• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
20201211_102317-jpg.295150

FFVII will be the new Fire Emblem

no complaints from me but I expect Tifa and Barret to be mii fighters (I'm even going to try and get their Mii faces as close I can to their low poly figure counterparts before the costumes go up).

at the very least we'll get spirits and extra tracks :D

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been discussed, but all the Advent Children stuff is interesting. Compared to FF7R, it's definitely not in the zeitgeist as much as the original and remake depictions. I wonder if Square is prepping a 15th anniversary rerelease of the movie.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
With the insane range on some of the attacks I'm guessing Sephiroth is going to be a heavy/slow character.

The trailer unfortunately didn't show much movement.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The NSMB series kinda wore them down in that little bubble, but Kart and Smash was absolutely deserved. I hope to see them in a 3D Mario too, think that would also feel fresh for the characters
That was undeserved. The Koopalings were the villains of SMB3 and SMW, as well, and the NSMB games did a good job changing up their gimmicks and a better job giving them unique characters than those games. They were basically invented to give more flavor to the fake Bowsers from SMB1 and 2. They were in 2 old games and 3 news games. NSMBWii and U even made Bowser Jr great. It's a shame they haven't been in a 3D Mario yet. I'm kinda hoping they appear in Bowser's Fury:
EIL7dbDW4AI-q-f

EIL7dbCWsAI4xdE

Yarn ball Lemmy is too good.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That was undeserved. The Koopalings were the villains of SMB3 and SMW, as well, and the NSMB games did a good job changing up their gimmicks and a better job giving them unique characters than those games. They were basically invented to give more flavor to the fake Bowsers from SMB1 and 2. They were in 2 old games and 3 news games.

The issue is that the 3d games had unique bosses, so the Koopalings would be a regression from that. Even the first NSMB had some unique bosses (even if they were often just giant versions of standard enemies) before going with the Koopalings in the sequels. Yes, they got unique gimmicks, rather than just variations of the same battle (SMB3) or of a set of battles (SMW), but different bosses with completely unique designs is an easy choice over a bunch of mini-Bowsers. Maybe if they were all included as part of a single boss battle, but that never seems to happen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
no complaints from me but I expect Tifa and Barret to be mii fighters (I'm even going to try and get their Mii faces as close I can to their low poly figure counterparts before the costumes go up).

at the very least we'll get spirits and extra tracks :D

Yeah, honestly Tifa and Barret's movesets are basically ALREADY fully represented in Smash as it is through the Miis - they feel like no-brainer Mii costumes.

Also I think now that they have VII's hero AND villain if they get another FF rep it should be from a different FF game. VII doesn't need to be the only Final Fantasy represented.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
You know what, as someone not down at all with the fact that a new Square Enix rep is not only another FF character but another FFVII character specifically... at least give me some non-FFVII music thrown in there and we'll be cool. Like, even just the small bone of Battle on the Big Bridge and Battle with the Four Fiends or some iconic stuff like that would go a long way, versus what we got with Cloud...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that the 3d games had unique bosses, so the Koopalings would be a regression from that. Even the first NSMB had some unique bosses (even if they were often just giant versions of standard enemies) before going with the Koopalings in the sequels. Yes, they got unique gimmicks, rather than just variations of the same battle (SMB3) or of a set of battles (SMW), but different bosses with completely unique designs is an easy choice over a bunch of mini-Bowsers. Maybe if they were all included as part of a single boss battle, but that never seems to happen.
I think they would've fit into 3D Land/World. I mean those games recycled Boom Boom and Pom Pom a lot anyway, especially 3D Land.

Maybe Bowser's Fury

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Amazing announcement that I never expected... probably the most iconic RPG villain of all time. Was a bit meh over the reveals (Terry was the last one that was appealing to me) but this one now makes me wanna jump into dlc season 2. In the social media channels I'm on, the reaction to Sephi is night and day compared to Minecraft Steve :P

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, honestly Tifa and Barret's movesets are basically ALREADY fully represented in Smash as it is through the Miis - they feel like no-brainer Mii costumes.

Also I think now that they have VII's hero AND villain if they get another FF rep it should be from a different FF game. VII doesn't need to be the only Final Fantasy represented.
Which FF would you like to see repped after FF7?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anime swordsmen are the most fun characters anyway
but this is an actually good anime swordsman
yeah but its THE anime swordsmen
One of the most iconic anime swordsman though lol

All facts, I gotta get it lol

who the fucking cares about the anime swordsmen thing lmao
there are like less than 20 sword users over more than 80 fighters, this complaint is completely inflated

Yo chill, it was a joke lmao

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I think Noctis would be hilarious to play as in Smash, and I would love to see him exasperatedly react to being pulled into another crossover.

Past that, it could be fun to see someone from FFVI, though VI's ensemble cast setup makes it harder to say the game has a SET protagonist even if Terra is treated as such for marketing reasons. Also modern Terra kinda sucks so unless they make her less of a wuss I'd rather they just leave her out entirely. Celes would have some interesting moveset potential with Runic, and Locke would be a fun rushdown character.

Other than that, I would love Gilgamesh as a fun "encapsulating the whole FF series" character.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think Noctis would be hilarious to play as in Smash, and I would love to see him exasperatedly react to being pulled into another crossover.

Past that, it could be fun to see someone from FFVI, though VI's ensemble cast setup makes it harder to say the game has a SET protagonist even if Terra is treated as such for marketing reasons. Also modern Terra kinda sucks so unless they make her less of a wuss I'd rather they just leave her out entirely. Celes would have some interesting moveset potential with Runic, and Locke would be a fun rushdown character.

Other than that, I would love Gilgamesh as a fun "encapsulating the whole FF series" character.
I really enjoyed FFXV, despite its flaws, and I would love to see Noctis in Smash - the royal arms and warpstrikes would make for a compelling moveset, methinks. :)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I love Cloud (my fave FF character tied with Vivi) but I still think ChocoMog should have been the Final Fantasy rep

Two of the mascots in one, Mog used multiple weapon types in VI, iconic music...

That or a job-switching character based on FFI, III, or XIV would have been fantastic.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
As much as I hate his guts, he still made the character. So yeah, I guess Steve is actually more ambiguously dark-skinned than outright black.

Though if Mojang & Microsoft said that Steve was black, that would override Notch.

Exactly. If Disney wants to go back and retcon shit from the original Star Wars trilogy (which was most of Solo) they can, and there's nothing George Lucas can do about it.

Same thing here. Mojang says he's black, he's black.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
unpopular opinion but I'd love Lightning and her gunblade, she's such a great design.

Obviously Terra is a good pick, magic is a big part of FF and she could rep any part of it and go into trance of course. Cecil could also switch between Dark Knight and Paladin

Agree about Gilgamesh.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not gonna lie I do think it's cute that his trailer is him literally usurping the start of World of Light and going "this is my doomsday y'all!". Does a good job of making him feel like a big deal. Also someone correct me if I am wrong but is this the first cg Cloud has been in for Smash Ultimate?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
unpopular opinion but I'd love Lightning and her gunblade, she's such a great design.

Obviously Terra is a good pick, magic is a big part of FF and she could rep any part of it and go into trance of course. Cecil could also switch between Dark Knight and Paladin

Agree about Gilgamesh.
I've always wanted to try the FFXIII trilogy. I still have my PS3, but at this point I would probably just wait for Switch ports.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie I do think it's cute that his trailer is him literally usurping the start of World of Light and going "this is my doomsday y'all!". Does a good job of making him feel like a big deal. Also someone correct me if I am wrong but is this the first cg Cloud has been in for Smash Ultimate?

Correct. He's BARELY visible in a zoomed-out group shot or two, but this is the first time he's ever been given a featured, prominent role in a CGI scene.

Hell, his Smash 4 trailer was all in-game, no FMV.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Correct. He's BARELY visible in a zoomed-out group shot or two, but this is the first time he's ever been given a featured, prominent role in a CGI scene.

Hell, his Smash 4 trailer was all in-game, no FMV.
Thank god I'm not crazy. After watching the trailer again and looking at Cloud I was like "wait... I think this is the first time he has ever been in cg this prominently?". If I remember the discussion about Cloud in Ultimate. Wasn't he the last character to get brought on due to rights issues? Which is why you barely see him in anything in the lead up to Ultimate and even the in game cgs.

But like holy cow the more I think about this the more excited I get. I'm not even the biggest FF7 fan but Sephiroth gets me hyped. Something about seeing iconic main characters and their villain's facing off in Smash gets me going.

Now Sakurai please add in Medusa from Uprising

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god I'm not crazy. After watching the trailer again and looking at Cloud I was like "wait... I think this is the first time he has ever been in cg this prominently?". If I remember the discussion about Cloud in Ultimate. Wasn't he the last character to get brought on due to rights issues? Which is why you barely see him in anything in the lead up to Ultimate and even the in game cgs.

But like holy cow the more I think about this the more excited I get. I'm not even the biggest FF7 fan but Sephiroth gets me hyped. Something about seeing iconic main characters and their villain's facing off in Smash gets me going.

Now Sakurai please add in Medusa from Uprising

Basically, yeah. Square was playing hardball from minute one and they dragged their feet for a while until Nintendo was able to convince them to sign back on. This is also why Cloud is basically BURIED near the end of World of Light in (I believe) an optional area you don't even have to clear to finish the mode.

He was approved early enough in the process to fit into the EVERYONE IS HERE mosaic and all the trailers, but beyond that his presence in the game is MARKEDLY understated compared to every single other third party character in Ultimate because of Square's stinginess.

I hope this time around they add a Final Fantasy-specific Spirit Battle like they did for all the other DLC characters.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love an FFXIV character. Y'shola, Ardbert, G'raha, or the Warrior of Light with a down-B that changes jobs? lots of potential, and a ton of great music that could be added with them.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, yeah. Square was playing hardball from minute one and they dragged their feet for a while until Nintendo was able to convince them to sign back on. This is also why Cloud is basically BURIED near the end of World of Light in (I believe) an optional area you don't even have to clear to finish the mode.

He was approved early enough in the process to fit into the EVERYONE IS HERE mosaic and all the trailers, but beyond that his presence in the game is MARKEDLY understated compared to every single other third party character in Ultimate because of Square's stinginess.

I hope this time around they add a Final Fantasy-specific Spirit Battle like they did for all the other DLC characters.
With any luck this DLC pack will add a decent selection of spirits and music. In negotiating for Sephiroth, Sakurai would've been able to point Terry Bogard's 50 tracks and dozen spirits and hopefully encourage Square to step it up. Ultimate is the best-selling fighting game of all time on one of the best-selling systems -- it's also another way to keep FFVIIR on people's minds.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Not my first choice (that'd be Sora) but Sephiroth in Smash is still hype as fuck and I can't wait for Sakurai's presentation on him next week. What a fantastic reveal trailer, too. One of the best yet, and that's really saying something.

I just hope and pray he comes with more than two music tracks... or even one. I hate to say it, but part of me legitimately believes One-Winged Angel might be the only track we get with him. I really hope that part of me is wrong.