• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
But it IS a gameplay trailer . Lots of cinematic games have pieces like this. And the first game wasn't your traditional action game .

A piece like this is good for a big show reveal imo.

I played the first game so I was expecting to see how they improved on the dreadful action parts. It's fine to have these cinematic portions but they set the expectations incorrectly and that's why there's so much discussion here. They should've just called it a "real-time" trailer.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I played the first game so I was expecting to see how they improved on the dreadful action parts. It's fine to have these cinematic portions but they set the expectations incorrectly and that's why there's so much discussion here. They should've just called it a "real-time" trailer.
Yeah I mean I get people want to see if they improved the gameplay .
Like A Plagues Tale ...I loved that game but the gameplay wasn't too good so I was excited to see a crossbow in the trailer for the new game .

But to claim this shouldn't be called a gameplay trailer I don't understand because it was exactly that regardless if it met anyone's expectations.

And tbh If anyone is expecting this game to be turned Into a full fledged action game or something similar you are probably gonna be disappointed regardless of what they show. It's probably not gonna be that .

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
People want more gameplay but i hope they take out some of the puzzles from the first game. God those shape finding puzzles were frustrating.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
It won't be.
It's a game about mental health.
It's about the character and her struggle.
It's not fun, it won't be fun, and it can't be fun.
Mental Health.

Sometimes I wonder why video games as an industry aren't considered as valid of an art form.

Then I remember: gamers. A story about mental health isn't a good game unless you make it a dopamine generator. Put in a shotgun, some XP bars to fill up, and change the main character to a white man for good measure and you've got yourself a "good game".

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Sometimes I wonder why video games as an industry aren't considered as valid of an art form.

Then I remember: gamers. A story about mental health isn't a good game unless you make it a dopamine generator. Put in a shotgun, some XP bars to fill up, and change the main character to a white man for good measure and you've got yourself a "good game".
If I can't put Senua in a bunny suit on Easter then what's the point?

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
This look so beautiful. Only got to watch it live during the stream. The videos are even more impressive.

Definitely giving the first game ago this weekend.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People want more gameplay but i hope they take out some of the puzzles from the first game. God those shape finding puzzles were frustrating.
Those puzzles felt to me a little like they might have been caused by the small budget. The puzzles in part 2 will hopefully be a lot more about environmental interactions. The oil+fire could already be turned into a game mechanic

Kvothe Ctaeh

Sep 29, 2020
Every time an exclusive game doesn't get universal praise we have the corporation fans start accusing all the people who don't agree with them that they're opinion is biased (pretty ironic) or that they are downplaying the game on purpose.
If that was the case FH5 wouldn't be almost universally praised, same for Rachet.

In this case when you get downgrades from showing to showing there will be complaints because of built up expectations even if the latest showing is great.

This is not about universal praise. People concerned about not much of the gameplay loop being shown are right to not be that impressed with that. But many of the people slyly saying how apparently a cross gen title looks better or downplaying its graphics as decent have a history of doing it on any xbox related thread. And it's tiring to see threads get detailed like this with concern trolling.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Psychonauts 2 was also about mental health yet managed to be very fun. A game about mental health doesn't HAVE to be horrible to play.

Indeed. This is like the situation where you ask people what mental health is and the response is usually a negative one. Mental health stories need not be negative. Though obviously this particular story is meant to explore the more troubled sides of the human mind.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. This is like the situation where you ask people what mental health is and the response is usually a negative one. Mental health stories need not be negative. Though obviously this particular story is meant to explore the more troubled sides of the human mind.
For me, playing the first game (headphones should be a requirement) gave me an understanding of what psychosis means and a much better understanding of what it's like to hear voices. I've always heard stories about people hearing voices while doing terrible things and HB was the first game that made me see how easy it could be to listen to them.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles

It's so frustrating sometimes. *Shaking* BUT IS IT SUPER FUN??? It's like complaining about Films everytime there isn't an action scene. It's the biggest issue with how games are defined atm, you have games that are just fun arcadey experiences up against cinematic experiences and judged pretty much the same.

I've always said imagine the Oscars and your movie of the year award was: Parasite, MrBeasts Squid Game Video, Little Women, Great British Bake Off, Baby Shark Music Video. There's no separation in tone or experience or weight in the game industry and how they are perceived.

"little women looked cool, but I had way more fun watching Baby Shark Music Video"

(Dont want to derail the thread... Hellblade II looked fantastic and I'm so excited to see where they take it)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be.
Mental Health.
I don't need you to condescend me like this thank you.

A game can still be fun when about a serious topic, don't be so ridiculous.

And, to top it off... I didn't use the word fun, anyway.

And this is even worse... enjoyable doesn't need to equal "dopamine generator", some of you are so absurd about things lol.

Jun 23, 2019
Of course it is. I wouldn't post it otherwise. The game doesn't look "decent" from a graphical point of view.

I mean there's nothing on the market that looks better than this. Weird to consider this decent.

Not saying decent is enough but it doesn't looks as good as I thought, not really impressed.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on this forum. I'm getting jumped on because I said the graphics were decent and that's somehow weird? I'm done with this thread. Can't even discuss the game without people getting upset that you aren't saying what they want to hear.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on this forum. I'm getting jumped on because I said the graphics were decent and that's somehow weird? I'm done with this thread. Can't even discuss the game without people getting upset that you aren't saying what they want to hear.
Don't let them get to you, same types thay lectured me because I said I hope it is more enjoyable than the first.

People are weird sometimes, your comment was perfectly fine.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It won't be.
Mental Health.

I think in terms of game design mechanics they will improve a lot, that why for H1 they have 1 combat designer now they have +11 combat/Action designer.

What we saw in the trailer is likely at the beginning of the game

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Probably should bail if it's getting to you because it's not worth the back and forth.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
lol the salt in this thread.

This is hands down the best looking game revealed so far (although Stalker 2 is close). And those complaining about gameplay, go play Hellblade 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let them get to you, same types thay lectured me because I said I hope it is more enjoyable than the first.

you should've seen the holy backlash when I went into dark souls remake thread and said "it looks ok but I'm not seeing the mind blowing"

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It's been some time since i played the first game but wasn't a lot of the fanciful things/monsters in her head?

That giant naked man trying to take a nap was clearly real... unless everyone is imaginary and this is Senua's bridge to terabithia.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
The graphics look insane! And such an oppressive atmosphere.
But the gameplay itself looked kinda "limited"? I wouldn't say "on-rails" but it definitely looked like the only action a player would be doing on that part was pressing up on the left analog stick. It doesn't mean the whole game is like this of course but it's something I noticed.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
One thing I want to note is that mocap on the game only recently resumed after Covid and the team spent 2 years training for Combat. It is likely to be implemented later in the design process.

Also, I'm not worried in the slightest about the combat due to the game's recently appointed co-director Rahni Tucker. She was the combat lead on DMC and director of Bleeding Edge which love it or hate it, had undeniably awesome combat. Hellblade will obviously not be some God of War style hack and slash, but they have a great combat team on the game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

It's so frustrating sometimes. *Shaking* BUT IS IT SUPER FUN??? It's like complaining about Films everytime there isn't an action scene. It's the biggest issue with how games are defined atm, you have games that are just fun arcadey experiences up against cinematic experiences and judged pretty much the same.

I've always said imagine the Oscars and your movie of the year award was: Parasite, MrBeasts Squid Game Video, Little Women, Great British Bake Off, Baby Shark Music Video. There's no separation in tone or experience or weight in the game industry and how they are perceived.

"little women looked cool, but I had way more fun watching Baby Shark Music Video"

(Dont want to derail the thread... Hellblade II looked fantastic and I'm so excited to see where they take it)

This, thank you.

It's fine if people don't want to play a game where gameplay isn't priority, but that's why diversity is a good thing, there's always something for everyone. Sometimes it seems like only indies are allowed to experiment and that sucks, let us have big budget games where fun isn't the focus.

No one would watch a drama movie and say "But where's the combat?", so let's do the same for games.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah, the "fun" discussion has run on for many years now. I think "enjoyment" is an equally important yard stick. You can enjoy something really bleak, it might not be fun.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This, thank you.

It's fine if people don't want to play a game where gameplay isn't priority, but that's why diversity is a good thing, there's always something for everyone. Sometimes it seems like only indies are allowed to experiment and that sucks, let us have big budget games where fun isn't the focus.

No one would watch a drama movie and say "But where's the combat?", so let's do the same for games.
Why thank posts like that that stem from such a needlessly condescending place?

Both of those people are being ridiculous, there is absolutely no need to take it to the places they did.

The first game's gameplay was widley criticised even by many of us who really liked the rest. Hoping it will be more enjoyable is a good thing, and that doesn't mean the ridiculous things the people you are thanking are saying.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Looks stunning, I just hope the gameplay is much much much better this time. ninja theory has never made a game with good gameplay outside DMC. Hopefully they take the best bits of Hellblade and make it more interactive and enjoyable

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This, thank you.

100%
I didn't even like the puzzles on Hell Blade, but loved the experience and the journey.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Yeah, no. They have a point here.

de·cent | \ ˈdē-sᵊnt \
Definition of decent
fairly good : ADEQUATE, SATISFACTORY

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when your recent post history has you losing your absolute mind at the graphics of certain other games, this does come off as "weird," just like one poster you quoted said. Are people not allowed to think that's weird?

You don't even answer the people asking you what do you think are examples of better graphical display but instead only lump-quote people opposing your post. It's almost like you don't even wish to have discourse about the topic at all...

I do not think anyone should argue against your post if you didn't think the first was fun and hope this one is. That's a perfectly legitimate criticism and people arguing against that are indeed ridiculous. That said, your post and his are not even comparable; you're not posting in bad faith.

It's been some time since i played the first game but wasn't a lot of the fanciful things/monsters in her head?

That giant naked man trying to take a nap was clearly real... unless everyone is imaginary and this is Senua's bridge to terabithia.

The Giant is definetely real but we don't know how much her mental illness plays a role with her surroundings just yet.

The trailer is alluding to the fact that he is Dillion, right? Clearly that can't be the case, and I'm guessing she is seeing what she wants to see because he is reaching out for her and calling her name...

Why thank posts like that that stem from such a needlessly condescending place?

Both of those people are being ridiculous, there is absolutely no need to take it to the places they did.

The first game's gameplay was widley criticised even by many of us who really liked the rest. Hoping it will be more enjoyable is a good thing, and that doesn't mean the ridiculous things the people you are thanking are saying.

Annnndddddd, you lost me there, lol. Ah well, to each their own.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. They have a point here.

de·cent | \ ˈdē-sᵊnt \
Definition of decent
fairly good : ADEQUATE, SATISFACTORY

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when your recent post history has you losing your absolute mind at the graphics of certain other games, this does come off as "weird," just like one poster you quoted said. Are people not allowed to think that's weird?

You don't even answer the people asking you what do you think are examples of better graphical display but instead only lump-quote people opposing your post. It's almost like you don't even wish to have discourse about the topic at all...

I do not think anyone should argue against your post if you didn't think the first was fun and hope this one is. That's a perfectly legitimate criticism and people arguing against that are indeed ridiculous. That said, your post and his are not even comparable; you're not posting in bad faith.

The Giant is definetely real but we don't know how much her mental illness plays a role with her surroundings just yet.

The trailer is alluding to the fact that he is Dillion, right? Clearly that can't be the case, and I'm guessing she is seeing what she wants to see because he is reaching out for her and calling her name...

Annnndddddd, you lost me there, lol. Ah well, to each their own.
Lost you where, sorry?

It was a common complaint that the gameplay of the first was lacking, that can easily be found by reading reviews and player feedback. That doesn't mean everyone thought it, just that concerns about gameplay in the second part are not coming from nowhere.

If you enjoyed the first that's great, it's not a secret that many didn't. I don't udnerstand why we can't talk about these things without it getting like this... lol

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
The scene where she watches her comrades engulfed in flames, was quite fire.

I definitely get the need for that heavy chromatic aberration buts shits getting turned off on first boot.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

Because calling these graphics decent is objectively wrong and ridiculous. If this is your bar for decent than almost nothing Is good

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they called it "real-time" people would be picking that apart too, claiming that real-time doesn't mean it's what the actual game is going to look like. It's ridiculous but that's exactly how it would go on these forums.

They labeled it correctly. A gameplay trailer. Because that's literally what it is. Gameplay. Someone playing the game.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

You aren't getting jumped on because you have opinions you are getting jumped on because, like Liliana pointed out, your post history reveals a fairly unsubtle bias.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

Im not sure it exists as she was seeing what he mind constructed in the first game. So the game could focus on her continued descent and struggles with her mental state. Or it could jump ship and turn mythology into reality while still having the mental health aspect. Guess it'll remain a mystery for now.

The same character came to mind as to who the giant could be but i feel like it would be a disservice to the first games story. I could see it being her father.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
One thing I want to note is that mocap on the game only recently resumed after Covid and the team spent 2 years training for Combat. It is likely to be implemented later in the design process.

Also, I'm not worried in the slightest about the combat due to the game's recently appointed co-director Rahni Tucker. She was the combat lead on DMC and director of Bleeding Edge which love it or hate it, had undeniably awesome combat. Hellblade will obviously not be some God of War style hack and slash, but they have a great combat team on the game.
On the contrary, I think NT is looking to step into the arena with GoW with this title. Obviously can't say for certain but if this shakes out like I think it will, HBII is gonna slap in the single player cinematic narrative driven realm, big time!

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

I'd prefer if they call it what it is, which is gameplay.
Calling it real time would have created a lot of problems, best to be clear.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Spear throws need better hit feedback… That looked dull as fuck. I expect them to fix it though..

mickcenary

Oct 27, 2017
As a technical showcase? Amazing. But as a "gameplay" reveal? Big, BIG meh.

I get not all games need to be system- and mechanics-rich masterworks, but to me, this reveal sums up the pitfall of advancing tech in video games: A marriage of dated, uninspired, overly cinematic game design with incongruent, polished visuals – because apparently the latter is all the consumer wants and/or needs nowadays.

I had similar feelings about the Demon's Souls remake while playing, but Demon's Souls is a provenly fantastic game devoid of hokey cinematic nonsense; it's just a bit old-school and "game-y" compared to what we have today – and the bonkers visuals simply draw more attention to that fact.

This looks like a straight-up borefest if we're to extrapolate an entire game cut from this six-minute cloth.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Their post history has nothing to do with the replies they got. Their original post was perfectly fair.

Not really, it would be like saying RDR2 looks "decent" and has "decent" animations. Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean it can't be objectively wrong

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, it would be like saying RDR2 looks "decent" and has "decent" animations. Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean it can't be objectively wrong
Yes, really. This is subjective, and the technical aspect of visuals is not the only thing. Artstyle is too. You have no right to tell anyone that their opinion it looks decent is wrong.

Also sometimes people just use words in a relaxed way, "it looks decent" can mean many things depending on the person's perspective.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Yes, really. This is subjective, and the technical aspect of visuals is not the only thing. Artstyle is too. You have no right to tell anyone that their opinion it looks decent is wrong.

It's really not subjective, you can dislike an art style or a general direction of the graphics but this trailer is objectively above "decent" graphically

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not subjective, you can dislike an art style or a general direction of the graphics but this trailer is objectively above "decent" graphically
And yet that person simply said the graphics look decent, and there are subjective parts to graphics... like artstyle.

So, again, you don't get to tell them they are wrong.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
And yet that person simply said the graphics look decent, and there are subjective parts to graphics... like artstyle.

So, again, you don't get to tell them they are wrong.

We know what he meant by the basic wording of his post and he refused to provide examples of games he thought looked better when asked by other posters.