• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow, I Fix equipment for a living and this is ludicrous to me. There are times when an issue is intermittent and can not be isolated in 5 minutes . My Samsung phones does not work when I zoom in, this would drive me up the wall if I sent it in and a full functionality test was not performed. I can't imagine being a technician and not getting proper time to perform troubleshooting tasks .

I can't comment to how other companies do things, but I'm guessing more people send in phones than consoles, and with phones a lot of issues will be down to the user breaking it then trying to pass it off as a fault, so maybe console faults are checked more robustly

I had 8 people in my team and we were only looking at phones from one region of the UK and we'd still have 100s of phones to check a day between us (I'm sure some were being sent in multiple times due to how we'd not really catch a lot of intermittent issues)

I think the volume of phones would have been an issue for the technicians, and there were a lot that did seem to be fine. If the fault is something like "touch screen doesn't work" and I go into the touch screen test and it works flawlessly for me 3 times in a row, there isn't much a technician can do as it seems to be working fine. All they would do is check the same test then send it back to my team to be sent back to the customer

Edit: This is off topic now but I have some weird stories about this job, because the phones were high value I'd need to go through what was essentially airport security to get in and out of my office, and this took ages, and because my breaks were only 30mins, I'd have to waste 5mins getting out my office, 3 mins walking to the break room, then I'd have 14mis to wolf down my lunch, and then 3 mins to walk back, and 5 mins to get back through the security checks, or I'd get a warning

Also it would blow your mind if you knew how many people sent in their phones to be fixed with nudes on them. The girl training me on my first day found them on the first phone we looked at and she didn't even blink. I said that's pretty embarrassing for them, and she just shrugged and said she sees it on about a third of phones she looks at. Which was petty much accurate

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Just got off the phone with support, I played them the sound and explained that I was reluctant to just send it in again after having my time wasted, and asked for a manager. They said they're going to escalate the issue and get a supervisor to call me back as soon as possible, so hopefully something can be sorted whenever that happens.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Anecdotal but I'm having some 'problems' with Playstation UK. Sent my details to get a PSVR Camera Adaptor for PS5. They said they shipped it - didn't get one. I sent my details again saying I didn't get it, this was a hassle in its self, they said they shipped it - didn't get one. I get in touch saying 'hey this is daft', they said they shipped it - didn't get one. So if I want to continue this nonsense it will be the 4th PSVR Camera Adaptor for PS5 I'll be getting in touch with them for. Which is absurd. I've generally had pretty good service over the years with Playstation UK so was surprised to hear OP's woes and my inability to get a PSVR adaptor from them.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
My PS5 does that only on vertical, not horizontal. :(
But i completely forgot about that noise because i barely ever use physical media (ironically since i put it on vertical).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My PS5 does that only on vertical, not horizontal. :(
But i completely forgot about that noise because i barely ever use physical media (ironically since i put it on vertical).

You should probably get it swapped while you still have warranty on it. It's not a normal noise - your disc drive is fucked. Don't just accept that!

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
You should probably get it swapped while you still have warranty on it. It's not a normal noise - your disc drive is fucked. Don't just accept that!

I have a 2 year warranty and 3 extra years of insurance (so 5 overall). It's not like i'm accepting this...it's more like i'm trying for the PS5 to be more readily available before doing this. Otherwise i have a feeling i won't have the PS5 for like 2 months or something similar to the OP will happen. In a time i'm basically at home quarantined and after i already sold my PS4, have none of them would suck. But you're right, i do have to do something about it.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
You can go without a PS5 for a while if the option is "put up with it" or "not have a PS5".

That noise is unacceptable and I'd be scared to put a disc in. My PS3 made a similar noise once and ruined a disc.

Oct 27, 2017
If the PS4 and PS4 pro fans didn't make it apparent enough, Sony does not give a single fuck about console noise.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus that is terrible. Is this sort of thing common? I want to buy a PS5 partially because my PS4 is so loud.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Sony support is crap.

I have one game on my PS5 that won't launch (padlock icon) since PS5 release. They send me the same stock email every fee weeks to reassure me that their best people are all over it.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Just got off the phone with support, I played them the sound and explained that I was reluctant to just send it in again after having my time wasted, and asked for a manager. They said they're going to escalate the issue and get a supervisor to call me back as soon as possible, so hopefully something can be sorted whenever that happens.

"Escalating the issue" usually doesn't help the end user, unfortunately. Don't give up and keep up the pressure!

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
OP, don't bother with Sony, they are useless. You should contact GAME and ask for a replacement as they are obligated to replace it for you if faulty within 6 months. They are receiving new PS5s weekly now so you shouldn't need to wait long if you can get in touch with them.

OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
OP, don't bother with Sony, they are useless. You should contact GAME and ask for a replacement as they are obligated to replace it for you if faulty within 6 months. They are receiving new PS5s weekly now so you shouldn't need to wait long if you can get in touch with them.

A concern I have is that I needed to use to white inner box with the handle to send my console back to Sony, as I didn't have anything else and I wasn't aware at the time that they wouldn't send that box back. Bit of a stupid move on my part in hindsight so I'm not sure I can go the GAME route now as I don't have all of the original packaging (unless that doesn't matter).

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Mine did this sound but healed by itself. It was horizontal for me and not vertical when my console did this sound

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
A concern I have is that I needed to use to white inner box with the handle to send my console back to Sony, as I didn't have anything else and I wasn't aware at the time that they wouldn't send that box back. Bit of a stupid move on my part in hindsight so I'm not sure I can go the GAME route now as I don't have all of the original packaging (unless that doesn't matter).

Maybe see if you can speak to someone at Game to explain that. Dunno, can't hurt.

Obviously this is all made harder by not being able to go into a store!

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
Won't matter as long as you have the console itself. Last time I RMAd something with GAME they actually sent me a box to put the console in.

OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe see if you can speak to someone at Game to explain that. Dunno, can't hurt.

Obviously this is all made harder by not being able to go into a store!

I suppose it couldn't hurt, I'm not sure if they've brought back their online chat yet though! Either way I'll wait a few days and see how this supervisor thing pans out with Sony.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it changed in the last year or so GAME will probably send the OP to Sony, there was some kerfuffle about Sony being unhappy about too much hardware being sent back to them as faulty which they deemed wasn't actually faulty, so then they took full charge of returns off GAME's hands (Microsoft and Nintendo stuff remained the same) and staff had no option to actually do anything to help customers at store level.

I know, consumer rights in the UK etc. says otherwise but quite frankly no companies care about that until you raise enough stink that they start to fear legal intervention, so the OP may as well try and see where they get with Sony once more before trying with GAME.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

Once you speak to someone in escalations ask them again about getting a box to ship it in.

Also: did they really say they 'exhaustively' tested the unit? To me, giving them the benefit of the doubt as a former tech, it sounds like they weren't experiencing the issue and couldn't reproduce it. That's incredibly common (and frustrating) when a user experiences an issue and we can't reproduce it to fix it. It usually ends up in the user putting in more tickets and us spending even more time trying to figure it out. If I had a dollar for every time I walked up to someone's desk and they suddenly weren't having the problem.... (to be clear, I believe them 100%, as I do you)

So it could be something as simple as the act of shipping it to them jostled a part inside in such a way that the noise isn't happening, and then upon shipping back it was jostled right back. Or difference in air pressure (literally had a laptop that made loud buzzing noises when used on a plane but never on the ground) or something bizarre like that.

OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it changed in the last year or so GAME will probably send the OP to Sony, there was some kerfuffle about Sony being unhappy about too much hardware being sent back to them as faulty which they deemed wasn't actually faulty, so then they took full charge of returns off GAME's hands (Microsoft and Nintendo stuff remained the same) and staff had no option to actually do anything to help customers at store level.

I know, consumer rights in the UK etc. says otherwise but quite frankly no companies care about that until you raise enough stink that they start to fear legal intervention, so the OP may as well try and see where they get with Sony once more before trying with GAME.

Well fuck, guess I'm at Sony's mercy on this then. I mean if they don't get back to me in the next few days I'll maybe try Game anyway, but we'll see, I'm hoping a supervisor will actually get back to me and offer some form of recourse. This shit sucks though, I'm engrossed in Control right now and Crash 4's out soon. It would be great if they could just send a replacement out but I don't think they'll do that.

PS Support's response
OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
So I just received an email from PlayStation Support this morning, interestingly enough asking me for a link to the video of the noise and giving me a case number, so I've sent that to them along with some more details about the issue and (calmly/politely) expressed my frustration with the situation.

Here's hoping something is actually done, but it's encouraging that the issue was indeed escalated and they even got back to me about it.

Console replaced!
OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
So a couple of weeks ago Sony asked me to send my console in again. I figured I didn't have much to lose, I was more interested in using my Series S at the time, so I just figured I'd give it a try and complain again if it came back unchanged. And, well.....they actually gave me a (seemingly) brand new console! The disc drive sounds totally normal, and coil whine/fan noise seem more or less the same as my old one. They even sent me a new white box for it, great as I didn't get back my old one.

Overall I'm happy with the result, but this should not have taken the time and effort it took. I really hope Sony can improve their UK Support in the future, because prior to today, it was a thoroughly miserable experience that I never want to go through again.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So a couple of weeks ago Sony asked me to send my console in again. I figured I didn't have much to lose, I was more interested in using my Series S at the time, so I just figured I'd give it a try and complain again if it came back unchanged. And, well.....they actually gave me a (seemingly) brand new console! The disc drive sounds totally normal, and coil whine/fan noise seem more or less the same as my old one. They even sent me a new white box for it, great as I didn't get back my old one.

Overall I'm happy with the result, but this should not have taken the time and effort it took. I really hope Sony can improve their UK Support in the future, because prior to today, it was a thoroughly miserable experience that I never want to go through again.

Glad to see a positive end to the story!

Just a tip for the future, any time you're dealing with high ticket electronic return situations, make a note of the serial number or some other identifier on it before sending it off to compare to what you get back. Removes any guesswork to whether it was replaced or not.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Good to hear, but yeah, they should have gotten it right on the first go around.

Hopefully this isn't a continuous thing others go through too. Enjoy your silence!

OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see a positive end to the story!

Just a tip for the future, any time you're dealing with high ticket electronic return situations, make a note of the serial number or some other identifier on it before sending it off to compare to what you get back. Removes any guesswork to whether it was replaced or not.

Oh I definitely did that, this new one has a different serial number compared to my old one.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I'll share something that happened to me. My R2 trigger broke and I sent to Playstation Brazil to fix it. It took 50 days to not repair, and they sent me a used controller, very dusty and with hair in the D-Pad and next to the touch pad.

Lots of stains in the back....

I'm pissed.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
My issue isn't as bad as this by a long shot and after seeing this and hearing some stories I'm extremely hesitant to send it away to be fixed. Mines just a high pitched humming noise coming from the fan. I think I'll just make do tbh.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
My console has made that noise a couple of times when watching a 4K movie

i don't have any physical games so not sure if it's persistent or not

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Agree but isn't the issue right now they have no stock to replace them with.

Pretty shocking OP. Send it back again.
There should be stock available for console replacements. I sent mine in a few weeks ago and had a new replacement sent back to me the next day, so end-to-end it was 5 business days from shipping box to returned console.

Admittedly, I'm in Canada and not the UK but I would hope Sony would have a similar support model setup there as well.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
I've had a little bit of this problem too - I keep my console vertical and the other day when I first put in Crash 4 the disk drive started screaming at me. But it stopped once it was done actually reading data, and so far I've not had that issue with anything else. Hope it doesn't get worse lol.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I have heard that kind of noise in other optical drives before. If the disc loads then I can see why Sony would consider it as "no problem".

Glad that OP go it replaced but I'm guessing only because of the twitter post.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why didn't you go direct through GAME? I only ever deal with direct manufacturer customer support when I'm out of the stores 1 year warranty period (or more if you get extra like at John Lewis)

G_O

Oct 28, 2017

Hi there, roughly how long did they take to return the console? Mine was collected today. Really hoping to have it back for resident evil 8 but its unlikely.

OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Hi there, roughly how long did they take to return the console? Mine was collected today. Really hoping to have it back for resident evil 8 but its unlikely.

It was more or less two weeks for me when all was said and done. Hope you get yours back in time!

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Mine got same problem it was during the launch windows (early december) they change it without any issue, canada here.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
It was more or less two weeks for me when all was said and done. Hope you get yours back in time!
My PS5 has shipped back to me as of Monday and due here by Friday. They only received it on Friday of last week. So they must work weekends and bank holidays

Anyway I notice you got yours back and same issue persisted. Hoping it is not a repeat for mine

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
My PS5 has shipped back to me as of Monday and due here by Friday. They only received it on Friday of last week. So they must work weekends and bank holidays

Anyway I notice you got yours back and same issue persisted. Hoping it is not a repeat for mine
meanwhile over here the Sony customer service said the eta for repairs is currently 3-4 weeks, not expecting to see my controllers back for a while...

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
meanwhile over here the Sony customer service said the eta for repairs is currently 3-4 weeks, not expecting to see my controllers back for a while...
I also sent one of my controllers back on same day as a separate RMA. No sign yet of that shipping back yet. But I have another controller so as long as I get my console by Friday in time for RE8 Im happy!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Any experience I had with Sony customer support was just so terrible, I always assumed it was just because I was in Canada and when you called in it was clear we had their US team even though it was the Canadian number.
I guess them being terrible is not Canada centric, good luck OP

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Try contacting your bank for a refund depending how you paid or alternatively contact game. In the UK Retailers will usually just do a swap. But considering stock you would probably be offered credit.

That's more for other people who aren't having any luck with Sony repairs.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Check your warranty duration on the new unit to make sure it's not reduced lower since it is a replacement.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Check your warranty duration on the new unit to make sure it's not reduced lower since it is a replacement.

I've only ever seen this if it's an out of warranty repair, like 90 day warranty, or something similar. There's no way a manufacturer can void a first year warranty for a repair/replacement, at least not that I've experienced anyway.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I haven't lived in the UK for a long time but I would always take products back to the place I bought them, they used to be legally obliged to replace it for you if it's within a year of purchase unless they specified differently when you purchased it?

Funnily in Korea you have to return it to a service centre, I assume most post it but I just walked in off the street with my PS4 expecting it to be like Apple but it was just a room full of equipment ... I think they were so surprised they just swapped my console for a new one.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Always hear negative stories from UK support, even for Nintendo. What's the endemic issue there. Just because it's a smaller market and less resources are put in?