and 5.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Pikmin to Pikmin 2. Went from a game of survival and strategic planning and encouraged replays to a game where you take your time and explore at your leisure, also here are these repetitive, boring caves made to stress me out and waste my time! I vastly prefer Pikmin 1, but the Piklopedia was a good idea.

Luigi's Mansion to Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon. Explore a single big mansion vs. run in and out of smaller mansions multiple times in separate "stages" as if they're worlds in a traditional Mario game. I prefer LM1, but I liked the multiplayer in LM2.

An addition to LM1 is that it felt at least a little scary. The portrait ghosts, the dust and cobwebs, the decay, everything seeming lived in, plus the secrets, all gave it a dirty edge that I don't think the sequels pulled off. They second and third game feel too clean.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Bros.

Smash 64 has something of a cheap, Friday night PPV feel to it, probably owing to the game's low budget, but that's what gives it its unique charm.

Melee onwards really lean into the epic crossover/video game museum angle (which is still great! No other series does it like Smash), so 64's intentionally small scale kind of stands out.
I like this answer.

I honestly think Donkey Kong Country is the easy winner here.

Both games are excellent, but DKC2 has a very different "feel" to the way its presented. It's kind of hard to put my finger on it, but those who know know.
I think it's obvious. The atmosphere surrounding DKC2 was very sinister. Once you got past the first world on the ship, things started getting creepy. There were a few creepy things in the latter stages of DKC1, but DKC2 was on another level. I was legitimately scared to play the game as a kid.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are like night and day. As a 5-year old kid with Super Mario World as my only frame of reference, I didn't believe SML1 was actually a Mario game and that feeling never left. I always felt like some kind of cheap knock-off. Even the goombas and koopas looked weird.

Whereas SML2 felt like a Mario game the moment I started it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
An addition to LM1 is that it felt at least a little scary. The portrait ghosts, the dust and cobwebs, the decay, everything seeming lived in, plus the secrets, all gave it a dirty edge that I don't think the sequels pulled off. They second and third game feel too clean.
Yeah, I forgot to mention the portrait ghosts. Went from literally having deceased humans, or close to human, to having only cartoon blob ghosts.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are like night and day. As a 5-year old kid with Super Mario World as my only frame of reference, I didn't believe SML1 was actually a Mario game and that feeling never left. I always felt like some kind of cheap knock-off. Even the goombas and koopas looked weird.

Whereas SML2 felt like a Mario game the moment I started it.
I loved SML1, but yeah, same here. Koopas replaced with exploding turtles, worlds with bouncing vampires, submarines, airplanes, even back then when Mario's identity wasn't quite as pronounced in the brand, it still felt like an outlier.

Soundtrack was a banger, though. That song from the above-water levels is just free serotonin.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno if it particularly "qualifies" since the 2013 game was a reboot but Shadow Warrior had the strange journey of being a 90s shooter in the vein of duke nukem where it was a good game but terribly problematic.

and then the 2013 game was (rightfully so) much different, then the second game was a take on the loot shooter craze, then the third some budget store knockoff of doom eternal that kind of ignores what came before, though you can argue it is the true successor to the 2013 game i guess

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect the Thread

None of the post-ME1 games quite managed to achieve the same epic vibe.
Mass Effect 3 almost got there, but the sense of real scale had been lost for years at that point and the game's own flaws did a lot of damage to the aforementioned vibe that the game did reasonably try at least to build.

I'll always appreciate Mass Effect 2 and 3, but my playthrough of the entire trilogy last year was the first time I had ever played Mass Effect past Eden Prime, and I was kind of shocked to find that, in the end, Mass Effect 1 is my favorite game of the three. It just scratches that immersive sci fi RPG itch in so many ways that its sequels do not, even if the sequels are interesting in their own right and definitely have their own unique and cool identities.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain was way grittier, darker and moodier than the sequel.

Yep. BO was a Zelda clone with a dark gothic atmosphere and loads of horror and gore.

Soul reaver was a 3D action adventure.

The series was more or less kitbashed together by converting entirely different games into the various entries.

Soul reaver was originally shifter
Blood omen 2 was Chakan the forver man (Dreamcast).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I loved SML1, but yeah, same here. Koopas replaced with exploding turtles, worlds with bouncing vampires, submarines, airplanes, even back then when Mario's identity wasn't quite as pronounced in the brand, it still felt like an outlier.

Soundtrack was a banger, though. That song from the above-water levels is just free serotonin.
You only had to mention that song to get it stuck in my head again, sound effects included, haha. Bad first impression aside, I still played the shit out of that game. Looking back on it now I can definitely appreciate it more. The areas themselves were quite atmospheric and unique.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
I always felt Gears of War had a different feel and tone compared to the rest of the series. I miss that horror war documentary feel that it was going for. And the whole controversy surrounding Marcus is quickly dropped.