• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
So long story short, I got a PS5 from GAME in the UK at launch, and out of the box, the disc drive made a horrific grinding noise 80% of the time while the console is vertical. So I figured that, since PS support were likely to be swamped at launch, I would wait a couple of months and then send it in, and for the time being keep the console horizontal (which mostly sorts the issue out). It's kind of difficult to ignore the noise, it can get extremely loud....

Fast forward to late last month and I finally call PlayStation support, explain the issue and I'm told to send the console in for repair. I was reluctant, but so far it seemed like the customer service rep recognised it as an issue so I had hopes it would be sorted out and was willing to part with my console for a couple of weeks if it meant getting shot of the noise. Last week, my console returned... and their repair team did absolutely nothing about it, they only factory reset my console and updated to the latest firmware. The letter said they tested it "exhaustively", yet the second I put a disc in, I was greeted by the exact same grinding noise. I've tried pretty much all troubleshooting steps as well, and no dice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful that I have one, I love it to bits and I do feel a bit pedantic for making this thread, but at this point I'm mostly annoyed that I was told to send my console in only for it to be a waste of time. I haven't really had the heart to contact Sony again yet, and returning to Game isn't really an option either due to the stock situation, so I'm not really sure what recourse I have at this point and to be honest I just really wanted to play some games that I hadn't been able to play in that couple of weeks.

My current plan is to just wait until I'm out of the warranty period and until I'm sure my unit won't just break down on, go mostly digital for the time being and then and just look at it myself. Thoughts, Era?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Having heard the noise in person, it's an absolute joke they deem that an acceptable level of noise.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lmao that noise is horrendous, I'm sure they really tested it exhaustively!
Very poor from Sony

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
You shouldn't apologize for expecting the product you paid a lot of money for to work. It's pretty shitty they deem that OK. If I was you I'd be right back on the phone to them to tell them to fix it properly.

Don't stand for bad service!

Karax9699

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
Send it back again, I would not accept that repair and I'd make that very clear. I had a similar situation with my series X and sent it to Microsoft, and they just straight up replaced it. I'd have expected Sony to at-least do similar. What they've given you isn't acceptable.

DefiedFaith

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I had the same exact issue with my PS5 but luckily they replaced the Blu-ray drive for me. You should definitely send it back. Hope you get it sorted.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No idea how Sony does this, but years ago I worked for a contractor for Samsung checking phones people sent in with faults. We'd have 5 mins to try and replicate the fault. If we could, it went to an engineer to fix, and if we couldn't, it was factory reset and returned to the customer

So I'd get a box of 50 phones, and they'd have notes like "camera fault" or "colours display incorrectly" or "doesn't receive calls" and I'd have literally 5 mins to check each one.

If it says "camera fault", and I turned the front and back cam on, and saw no fault within 30 seconds, it would go back to the customer after being reset

Other parts of the company were doing the same for TVs and fridges, again with only a few mins to find the fault

It was the worst job I've ever had

If your console worked ok even some of the time, and if Sony also work like this, chances are someone turned it on, waited 30 seconds and sent it back to you

Oct 29, 2017
I'd absolutely be sending it back, and escalate it to someone senior. You shouldn't have to do this and it's clear they've done nothing, it's not good enough.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Call and send it back again. That is not acceptable no matter what stock the PS5 has. You paid for it.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
hello OP,

we're sorry to hear about your reported concern regarding the fastest selling playstation console, the next generation playstation 5. we are sure you're excited to play the latest games featuring ray tracing and 3D audio so we ask you to carry out the following steps to fix the issue:

sonic is sending out bad negawaves

please remove all sonics from the vacinity and try again

thank you for your continued custom and see you in Destruction Allstars, currently free on PS+, very soon!

playstation customer support

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!!!.....but weirdly only with 4k movie blurays?!
The noise stays loud like that until the movie starts playing then it get's quiet. (in the movie menu it's still loud)

But feel for you. Stupid Sony doing stupid shit.

OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same exact issue with my PS5 but luckily they replaced the Blu-ray drive for me. You should definitely send it back. Hope you get it sorted.

Are you in the UK? I've heard some reports of UK PS Support being a bit too lax on these sorts of issues. As in, if it *works*, that's good enough for them.

Really didn't want to have to go through the repair process again but sounds like I may need to. I'll give support another call when I get chance, not sure what exactly to say but I'll figure it out. Thanks everyone!

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Well OP I'd go back to the retailer and get it changed under the consumer rights act. I appreciate that might not be straight forward right now but in this instance you have up to 6 months to perfectly expect a replacement under the legislation.

As a side note - Retailers are far too quick to fob people off to the manufacturer where it's they that are responsible for sorting you out with a replacement at this point.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You spent a good amount of money for a console, you shouldn't feel bad trying to get that properly resolved.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well OP I'd go back to the retailer and get it changed under the consumer rights act. I appreciate that might not be straight forward right now but in this instance you have up to 6 months to perfectly expect a replacement under the legislation.

As a side note - Retailers are far too quick to fob people off to the manufacturer where it's they that are responsible for sorting you out with a replacement at this point.

Agree but isn't the issue right now they have no stock to replace them with.

Pretty shocking OP. Send it back again.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
PlayStation Support strikes again. I think we should be suprised that they didnt return it even more fucked up.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Are you in the UK? I've heard some reports of UK PS Support being a bit too lax on these sorts of issues. As in, if it *works*, that's good enough for them.

Really didn't want to have to go through the repair process again but sounds like I may need to. I'll give support another call when I get chance, not sure what exactly to say but I'll figure it out. Thanks everyone!
You're in the UK and well protected under the consumer rights act. Time to get on to Game.

DefiedFaith

Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I'm in the US.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Damn, that's louder than I expected. Definitely not something I'd put up with. Though I don't understand what you mean when you say you haven't had the heart to ring Sony back? Should do it straight away. You spent a lot of money on that console and will, most likely, continue to spend a lot of money on games. You're perfectly justified in ringing them back and saying they didn't fix shit and wasted your time.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm told to send the console in for repair. I was reluctant, but so far it seemed like the customer service rep recognised it as an issue so I had hopes it would be sorted out
The customer service rep probably did recognise it as an issue, but their involvement with your PS5's issue almost certainly ended seconds after the phone call did.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I know that 'take it back to the retailer' is the correct answer but, if I was OP, I'd be trying the Sony route at the moment too.

Firstly, the UK is still in the middle of a nationwide lockdown and all stores are closed. Game are literally shutters down, haven't been open since Christmas. They have online channels but it's not as easy as strolling into a store and speaking to a human. Game online support aren't the greatest.

Secondly, Game don't have any more PS5s. I don't know if it's the right assumption, but I'd hazard a guess that I'd be sorted out by Sony better than I would a highstreet shitty game store that has thousands of backlogged orders.

I'm sorry OP. But send it back again! Demand to speak to someone higher up if you can!

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Wow, that's an awful sound. I wouldn't put up with that.

I would immediately call Sony support again until they fix it.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in the UK, you are protected under consumer rights laws and are legally entitled to request a replacement. Do it.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Send it back. Sony have to fix this pronto.

EDIT; If you're in the UK OP, if you paid for the PS5 via credit card, you also have Section 75 protection where the lender (i.e. credit card provider) is jointly liable for the PS5.

www.moneysavingexpert.com

Section 75 Refunds

Section 75 protects your purchases over ÂŁ100 if you use a credit card. This MoneySavingExpert guide tells you how to reclaim if something goes wrong.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that sound lol. Sorry for your problem OP but serious that sound just like when my wife making juice with blender. If i were you I will call them and send it again.

OP
OP
Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's louder than I expected. Definitely not something I'd put up with. Though I don't understand what you mean when you say you haven't had the heart to ring Sony back? Should do it straight away. You spent a lot of money on that console and will, most likely, continue to spend a lot of money on games. You're perfectly justified in ringing them back and saying they didn't fix shit and wasted your time.

Mostly because I felt really defeated when I got it back. It was just time wasted. Definitely going to try and get this sorted though, it's not acceptable.

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't you return it to the place you bought it from, as its clearly not working as intended. They may tell you to return it to Sony however UK consumer rights mean the seller is responsible for ensuring the product is fit for purpose.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
As other have allready said I would call back and immediately ask for a manager or equivalent. Calmly explain the situation to this person and ask them that you wish to be compensated for wasting your time... they won't..
but as an alternative ask them to expedite your repair this time round (a blu ray replacement) and keep you informed of the progress.

As a company they have a duty of care to thier customers in regards to the products which they are happy to sell you. And as a consumer you have every right to expect a level of customer service that they should be providing.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No idea how Sony does this, but years ago I worked for a contractor for Samsung checking phones people sent in with faults. We'd have 5 mins to try and replicate the fault. If we could, it went to an engineer to fix, and if we couldn't, it was factory reset and returned to the customer

So I'd get a box of 50 phones, and they'd have notes like "camera fault" or "colours display incorrectly" or "doesn't receive calls" and I'd have literally 5 mins to check each one.

If it says "camera fault", and I turned the front and back cam on, and saw no fault within 30 seconds, it would go back to the customer after being reset

Other parts of the company were doing the same for TVs and fridges, again with only a few mins to find the fault

If your console worked ok even some of the time, and if Sony also work like this, chances are someone turned it on, waited 30 seconds and sent it back to you
This probably explains it, I bet they tested it laid down and it worked fine.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
That sucks. I had a problem that followed a similar course a few years back, but with Xbox support. Twice I mailed in my new XB1 with an issue (connection with controllers kept dropping out), and twice I got it back with the same issue. After that, I took it to Game and they swapped it for a new one and that was that fixed. With the stores shut now, and with the new, dilapidated Mike Ashley's Game having cut down on customer support resources online, that may be more of a challenge, so I guess do what you're doing and make a fuss with Sony might be the best immediate option.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
My guess: they only tested it horizontally because of some oversight and it didn't make noise so they shipped it back...

Or maybe they tested it vertically and it didn't make the noise because of some fluke.

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
My guess: they only tested it horizontally because of some oversight and it didn't make noise so they shipped it back...

Or maybe they tested it vertically and it didn't make the noise because of some fluke.
In my case it doesn't matter which way you put it.....the sound is always loud as OP's.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD

Wow, I Fix equipment for a living and this is ludicrous to me. There are times when an issue is intermittent and can not be isolated in 5 minutes . My Samsung phones does not work when I zoom in, this would drive me up the wall if I sent it in and a full functionality test was not performed. I can't imagine being a technician and not getting proper time to perform troubleshooting tasks .

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
OP, it sounds like you may have had a Technician who didn't properly perform a functionality Test. It sucks, I would send it back though. Tell them you want it priority for wasting your time.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Put your phone up to your PS5 when it revs up and ask them if they think they fixed your noise issue lol.

Hopefully you get this issue sorted. Faulty new tech is always a bummer.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Yikes, sorry for the poor customer support.

But yeah, given the state of the UK and the general lack of PS5 availability, the best bet is to try sending it again and ensuring it's escalated to higher up.

Because damn that is some lax customer service/tech support to not notice that hideous noise.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy. My disc drive gets loud, but the noise is just PS4 Pro fan level noise. That is just madness.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
So long story short, I got a PS5 from GAME in the UK at launch, and out of the box, the disc drive made a horrific grinding noise 80% of the time while the console is vertical. So I figured that, since PS support were likely to be swamped at launch, I would wait a couple of months and then send it in, and for the time being keep the console horizontal (which mostly sorts the issue out). It's kind of difficult to ignore the noise, it can get extremely period and until I'm sure my unit won't just break down on, go mostly digital for the time being and then and just look at it myself.
Why would you wait a couple of months because there swamped if that was me I'd do it ASAP you had an issue straight out of the box F that you paid 500 you should never wait for an issue like that to get worse then send it in that's just playing risky

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I would send it back with a note to stand it vertically when testing.

I don't see why you'd wait until out of warranty. The resale value of your PS5 is affected and this could break on you. Digital games are often way too expensive leaving you more out of pocket.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful that I have one, I love it to bits and I do feel a bit pedantic for making this thread, but at this point
Don't be grateful and don't feel bad for making this thread. You paid full price for your console, you deserve one that fucking works as intended. The fact that they're hard to find is not your problem, and doesn't change anything. You should absolutely send it back, and be pissed that you have to.