• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
th

You can't bet perfection with the first one.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Spider-Man 2 looks considerably worse than Spider-Man. Which is understandable considering it was open-world and Spider-Man wasn't.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The second game looks a little too clean and simple, so even if it might have a bit better graphics it doesn't look as good to me.

The combination of the low resolution and post-processing gives the game a real unique look that stands out.

32953bc8-d491-4cd5-ab17-73670e323c33.PNG
5367684d-707f-433f-9361-ca3d3b819612.PNG

ebd7803e-8dc4-4230-b32f-b02bc726ab1f.PNG
e3e1e082-d2cc-4fb5-a1c9-cdb9ba7395fa.PNG

I don't think the sequel looks bad by any stretch (at least what I've played) but it certainly goes for a different style.

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I just played through RE5 maxed out and I'm currently playing through 6 also maxed out and can't agree with the sentiment. The art direction of 5 is very bland and uninspired. Only the temple area looks good.

In contrast from what I have played so far (2 episodes from Leon's campaign look much better. Better ilumination and effects, and way better textures. The campus area was really well done. I don't know if it keeps up for the entire game, though.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I agree with halo 1 looking better than halo 2 from an art design standpoint (obviously not technically though)

I also liked the aesthetic of WCW World Tour more than WCW vs NWO

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like people are exaggerating about dark souls 2. Its probably worse looking than dark souls, but it's not that bad at least in my opinion. Sometimes it looks better. Especially if we're talking Scholar of the First Sin, which I guess is the Canon version of dark souls 2 lol. I know people dislike the game but you have to be fair.

Whereas other games in this thread I can hard agree that the game looks worse than its predecessor, like Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Xenoblade X and such

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
no, they`re really not. The Evil Within 2 is way more beatiful. The first one looks like hot shit in a lot of times, especially during the city.

No way. Not even close. Artistically, 2 is astronomically worse and waaaaay more boring. The city parts of 1 are a very small part of the game, while the ugly boring parts of 2 are the vast majority of it.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
eh I think it's a pretty good looking game actually, even if it's not the strongest graphics engine. The first game looks better due to better lighting, art direction and processing effects like all that film grain and fog and dust particles. It makes the game look sort of like moving concept art at times.
Jmyj.gif

slide_378516_4465890_free.jpg

The second game looks a little too clean and simple, so even if it might have a bit better graphics it doesn't look as good to me.
evil within 1 was such an incredible game artistically. Huge shame that the second game was so drab and uninspired, really not sure what they were thinking.
All they needed to do was fix the engine and improve the controls/camera and they would of had a classic, instead they seemingly fixed the engine but fired all their artists and changed the games direction thinking it needed fixing when the main problems with the first were technical and control wise.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 6
mega-man-6-21.png

Mega Man 9
megaman9_1a.jpg

The inti-creates retro MM games are such basic-ass looking games.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I absolutely despise 6 but I don't think I agree with this. I played through every campaign in 6 just to, well hell I don't know, I guess I just felt like I had to beat it, but the whole time I distinctly remember being consistently impressed with the visuals and what they were able to get out of a last gen game, despite how much I hated everything else about the game. I think the game looks quite nice on current gen ports and on PC maxed out, I just wish the game wasn't an absolute slog to get through.
it was definitely more colorful and had more going on in the lighting department than 5, which was going for an intentionally desaturated look

But 6 also had way worse textures I felt

EDIT on the subject of TEW, 1 was certainly going for a more grungy decrepit horror aesthetic for most of the game, while 2 went for more realistic, modern areas with some clean sci-fi tech, and the nightmare/reality-bending parts going for more surreal than grungy

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Really don't agree with all the Dark Souls 2 mentions.

The worst-looking parts of Dark Souls 2 do look worse than the better-looking parts of Dark Souls 1, sure. The lows are, well, really low, unfortunately. (These would include Shaded Woods/Ruins, Harvest Valley, and possibly Earthen Peak.)

But, overall, the game looks better. The best-looking parts of Dark Souls 2 (Majula, Dragon Aerie/Shrine, Iron Keep, Brume Tower, Heide's Tower, No Man's Wharf with all the sconces lit, Shrine of Amana) obliterate the best-looking parts of Dark Souls 1. The torch lighting is beautiful, and more advanced than the lighting in even Bloodborne (with dynamic shadows) despite being a generation earlier. It has nice cloth/cape physics. The lava is infinitely better on the eyes, too.

The thing about DS2 is that, when it wants to, it can be quite the looker, specially considering that the game was developed for 360/PS3. (These screenshots are SotFS on PS4 which slightly tweaked the lighting and uses the PC's higher quality textures)

EhrN99v.jpg

W8mJnb3.jpg

a0VP12n.jpg

You are absolutely right about the dynamic shadows and torch lighting. It was dissapointing not to have that in Bloodborne. It looks great, and it hints at what it could've been.
exdWF1W.jpg

I think the problem with DS2 is that, when it falls short, it really sticks out.

XZmxzWs.jpg

Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley are just abysmal. Not only is the lighting completely flat and the textures muddy; the geometry is blocky and simplistic. Those areas really leave a bad taste in the mouth. DS1 has Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith which look just as bad, but overall DS1 more simplistic, pre-baked lighting makes the game feel less uneven graphically, even if DS2's highest highs are higher than DS1's highs.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I much prefer Halo 1's art style to Halo 2's. And probably the rest of the games in the series.

Halo 2 offered a mighty impressive graphical upgrade next to Halo 1, but yeah. Style is more important.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
If I remember correctly, Final Fantasy XIII looked considerably better than FFXIII-2 and XIII-3

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A not insignificant percentage of this thread boils down to developers changing the art style in a sequel, and some people taking objection to that. "Worse" is such a difficult metric. For instance, Crysis 2 had better textures, better lighting, better post-processing, better character models, and pretty much better everything. But some people didn't like the shift to urban environments, so in their eyes the sequel "looked worse".

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It seemed like Killzone 3 didn't looke quite as good as 2, as if the postprocessing wasn't as good or as strong or something. Maybe they compromised or scaled things back to incorporate the 3D mode? I dunno, anyone else feel that way about KZ3?
What?! KZ3 looked way better. Better textures and geometry. I think you might just like 2 because it's dark.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It seemed like Killzone 3 didn't looke quite as good as 2, as if the postprocessing wasn't as good or as strong or something. Maybe they compromised or scaled things back to incorporate the 3D mode? I dunno, anyone else feel that way about KZ3?
They dialed back the post processing significantly and I always figured it was because they didn't want to cripple the controls.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
6qrzmhD.gif

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is ugly as sin ... it is uglier both to Radiant Dawn

5xLPpK9.gif

and even uglier to the GBA ones

JiskMzx.gif

Which one might say it is pretier even than radiant dawn
First of all.....the GBA Fire Emblems are 2D perfection. NONE of the Fire Emblems....right after it and presently look as good if you ask me

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What?! KZ3 looked way better. Better textures and geometry. I think you might just like 2 because it's dark.
I think the issue with KZ3 was that it had quite a few "day time" levels. The lighting engine in that game can't really do high intensity lights well because all the lighting in those two game had LDR precision, what this meant was that even when it was day time the level looked like it was lit from a lightbulb rather than sun light. KZ2 avoided that by not having any level except the opening level and shanty town level set in day time.

It also had a lot more persistent and denser particle effects, its motion blur had a lot longer exposure time, KZ2 also had muzzle flash shadows for every gun be it your gun, or friendly or enemy...KZ3 did not. Basically the engine was originally built specifically with KZ2's look in mind so it sits really well with its art style so much so that even its drawbacks were factored into the look of the game (like the QAA blur). KZ3 on the other hand tried to branch out and as a result despite having better tech and cleaner look...may not have been as appealing as KZ2 with its muted colours and dark look.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
HITMAN 2016 has better lighting in its levels than the same levels in HITMAN 2. Though, I think the levels unique to HITMAN 2 do look better than the ones in HITMAN 2016.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
kof13-4.jpg

looks insanely better than

the-king-of-fighters-xiv-screenshot-06-ps4-us-16feb16

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
I remember when I tried to run Saints Row IV on my old PC I had to turn down all settings to lowest possible to get above 30 fps, and the game looked like shit. Meanwhile, I was able to run Saints Row The Third on the same PC on medium settings and it looked significantly better while getting solid 60 fps.

If you put both games head to head on highest settings, they're probably on par, but the optimization got a lot worse.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Tekken 7. Overall it looks fine, but some weird stuff happened in the transition to UE4. The lighting is strange and some characters like Asuka look odd in this one.