• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
To the people who are unimpressed with what has been shown, what is out there that looks better?

There is too much sodium chloride in this thread.
Who is unimpressed with the graphics? Very few people doubt these graphics. The game looks stunning. It is among the very best looking games out there. People doubt the game behind it because they didn't like the first game and this looks like more of the same.

And for a gameplay reveal, there was basically no gameplay here minus "move forward" "aim" and "move backwards" frequently interrupted by cutscenes. This is a complaint you can see for literally every gameplay trailer that offers minimal gameplay. It has nothing to do with "people being salty because this is an Xbox exclusive". This thread is the Halo Infinite wins Player's Voice 2021 at The Game Awards all over again.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks incredible. I really couldn't get into the gameplay of the original, so I'm hoping with the bigger budget, they've made big changes there, because this game is a stunner to look at.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
People are so focused on the gameplay, but there was never this discourse when the first game was revealed. And it was never an issue holding it back when the first game released and impressed those who played it. And you don't make a sequel to an impressive game by not following the same template.

Hellblade isn't meant to be a Devil May Cry or God of War or Last of Us. It's meant to be a story experience bringing attention to mental health with some game play mixed in. More like a Telltale games, except with MUCH higher quality.

It's a statement game. An experience. And a pretty fucking important one too because of how hard it focuses on mental health and bringing awareness to it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Who is unimpressed with the graphics? Very few people doubt these graphics. The game looks stunning. It is among the very best looking games out there. People doubt the game behind it because they didn't like the first game and this looks like more of the same.

And for a gameplay reveal, there was basically no gameplay here minus "move forward" "aim" and "move backwards" frequently interrupted by cutscenes. This is a complaint you can see for literally every gameplay trailer that offers minimal gameplay. It has nothing to do with "people being salty because this is an Xbox exclusive". This thread is the Halo Infinite wins Player's Voice 2021 at The Game Awards all over again.
If you want a traditional hack and slash game, there are games out for that. Ninja Theory has done that type of game with Heavenly Sword, DmC, and Enslaved.

That is not what they are chasing with Hellblade. It is what some people want though.

They have more than enough time to show off this game. Lastly, this is something we see in almost every Xbox first party game. People are hype about BOTW 2, and we have seen nothing on it, people are hyped about Wolverine and all we have is a teaser trailer, and Ragnarok was revealed using a logo, and it was hype. Apart from Wolverine, what the other games entail is known just the way we know what Hellblade is. Does Ninja Theory change it up radically? Maybe the combat sequences, but this game was made to tell a story about a mental condition instead of being this game that would appeal to everyone.

Accept it for what it is.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
DigitalFoundry right now

XwI9wHq.gif

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Having never played the first game, this looked and sounded absolutely gorgeous. But boring.

We have this big monster crawling. This lady is running from it, shouting orders. Sometimes she wants dudes to spear it. Sometimes she spears it herself. Sometimes she wants fires lit. Sometimes she wants it to follow faster. Sometimes slower.

But there is no apparent rhyme or reason to why she shouts the orders that she does at any particular time. None of it matters. No matter what, the thing crawls on. If this is gameplay, I don't see much more than an ill-concieved on-rails setpiece. Prequel era George Lucas writing. It looks and sounds cool, that's enough apparently.

This has some serious copypasta vibes and I hope Era makes good use of it

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I have been here long enough to know that people always find something to complain about.

Microsoft showed Halo Infinite gameplay. It was fantastic from a gameplay perspective, and it played just as it plays today. What did people complain about? The visuals.

Microsoft showed off Hellblade II with what they described as a target, all rendered in engine, corroborated by Epic. What did people complain about? The complaint was that this was not what the game would look like when released, and that they wanted a fair representation of what the game would be.

They have shown what little they have of the game running and now people complain about wanting more gameplay from a game that is more than a year out. From a developer that last time shared developer diaries, and have been doing the same with this current game.

It is crazy. But people will be hype about logo's and teaser trailers.

This kind of argument comes up all the time (see Star Wars anything).

"People" are not a monolith. Different people will have different tastes, standards, and priorities, and they all have their own voices.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
This was a presentation of gameplay, meant to impress (and ultimately sell the game).
But the emphasis on "gameplay" before and after the presentation was not at all for the sake of gameplay. It was for the sake of graphics.
And wow, they really brought it with the graphics, kudos to them.
But this particular presentation failed to interest me (a potential newcomer) strictly as a presentation of gameplay for the sake of gameplay. It appeared too prompted, too guided, for my taste.

Does that make more sense?

Like you said, the emphasis on gameplay here was not necessarily to show you in depth gameplay mechanics, it was to show that this is what the level of graphical fidelity will be while playing the game.

The game is still over a year away, there will be plenty of other more gameplay oriented reveals in the future. I think people should just take what is presented and wait for more.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the expectation 1 or 2 more years? Hopefully these teases aren't generational.
The combat system is supposed to be a big part of the new game, they've got more people on board working on it (ex DMC lead) and have prepared their actors with 2 years worth of combat training. Looking forward to see what they'll come up with now they have a AAA production budget. Also, Jez Cordan believes it could be a wide-linear game, apparently they've invested alot in scanning vast swathes of Iceland.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Hellblade isn't meant to be a Devil May Cry or God of War or Last of Us. It's meant to be a story experience bringing attention to mental health with some game play mixed in. More like a Telltale games, except with MUCH higher quality.

It's a statement game. An experience. And a pretty fucking important one too because of how hard it focuses on mental health and bringing awareness to it.
If you want a traditional hack and slash game, there are games out for that. Ninja Theory has done that type of game with Heavenly Sword, DmC, and Enslaved.

That is not what they are chasing with Hellblade. It is what some people want though. They have more than enough time to show off this game.
And thank god for that. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was such a profoundly immersive and impactful experience, and I would hate to see the sequel get shoved into a box to morph into something that it was never designed to be.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
As we watched this on the game awards last night on my 75" TV, my wife asked me, "remember pong?"

This looks absolutely incredible.

If you truly think otherwise, and you really aren't just trolling, maybe try and remember where we came from.

Pong-FA-B1C1YX.jpg

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I mean, the first Helblade was already super pretty, but the gameplay, puzzles, combat, level design were severely bland, almost an afterthought. And nothing in this demo points to an improved game on a mechanical level. One would expect Ninja Theory to be bolder now that they have the financial stability provided by Microsoft.
Well I think the gameplay will be improved, considering they've hired the DMC combat designer iirc. Having said that the game is, as you noted in your post about audio, about mental health and thus will always be this cinematic experience.

Of course that doesn't mean the puzzles and combat of the first game shouldn't be improved. I think it should, too! But it could mean if you are looking for a completely different experience that you'll be disappointed. NT most likely will use the extra budget from MS to create even better immersion, so they can show people not knowing about or experiencing mental illness how these people feel. Not saying you do, but don't expect Devil May Cry gameplay.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
About the spoiler, I bet

You'd better avoid this game because, those rumors, are just one of the highlights of this Saga

I think I'll try it again, it's on sale on Steam will add it to my library there and give it a go some time.

Then stay away from this game. The voices are her
mental illness.

You should persist. The game was a huge deal for mental health and bringing awareness to it. What bothers you, is something some people live with on a daily basis and we should all experience it and get a taste of what some people have to live with. It's not trying to be dramatic or annoying.

The sound design is superb in Senua's Sacrifice, probably my favorite aspect of the game. The implementation of binaural audio creates an incredibly unsettling experience, it really fits the narrative and the overall theme of mental illness. I can see Ninja Theory doing some crazy things with the new 3D audio technology.

I'm aware of the why and what it's supposed to be, I find the idea itself interesting but I dunno, the whispering annoyed and unnerved me but I'm willing to try it again, I have better headphones now maybe that'll help.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like you said, the emphasis on gameplay here was not necessarily to show you in depth gameplay mechanics, it was to show that this is what the level of graphical fidelity will be while playing the game.

The game is still over a year away, there will be plenty of other more gameplay oriented reveals in the future. I think people should just take what is presented and wait for more.
Also for sure after the whole talk about the reveal and people thinking it was CGI. They now made sure people know its ingame.
If they wouldnt have said "gameplay reveal" we would have again alot of talk about CGI etc

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I have been here long enough to know that people always find something to complain about.

Microsoft showed Halo Infinite gameplay. It was fantastic from a gameplay perspective, and it played just as it plays today. What did people complain about? The visuals.

Microsoft showed off Hellblade II with what they described as a target, all rendered in engine, corroborated by Epic. What did people complain about? The complaint was that this was not what the game would look like when released, and that they wanted a fair representation of what the game would be.

They have shown what little they have of the game running and now people complain about wanting more gameplay from a game that is more than a year out. From a developer that last time shared developer diaries, and have been doing the same with this current game.

It is crazy. But people will be hype about logo's and teaser trailers.
Yeah but you and everyone enjoyed this trailer get so riled up that anyone can have any criticism about it. Yeah we get it, you like Xbox games, it looks pretty, but this doesn't make it immune to criticisms. Gameplay trailer with walking and running and you doing nothing is going to get criticised

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
This seems like a kind of game where you would need a good theater set up to play. The visuals, sound design, and scope are all working together to build a really immersive experience. While all of those things are absolutely jawdropping and reason enough to try the game out, I'm not sure how I feel about the game itself. Hellblade's depiction of mental health never sat right with me. I know Ninja Theory had consultants to make sure they got psychosis accurately, but to me it seems like they're using mental health issues as a justification to have really fantastical scenarios and that feels exploitative. "Oh don't worry, it's actually realistic the woman with psychosis imagines fighting giant man-like creatures and joins a demonic cult!"

I don't want this to seem I'm bashing the game just because it's Xbox. As I said, the game looks incredible. I just can't really get behind the "importance" of this when the subject material is used as a means to build a creative entertainment experience.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Expecting state of the art graphics from the richest company in the world is valid though.
You are moving goalposts.

You might have missed the memo, but the best looking games out today are Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5.

Hellblade II was the best looking game at TGA, and the best looking game shown coming on console on whatever platform.
Yeah but you and everyone enjoyed this trailer get so riled up that anyone can have any criticism about it. Yeah we get it, you like Xbox games, it looks pretty, but this doesn't make it immune to criticisms. Gameplay trailer with walking and running and you doing nothing is going to get criticised
I don't mind criticism. What I do not like is the bad faith argument. Why do we behave like we do not know this game was presented like this to show it off as a graphical showpiece?

This kind of argument comes up all the time (see Star Wars anything).

"People" are not a monolith. Different people will have different tastes, standards, and priorities, and they all have their own voices.
And there are different games for different tastes. Games shown in different ways to achieve different objectives. To most people, all they saw was a spectacular graphical feat of what might be capable on these systems. That is what people are talking about.

And thank god for that. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was such a profoundly immersive and impactful experience, and I would hate to see the sequel get shoved into a box to morph into something that it was never designed to be.
Some people do not get that.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Watched this in 4k and it looks incredible. UE5 is doing great things for asset density...this was my number one ask for this gen, and we are really getting there. Funnily enough, the character rendering of Senua, and particularly the way the light interacts with her, didn't impress me much. In fact, I think there are quite a few nicer looking models out there. Also watched after Suicide Squad where the facial animation is really good.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Damn, looks so good! Really looking forward to seeing more next-gen only games.
I understand your point, but I also feel like MS needed something that was basically a tech-demo for Xbox. They have gameplay sewn up all over the place these days but they were, for such a long time, crying out for something to really show off the tech.

Of course there's the #whynotboth argument, but I'd take a super-linear/limited game with a good story that had eye-bleedingly good graphics on this occasion. We don't know what we're getting yet but I don't think it will have the openness/ dynamism of something like Ragnarok/HorizonFW.

It's not going to be that type of game and the graphics of this gameplay alone far exceed either of those, but maybe at the risk of more limited gameplay.

Either way, all 3 are going to be great.
Even if Hellblade 2 won't have the openness/dynamism of HFW and Ragnarok, the whynotboth argument isn't unreasonable. Visual fidelity of Horizon FW as a crossgen game isn't worlds apart from this and this is running on high end PC. No one wants a tech demo, it needs to be a complete package and there will be other games which will look just as good.

Like I don't think anyone will mind if the game turns out to be super linear, and first Hellblade worked well as this small scale, almost visual novel type of indie game, but imo NT definitely needs to make the gameplay more engaging to take that next step and make this a worthy sequel now when they have the budget to do it.
I'd say the problem some have here is more with the gameplay they did show. We don't really know anything yet and it's best to just remain patient, but it can't be denied that the part that is player controlled in that video is very restrictive, and folks just draw their conclusions from there.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Also for sure after the whole talk about the reveal and people thinking it was CGI. They now made sure people know its ingame.
If they wouldnt have said "gameplay reveal" we would have again alot of talk about CGI etc

This doesn't look CG at all. As great as it looks, it is a step back from the last reveal. However, it shouldn't even be compared because the original reveal has been claimed by credible folks to be an offline render.

I just watched the trailer again in 4K on my LG OLED and it goes heavy on the post-processing which maybe is tricking folks into thinking it's CG? Nonetheless, it is fantastic looking and some of the animations is really a step forward.

The trailer is dripping in atmosphere, that's for sure. I wonder how much location variety will be in the final game?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You are moving goalposts.

You might have missed the memo, but the best looking games out today are Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5.

Hellblade II was the best looking game at TGA, and the best looking game shown coming on console on whatever platform.

I don't mind criticism. What I do not like is the bad faith argument. Why do we behave like we do not know this game was presented like this to show it off as a graphical showpiece?

And there are different games for different tastes. Games shown in different ways to achieve different objectives. To most people, all they saw was a spectacular graphical feat of what might be capable on these systems. That is what people are talking about.

Some people do not get that.
You were talking about the Halo reveal. I even quotet that part of your post. Who is moving the goalposts here?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't look CG at all. As great as it looks, it is a step back from the last reveal. However, it shouldn't even be compared because the original reveal has been claimed by credible folks to be an offline render.

I just watched the trailer again in 4K on my LG OLED and it goes heavy on the post-processing which maybe is tricking folks into thinking it's CG? Nonetheless, it is fantastic looking and some of the animations is really a step forward.

The trailer is dripping in atmosphere, that's for sure. I wonder how much location variety will be in the final game?
I am saying the just made sure now. Even tho there wasnt much pure gameplay. That everyone now gets its ingame.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
This seems like a kind of game where you would need a good theater set up to play. The visuals, sound design, and scope are all working together to build a really immersive experience. While all of those things are absolutely jawdropping and reason enough to try the game out, I'm not sure how I feel about the game itself. Hellblade's depiction of mental health never sat right with me. I know Ninja Theory had consultants to make sure they got psychosis accurately, but to me it seems like they're using mental health issues as a justification to have really fantastical scenarios and that feels exploitative. "Oh don't worry, it's actually realistic the woman with psychosis imagines fighting giant man-like creatures and joins a demonic cult!"

I don't want this to seem I'm bashing the game just because it's Xbox. As I said, the game looks incredible. I just can't really get behind the "importance" of this when the subject material is used as a means to build a creative entertainment experience.
Have you played the original all the way through? Your post reads like you haven't or you've forgotten a lot of key elements of the story and Senua's background.

Worth remembering that those consultants also included people who actually have mental health issues to make sure their representation wasn't exploitative or making light of serious health conditions.

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'd say the problem some have here is more with the gameplay they did show. We don't really know anything yet and it's best to just remain patient, but it can't be denied that the part that is player controlled in that video is very restrictive, and folks just draw their conclusions from there.
So what? This game is probably coming out in 2023. How many games coming out in 2023 have gameplay feed shown?

You were talking about the Halo reveal. I even quotet that part of your post. Who is moving the goalposts here?
You are. What were you complaining about some pages back? Oh, I hope that this game is not the same as the original and all that. Missing the point that this game strives to be different.

My Halo reference was to show how people always find something to complain about. If you show gameplay, they will nitpick graphics. If you show something great graphically, they will complain about something else......in this case, it is gameplay or Senua's face. If it is pointed out that this is graphically solid, some will complain about gameplay............always something.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, looks so good! Really looking forward to seeing more next-gen only games.

Even if Hellblade 2 won't have the openness/dynamism of HFW and Ragnarok, the whynotboth argument isn't unreasonable. Visual fidelity of Horizon FW as a crossgen game isn't worlds apart from this and this is running on high end PC. No one wants a tech demo, it needs to be a complete package and there will be other games which will look just as good.

It's about a generation apart. Most of the current gen only footage that are pushing visuals make the best of cross gen look cross gen.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I watched the reveal live during the game awards last night, and was surprised by some of the comments in this thread. I rewatched the trailer this morning (Youtube 4k, on my 55in 4K TV) then revisited the thread. I can't help buy feel like anyone who was/is dismissing the graphical achievements shown in this trailer were/are doing so in bad faith. I can understand criticisms of what counts for gameplay, that's fine, but to me this was in line with the first game as far as that goes.

The textures, geometric detail, animation, facial detail, and physics all look incredible.

Oct 29, 2017
Graphically it looks amazing.

I'm really curious to know how this will compare gameplay-wise to the original. Bigger scope, more open levels, more intricate combat..? Really excited to see how it pans out!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
People should watch this vid from June. They talk about more about the game. Not wanting to do a straight up sequel. Creating large landscapes etc

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018

*confused face

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah facial detail and lighting is a bit pared down compared to the original (likely offline) render, but it's still mindblowing and the best looking thing we've seen so far this gen. Ball's on Naughty Dog's court I guess (and Guerrilla when they don't have to support PS4) :D

Sony should have held on to these guys back in the day. Microsoft's luck!

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
The aggressive depth of field, film grain, and chromatic aberration make it kind of difficult to make out details.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah facial detail and lighting is a bit pared down compared to the original (likely offline) render, but it's still mindblowing and the best looking thing we've seen so far this gen. Ball's on Naughty Dog's court I guess (and Guerrilla when they don't have to support PS4) :D

Sony should have held on to these guys back in the day. Microsoft's luck!

This is pretty much the only game we have seen from either company that is 2023 or beyond. I expect other studios to at least match this visually, but yeah I would agree that this is the most impressive game we have seen so far. The Matrix footage looks even more impressive though, so there is further to push I reckon. As for something like Horizon FW, it still looks incredible to me and I am more excited for it than this, but I think aspects of rendering and lighting could have improved if they went full current gen.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
To the people who are unimpressed with what has been shown, what is out there that looks better?

There is too much sodium chloride in this thread.

This was my most hyped game in terms of a next-gen showcase. I thought it could maybe look like the original teaser, but in the end while impressive and yes possibly the best actual game out there, I can still see the flaws in the pop-in, animation, shadows, lighting etc, that weren't present in the reveal. Currently I am still more impressed by the UE5 Reveal Demo.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So what? This game is probably coming out in 2023. How many games coming out in 2023 have gameplay feed shown?

You are. What were you complaining about some pages back? Oh, I hope that this game is not the same as the original and all that. Missing the point that this game strives to be different.

My Halo reference was to show how people always find something to complain about. If you show gameplay, they will nitpick graphics. If you show something great graphically, they will complain about something else......in this case, it is gameplay or Senua's face. If it is pointed out that this is graphically solid, some will complain about gameplay............always something.
It's a game, of course people will speculate about the gameplay. And the shown segment wasn't great to highlight the gameplay. It was a graphical showcase with little to no gameplay. There are better ways to do a gameplay reveal.

And the nitpicking, it has always been like this. People complained about fucking puddles in Spider-Man.

It's okay to nitpick. Some people in the Horizon Forbidden West thread claim that it looks "cross-gen" ... I mean, to each its own.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
My god, everyone needs to chill, that was clearly the opening of the game or something like that. There will be combat as well, I'm sure we will see it sooner or later, there will be more trailers.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The aggressive depth of field, film grain, and chromatic aberration make it kind of difficult to make out details.
Not really, you can see everything you need to see. The game is fine, graphically, and for a game which is being created by a "AA" team meaning that NT doesn't have 100s of artists working on this one.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Lol, so what? You're here talking about how "there is too much sodium chloride in this thread" and asking why some seem to be unimpressed. There's you answer. I'm not against you or one of those people, and you don't need to convince me about anything. I'm sure the game will be absolutely great.
It's about a generation apart. Most of the current gen only footage that are pushing visuals make the best of cross gen look cross gen.
Okay. It looks really good and definitely better than cross gen games, but considering how good Horizon FW also looks there's nothing here or "worlds apart" graphically that would justify Hellblade 2 being a tech demo type of experience, which was the whole point here if you even read the post I was replying to.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah facial detail and lighting is a bit pared down compared to the original (likely offline) render, but it's still mindblowing and the best looking thing we've seen so far this gen
Her model was realtime all along. Epic among others confirmed this for the first trailer from 2020.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Game looks really good graphically. But if this is what they got to show for gameplay, I'm guessing this game is a 2023 joint and is still a ways off