• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I rediscovered the series with 0 after playing Y1 on PS2 and never finishing it.Made me go on a magical 2 year long journey, to play them all, even dusting off the PS3 to get that Yakuza hit. It quickly became my all-time favorite series, by far and now I'm getting to the Spin-offs. Playing Judgement currently, which enjoying so far (up to chapter 3). Y0, Y2K and Y6 are all up there in my GoTG list (0 and 6 top 10 easily) and really liked 3, 4 and 5. Now on to 7 and the new direction.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
This is a quality thread.

26xBBi5IgnYzy3LO0.gif

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Yep, I rediscovered the series with 0 after playing Y1 on PS2 and never finishing it.Made me go on a magical 2 year long journey, to play them all, even dusting off the PS3 to get that Yakuza hit. It quickly became my all-time favorite series, by far and now I'm getting to the Spin-offs. Playing Judgement currently, which enjoying so far (up to chapter 3). Y0, Y2K and Y6 are all up there in my GoTG list (0 and 6 top 10 easily) and really liked 3, 4 and 5. Now on to 7 and the new direction.
Judgment is such a great base to build off of for a second pillar of games. Some of the detective mechanics need a bit of tweaking here or there, but it has the potential to really be just as good as the Yakuza games.

I certainly feel like the writing is right where it needs to be, Judgment really hits that tone of crime thriller mixed with goofy charm.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I still have to finish Fist of the North Star (stopped a few hours in because real life kicked in) and buy the remastered games on PS4 because I have never play 3 but man, do I love myself some Yakuza.

Can't wait for Yakuza 7 and hopefully a new Judgment.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Judgment is such a great base to build off of for a second pillar of games. Some of the detective mechanics need a bit of tweaking here or there, but it has the potential to really be just as good as the Yakuza games.

I certainly feel like the writing is right where it needs to be, Judgment really hits that tone of crime thriller mixed with goofy charm.
Yeah, already getting those vibes, from what is pretty much the opening, not a massive fan of the tailing stuff so far, but seem few and far between and not too long, just a bit boring, but like the other stuff and dialogue options to call BS or just get the important info and I'd be excited to see where it goes in a follow up. Really love Yagami's fighting style too, like if Kiryu's and Akiyama's had a baby. Also It still has the great "oh, shit just got real" moments, which nothing does better and I'm sure they'll get a lot more hype as I get through the game.

No Karaoke was pretty upsetting though.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
WeeklyPresentHake-max-1mb.gif

100% agreed OP. Even if Judgment and FOTNS were kind of pants IMO, every other game was pure quality. I even liked Dead Souls!

Redhood

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
PC Ports of PS3 games when? I have already beaten the 3 games on PC. Come on SEGA step it up. Btw is Kenzan any good?

With how series found its footing on PC maybe Ishin has a chance now?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There aren't many series that could compete with Souls for that title but this is certainly one of them

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The tailing missions better never be in another game ever again.
Not trying to be an edgelord, but the opening acts of Judgment had me wishing the entire game would be 80% tailing/chasing/photography/interrogation.

I loved the initial low key vibe of the game, and was sad to see it get so combat heavy toward the middle and end.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost finished with Kiwami 2's story but I have to play through Majima's next. It's going to be awhile before I head into 3 for the first time.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Great thread, played 0 about two two years ago and was blown away. Need to finish the series, beat Kiwami but Kiwami 2 is calling my name

Oct 27, 2017
I was bored to tears of MS not announcing anything new at their E3s, all I saw was the same old Halos, Forzas and Fables and I was done with 'em. I needed something new to play and Sony's recent troubles (hacking and YLOD, I think) were behind them, and PS+ was killing it with amazing games now being part of the service, so I bought a used PS3 slim and a load of games. Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 were not my cup of tea and left me disappointed. Uncharted 2 (I think it was UC2. Maybe UC1?) I enjoyed. Yakuza 3 I fucking adored. Bought all the games after that, many of them on day 1, which I rarely do now .So yeah, definitely series of the decade for me as well!
Huge thanks to Digitiser (GameCentral?) for talking it up all those years I never had access to it. And to Gio Corsi for helping bring it back to the west.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Red Light District Parking lot

Yakuza in-game

20-Car-park-b-1.jpg

Real Location

20-Car-park-b-2.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Each year I look forward to more Yakuza. It is the first thing I look for Each year. Picking up bikes andd smashing them into some tough guy punks never gets old.

Cant eait to replay 5 next year.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
the games inside the games:

Space Harrier
Fantasy Zone
Out Run
Super Hang-On
Virtua Fighter 2
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On
ToyLets
Boxcelios
Boxcelios 2
Taiko Drum Master
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Puyo Puyo
Fighting Vipers
Motor Raid

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Hmm. Played through Yakuza 6 recently, my first game in this series. I quite enjoyed it, but I feel like half my playtime was spent watching cutscenes that weren't even animated. Other half was a brawler where I just kept doing the same moves. Not sure if I was missing something. Probably gonna pick up the next one though. Love the tone and atmosphere, very wholesome in a way, especially when I was trying to find milk for a crying baby in a sleepy rural town.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
On a whim took a chance on Yakuza 0 back in 2017 after reading so much praise despite not even really knowing what the series was.

I've since beat 0-4 on PS4 (waiting impatiently for 5 to be unlocked in Feb) and i've already bought 6. Will buy Judgment sometime in 2020 when it has a sale.

TLDR: Yakuza is just the best and I love you all.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
It was amazing watching it go from a niche to a beloved series.
I really liked Ishin, I hope it gets an English release eventually.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Somehow, I barely know anything about this series! I have of course heard the name, but I never realized these games were held in such high regard. If I wanted to play one of them for the first time to get the best representation of the series, where should I start? Yakuza 0?

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Red Light District Parking lot

Yakuza in-game

20-Car-park-b-1.jpg

Real Location

20-Car-park-b-2.jpg
That's another thing I love about the series. Other game worlds may be more detailed and granular (ie GTA/RDR's ridiculous little details, Prey's world-building) but few nail that lively density, you-are-here immediacy, and virtual tourism appeal like Yakuza. Kamurocho is one of my favorite settings in the entire medium; walking the streets, the side streets, alleys, and pathways never loses its charm.

Looking forward to see the district change over time as I play through the series

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Somehow, I barely know anything about this series! I have of course heard the name, but I never realized these games were held in such high regard. If I wanted to play one of the for the first time to get the best representation on the series, where should I start? Yakuza 0?
Yakuza 0 is the perfect place to jump in for a newcomer to the series.

It's a prequel, has a really fun gameplay system, and some killer side missions.

Localization is fantastic as well.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow, I barely know anything about this series! I have of course heard the name, but I never realized these games were held in such high regard. If I wanted to play one of the for the first time to get the best representation on the series, where should I start? Yakuza 0?
Yes, start with 0 and go from there. It's the perfect introduction

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Like a Dragon is such a badass title compared to Yakuza. Glad they're pulling a RE7 with Yakuza... 7.

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Tried this on PSNow and left it after encountering multiple game mechanics I found archaic. For example, why must I press a button to eavesdrop on what pedestrians are saying? Pretty sure even GTA3's pedestrians chatted it up without you having to initiate it.

i don't recall the exact installment, but I remember a long prologue that saw you driving a taxi and carting around a crime boss while he related all these problems he was dealing with.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I thought it was meant to be a spin-off and there's going to be an actual Yakuza 7?
Like a Dragon is the name of the series in Japan

the name of the next game in japanese is: Ryū ga Gotoku 7: Hikari to Yami no Yukue, "Like a Dragon 7: Whereabouts of Light and Darkness"

in the west, it's just: Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Currently playing Yakuza Kiwami 2

HE'S THE MAN AS YOU SAW GORO MAJIMA

MAAAAAJIIIIIMAAAA CONSTRUUUUUUUCTION

majimadancing.gif

Dec 23, 2017
I played the original Yakuza 2 , 4 and 5, then I enjoyed the spin-off Yakuza Dead Souls.

I have yet to start Yakuza 0, but I have it on steam. :)

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Yo it's a real shame OP that you didn't include Ishin, which is in my top 3 of the decade for Yakuza. The translation guides out there are pretty good.
Hm. Never played a game with a guide and Yakuza is super dialogueheavy, but the guide looks legit good. Trying to own all of the Yakuzaesque games this gen, maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'll ever have time to experience all 900 hours of Kiryu's Saga, and my life is worse for that

I got through maybe five hours of Y0, and aside from wishing there was more voice acting and less silent text, it was a grand experience. It's just too massive of a commitment to get through.

For now, I'll just have to start fresh with Judgement and Y7.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The two original PS2 games should be in the opening... : |

In fact, Yakuza 2 is sooo good, it makes me a believer.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread, completely agree. Yakuza 3 especially is one of those games that I absolutely adore, yeah I know people have various issues with it, but none of that really matters to me. I love the characters, the music, the setting, the orphanage... Oh and the main villain. 5 still remains my favourite Yakuza game ever though, it just has so much content across 5 characters, and some of my favourite moments in the series (its side content especially is unparalelled in the series).

Also, because the thread is missing some games - the two PSP games especially (Kurohyou 1&2) are great side stories, the second of which is especially excellent with a great story, some legit excellent bosses (note that the combat system is very different to the main game, making boss fights actually vastly better than the main series) and some excellent music. All on a PSP handheld!

Kenzan and Ishin are the other great side games in the series. Kiryu plays at being a samurai. Kenzan is a cool game as it has a nice mix of brand new badass characters, while bringing back Kiryu, Haruka, Date and Majima and it just works, Haruka especially has an incredibly dark story in this one. Ishin takes the basic fanservice idea from Kenzan, but dials it up to 110! They include the grand majority of characters from 1-5 in this game as little cameos (some do far more than others) while also introducing a couple of brand new characters (the head of the Shinsengumi is badass). Ishin is kinda one of my favourites in the series especially in terms of finale - the last few chapters have a series of epic battles and boss fights, topped of with some absolutely amazing music.
It also illustrates what Yakuza does so damn well, even if the plots aren't always the most solid - at the end of the game (and several others, mainline or spinoff) you end up taking on the big bad with the help of the friends you make along the way - in Ishin's case its the heads of the Shinsengumi - Majima (of course), Saejima and Mine - of which Mine is one that I loved throughout the game because he only gets used in Yakuza 3, but here he gets a huge part in the plot, and is a badass throughout. Plus the whole samurai setting for both games is a really nice change of scenery, I really hope this gets translated after the HD remasters as once people play through 1-5 they'd probably appreciate the level of fanservice that Ishin has.

Shame that 80% of the people only know the series for 3 years.

Tell me about it :( Its a pity that a lot of people (including Journos) slept on the series for a decade (from its release on the PS2 to Yakuza 0s release) before even realising just how great the series truly is. Its my most played series ever (I easily have over 1000 hours plugged away into the series, probably way more than that by now) and I'm already insanely hyped for 7's release in a couple of weeks time. Also can't wait to do a replay of Yakuza Kenzan on my PS3, and finally beat Amon, assuming the release schedule is fairly quiet for the series this year, I'll probably get it done at the tail end of the year, though who knows what they could announce at TGS this year...)