• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Series S

• Yay

Votes: 665 66.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 337 33.6%

• Total voters

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
series S is going to get left in the dust the moment cross gen games stop being made, wait to grab a series X instead

d-rek

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not super picky when it comes to 4K/HDR graphical modes so take what I say with a grain of salt. My console combo is a PS5 and Series S. I get all the nice 4K stuff with the PS5 and the unlimited Game Pass advantage with the Series S.

Sure, the Series X is way more powerful and can be better for backwards compatibility but the Series S works perfectly fine in my case. I'd check those compatibility lists posted and see if it'll work out for you.

Whatever you do end up getting, let me just say that Quick Resume is such a game changer.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I have a Series S (and a PS5). I have it hooked up to a 1080p TV in the basement so don't really care about 4K. My daughter uses it most of the time to play Paw Patrol games. It's a nice little machine though. Honestly, games still look pretty good at 1080P.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you know you want Series X but considering S only because of current availability problems? So just wait for better availability and get Series X. You'll be glad you waited and got exactly what you wanted, instead of second guessing your S purchase every time you use it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
If you already have a PS5 or a good gaming PC, the Series S seems like a sweet deal for backwards compatibility and game pass. If you can afford and find an X, I guess that would be a more future proof option.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
It was really cool at first but playing games like Destiny 2 was kinda painful with how weird the game looked. It was kind of pixelated and had very obvious very low settings.

Gamepass was fun but it kinda had the same issues I had with PSNow where it has a ton of games that I don't care about playing though that might have improved by now.

Storage is also super tiny so I couldn't even keep many games from GamePass but I assume cloud gaming is available now so maybe that'd help alleviate it depending on your connection.

BC compatibility was cool but at least when I had one it was essentially running like a nicer One S version... Which wasn't very ideal.

I ended up selling but it's a nice novelty side console if you want Xbox stuff. I had fun with Halo collection for a bit.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got a brand new Series S shortly after christmas for 212€ s a second console besides the PS5.

I have fun with it and Gamepass and it was quite cheap. Still, I notice the cut corners a lot.
The resolution is really low at times and everything looks pixelated compared to my PS5. Also, at worst I can only fit 3 of the games I want to play on the SSD.

After all the positive posts on this forum I expected way more.

The form factor is great though and I wouldn't be able to fit some other console in that room instead anyway.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
get x, the extra hardware you get for the price difference is absurd.
forgetting all the performance delta, just the ssd difference is enough to go for X i think.
its a digital only console with only 360gb usable space.
and if you later decide to go for those memory cards, you will already be at series x price range.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
my biggest fear picking up a series s was once we get further into this gen, theres just gonna be a point where games, like control or cyberpunk last gen, push the consoles to the absolute limit and i don't even want to know what the series s version is gonna look like at that point if ps5 and xsx are struggling. maybe if you dont mind getting a midgen refresh, it should be ok for awhile in that case.

i just held out for a series x and have been loving it so far.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Series S paired with Game Pass is an excellent little console.

If you have the money though, and truly want a Series X. I think you'll be surprised how much Game Pass might affect your gaming and purchasing habits. You might end up playing more than you think on Xbox. I'd reccomend watching Craigslist in your area. Prices are down on CL in my area. You might be able to get one for not a lot over retail price.

Or, get a Series S now, then sell it when you find a Series X. It's super easy to transfer from one Xbox to another, since all your saves are seamlessly in the cloud.

Oct 27, 2017
I love mine but I do not pay for any Xbox games aside from game pass. If you have a good used game market here you can get older 360 games physical I'd say Xbox one used or series X when you have the time

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
My nephew has one and he's happy with it. He doesn't have a 4k TV and the little console is perfect for his needs.

Oct 28, 2017
I also wanted a Series X and couldn't find one. So I took the $500 I was going to spend added $125 and got a Series S and a 1440p 27" gaming monitor and I have never looked back.

I love it.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I think if you want a Series X, you should wait until you can get one. Whenever I've bought the "lesser" tech product, be it one with less memory, less ram, or the smaller screen size, I've always regretted it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I got to admit, I have a Series X right now and I feel like I'm not getting much out of the extra $250. The difference between the two is so insignificant that I think I would have been just as satisfied with a Series S. I'll likely change my mind when Starfield and other proper current gen games come out but that's my take on it now. I guess it depends on how much you are looking forward to those games then?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Nay. Do you have other platforms you can play for the time being? If so, then patiently wait for a Series X to be available, it's worth it (and comes with 1TB).

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I bought one after giving up on finding an X and regret. Definitely does not feel like like a "next-gen" console. There's games that look better on the One X, including a lot of BC games. The first two games I played were Doom Eternal, which looked pretty bad compared to how I remembered it on OneX, and Forza Horizon 5, which doesn't look bad but not impressive either.

Personally I find it a pretty shitty value too. It's cheaper, but I'm constantly annoyed at the small hard drive, if your budget conscious it's very nice to be able to buy physical games on sale, and the X plays 4K BluRays. Add on that it's way more powerful and that's a lot of value for $200, especially for something you'll be using for years.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Series X offers the best experience in console gaming. If that interests you and you can afford it don't settle for the S. If you don't really give a shit and just want the cheapest Game Pass machine go ahead and grab one.

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
I got a series s because of game pass and my son and I very much enjoy it. I do notice the lower graphics on some games (why is DQXI look so awful my pc with rx580 can max it to 60fps).

I'm getting a new tv next and I plan on moving the series s in the bedroom once I get a ps5 and series x.

Oct 25, 2017
Got it for "free" by trading in some old junk but I really like it. It's the bedroom Xbox and does the job as a secondary console. It's awesome for travelling (lol remember that?) though

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd say do what feels right for your situation. Personally I'd rather pay the extra cash for the more powerful hardware in the Series X (even if I don't have the display to take full advantage of that power currently, I'd at least like to think I will in the next year or 2, and I'd much rather have an X for that), and I'm ok with waiting on the stock situation (and following folks on Twitter for stock availability). But if you want a console sooner and the Series S is easier to find, not unreasonable to go for it.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Series S + GPU 3 yr conversion trick = pays for itself tbh

If you also have a PS5/PC you can play the "bombastic graphics" stuff on there and use the Series S for GP stuff/BC

I have a XSX and PS5 and the last couple of games I played on my XSX were Max Payne 3 and Unpacking.
A series S would have been good enough for me in hindsight.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you've already got a PS5 then it's perfect. Big yay.

I picked one up alongside my PS5 and Series X (in another room) and it's a fantastic little console for the price. Just a mini Series X. Go wild.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
My first vote was 'yay' its a great little machine, but then I changed it to 'nay' after I read, that you were thinking of a Series X.
You really should get the Series X and by now, they are quite easy to come by.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given your stated use case I'd say go for it. I'd HIGHLY reccomend getting an external HDD to put Xbox One and 360 games on though to save on board space for Series X|S games.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I can go into a store and buy a series S. I have to wonder, do people or scalpers not care enough to sell out stock?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I can go into a store and buy a series S. I have to wonder, do people or scalpers not care enough to sell out stock?

Yeah, it's pretty interesting that the S has been available everywhere here in Germany since launch.
XSX isn't as hard to find as PS5s but you need to look hard.
I guess most people care more about the disc drive and the extra power than the 200€ (+X) in savings tbh.

Since a console will last you ca. 7 years, that extra 200€ is even less of a factor for many I guess.

EDIT:
Series S is actually on sale for 269€ On AmazonDE wow

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
I could not find a series X without buying from scalpers at 700-800 euros for 2 months so I bought a series S instead.
I am very happy with the purchase. I do not regret it at all.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's best you list the games you will like to play in a year. Game Pass gives you access to games but if you don't like playing them, what's the point?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
If you can then obviously a Series X but all Xbox games will be supported on S and will be probably be well optimized as well. I got a S as a side console to the PS5 and it's been great. I'd highly recommend that lil console any day.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I'll be curious to see how the Series S holds up throughout this gen. Probably just fine at Microsoft's insistence on supporting the lower end market, but I have a feeling the compromises will get more severe as this gen gets more demanding.

In your situation, since I care about 4K and getting the best graphics I can, I'd hold out for an X. But if you're not too worried about either (and especially the latter), I'd just try the S.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a PlayStation/PS5 primary with PlayStation friends. I got a series X for fun.

I wouldn't, quite yet, and I wouldn't get an S, the storage size is too low and the GPU isn't really better than a PS4 Pro. Terrible value against the PS5 digital in terms of hardware.

The first thing that hits you is how much replication of what you already have is.

As for exclusives… MS flight sim is a cool novelty for 20 minutes to an hour. Gears of war is ok. Psychonauts 2 is cool. Halo Infiite multiplayer is fun. Forza Horizon - I don't get the appeal, and I love racing games.

There seems to be cool stuff coming but it seems to be largely late 2022 and 2023 before that happens. I would wait a while personally.

(Still waiting on Age of Empires 4 to come to Xbox, it pains me)

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
I'd say yes. I think you'll be impressed by it.
I certainly am, I got the series x first and wanted a second console to use with the smaller older TV and it looks and performs brilliant on that.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
I'm tempted to buy it, but I have the feeling that games will drop to 720p with unstable 30fps by the end of the gen, so it's a nay.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
As an owner it's a regrettable nay from me but only because 1440p manages to look worse than 1080p on my 4k TV and I don't understand why.

Either way, the neighbouring PS5 is a far more satisfactory visual experience despite already turning into a noisy one.

I do love the form factor and silence of the Series S but I upgraded from a One X and other than the SSD it sometimes feels more like a downgrade.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Do you want a cute affordable console that plays a lot of indie's and older games? The S is for you.
Do you want to play it to play big new triple A releases and play them with all its 60fps and play them in 4K? get the X.

I personally love my Series S since I play all the heavy hitters on my PC and play all the Gamepass libraby on my Series S.