• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Thread made me remember just how much of a shitshow pacific rim 2 was, so bad i'd blocked it out of memory.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Killing Snoke in such a simple way seemed like a way RJ shit on Force Awakens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of either episode 8 or 9. I enjoyed them for what they are, but have a lot of criticism for both.

I think it was ultimately Disney's fault for having different writers and directors that didn't communicate with each other. Or if they did, someone wasn't listening.

I'm gonna be honest, considering how stupidly Rey killed Palpatine in the third movie, I can't imagine JJ's way of having Snoke die would've been any better.

At least Snoke's death was surprising and visually striking, vs. just "I HAVE TWO LIGHTSABERS NOW" "TWO!?!"

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Star Trek: Picard. I'm pretty sure no one involved with that show ever actually watched a single episode of TNG.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Alien 3 would have been better off not trying to be a direct sequel to aliens. Just put aliens on the prison colony and don't heartlessly kill newt and hicks offscreen. Nothing was gained twisting the knife like that.

they obviously could have gone in a different direction, and it was an intentionally cruel choice, but thematically Alien 3 is all about coming to terms with death so I actually think it was a fitting choice for the narrative they went with. It wasn't done to piss on Aliens or give a finger to the fans but to open with a gut punch that both Ripley and the audience have to come to terms with (kind of like a certain AAA game did recently that also pissed off lots of people).

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of either episode 8 or 9. I enjoyed them for what they are, but have a lot of criticism for both.

I think it was ultimately Disney's fault for having different writers and directors that didn't communicate with each other. Or if they did, someone wasn't listening.
How though? TFA also clearly set Kylo to be more important in the narrative than Snoke too: he's the one that parallels Rey, he has the backstory that connects to the original trilogy, and his design is emblematic of Darth Vader, both in and out of universe, from the start aka who everyone saw as the main villain in the OT. While I don't disagree that three writers wasn't a great Idea, I don't think JJ ever viewed Snoke as anything more than a plot device to help justify Ben's turn to the dark side either.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

Snoke was in TFA for all of five seconds so how is killing him the way they did in TLJ shitting on TFA?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
TROS is super weird because they basically toss out every big thing from TLJ… except for the Resistance being decimated? Which it shouldn't be anymore due to Luke's sacrifice? Like, all the other choices are dumb but that felt extra shooting-yourself-in-the-foot-y.

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like fans have a lot more reverence for a lightsaber than Luke would. It's just a weapon to him, he's not attached to it the way the fandom is.
Exactly. Even in the prequels, the lightsabers aren't considered sacred. The Jedi use them because they're primarily defensive weapons, not because they're holy artifacts.

JJ elevated them to mystical status via Maz Kanata and her mystery box and Rian tried to course correct and show that these are just objects, irrelevant to what The Force actually is.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Has Fincher ever commented on this? Specifically his thoughts on Aliens. I figure he wanted to get back to the horror roots of Alien, but the opening of Alien 3 feels outright contemptuous of its predecessor.
I can't remember if he's commented on Aliens, but he officially disowned Alien 3 after all the studio bullshit he had to put up with. The only good thing to come out of Alien 3 is the Making of Alien 3 doc.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if he's commented on Aliens, but he officially disowned Alien 3 after all the studio bullshit he had to put up with. The only good thing to come out of Alien 3 is the Making of Alien 3 doc.
Yeah, but I don't think he disowned it for the first hour. It's the rest that's an absolute mess.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
My first thought.

BTW, because it feels inevitable: Anyone who would seriously cite TLJ in this thread has awful media literacy. TLJ is the only sequel film that shows any consideration for the broad themes and larger character arcs of the Star Wars saga.

It's posts like these that make me love Star Wars threads.. LMAO

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the scene in Endgame where they roast the plot of Thor 2. Lebowski Thor drones on about the boring plot while each of the Avengers look tired and annoyed. The camera pans over to Paul Rudd's Ant-man who has a child-like gleeful smile on his face as a soaks in every detail.

I need a gif of it.
I don't know, then the movie goes on to make The Dark World pretty important to the overall MCU.

You have Thor talking to Frigga one last time & proving that he's still worthy & Loki sees her death in his show.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting how nobody mentions the prequels lol.

Who knew Darth Vader did not like sand.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Every Rambo after First Blood

Every Rocky after Rocky 1 too tbh.

Fucked up how the sequel basically does a mulligan to the first movie's big climatic fight. We went from Oscar winning film about a scrappy underdog to Rocky going super Saiyan to challenge the toughest boxers in the world.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Eureka Seven AO

Did you like the romance, world building and hopeful ending of the original? Well fuck you, everything is shit and nothing means anything and here's some bullshit mystery and time travel.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like fans have a lot more reverence for a lightsaber than Luke would. It's just a weapon to him, he's not attached to it the way the fandom is.
I think also that TLJ is one of the few SW related things that actually condemns a lot of the war aspects of the series- and that includes how glorified the Lightsaber is. It also goes as far as to have an over arcing theme of angry and violent solutions being inferior to more peaceful, protective approaches, rather than just go the Rogue One or Gundam route of portraying its action as brutal and tragic.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
In a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment in Jurassic World, a T-Rex smashes through a Spinosaurus skeleton as a potshot against the thought that would be killed by one.

Probably one of the few positive examples.

Nov 29, 2018
Eureka Seven AO

Did you like the romance, world building and hopeful ending of the original? Well fuck you, everything is shit and nothing means anything and here's some bullshit mystery and time travel.
This is a good one, too. "Yeah, let's make a sequel series! But also, instead of a continuation, let's make it bad Evangelion instead!"

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Eureka Seven AO

I never watched it because I heard it was awful, but I heard that they did a whole 180 and were like "no, the Coralians are actually bad like people originally thought."

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

No, it was a bold move to show that they weren't just going to mirror the original trilogy and it set Kylo Ren (who was already a far more interesting character than Snoke) up to be directly in charge of the new empire. There were so many interesting things they could have done with the plot in the 3rd movie thanks to the setup of the 2nd movie.

And then the 3rd movie backpedaled and just brought the emperor back out of nowhere, and didn't know what to do with any of the supporting characters (most drastically with Rose who got downgraded from being a main character to a background one). There are aspects of the 3rd movie I like and some of the individual scenes are well done, but the whole movie did its best to ignore the second movie's themes and events.

Oct 26, 2017
I came in to pile on the Star Wars sequel trilogy like everyone else, but Rambo is actually a pretty good mention.

Regardless of how entertaining some of the sequels might be, they all shit on the tone and message of First Blood.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019

Underrated post. I honestly hate sci-fi writers obsession with destroying beloved ships. Like can't we have a fun adventure on a familiar old vessel for once. Sadly that was about the only Star Trek like thing they kept for the Seven Samurai influenced sequel.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hills: Revelation retcons so much of the first movie, presumably in an attempt to bring it in line with the game canon. I was rather confused and wondered if I was misremembering what happened in the first one.

Nov 2, 2017
Star Trek: Picard. I'm pretty sure no one involved with that show ever actually watched a single episode of TNG.

This fucking show finally opened my eyes to the truth that Star Trek wasn't for me anymore and hadn't been for a long time.

Silent Hills: Revelation retcons so much of the first movie, presumably in an attempt to bring it in line with the game canon. I was rather confused and wondered if I was misremembering what happened in the first one.

My cousin wrote and directed Revelation. It wasn't a great process and involved a lot of meddling and additions and weirdness including needing Pyramid Head front and center and in a heroic role and lots of weird last minute 3D bullshit.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird to see folks fixated with eps 7-9 when The Phantom Menace took the mystical teachings of The Force and reduced it to a blood sugar test. Suddenly your attunement to the force is like your XBox gamerscore.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Immediately thought of American Psycho 2.

It's the exact definition of taking the predecessor and shitting on everything it tried to say at every possible level.
Yep. The other obvious example I had was Alien 3, but that's at least kind of impressively cruel. American Psycho 2 just takes the most boring interpretation of the first movie and then shits all over it in a truly baffling way.

Also, a positive example of this: Alien Covenant shits all over the ending and messaging of Prometheus.

- The heavy focus on religion of Prometheus? Fuck that, the only religious character dies the stupidest death because of "faith" and the redt constantly makes fun of him.

- The Engineers? Yeah, they're all dead in a genocide caused by David. Fuck them.

And all of this leads to a significantly better movie than Prometheus that actually knows what it wants to do.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
But Snoke was always an emperor stand-in. That was his whole point from the very beginning. And the emperor stand-in dies when betrayed by his pupil in the throne room. That's not shitting on TFA, that's doing exactly what TFA set Snoke up for. Only it was done in the second movie of the trilogy instead of the third. Which would have set for something new regarding Kylo as the main antagonist in the third movie had Rise not backpaddled so hard that it replaced the dead emperor stand-in with the actual Emperor.

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
An American Tail: The Treasure of Manhattan Island starts off by having the previous film, Fievel Goes West immediately revealed as just a dream.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Any of the highlander sequels. Maybe not so much the quickening as its more just nonsensical. But highlander the source craps on every aspect of the original.

Oct 28, 2017
No. As stated by someone else in the thread, there's a difference between not doing exactly what fans wanted/expected in a sequel, and actively going "yeah, no, that's wrong" to things the previous movie clearly stated and making fun of the previous film in the process.

Why does The Force Awakens start with the whole map to Luke Skywalker only to make it a joke in the next film? It doesn't feel like TLJ thought that was a valid point. I mean I get what TLJ did but it still doesn't feel like it gave a crap about the setups that didn't fit into its own narrative.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Kick-Ass 2 goes to comical levels to make it clear that Mark Millar hated that the first movie got a lot of praise despite changing his precious story in the adaptation process, thus it opens with a bunch of things to undo a lot of those changes, shitting all over the first movie and its ending, before attempting to be a more straight forward adaptation of the Kick-Ass 2 comic.

Which, they then had to hilariously change things anyway because the comic was such an edgelord piece of shit that people refused to film certain scenes out of it without changes.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of Korra is full of this. Makes some of the original cast look like horrible parents, and there's a plot point in season 2 that seemed mean and vindictive towards fans of the series (Korra losing the ability to talk to previous avatars)

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to say The Force Awakens is my pick for the worst because I enjoy the movie. Resetting the universe back to Empire vs Rebels under different names was completely creatively bankrupt.