• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Megaman X6 for sure. Zero is assumed dead at the end of X5 which is the lead up to the Zero series, but Capcom wanted to make a new X title and they wanted it to have Zero. So this is what happens right. X finds Zero's ghost. He kills it and then suddenly the real Zero appears out of cufking nowhere. He says I "I hid myself while I tried to repair myself." That's it, the explanation you get after watching his emotional sacrifice at the end of X5. It's hinted that maybe a hologram of Dr. Light somehow repaired him because you know, that makes sense. And then Zero goes into hibernation which leads to the events of MMZ. The end. But it's not see because Zero also doesn't go into hibernation in a different ending and that leads to the god awful MMX7. None of this was necessary. There was plenty that Capcom could have built on after X5. X is implied to have quite a bit of shit after Zero's death for the hundred or so years he is gone, do we get any of that though. Nah. I enjoy playing X6 occasionally but fuck that game and it's story.
I'll always be upset that we never got a cyberelf war game. The potential there is just begging to be tapped.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Halo 2
RE4

They both represented fundamental shifts in tone that soured me in their franchises for a long while.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Tales of Symphonia 2 does a big character assassination on the previous main character. The cast of the first game all look like idiots as a result just so the new OC can shine. I'm not too thrilled with the lore they added too.

A ToS sequel had tons of potential too.

This right here -- Lloyd's suddenly now a pervy womanizer? Heeeeeeeell no!

Garbage sequel to a game I cherish; thankfully, I just pretend it doesn't exist -- a state of mind graciously granted by Namco digitally splitting the remasters.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Other M was so terrible story-wise that I kind of just have to pretend it doesn't count

also every time somebody talks about giving another nintendo character like Link full voice acting for the first time, I think of Other M and am just like, "nah, I"m good."

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Metroid: Other M

Specifically because it ruined story focus in Metroid forever. The problem wasn't with focusing on story (the Metroid universe has fantastic lore), it was with absolutely garbage writing and an even worse localization that went for wooden performances mandated by Japanese directors with no idea how English works in real life (IIRC)

It wouldn't save the game itself, but I have to wonder whether a better localization and a redub with believable voice acting would have made the story a little easier to swallow.

As it is, Samus in Other M is basically the spiritual predecessor of MCU Captain Marvel.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Cross. Why did they add content to Chrono Trigger re-releases to tie them together? Why do they need to be tied together? I hate it. Trigger didn't need a sequel. It should stand on its own. It was a simple and balanced story with lovable characters that began and ended satisfyingly. Why ruin that story by tying it to another game that should also stand on its own?
I'll get some flack for it but...

Quoted for truth.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Tales of Xillia 2.

First game was a quite good jrpg, with one of my favorite casts from last gen. The game was rushed and felt unfinished at the end, but I still liked it very much.

2nd one was a disaster, and did a tremendous disservice with the original main cast.

Nov 17, 2017
For me it's Xenoblade 2, but the gameplay was also ruined so it got complicated to the point I'm afraid 1DE could suffer from it.
I guess you're talking about how
Klaus split in two and Zanza is just his evil half? You think they might try to write that stuff into Xenoblade 1 remake?
Yeah, I'm not sure how I'd feel about them doing that. I think they can just leave it as is.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Klaus split in two and Zanza is just his evil half? You think they might try to write that stuff into Xenoblade 1 remake?
Yeah, I'm not sure how I'd feel about them doing that. I think they can just leave it as is.

One thing that really pissed me off was how a lot of people in this very forum were saying that XBC 1 and 2 weren't connected directly, yet that is a very massive connection that ruined the reveal for me in part 1 since I fully completed part 2 despite only being maybe 75% done with part 1, all because of that lie.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Dirge of Cerberus(or just the entire Compilation of FF7) is soooo offensively bad. Always gonna side eye SE for that trash

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross. Why did they add content to Chrono Trigger re-releases to tie them together? Why do they need to be tied together? I hate it. Trigger didn't need a sequel. It should stand on its own. It was a simple and balanced story with lovable characters that began and ended satisfyingly. Why ruin that story by tying it to another game that should also stand on its own?

My biggest issue with Chrono Cross was the story.

"You remember Chrono Trigger? You remember the characters you love? You remember how you worked hard to save the world and time from Lavos? Well forget all of that. All of your heroes are failures! They accomplished nothing in Trigger because they failed and space time ended up in ruins anyway! Enjoy!"

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Starcraft 2 for me. I actually still like it (the core gameplay) but the story and lore went from a 9 to a 3 for me.

I don't know how they even managed to to that. Self sabotage? What were they thinking?

Also: I also disliked what they did to Halo 2, it felt very different to 1 (also looked different, even worse). I know people love it but I can see it as what it is, a result of multiple cuts and constraints. It shows.

Last edited:

Brews

Feb 27, 2020
Italy
Nothing ever deflated my interest for a story like Black Ops 2 did for its'.
Also Assassin's Creed III was such a shitshow.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
While Assassin's Creed III was the culmination of this, it was pretty obvious that Ubisoft had no idea what they wanted to do with the modern day plot and characters (plot threads/characters which I will always maintain were good and interesting at the beginning) as early as Brotherhood, when they
killed off Lucy

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It wouldn't save the game itself, but I have to wonder whether a better localization and a redub with believable voice acting would have made the story a little easier to swallow.

As it is, Samus in Other M is basically the spiritual predecessor of MCU Captain Marvel.
This would only be true if MCU Captain Marvel genuinely insisted that Yon-Rogg was the real hero that Carol should be subservient to and get permission from, and also if Other M was one of Samus's earliest missions ever instead of canonically being her 2nd-to-last so far...

Other M is just... ugh. Better voice acting and localization could have made it marginally more bearable to listen to, but the end result is still insufferably sexist, unhealthy, and degrading. You could cast Jennifer Hale as Samus again and Troy Baker as Adam and it still would really suck.

Jan 4, 2018
Mass Effect 3 ruined Harbinger and the Illusive Man.

Halo 4 and Halo 5 ruined Cortana, the Covenant and Jul Madma.

Resident Evil 7 ruined Chris Redfield.

Jan 4, 2018
Was Harbinger that big of a thing thought? I mean, most of Mass Effect 2 is just filler story, good filler but i just a stop gap to 3.

Harbinger was the leader of the Reapers. He was the oldest and the most powerful of the fleet. He was the main enemy of Shepard. Its hatred toward Shepard in ME2 was very personal.

Then he almost disapears in ME3, goes silent, doesn't destroy the Normandy when he could do so, fails to kill Shepard despite a direct hit in his head with his main weapon and got killed by a ghost child out of nowhere.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Wolfenstein The New Order was amazing. So was The Old Blood. The New Collosus got...weird and I didn't care for the story at all outside of a handful of set piece moments that were pretty cool. Youngblood doesn't exist and nobody can convince me otherwise.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII-2. Because it allowed characters and story to continue from FFXIII, when it should have never been allowed to.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who played the game and both liked it and wished it could be better, I'm curious as to your reasoning.

single word or single title answers are bad and should be avoided in general
I thought Okamiden was an alright thing too. It felt like Okami on a budget so it's not like they could change the setting entirely based on the ending of Okami. Not much about the time traveling plot seems like it even impacts the overall lore as things return to the status quo at the end. Unlike other stories mentioned which dramatically alter the trajectory of the plot at least.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Yes exactly.
I really saw that part as lazy quick writing in the same way the game had to be "rushed", having the worst performance and needing tons of updates.
There was no need to link both stories and I think the game's story would have worked better if it really tried 100% its own thing.
Mechas felt conpletely unnecessary for the first time.
So I kind of hope it was a one time thing and that it's going to stay as an important part.

But in the end I could have swallowed it more easily if it had the gameplay of 1 or X. Musics were not enough. Also, the characters were almost all jokes, in the litteral sense, as if we had 3 or 4 rikis, 3 to 5 Tatsu in the group.
And as much as one can lighten the mood, it was too much for me.
The villains looked like a more interesting group to follow. Or at least, less annoying.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

Mind you, the game was not necessarily bad. I would argue that more work was put into it than many entries in this topic.

Thing is, it doesn't handle a candle to the GBA games, and now I'm afraid the series is deader than dead.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always thought it was super bizarre that Bionic Commando 2009 made Super Joe - the hero of the original Commando and the guy you rescue in the first BC game - the villain.

Then again, the plot is bonkers regardless. (Great game mechanically however)

May 26, 2018
This part was hilariously forced.

It did lead to some great shopped images of MGS3 though, so I can't hate it.

tC3UALv.png

K4bDYGx.png

CwThmTp.png

6az1vkp.png

jJnvCHq.png

MacsySt.png

z3lPj6Z.png

6fGBrDa.png

Jun 26, 2018
Game's not out yet, but the fact that TLOU2 is a continuation, and some of the things Neil Druckmann has said about how the plot connects to the first game, has already ruined the first game for me.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
All things considered, i'm still not a big fan of Old Snake in MGS4. There was just too much there that just wasn't to my liking for what is one of my favorite characters of all time. Thankfully that version of snake isn't the poster boy of his iconic status so it's not too bad.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
all I see are hot takes for the sake of hot takes and putting controversial opinions just for attention's sake.

Except for Halo 4. Fuck Halo post-Reach