• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The entire existence of vampires in The Order 1886 is just a sequel hook that was never realized.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo Kazooie's infamous Stop 'n Swop promise is the one that I remember most vividly. It's not that the sequel didn't materialize, it's that the entire premise of 100% completing the first to get access to special aspects of the second utterly failed to materialize for reasons they should have known full well would ever prevent it from being implemented in the first place.
It ended up materializing in the XBLA versions, where the eggs you collected transferred over to Banjo-Tooie to unlock the stuff they did previously plus some assorted knick knacks. Probably not the original intent, mind, and the original plan was totally bonkers, but it's there now.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't there a Timesplitters game or something like it where Abraham Lincoln came through time armed with other historical figures that was setting up a sequel?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Being someone who vastly preferred Spyro 1 to its sequels, I was a little disappointed the sequel hook in the first game isn't addressed at all by the sequels.

I loved the aesthetic and even the gameplay loop of Spyro 1, so the promise of more of that excited me. Oh well. Spyro 2 and 3 are fine in their own right.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Fr2D6Uw.jpg
Don't be so cruel with me, i should've known that Stalker or DC3 would be mentioned tho.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Not a major tease, I think it was just the main villain surviving and evil-y proclaiming they'd be back. The game definitely deserved a sequel though, it was really fantastic.

Golden Sun 2 (even with there being a 3rd game)
I remember the end of 2 had one of the more mysterious characters I think was named Alex (not really a hero, not really a villain). The game had a sequel tease with him getting super-powered based on you turning the lighthouses on, but it didn't go completely according to plan, like he wasn't as powerful as he thought, and that one-eyed rock monster/god showed up.

To my memory the 3rd game in the series pretty much completely ignored that since it was so many years since the second game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Another MegaMan one, OP: MegaMan ZX Advent.
It had a secret ending that ended on a cliffhanger, setting up the third game in the series, but it never happened.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine ends with a sequel tease to working for the Deathwatch after being captured by the Inquisition, but never went anywhere.

Xenoblade X ends with a important plot twist but it seems that we will have to wait a lot more for Xenoblade X-2.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Tales of Zestiria immediately springs to mind.

There's a DLC epilogue chapter that ends on the most cartoonish of cliffhangers. Like, there's no point to the entire DLC chapter, except to set up the villain for a story we'll never see.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Darksiders 4 is one hundred percent going to be a Strife solo game. Genesis and 3 both already teased it and there not going to make one of the four have there proper game be a spin off where they have to share the spotlight
Considering that:
-Genesis was a spin-off (though done by the other half of Vigil that created the series)
-Gunfire's previous game was a third-person shooter with soulslike elements
-Strife is primarily a gunslinger
-The ending of DS III

... Yeah, i'm pretty sure that DS IV is gonna be a Strife game. Hopefully with Vanquish-style gun-kata combat.

I wouldn't mind a Genesis II featuring Fury & Death, either. Once Airship is done with that LoL game, hopefully they'll make it happen.

On topic of the thread: Legacy of Kain: Defiance

18 years and counting.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
However, X6 and beyond basically ignore this entirely. Even the Zero series never touches on this again. What a waste!

Any other examples?
X6 implied (at least in Japanese) that Issoc was Wily in a new body I believe. There's some association there but I forget what exactly. But really the issue is, X5 was supposed to end the X series but Capcom decided that it wanted another few X sequels so we got 6 and 7 which sucked, but at least X8 is pretty fun at very least.

Anyway, I suppose Shenmue would be the ultimate "goes nowhere":
Shenmue 1 implied that both mirrors would bring about some ancient evil, though 2 suggests that the ancient evil might be metaphorical and not literal. Shenmue 3 doesnt do jack shit with that plot point.

Shenmue 2 ends with a giant mirror relief, a flying sword shooting a beam of light, and lots of questions. Shenmue 3 retcons most of that aside the giant mirror relief. Then answers no substantial questions about basically anything... with you searching for someone the entire game and then getting no real answers by the ending. Doesnt help that the game had a big chunk of the end cut out, so quite what Yu Suzuki was aiming for is a mystery. I honestly cannot imagine how the series can really continue considering they'll never make the 5+ odd games needed to tell most of the original planned story.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Sun Dark Dawn.
Not only we never got s sequel, the franchise pretty much died after a huge cliffhanger.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time ends with Sly lost through time, with the secret ending reveals he's been stranded in ancient Egypt. Incidentally this is where one of his ancestors resided so presumably the idea of Sly 5 (or maybe a DLC to Sly 4 according to another thread) would involve Sly getting back home by teaming up with some of the other ancestors. Notably, it's also strongly implied that Clockwerk is alive and time traveling as well; he appears in every stage as a non-interactive cameo which could be explained as him stalking the Cooper ancestors... except he also appears in the Ice Age level fully mechanized, before the Cooper Clan even existed as it is now (the Ice Age Cooper being a caveman who's just a simple hunter gatherer instead of a thief), and two of the treasures for the game further hint at him: the Dragon Claw Statue, if rotated, shows some graffiti carved into it saying "Clockwerk was here!" and the treasure for the Ice Age is Clockwerk's Eye, which outright comments on it still being pristine even though every piece of him should have faded away with the destruction of his body in Sly 2, and notes that it "lends truth to the claim to his claim that the Cooper Gang hadn't seen the last of him!"

It's pretty clear, or at least it's clear to my nonsense-addled brain, that Sly 5 was going to be a big triumphant return for Clockwerk (who only really factored into the plot of Sly 1 which I always found weird, even with his body revived in Sly 2 he never takes stage as a character), and then it just never got made.

Oh man I thought Clockwerk appearing in the ice age was just an oversight. Also the fact that he looked smaller I thought meant that those weren't really him but minions he'd sent (like the ones in the final level of the first game). Now I'm even more bummed there's no Sly 5.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I will be forever bitter that I didn't get a Space Marine 2, especially since we're all actively tripping over 40K games.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why Retro decided to tease a sequel after Prime 3. We'll see what happens with Prime 4, I guess.

Tanabe conceived of Federation Force during development of Prime 3 and wanted to make it for DSi.

The producer of Federation Force was Kensuke Tanabe, who produced all previous Metroid Prime titles. He first conceptualized of a game centered around the Galactic Federation while working on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.[SUP][14][/SUP] He wanted to expand the Metroid universe by showing it from the perspective of the Galactic Federation's Marines.[SUP][4][/SUP] In addition to Tanabe, Nintendo's Yoshihito Ikebata and Ryuichi Nakada oversaw the game's development. They originally considered making it for the Nintendo DSi, but ultimately decided to make it for Nintendo 3DS due to Next Level Games' familiarity with the hardware. It was planned to release alongside the New Nintendo 3DS, but development pushed the title's release date to 2016.[SUP][14][/SUP]​
He's also wanted to make a game starring Sylux since Hunters.

Considering the marketing push for Prime 3, Nintendo probably expected it to sell better than the first Prime with it being on a much higher-selling system, but it ended up selling the worst of the trilogy.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Mega Man might have more of these than any other franchise.

maxresdefault.jpg

Actually you are probably right here. The only two series to actually wrap up most points were Zero and Battle Network.

Starforce had the teaser for 4 that was leaked with Geo wanted for being an outlaw or something with Lan's descendent

D9D7NPAXsAA4MF4.png

Legends is still on the moon. X has the New Generation Reploids and whatever happens with them before the Elf Wars (could assume they get cured by the Mother elf or get wiped by Omega here). ZX has The Master Thomas cliffhanger. Still don't know how OG transitions to X.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Hopefully not but Days Gone (as in we get a sequel or something one day)

That cliffhanger is awesome and I hope it gets resolved. It changes the whole theme of the story.

To a smaller extent, Gravity Rush 2 somewhat. The main story is finished but there are some things that feel ripe for a sequel.
Days Gone is the first thing that popped into my mind, that ending was straight up a mindfuck, and what's crazy some people don't see it cause it sometimes triggers randomly.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still sad about Anachronox. They dropped a big twist right at the end and clearly set things up for part 2.

I also just realized we recently passed it's 20th anniversary without any notice at all. It's a real underrated gem that deserves a remaster and a sequel.