• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Have you ever thought about this? Each and every big game of the fall season being ready for the new console day one? No weird decisions to make, like do I play this new game now on the old console, or wait til they update it for the new console?

This year there happens to be a huge game launching on September 17th. How nice would it be to have Cyberpunk 2077 as a launch title on a new console?

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
September 2021 you mean? Also, how do you know Cyberpunk isn't delay into oblivion at this point.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least this year, it's likely those games will be delayed. The consoles too.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That would mean they'd be even less launch games. Its likely both Microsoft and Sony's launch titles are struggling to hit November at this rate.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Sept 2021 cuz it's not releasing this year

joking aside I think sept is a good month, launch games before holidays and then your normal yearly holiday releases afterwards

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
"Have we heard from Foxconn?"

"Yup, the two consoles that were made have been shipped for September 22nd"

"Excellent"

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Not this September and by next September CV will be getting ready for a comeback if none of the vaccines have fully rolled out yet. Maybe 2022.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
september is commercial onset of "the holiday season" so you're not completely wrong.

IMO launch date is much ado about nothing as long as it hits that sept-early dec window. but that's from a pre-covid mindset, who the fuck knows at this point

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
1. Games won't be ready for September.
2. Hardware production won't be ready for September for an adequate global rollout.
3. Economy probably won't be in great shape given the impact of COVID-19.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
You'll be lucky to have the Xbox Series X and PS5 release in November let alone September.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
We might still be quarantined in September with 2nd or 3rd outbreaks of C19. If not, great bring it all on.
This
And this.

I think the coronavirus stuff will still be going on and impacting us in September. I honestly think next gen might be delayed till 2021, so for you to think September is perfect with everything currently going on is laughable lol. I don't think we're getting it earlier, if anything was to change, we're getting them later.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
There is no way on earth they accelerate production in this environment. Even if they can find the factory capacity, which they can't, they'd be releasing into the worst economic environment in living memory. The real question is if they hold to the current holiday date and just accept the extreme supply constraints and probable lack of finished games that'll come with that, or if they delay to next year, and if they delay, do they still go for a spring release or do they just go for a full year delay do a sort of complete reset and write off all of 2021 as a loss, maybe jut releasing the last gen versions of a few games that were planning cross-gen release just to sell something in that time.

Apr 21, 2018
I feel like September is a great month to launch key software, software that will continue selling into the holiday.

With consoles, I feel like it's a "launch as late as we possible can but still this year" scenario. Those extra 2 months probably help a lot on launch software.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People need to let it go, so many video-game-launch anxiety threads lately. Just expect it to launch at a later date, everything will be fine.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'd be shocked if the Cyberpunk wasn't delayed. Shocked I tell thee. I'd also be shocked if the new machines weren't delayed till next year too now.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I would probably disagree. September is the start of a new school year and it's still too early for most people to start holiday gift shopping. Personally I think November is the right month, at least for the US. That's when most people start thinking about Black Friday and holiday gifts for their kids and families. I would not purchase a new console for my kids in September when the school year just started.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
If you mean in like the general sense then sure maybe yeah, but specifically for next gen given how the world is right now? lol

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Even looking past the current situation, they aren't going to steal all the attention of the fall AAA games coming out on consoles people have in their house right now.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If we get it this year is late Oct to early Nov (Oct 20th -Nov 15th) otherwise its next year probably late Feb early March

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
They're almost certainly going to be delayed until next year, and probably Summer time then too. The economic shock from this pandemic is going to change a lot for the entire entertainment industry and it's schedules. I wonder if there will possibly even be design changes due to the delay.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP changed their avatar.

Ugh not in a good year and definitely not this year. If consoles do release this year both companies better expect lower sales estimates.

The economy has taken a huge dump and won't recover for years.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I don't think there's such a thing as ''ideal timing'' in 2020

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Did OP just come back from a several week trip in the wilderness without internet :P

I would be very surprised if these boxes or any new games that aren't indies make it to release this year...ain't no way Cyberpunk is making Sept release rn.

The most we can hope for at this point is an XSX release with a bunch of digital only/Game Pass releases of indies and 4k/60 fps BC titles.

But sure Sept would be a nice month for a typical non pandemic year to release new systems.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Have you ever thought about this? Each and every big game of the fall season being ready for the new console day one? No weird decisions to make, like do I play this new game now on the old console, or wait til they update it for the new console?

This year there happens to be a huge game launching on September 17th. How nice would it be to have Cyberpunk 2077 as a launch title on a new console?
Maybe if there wasn't a pandemic going on.

But there is.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'm sure that moving forward when everything is being pushed back is a fessibile and brilliant move.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Talk exists about whether or not the consoles will release Holiday 2020 due to Covid 19 and we're really talking about well what about earlier than that?

Covid changes everything. Expecting the consoles to come out this year isn't a stretch but the chances are tons lower than two months ago. Expecting the consoles to come out earlier because of this is flat nuts.