• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
P88N34Q.jpg

the ending of earthbound beginnings hints at a sequel involving ninten and his dad and the sequels literally never reference this game or its events again (outside of giygas "striking back" in the sequel)

Oct 28, 2017
Prince of Persia 2 had a couple: a witch at the very end watching events through a crystal ball and a vision of the Prince's mother telling him that they're of royal blood and to avenge their family. Mechner had a plan for the third installment, but he was barely involved with Prince of Persia 3D (which ignored both twists) and the Ubisoft series were complete reboots, so we never got to see it.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
D4, we even got a teaser image of ep 2.. but swery left access games, will never happen now.
A shame, D4 was great.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
What does this mean? I never played these games and have no idea what the sequel hooks were.
Balder freaks out at a dinner with the Aesir celebrating. Confronts them all about lying to him, and how nothing is resolved. Then after the credits, Loki, who was the the betrayer of the Aesir in the game, has his ship crash land on the the world of Jotenheim, he looks up, smiles and he sees a huge Frost Giant that is blocking out the sun.

The game was wack and janky to play but I liked it, especially the story.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ace attorney 2 ending
Franziska Von Karma ends teasing something and…they never talked about it in any game
Franziska says that she will give the card to Phoenix the next time they face in court.

Well, she and Phoenix never again appeared in court together after that case lol.

Maybe it will happen in AA7 when Gumshoe and Franziska will finally make their long-awaited return to the series... maybe.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
A proper numbered Darksiders 4 will feature Strife as the only character, since the plan always was to give each Horseman their own game with unique play-style and mechanics, and Gunfire are sticking to that.

I would really like to see a DSIV with Strife being FPS game a la Doom 2016.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII

Genesis aka Gackt is alive again, picks up Weiss' body and flies off into the night like the edgelord one winged angel he is. At least he didn't quote Loveless while doing so...

And all I'll say is THANK GOD!

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The first Marvel Ultimate Alliance game teased Galactus at the end, but the next 2 games never followed it up.

Oct 28, 2017
Darksiders. "No, not alone." Followed by endless prequels and "meanwhile!"s and side stories.

GUUYAWR.gif

sLQrWlC.gif

Hopefully it's their next title.

lol these

The Order 1886 somewhat infamously ends on a big setup for a sequel which is highly unlikely to ever take form.

and this one too. when they jumped ship my heart and any hope i had for it to happen went away with them

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
interesting story - Cross Code a New Home ends with a kind of post-credits potential sequel tease. It turns out this tease was entirely unintentional and just misinterpreted by the audience, the devs put out a statement on their discord saying they want to do a new game in a new universe instead and that the first game is also the last for that series.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII

Genesis aka Gackt is alive again, picks up Weiss' body and flies off into the night like the edgelord one winged angel he is. At least he didn't quote Loveless while doing so...

And all I'll say is THANK GOD!
Just wait until VII Remake Part 2.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
220221.jpg

Pretty obvious Vagrant Story was meant to have more parts after this. Alas...

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm sure these wasn't made to be taken seriously, but I was severe disappointed that MvC2 never carried any of the continuity of the MvC1 endings for each character; Especially Lilith's!

imagem-2021-08-30-211317.png

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
Mega Man ZX Advent had a very obvious sequel tease that went nowhere for obvious reasons and it made me super sad

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The first thing that comes to mind is the post-credits scene of Beyond Good and Evil... I have no idea what's going on with the sequel, isn't it supposed to take place before the events of the first game? So I would say it will be another decade before we get any kind of follow up to that cliffhanger.

At the end it looks like Pey'j is infected with a DomZ spore, perhaps setting up the fact that he will now be under influence of the DomZ? Definitely a super interesting sequel hook!

We are never getting a resolution to that cliffhanger, not just because BG&E2 is a prequel, and not just because BG&E3 will never happen, but also because actually BG&E2 will never happen.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Came to say Psi-Ops. Glad I was beaten. In that case, my vote is X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That ending cinematic set up some bad ass stuff that could've happened if Raven didn't get turned into a COD factory.

FauxBrian

Prophet of Truth
Aug 20, 2021
It's not the most obvious of sequel teases, but I maintain Quantum Break set up a sequel to wrap up it's plot. The whole big threat in the game (spoilers) stems from someone travelling forward in time and discovering time had stopped. They do a bunch of stuff to try and avoid this fate but oh no, time is stopping early for some unknown reason. Naturally this get resolved, but I've always figured the characters were wrong in assuming time was stopping early and that this was just a seperate time event they were always supposed to prevent. Thus leaving the actual time stop still out there for a sequel. Also the actual time stop was something like 4 years later which would fit the time frame for releasing a sequel.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
The darkness 2, you end the game trapped in hell clear setting up a 3 but let's just say the sales of the second game didn't justify it's existence let alone a third game

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Rising 2 and DR2: Case West had a lot of sequel hooks, with the facts that Isabella was now working with Phenotrans, that the CEO was an Infectee herself, that there is potentially a permanent cure to being zombified, and that Chuck and Frank got a lot of evidence of that happening.

Cue DR3, where it's a 10-year skip, all of that got basically ignored, except for Isabella plot hook, which was still handwaved away and both Chuck and Frank are nowhere to be seen, except for museum pieces and Ending S, where Chuck actually appears in the flesh, along with Katey.

DR4 decided to ignore absolutely EVERYTHING, and that was just one of the game's problems I'd say. And what they didn't ignore, was mangled into a parody of itself.
God, Isabella was so mistreated in the Dead Rising franchise. She deserved so much better.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
It's not the most obvious of sequel teases, but I maintain Quantum Break set up a sequel to wrap up it's plot. The whole big threat in the game (spoilers) stems from someone travelling forward in time and discovering time had stopped. They do a bunch of stuff to try and avoid this fate but oh no, time is stopping early for some unknown reason. Naturally this get resolved, but I've always figured the characters were wrong in assuming time was stopping early and that this was just a seperate time event they were always supposed to prevent. Thus leaving the actual time stop still out there for a sequel. Also the actual time stop was something like 4 years later which would fit the time frame for releasing a sequel.

Also time monsters are alluded to but you never fight one.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't understand people listing Legacy of Kain. Defiance was vaguely open-ended (in that the Elder God was just "defeated" and not fully destroyed), but there was still a solid conclusion to the arc. It doesn't need a sequel, anyway, without the original writers you know it'd be shit.

Deus Ex Human Revolution/Mankind Divided, however, is clearly an incomplete story, and that one really hurts.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's extremely obvious there's a sequel hook, specially when they reveal the real bad guy of the game in the post credits scene.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018

Pretty much, though given the themes of the game and it's interpretation of time travel, that you can't change the past but rather set the future you already know in motion, one could understand that the end of time is coming and they can't do anything about it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people listing Legacy of Kain. Defiance was vaguely open-ended (in that the Elder God was just "defeated" and not fully destroyed), but there was still a solid conclusion to the arc. It doesn't need a sequel, anyway, without the original writers you know it'd be shit.
Exactly. Whether by accident, or because someone on the writing staff knew a sequel wouldn't happen, we ended up with something which can be seen as a decent end point for the series. Not a definitive "Kain wins" ending that some wanted, but I felt it worked rather well, and with how the series never did get a game after that (and going by most of the canceled stuff, feels like a hail of bullets were dodged), its a decent end to the series.

Anyway. Is it too soon to say Shenmue 3? The butchered ending we got (complete with terrible localisation), points you to the great wall of China and with the plot not resolved at all (heck, 3 does so little until the final few minutes, where its as if it suddenly realised it needed to forward the plot) that you now have no mirrors, some sort of internal struggle within the Chi You Men is happening (gee, those plot points would make a great game story...) that in theory, Shenmue 4 could have a good plot. Or another wild goose chase. We may never know... (and perhaps that's for the best)

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first teaser trailer for Dark Souls 2 comes to mind. The final game was such a letdown compared to the first game and that first trailer.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness was s
meant to be the start of a trilogy and even with some of it condensed into a single game it still ended on a sequel hook, never to be followed up on.