• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's a FFVI spoiler, I entered the thread expecting FFVII spoilers as it is marked as such per the guidelines.
Kefka's boss is well known, you know the game is nearly 30 years old? Generic references, like boss designs, cross over in discussion sometimes. I think your spoiler criteria is too strict and I'll leave it there.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Nobody calls the literal tree in FFV the best villain in all gaming

Its absolutely fair to pick sephiroth apart as long as people use this hyperbole

I have no clue what you're trying to say here. Are you implying anyone in this thread is actually calling Sephiroth "the best villain in all of gaming"? What hyperbole are you referring to? Is a negation (or several) missing somewhere?

Wow.

Word of advice, don't get too atached to the main character in The Passion of the Christ.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Sephiroth worked best as a Jaws-like villain, who creates dread when he isn't on screen and actively raises the tension when he appears. He's far less interesting as anime fight scene fodder.

10000%

I was just talking about this with some friends. One of them played FF7R and didn't like Sephiroth (I don't blame him) but he's playing the original on Switch for the first time and is blown away by how effective their handling of Sephiroth is in the early game. This mythic figure you mostly just hear about slowly unveiling itself as this horrifying unstoppable evil.

The impaled snake moment has been living rent free in my head for 23 years, man.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I love Sephiroth because of his story and how he's written in the OG game. Guy had a SHITTY upbringing. Not a big fan of everything else that came after sadly... which is what he's based off now. I think i was disappointed early on in the 7EU when it was revealed that he was controlling Jenova all along. I preferred my reading when playing the game that he was being mind/DNA fucked by the all-powerful eldritch alien. Him being in control just makes Jenova seem less imo.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Personal attacks against another member, junior account
Word of advice, don't get too atached to the main character in The Passion of the Christ.
It's not hard. If you want to drop a spoiler, just mark it out of respect to other people. Like so:

Divinoids will be a bottom of the barrel bundle game with a 10% install rate.

I have not beaten Final Fantasy VI but I intend to so I'd rather not know about any details regarding any boss forms of the main antagonist.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i liked FF7R but it pretty much ruined the whole mystique around the character

doesn't take a genius to figure out sephiroth is the big bad in OG FF7 but it was a gradual buildup. theres a point you realize oh god this guy is just super crazy and will completely wreck shit

he's basically a mustache twirling villain like 30 mins into the game

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much I can go into spoiler territory, but if you finished FF7R you can argue that there are narrative reasons as to why Sephiroth isn't as much of a mystery as he was.

Tidalwaves

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Played the game for the first time last year and thought he was written miserably. Was insulted that you don't even really meet him until later. His design is great, though.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder how the whole Kalm flashback scene will be handled...
really what is the point for this in the remake
you already fight him at the end of FF7R, it'll just feel awkward. at least in the original everyone is like "Sephiroth!! thought he was a good guy who went missing?" then you tell your story. but in remake tifa already punched him in the face lol

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's not hard. If you want to drop a spoiler, just mark it out of respect to other people. Like so:

Divinoids will be a bottom of the barrel bundle game with a 10% install rate.

I have not beaten Final Fantasy VI but I intend to so I'd rather not know about any details regarding any boss forms of the main antagonist.

Again, wow. :D

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. Original FF7 actually had really good writing, even underneath the iffy localization. Then the spinoffs and other later stuff missed the point completely.

FF7's characters are largely developed around the lies they were told.

Cloud and his memories, Tifa and her denial, Barrett and Cid with Shinra, Red and his father, and even Sephiroth who was never Jenova's child nor an Ancient but assumed power based on it.

Shinra is the ultimate baddie for literally instigating all the events that negatively effect the entire cast.

And in spite of all that OG FF7 still managed to make Shinra somewhat realistic instead of cartoonishly evil.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
really what is the point for this in the remake
you already fight him at the end of FF7R, it'll just feel awkward. at least in the original everyone is like "Sephiroth!! thought he was a good guy who went missing?" then you tell your story. but in remake tifa already punched him in the face lol

FF7R already fucked up. There's no way anything they make in the sequels will actually mean anything at all. It's just Player One, the FF7 remake edition.